Topic:

Best Newcomers of 2016

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

12.20.2016 | 6:05 PM ET

2016 has been an interesting year for the UFC for a multitude of reasons.  And while the continued hype train of McGregor dominated most of that discussion, another intriguing development that happened this year was continuing trend from 2015 of an influx of new talent to the organization.

So, to build off of a ranking made by Poir420 last year, here is the ranking for the best UFC newcomers of 2016.  In order for a fighter to qualify for this list, they needed to make their debut THIS YEAR.  All are welcome to contribute.

"..."

Responses

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,526  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,804
  • Post Score: 180

12.20.2016 | 9:05 PM ET

Ok here you go. 

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

12.20.2016 | 10:09 PM ET

Lando has obviously been the most interesting newcomer, but I see Ledet, Craig, Grasso, and Moreno at least becoming top 15 in their respective divisions.

* Edited at 12.20.2016, 10:13 PM ET *

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,063  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

12.20.2016 | 10:27 PM ET

Awesome thread @Greenhornet shout to the one and only @Poir420.Hopefully tomorrow I can put a list together.One thing I find interesting is,I have watched all or most of Landon's career and really wasn't that impressed up until his last fight or two before the UFC.I really didn't put much stock into him despite always hearing people at Jackson's talking about how bright his future was.Generally it's those guys with the really strong basics that improve fast,but he has his own style and his improvements have been great.

He's a totally different fighter from when he started,which we usually expect from prospects that are always praised at their camps and look like they have potential,but I can say I underestimated his potential improvements and didn't think he has a very high ceiling,but now I do.He's been really impressive.What do you guys think of him at 145?He's a bit small for 155,but i'm not the type that thinks everyone should move down,I just think it's potentially in his future.
yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

12.20.2016 | 10:31 PM ET

I could see him making 145 easily, I'm still not sold on his ceiling, though. I see him becoming a Lightweight/Featherweight Uriah Hall. He looks very, very intimidating at the beginning of his UFC career, but once he fights high level guys and loses, a blueprint to beat him becomes very clear.

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,298  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,974
  • Post Score: 195

12.21.2016 | 1:20 AM ET

Vannata looked better against Ferguson on short notice in his first UFC fight than Hall has looked against much worse talent with more experience. Vannata also doesn't have Hall's tendency to stand around and do nothing. Don't think I would compare them yet.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  40,063  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

12.21.2016 | 2:36 AM ET

I kind of agree with the last two posts to be honest.As far as @yasdas having doubts and saying he could be somewhat of a bust once he fights good guys again.I believe this has a high potential of happening because I have watched his whole career,I seen plenty of weaknesses and I have also seen his improvements,but i'm also not sold.With that said I have turned a corner on his potential,I think it's much better than I thought it was,but still need to see another fight or two.

I know its annoying to say,but there is a good possibility that Tony took him lightly,got into tough guy mode,didn't respect him and kinda paid for it via being rocked a few times.I'm not sure that is Landon being that good or Tony not respecting him and kinda just getting caught fighting without the rhythm he has shown in the past and especially recently,I tend to think it's the latter.

Landon's win over Makdessi was amazing,but we didn't really get to see much.We have also seen people look amazing like that and never live up to the hype.In fact,statistically,that's usually the case.

Landon has made really good improvements from what I have seen,but watching all his other fights and these two UFC fights being kinda wishy washy imo as far there being other factors(underestimating,getting caught just right,kinda fluk'ISH ko)I agree in a sense with Yasdas that he could end up being another Urijah Hall when it comes to looking like a killer and then in many's eyes being a bust when he doesn't beat top'ish guys,but I totally agree with @pillorychoke cause,he might be a hyped fighter then struggle like Hall,but he'll never be the type of fighter Hall is,as far as being so on and off...who's going to show up type performances,Landon idt could ever fight like hall,they are like opposite fighters,so Landon will never lose via getting outworked imo,so totally see both sides.

I have to say though,I was really excited with Landon when he started fighting and after the JP Reese fight,I was just kinda whatever,iirc I thought he lost that fight,and watching interviews and all these Jackson's people building him up I just wasn't too impressed,I know it was his 3rd fight and Reese is a bit of a beast on the lower circuit but,that fight kind of turned me off from the Landon hype.I still kind of see him as that fighter,I also see him as this unorthodox guy with huge potential,so basically I really have no clue how good he is,but i'm for sure interested to find out.If I had to guess I think he'll make an impact in the UFC but come up short vs top top guys.Literally just a guess,cause I have no clue with this guy and his huge improvements.Landon does have something special though,it seems,

* Edited at 12.21.2016, 6:07 AM ET *

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

12.21.2016 | 7:17 AM ET

To me, the best newcomer is Lando

Almost knocking out the #2 LW in the world, literally a few punches away, and one of the knock outs of the year against a guy who's a spinning **** type of guy. Plus on top of all that I think of all the newcomers he has the highest ceiling, his fighting style is vicious and I expect more KO's from Lando.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 18 hours, and 48 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘I Hope You Enjoy My Money!’
  • MMA Mania : Is He Back? McGregor Nearly Destroys Sparring Partner
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Hall of Famer Anderson Silva books boxing match with Chael Sonnen on June 15 in Brazil
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva set to box Chael Sonnen in Brazil
  • MMAFighting.com : This Is CineMMA, ‘Bruised’: Does Halle Berry deliver the best MMA fight scene ever?
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Nolan: First UFC win was 'make or break' moment, relieved to overcome mental adversity
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC Vegas 92
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 adds another fight to Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler undercard
  • MMAFighting.com : Leon Edwards, Tom Aspinall, Bobby Green all favored to win in UFC 304 opening odds
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Oleksandr Usyk's epic walkout for undisputed boxing title fight vs. Tyson Fury
  • MMA Mania : Usyk Vs. Fury 2 Targeted For Oct. 12
  • MMAFighting.com : Carlos Ulberg wants top opponent after quick finish at UFC St. Louis, eyes Jamahal Hill at UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Kris Moutinho continues regional scene tear with TKO, moves to 4-0 since UFC release
  • MMAFighting.com : Ariane Carnelossi reveals facial injuries following UFC Vegas 92 headbutts, responds to Piera Rodriguez
  • MMA Mania : Silva Vs. Crews Boxing Match Coming This June [Updated]
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241 post-event facts: Edson Barboza first to reach double digit Fight of the Night bonuses
  • MMA Junkie : Adrian Yanez relieved to snap losing streak with quick KO at UFC Fight Night 241: 'Last year sucked'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dricus du Plessis defends Jake Paul’s hustle: ‘He’s not a sh*t boxer’
  • MMA Junkie : Ariane Carnelossi reveals injuries, reacts to headbutt: 'What often differentiates humans from animals are the rules'
  • Middle Easy : Drake Blows $565K After Betting On Tyson Fury To Defeat Oleksandr Usyk In Undisputed Title Fight