Topic: Prospect Watch

I don't think Nick Newell has any business in the UFC.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.26.2018 | 4:17 AM ET

I'll probably set the record for downvotes in this post, and I will preface this by saying that Nick is a roundly better man than I will ever be in every way that matters.He'd also smack the **** out of me.

That stated I categorically, unequivocally do not accept that a one-armed man can compete with the best MMA fighters in the world. And the fact this seems as though it might be allowed to transpire is a species of abomination. Let's first address the elephant trunk in the room:

I submit his record belies the unspoken reality that he has benefited from his opponents either consciously or unconciously not wanting to beat the **** out of someone who is, at least to some degree, essentially functionally disabled.

I also do not think it is ethically justifiable that any given fighter to be ordered to do so, regardless of a condition of total consent. It puts people in an ultimatum whereby they are made to choose integrity over their careers. I consider this unfair.

While it will undoubtedly sound callous and cynical, I would probably tap to an RNC too if I had a sweaty, cephalopod-esque tentacle  with gummy-baby like nublets sprouting at the  tip rubbed against my face. 

By all means, tell me I'm sadistic sperg. Just Don't tell me I'm not saying something you're privately thinking.Because that thing looks like  a lamprey. I am experiencing phantom odours just thinking about it. Yeah, I know. Rain down rotten cabbages at me from the apex of your moral high ground.

But you and I both know you won't be letting Nick fix you a sandwhich anytime soon.

If he is to compete, then I suggest he be provided with a custom made glove to cover the stump, which, according to wikipedia is "short yet muscular" and while I'm not sure whether it's the sort of thing he can open a jar of pickles with, and I don't want to imagine how unthinkably obscene that act would be, it does apparently have some function and utility.

Newell has been extended an invitation to compete in the contender series, and while I'm sure most will see this as the UFC giving him a hand, I mostly see this as a fairly blatant PR play from a fairly exploitative company which routinely shafts its employees in a variety if ways if there's a financial incentive to do so.

* Edited at 04.26.2018, 4:54 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 9 months, 3 weeks, 5 days, 3 hours, and 45 minutes from now.

Responses Page 3

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

04.28.2018 | 2:49 AM ET

So I see ol' potato brain got suspended, which gave me a good laugh and a half.

But anyways back on topic.

If Nick Newell can almost beat Justin Gaethje, if it weren't for illegal knees, with one hand and a stump in WSOF, I don't see why he shouldn't get a chance to fight in the UFC.  He clearly has the ability to at least beat lower level guys in the division.  Especially with some of the guys they bring in now.  My god, some of them are just absolute trash.  That said, once he starts to get to facing some of the elite vets and top 15 types, I think that is where Newell will get tested and we will get a definitive answer on whether he belongs in the UFC.

"..."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.28.2018 | 3:49 AM ET

I actually regret this thread. It serves absolutely no point whatsoever and has degenerated spectacularly.

I'd prefer if it were just effaced from the virtual universe entirely if you'd oblige me, Greg.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 9 months, 3 weeks, 5 days, 3 hours, and 45 minutes from now.
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,575
  • Post Score: 275

04.28.2018 | 10:04 AM ET

@Fishrat while I don't share your conclusion and agree with your reasons about whether or not Newell belongs in the UFC, I don't think the thread needs to come down.  A bunch of other people have spent time writing up their opinions etc and it seems like they all would have an equal say if the whole thread should be wiped out.

"I live, I die, I live again."

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

04.28.2018 | 1:37 PM ET

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 4 months, 2 days, 17 hours, and 47 seconds from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

04.28.2018 | 2:04 PM ET

Griffin was just drafted by the Seattle Seahawks. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 4 months, 2 days, 17 hours, and 47 seconds from now.

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Brunno Ferreira calls for Bo Nickal after spinning-elbow KO at UFC on ESPN 57
  • MMAFighting.com : Saul Milton of Chase & Status talks MMA fandom, Tyson Fury walking out to ‘Baddadan’ for Francis Ngannou fight
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57 post-event facts: Punahele Soriano sets multiple new all-time UFC records
  • MMA Junkie : Sergio Pettis reflects on Rizin 47 loss to Kyoji Horiguchi: 'It's an eye-opener'
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall Copying Edwards’ Plan For Late UFC 304 Start Time
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Jared Cannonier after UFC on ESPN 57 loss?
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Best of UFC's Raul Rosas Jr.
  • MMAFighting.com : Calvin Kattar vs. Kyle Nelson on tap for Sept. 7 UFC event
  • MMA Junkie : Raul Rosas Jr. says Ricky Turcios claimed illness, staph infection after submission loss at UFC on ESPN 57
  • MMAFighting.com : Bruno Silva appeal denied, result in Chris Weidman fight remains technical decision loss
  • Middle Easy : RIZIN 47 results: Kyoji Horiguchi Decisions Sergio Pettis To Avenge His 2021 Loss, Kleber Koike Erbst Submits Juan Archuleta
  • MMAFighting.com : Beverly Hills police issue statement regarding Ryan Garcia arrest for felony vandalism
  • MMA Mania : ‘I’m Proud Of Him, But I’m Gonna Get Him’
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Nassourdine Imavov after UFC on ESPN 57 win?
  • Jits Magazine : Matheus Diniz Becomes Latest Champion To Leave ADCC 2024 For Craig Jones Invitational
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch William Haycox finish rare banana split submission at FCC 38
  • Middle Easy : Josh Thomson Disagrees With Dana White, Says Jon Jones Didn’t Beat The Best Heavyweight But Found Success Because Of His Wrestling
  • MMA Junkie : Ex-UFC title challenger Dominick Reyes relieved to snap skid: 'I'm not going anywhere'
  • MMA Mania : Contract Signed For Prochazka’s Next Fight
  • MMAFighting.com : RIZIN 47 results: Kyoji Horiguchi avenges loss to Sergio Pettis, Kleber Koike Erbst grabs slick heel hook