Topic: Rua vs. Jones

Bones is unproven - Shogun is inconsistent even when he wins

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GRemm
GRemm
  • Predictions:  177  |  55.9%
  • Forum Posts:  19
  • Post Score: 11

03.15.2011 | 1:26 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

This comes down to Shogun's desire and the state of his knees post surgery vs. Jon Jones' confidence and conditioning.

I think Jones is nervous - he has never acted as ****y or arrogant as he has in recent interviews and I believe his over-confidence persona is his mechanism for coping with the stress of moving up so dramatically in competition and sideways in opponents styles.

I believe Shogun likes being the underdog and has a desire to defend the belt at least a couple of times in order not to be "one and done" for belt defenses. In this division the churn is so quick and contenders so numerous that reclaiming a lost belt is a lot more difficult than in other weight classes.

Recent training vids show Shogun moving a lot more laterally than he has in the last few fights since Griffin, which makes me think the rehab went well and that Shogun should have this via knockout power, amazing sweeps and a veteran's game plan.

"Two half philosophers will probably never a whole metaphysician make. -- Gaston Bachelard"

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,571
  • Post Score: 275

03.15.2011 | 3:46 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Shogun is more experienced and of the two, maybe the more technical fighter.  Jones' height, reach, and unorthodox style are so difficult to deal with.  He's just a freak of nature... it's like fighting a different species.

I've got Bones Jones via dominant victory.

"I live, I die, I live again."

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

03.15.2011 | 3:50 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

I dont know about shogun being inconsistent, i just think he was dealing with some serious lingering knee issues that were hampering his overall performance. I really like shogun here especially in the underdog roll but Jones is one of a kind. its a fight for the ages thats for sure. 

"fresh outta Oakland..."

Samson
Samson
  • Predictions:  1,142  |  60.2%
  • Forum Posts:  210
  • Post Score: 187

03.15.2011 | 5:33 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I like the post, I'm just struggling with the title. Shogun is inconsistent, when he wins? He is inconsistent maybe because of his knee problems. He was hurt going into the Forrest fight. He doesn't look inconsistent when he was stomping peoples head in Pride. Of course JJ is nervous. Do u remember his first primetime fight against Vera? He almost fell on his ass doing that cartwheel. He looked alittle better against Mads, but Joe Rogan said it 10x in the ppv against Bader: "look how nervous he is" . I don't know, Jones is a freak, but I'm old school, gotta go Shogun.

"In 96' Royce Gracie made me tap...one of many."

Kokid951
Kokid951
  • Predictions:  667  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  540
  • Post Score: 213

03.15.2011 | 6:08 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Decision  

i agree i just think this is a tough fight for Rua but hes been looking like his "old" self lately so hopfully he will pull it off!

"dont mistake kindness for weakness"

MikeAWhitney
MikeAWhitney
  • Predictions:  296  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  252
  • Post Score: 50

03.16.2011 | 2:15 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Decision  

The title says it all. I have Jones though.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : The History And Significance Of The ADCC Submission Fighting World Championship
  • UFC.com : UFC Announces Multi-Year Partnership With PCYC NSW
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘King’ Of The Jungle?
  • MMA Mania : ‘Put That Whiskey Bottle Down!’ Usman Fires Back At McGregor
  • Middle Easy : Ben Askren Claims Conor McGregor’s ‘Jealous’ Of UFC Rival Khabib: ‘No Money Can Make Up For That’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Be Upset!’ Topuria ‘Too Short’ To Headline Over O’Malley
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 21: Patchy Mix, Lerone Murphy move up
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier 'much closer than a lot of people are giving it credit for'
  • MMA Mania : MMA Prospect Watch: Meet ‘The Punjabi Prince’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor is ‘Cold in the Soul’ for Michael Chandler, Plans to Fight Three Times in 2024
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Curtis Blaydes On Tom Aspinall, Alex Pereira, Was Ciryl Gane A Go For UFC 304?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 93 card official with 13 bouts
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Usyk is undisputed, Taylor vs Catterall 2, Canelo’s next fight
  • MMA Junkie : Belal Muhammad explains why he doesn't like 'piece of trash' Sean Strickland
  • MMA Mania : ‘Piece Of Trash’ Strickland Is ‘All Talk’
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Ready to Knock Islam Makhachev Unconscious at UFC 302: ‘The Ref’s Going to Be Pulling Me Off Him’
  • Middle Easy : Husband and Coach of UFC Fighter Hailey Cowan Arrested, Accused of Sexually Assaulting Minor ‘Hundreds of Times’
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says next fight after Curtis Blaydes has to be for undisputed belt: 'I'll wait it out if I have to'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier makes bold prediction for Islam Makhachev fight at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Labels ‘Little R—ard’ Topuria ‘A Non-Champion’