Topic: Industry, Business, & Competition

If Bellator PPV Is A Success, How Big Of A Threat Will They Be To UFC's Future ?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

IAmLegend012
IAmLegend012
  • Predictions:  1,649  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  236
  • Post Score: 158

03.21.2017 | 2:41 PM ET

If Bellator 180 was to draw 250k - 350k buys, which if they promote the Sonnen v Wanderlei rivalry to its fullest potential, is a realistic possibility, can they become what WCW was to WWF in the 90s. (For Those Who Don't Know What I Mean)

They have already started to sign high level fighters away from the UFC. Showing that they can compete with the UFC in the PPV market can become another selling point when trying to sign free agents away from the UFC, adding to the sponsorship & fully guaranteed money. The average UFC PPV buy rate in 2016 was 666,538, but if you remove all the McGregor & Rousey PPV's, both whom might not compete in 2017, it drops down to 366,444 avg buys. So if they were to get 350k buys for Bellator 180 that would put them right up there with the average UFC PPV.

With the amount of high level fighter voicing they're displeasure with the UFC, weathers it being skipped in line for a title shot,reebok or the money they're being payed. Bellator, especially a Bellator that can compete with the UFC in terms of PPV buys, will become a much more attractive place to be. 

Responses

boredoms
boredoms
  • Predictions:  47,181  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,267
  • Post Score: 236

03.21.2017 | 2:54 PM ET

"I am trained in gorilla warfare" - Stay Ready

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

03.21.2017 | 3:33 PM ET

Bellator 120 did between 65K-100K PPV buys.  UFC can do those numbers with a crappy card. Bellator did that with the best lineup they could throw out at the time. With that being said Bellator 180 is pretty nice so far and now has Coker instead of Rebney but still, even if 180 doubles 120 which is unrealistic thats still a subpar number compared to a UFC PPV. The only way Bellator becomes a WCW to UFCs WWF is if WME turns UFC into a steaming pile of ****, which they are trying to do but it would take a lot to flip UFC on its back.

Edit: The return of GSP is 2 weeks later, im sure thats no accident. So even though Bellator has that weekend to themselves a lot of people are gonna save their money for the GSP return a few weeks later.

* Edited at 03.21.2017, 3:41 PM ET *

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

03.22.2017 | 2:53 AM ET

It will be lucky to break 100k and considering the likely cost of the payroll that won't be good.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,552  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

03.22.2017 | 4:47 AM ET

Eh, for one, I think the UFC can just drown them out by sheer number of cards (and number of marketable fighters). Bellator can put on 2-3 mega-cards a year tops. While as most UFC fight nights are maybe one notch under a Bellator mega-card in marketability (that's fighter's marketability because the UFC brand also makes them more marketable, but I'm not counting that for the sake of this argument) and probably 1 notch over that mega-card in top-to-bottom talent level and quality of fights.

But let's say for a second they do become somewhat of a threat. All the UFC need to do is counter their blockbuster cards with one 3 times better for the first 2 or 3 times and Bellator drops out of competition faster than you can say Jack Robinson. Viacom won't lose bazillions of dollars just to try and compete with the UFC. Bellator is a side business for them.

So far, the UFC have "let" Bellator have their monster cards, they've spent truckloads of money, put Fedor's whole team on the payroll on top of what they're paying him and don't have too much to show for it yet. PPV sales have been chump change, Benson flopped, Rory, Davis, Bader aren't exactly box office monsters, Rampage is getting fatter and fatter, Chael is "Bob Sapping" away his high paychecks, Kimbo died, Royce is 109 ... the list goes on. They're not even on the UFC radar apart from Dana's personal ego. Most of Bellator's marketable fighters are north of 35 years old and are all back fighting just because they can half-ass it and get payed good money and I don't really see Bellator managing to use their names to build REAL marketable stars to succeed them once they're all gone again.

If they ever get on that radar, the UFC will crush them, but as of now, every UFC fighter that signs with Bellator only helps the UFC with their monopoly lawsuit so they're fine with it. The only ones who do that are ones who feels they've just maxed out their title chances (at best) and need to start taking care of the financial aspect of their careers. None of the guys who are up for proximate contention make the move. So the UFC are basically "losing" guys that don't sell and/or need to work their way back to shots. So they're not really losing them are they.

* Edited at 03.22.2017, 4:50 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,433  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,978
  • Post Score: 194

03.22.2017 | 5:33 AM ET

Bellator would have to do a lot more than one 250K buy PPV to be a real threat to the UFC. It doesn't help that more promotions are becoming threats so even with all of the UFC's questionable cuts some guys are going to ACB, some to WSOF, some to RIZIN, so on. They just don't have the resources available to really compete unless things keep changing.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,544  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,603
  • Post Score: 69

03.22.2017 | 1:48 PM ET

No way can Bellator keep up with the UFC.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : 10 Types Of BJJ Guards Grapplers Should Know
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! BJJ Star Craig Jones Dumps $1 Million In Cash On Rogan’s Desk
  • MMA Mania : Lima Inks Bellator Contract Extension
  • MMA Mania : ‘No One’s Feeling Sorry For You’
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Fight of the Month for May: Steve Erceg gives commendable test to Alexandre Pantoja at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: Dustin Poirier's record 'smokes' Islam Makhachev's
  • UFC.com : A SUBTLE APPROACH TO SUMMER
  • MMA Mania : Tsarukyan ‘Should Thank’ Makhachev For UFC Career
  • MMA Junkie : 'EA UFC 5' continues roster expansion with four free fighter additions
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Believes It All Fell Apart for Alexander Volkanovski After the Makhachev Rematch: ‘I Thought He Won the First Time’
  • MMAFighting.com : Benoit Saint Denis eyes UFC fights in Manchester and Paris, ‘more determined than ever to become the champion’
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Accuses Conor McGregor of PED Use Ahead of UFC 303 Return: ‘He’s Out of His Mind’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Eagle is landed': Khabib Nurmagomedov returns to corner Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : ‘Diamond’s’ Kryptonite? Khabib Confirmed Back At UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria on how Sean O'Malley fight would go: 'I can do with him whatever I want'
  • MMAFighting.com : Khabib Nurmagomedov will serve as cornerman for Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • UFC.com : This Week On UFC FIGHT PASS | May 27, 2024 - June 2, 2024
  • MMA Mania : ‘Everything Fell Apart’ For Volkanovski
  • MMAFighting.com : Talita Bernardo vs. Olga Rubin title fight headlines Invicta FC’s return in June
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 pre-event facts: Islam Makhachev, Dustin Poirier battle for history – and lightweight title