Topic:

Mike Tyson Effect = Jon Jones (currently), Fedor (previously)

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

USMC
USMC
  • Predictions:  804  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  170
  • Post Score: 58

01.09.2012 | 10:49 PM ET

The Mike Tyson Effect is not merely about someone's "knockout power".

Good read on what it's supposed to mean:

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/9/26/2451942/ufc-quick-quote-jon-jones-already-has-the-mike-tyson-effect

At just 24-years-young, and with little more than three years of professional mixed martial arts (MMA) experience, UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones is already beating his opponents mentally before they are locked inside a cage with him. That's according to Pat Barry, who explained on today's UFC on Versus 6conference call that "Bones" is so good, and so dangerous, that he is downright scary. So scary, in fact, that it strikes fear into the hearts and minds of his overmatched opposition. Quinton Jackson, admittedly, couldn't pull the trigger in their recent fight at UFC 135Mauricio Rua got straight up smoked at UFC 128. In fact, no one to date has even come close figuring out the 6'4" phenom. Boxing's former undisputed heavyweight champion, Mike Tyson, tore through the sport's best with similar ease back in the late 1980s, before Buster Douglas miraculously proved that he was mortal. Fabricio Werdum accomplished a similar feat in MMA when he upended the previously unstoppable Fedor Emelianenko just last year. Is this the beginning of Jones' long journey to perceived invincibility or can someone figure him out sooner than expected?

Just sayin'

* Edited at 01.09.2012, 10:55 PM ET *

Responses

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

01.09.2012 | 10:51 PM ET

I see. I'll have to change my list

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

01.09.2012 | 10:52 PM ET

@usmc, haha. I know what youre talking about. In the other thread, I was about to post Jones as an example too.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

USMC
USMC

01.09.2012 | 10:56 PM ET

Beware of the NOOBS... 

noobs to combat sports.
USMC
USMC

01.09.2012 | 11:22 PM ET

"Mike Tyson Effect" Rankings:

All-Time
1. Fedor
2. Anderson
3. Jon Jones
4. Chuck Liddell
5. Royce Gracie
6. Bas Rutten
7. Wanderlei Silva
8. Matt Hughes
9. Cro Cop
10. Rampage

Currently
1. Jon Jones
2. Anderson Silva
3. Junior dos Santos
4. Jose Aldo
5. GSP
6. Hector Lombard
7. Alistair Overeem
8. Nick Diaz
9. Gilbert Melendez
10. Jimi Manuwa

* Edited at 01.09.2012, 11:23 PM ET *

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,255  |  71.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

01.10.2012 | 6:37 AM ET

@USMC Well i was going to thank you for bringing this up but since you called me and everybody who build this list a NOOB i changed my opinion on that. Instead of thanking you I call you SMARTY-PANTS from now on...

Fair enough isn't it?

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

USMC
USMC

01.10.2012 | 11:40 PM ET

@ dielegende23

It's alright.  Maybe a bit of a cheap-shot on my part, but this just irked me for some reason.

If you're not a Boxing fan, or you're too young... no big deal, you didn't know.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Khabib Nurmagomedov Asked For Judge’s ‘Name And Location’ After Hearing ‘Crazy’ Islam Makhachev Vs. Dustin Poirier Scorecard
  • Bad Left Hook : WBO orders Buatsi vs Hutchinson as Yarde butts heads with Queensberry
  • Bad Left Hook : WBO orders Joshua Buatsi vs Willy Hutchinson as Anthony Yarde butts heads with Queensberry
  • MMA Junkie : Ailin Perez shoots her shot with Kayla Harrison callout after UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : MMA Pound-for-Pound Rankings: Who will dethrone Islam Makhachev?
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (May 27-June 2)
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He’s not the fighter that he was’: Hearn reacts to Wilder’s latest stoppage loss
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He’s not the fighter that he was’: Eddie Hearn reacts to Deontay Wilder’s latest stoppage loss
  • MMA Mania : Everyone Is Mad At Mikey
  • Bad Left Hook : Daniel Dubois makes a statement, Deontay Wilder hits the wall: Boxing rankings for June 3, 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Paulo Costa vows 'to take heads off' after UFC 302 loss: 'F*ck points or conserving energy'
  • MMA Mania : Up Next! Cannonier Battles Imavov In Louisville!
  • MMA Mania : Volkanovski Wants To Dance With Poirier
  • MMAFighting.com : The MMA Hour with Demetrious Johnson, Eddie Alvarez, Randy Brown, Ailin Perez and more at 1 p.m. ET
  • MMA Mania : White On McGregor Partying: ‘I Don’t Know What’s Real’
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White blasts judge who scored UFC 302 fight for Paulo Costa: 'It was f*cking nuts'
  • MMA Mania : Fight ‘In Jeopardy?’ Fans React To Canceled McGregor Presser
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Coach likes Conor McGregor fight for Islam Makhachev: ‘I want to see him get beat by Islam’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57: How to watch Jared Cannonier vs. Nassourdine Imavov, start time, Louisville fight card, odds, more
  • Jits Magazine : EBI 21: The Absolutes Full Results And Review