Tapology Forums

165 lbs Division Grand Prix

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Max2200
Max2200
  • Predictions:  457  |  53.8%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 193

12.09.2020 | 3:45 PM ET

Are you in favor of a 165 lbs Division Grand Prix? Do you think more LW or more WW will be involved? Should WW be 175? Give me your thoughts.

"Join the Karate Combat Fans forum if you like Karate Combat."

Responses

Drmaxis2
Drmaxis2
  • Predictions:  2,843  |  70.9%
  • Forum Posts:  558
  • Post Score: 478

12.26.2020 | 8:34 PM ET

I'd be fine with it happening. I bet the split would be 60% LW and 40% WW. if you are going to make a 165 lb division you should make WW 175. To add some spice I'm gonna make my own 16 man GP. I think some givens would be Poirier, Wonderboy, Colby, RDA, Lee, Masvidal, Burns, and Ferguson. Other fun names would be Dober, Felder, Oliveira, Conor, and Chiesa. I think most of the other ranked LWs are too small and the other WWs are too big, so the last 3 slots could go to whoever can make the weight. I guess throw in Hooker, Chandler, and Khamzat for a wild card if you must. I am not super set on the last 3, but I think it'd go down like this with this hypothetical 16 man tourney: 

Poirier vs Colby I think Poirier beats him in an insane slugfest
RDA vs Dober I could see this going either way, but would not be super surprised to see Dober KO him with the amount of total damage RDA has accumulated and Dober's power. (Dober advances)
Felder vs Chiesa I think Chiesa wrestle****s Felder
Conor vs Burns Conor is going to tap
Ferguson vs Masvidal I think Masvidal wins at this point but Tony might surprise us when cutting less weight
Wonderboy vs Hooker Wonderboy picks him apart
Khamzat vs Oliveira I think Oliveira wins
Lee vs Chandler Lee beats his ass

Poirier vs Dober is another slugfest, that's Poirier's specialty, he wins this too.
Chiesa vs Burns Burns wins cuz he's a bad match up for Chiesa
Wonderboy wins the rematch with Masvidal
Oliveira beat Lee recently, I don't think it changes 10 lbs up, but who knows since Lee cuts so much weight

Not even sure who'd win Poirier vs Burns, I guess I'd say Poirier since I think Burns' increased success is due to his lessened weight cut, and I think Poirier would benefit from the same by going to 165.
Wonderboy beats Oliveira by decision

Wonderboy beats Poirier to win the thing.

* Edited at 12.26.2020, 8:35 PM ET *

"What a Grand and Intoxicating Profile"

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,470  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  6,582
  • Post Score: 133

12.26.2020 | 8:51 PM ET

I really don't see the problem with more weight classes but dana has shot them down before.
Also make a super heavy weight tired of restrictions I wanna see a 500lb sumo squash a 230lb wrestler.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,200  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,264
  • Post Score: 189

12.27.2020 | 11:41 AM ET

ok with 165-175 but no more division in the higer weight class, theres already not a lot of H.W. out-there.

"Never go down without a fight"

Drmaxis2
Drmaxis2

12.27.2020 | 1:08 PM ET

I agree with Hyrm, add the division for 165 and give us one for 195 and I'll be pretty much permanently satisfied.

Hyrm
Hyrm

12.27.2020 | 1:11 PM ET

I dont even think 195 is a good idea, 185-205 are just limit right now and probably 15% of MW goes to 175 if it hapen.

Drmaxis2
Drmaxis2

12.27.2020 | 1:29 PM ET

You make a good point about 195 Hyrm. It could be a shallow division and would probably destabilize the surrounding ones. I guess my brain's need for symmetry was my foremost reasoning, but also I remember everyone from Bisping to Weidman to Jacare to Romero to Rockhold (so the old guard of MW) saying that 195 would be ideal (which makes sense since they've all fought at 205 before). Mousasi would be another one since he's a tweener, and I could see arguments for Costa, Hermansson, Vettori, and Adesanya. I guess maybe an outside of the box solution would be to have 165 175 195 205 205+ because I think there are fewer people that'd be undersized at a 195 division than we are currently undersized at MW (especially since now 175 is 5 lbs heavier so more people could go down). Just spitballing though, and they'd never do it because of the wealth of history at 185 now. My point in listing the older MWs wasn't that they still currently need somewhere to go btw, just that historically if it would have been ideal for them, I'm sure its the same for many of the current MWs that wouldn't want to go to 205 too. Also Smith, Thiago, and probably Volkan would also probably prefer 195 to staying at 205.

* Edited at 12.27.2020, 1:29 PM ET *

Drmaxis2
Drmaxis2

12.27.2020 | 1:34 PM ET

Looking at the current MW rankings now, Cannonier would also def be a 195er, so the only current ranked MWs that I think would be too big for 175 and maybe a little too small for 195 are (possibly) Whittaker, Till, Brunson, Hall, Shahbazyan, and probably Tavares and Heinisch. I also think Kelvin would def go to 175, 175 would be perfect for Holland and Omari, and I think if he wanted to, Shahbazyan could def squeeze down to 175.   

* Edited at 12.27.2020, 1:35 PM ET *

Hyrm
Hyrm

12.27.2020 | 3:01 PM ET

165 175 190 205 205+ seems good to me but we are only speculate because Dana dont want any movement in weight division, dont know why!

Max2200
Max2200
  • Predictions:  457  |  53.8%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 193

12.27.2020 | 7:11 PM ET

I agree, except I think the Colby takes-down Poirier and just switch that and it will be pretty accurate I think 

"Join the Karate Combat Fans forum if you like Karate Combat."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57 post-event facts: Punahele Soriano sets multiple new all-time UFC records
  • MMA Junkie : Sergio Pettis reflects on Rizin 47 loss to Kyoji Horiguchi: 'It's an eye-opener'
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall Copying Edwards’ Plan For Late UFC 304 Start Time
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Jared Cannonier after UFC on ESPN 57 loss?
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Best of UFC's Raul Rosas Jr.
  • MMAFighting.com : Calvin Kattar vs. Kyle Nelson on tap for Sept. 7 UFC event
  • MMA Junkie : Raul Rosas Jr. says Ricky Turcios claimed illness, staph infection after submission loss at UFC on ESPN 57
  • MMAFighting.com : Bruno Silva appeal denied, result in Chris Weidman fight remains technical decision loss
  • Middle Easy : RIZIN 47 results: Kyoji Horiguchi Decisions Sergio Pettis To Avenge His 2021 Loss, Kleber Koike Erbst Submits Juan Archuleta
  • MMAFighting.com : Beverly Hills police issue statement regarding Ryan Garcia arrest for felony vandalism
  • MMA Mania : ‘I’m Proud Of Him, But I’m Gonna Get Him’
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Nassourdine Imavov after UFC on ESPN 57 win?
  • Jits Magazine : Matheus Diniz Becomes Latest Champion To Leave ADCC 2024 For Craig Jones Invitational
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch William Haycox finish rare banana split submission at FCC 38
  • Middle Easy : Josh Thomson Disagrees With Dana White, Says Jon Jones Didn’t Beat The Best Heavyweight But Found Success Because Of His Wrestling
  • MMA Junkie : Ex-UFC title challenger Dominick Reyes relieved to snap skid: 'I'm not going anywhere'
  • MMA Mania : Contract Signed For Prochazka’s Next Fight
  • MMAFighting.com : RIZIN 47 results: Kyoji Horiguchi avenges loss to Sergio Pettis, Kleber Koike Erbst grabs slick heel hook
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC on ESPN 57: Did Jason Herzog ruin Nassourdine Imavov's main event moment?
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jared Gordon Talks Upcoming Fight With Nasrat Haqparast, Paddy Pimblett vs. Bobby Green And Controversial Loss To ‘The Baddy’