Topic: Training & Technique

Advice on firing back whilst under pressure.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Alex1995
Alex1995
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 100

01.09.2018 | 7:39 PM ET

I'm fairly new to MMA. I'd say it's been a good couple months. I've had the Christmas period off. I sparred today and I was getting tagged left right and centre. I don't mind taking a few punches as it helps me learn, however I'm unsure whether I should just walk through shots sometimes or not.

I have a problem of covering up too much under pressure and being unable to fire back my own shots.

I use my range well with teeps, leg kicks and oblique kicks. But I suck at being the aggressor and firing back. 
I'm kinda hesitant whilst stood in front of an opponent in range. 

Any advice? 

Responses

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

01.09.2018 | 9:08 PM ET

It kinda depends how old you are, but always avoid head damage as much as possible and spar way less. Going to technique, if you're a natural counter-striker watch guys like Lomachenko if only from a technical standpoint. The way he uses his jab and footwork sets up his shots and he's usually always first even though he's a counter striker and his footwork sets up his defense.

Guys like Lomachenko are suburb defensive fighters, awesome footwork etc, while still being very aggressive himself, especially with a jab. Your goal should be to master the jab and footwork, most don't and from what I've studied in strikers, those are probably the two biggest tools in striking. 

If you want to throw caution to the wind and you think you have a good enough chin, it might help to study guys like Ray Sefo or Mark Hunt, who tend to take a shot or two to close the distance and land their bigger shots. If you don't have the power in your shots yet, wait until you grow into your body and decide your style at that point later on. Maybe a hybrid style.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 1 month, 3 weeks, 5 days, 20 hours, and 39 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : UFC Louisville: Bad Stoppage Kills Cannonier’s Title Bid
  • MMA Mania : ‘$2 Million Headbutt’ Kept Oliveira Off MSG Card
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 4: Make your predictions for heavyweights and women's flyweights in Connecticut
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : Punahele Soriano contemplated retirement prior to UFC on ESPN 57 win: 'I felt so much pressure'
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White hopes Tony Ferguson retires after UFC on ABC 7 regardless of result
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Anderson Silva open workout ahead of Chael Sonnen boxing match
  • MMA Mania : Cig Smoking UFC Fighter Wins $50k Bonus
  • MMA Mania : Cig Smoking Fighter Finds Out He Won $50k Bonus
  • MMA Junkie : Brunno Ferreira calls for Bo Nickal after spinning-elbow KO at UFC on ESPN 57
  • MMAFighting.com : Saul Milton of Chase & Status talks MMA fandom, Tyson Fury walking out to ‘Baddadan’ for Francis Ngannou fight
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57 post-event facts: Punahele Soriano sets multiple new all-time UFC records
  • MMA Junkie : Sergio Pettis reflects on Rizin 47 loss to Kyoji Horiguchi: 'It's an eye-opener'
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall Copying Edwards’ Plan For Late UFC 304 Start Time
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Jared Cannonier after UFC on ESPN 57 loss?
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Best of UFC's Raul Rosas Jr.
  • MMAFighting.com : Calvin Kattar vs. Kyle Nelson on tap for Sept. 7 UFC event
  • MMA Junkie : Raul Rosas Jr. says Ricky Turcios claimed illness, staph infection after submission loss at UFC on ESPN 57
  • MMAFighting.com : Bruno Silva appeal denied, result in Chris Weidman fight remains technical decision loss
  • Middle Easy : RIZIN 47 results: Kyoji Horiguchi Decisions Sergio Pettis To Avenge His 2021 Loss, Kleber Koike Erbst Submits Juan Archuleta