Tapology Forums

Anderson Silva: You gotta beat him in the first 2min

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ToddWentworth
ToddWentworth
  • Predictions:  651  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 125

08.28.2011 | 3:36 AM ET

If you look at all Anderson Silva's fights. He really don't come out blazing. He gets the timing of all his fighters, and then attacks.  If he can't get a timing on them he will try to pick them apart (see: Lates; Cote). 

Look at Rd 1 against Chael. Sonnen rushed him, and rocked him a couple times. Chael couldn't KO him so he went into wrestler/grinder mode. Great game plan. Though Chael's a complete ass, it was a great game plan.

If you want to KO Silva, it's gotta be in the first 2 min oh fo'get bout it. You got to get him while he still tryin to get the feel fo the fight. Vitor waited too long. By the time Vitor made his attack, Silva had already went into his trot, and got Vitor's timing.

The only fighter that can pull this off, right now, is Hector Lombard. If Hector Lombard blitz Anderson he could beat him. If he hesitant he would end up same way Vitor did.

Of course they is another way. The good old fashioned "greco roman wrastlin" hug and tug, but how many fighters you see dodgin Anderson's missiles fo 5 rounds???

-Todd

* Edited at 08.28.2011, 3:37 AM ET *

Responses

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,137  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

08.28.2011 | 3:46 AM ET

Yeah but he's his most dangerous when you blitz him or come at him, his counter-striking is so ******* deadly, it's like watching a sniper ready to take someones head off. It really is scary.

* Edited at 08.28.2011, 3:57 AM ET *

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

jocabogho
jocabogho
  • Predictions:  262  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  120
  • Post Score: 210

08.28.2011 | 4:00 AM ET

Seriously? All kinds of fighters with all kinds of plans/ styles have been said to be the ones to dethrone Anderson. Anderson has destroyed all of them. Lombard is good, really good, but Anderson is just a step above.

"The only bad part about flying is havin' to come back down to the ******* world."

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

08.28.2011 | 4:13 AM ET

i dont see it ever happening

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

ian729
ian729
  • Predictions:  24,135  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,235
  • Post Score: 259

08.28.2011 | 4:44 AM ET

@jocabogho nice avatar lol
Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

08.28.2011 | 4:50 AM ET

Hector has less of a chance then Yushin did.

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

08.28.2011 | 5:24 AM ET

I think Sonnen landed strikes because Anderson didn't respect any of Chael's stand up. Sonnen doesn't have much power either and I also think his striking is very under rated. I think he actually does have decent stand up for what he gets credit for. 
That being said. There isn't any striker compared to Anderson. You can come out blazing in the first 2 minutes and hope to tag him, but Anderson has a sturdy chin. That also helps him get into his rhythm when someone is being too aggressive with their strikes. Remember he's a counter striker. He knows when to back off and when to engage. 
But I do agree that's the best chance. It's just not easy though. It's hard to find your range with such a smart fighter who analyses your movement.(Anderson Silva). He's not easy to hit and his footwork is unbelievable. So light on his feet. He leaves his head out there sometimes but it's usually because he's not worried about being tagged. He's too busy trying to figure out his opponent. Yet once he connects. It can hurt because his striking is so damn technical. So to get in that range while he's figuring you out isn't always easy.
You just need a very very well rounded fighter who can wrestle. Has good enough striking to keep him on his toes, and when he is you shoot for a take down. Chael had success but doesn't have power like I said. Also someone who can defend submissions. Anderson isn't a slouch on the ground, but he's not a legit high level black belt practitioner imo. I honestly think Machida's jiu-jitsu is better. We just don't see it as much.
Anderson is just too good. The only fighter I can see him losing too is Jones. They are friends though and I don't think that fight will happen. Other than that George's only has the chance at beating Anderson and he has the formula to beat Anderson. It just depends what GSP comes to fight. If he fights safe it could be a very stale fight. Until Anderson figures out his range and connects with something and George's is caught off balance. If the "old" GSP comes to fight and is relentless as well as strategic with his game plan. If he comes in and attacks and plays safe at the right times. He can win if he can handle the heavier Anderson Silva.
Still have Anderson beating George's.
People argue that Anderson is beating up no bodies now, but he's beating any threat that's put in his way. UFC is a challenging promotion. People are just sick of Anderson winning.
He doesn't seem like he's going to fight forever. So what's the point of moving up for him? If GSP is taking so long to move up and is always neglecting the conversation. Why should Anderson when he's already fought in two different weight classes? When he's fought in other weight classes prior his UFC career.
Anderson has nothing left to prove. I think the only challenges he has right now are super fights.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

08.28.2011 | 6:03 AM ET

Anderson's head movement is too good to just come in and blitz him.. You will end up knocked out if you try that.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

08.28.2011 | 6:06 AM ET

Yeah. Dead on Thiago. It just wouldn't be a cake walk to do. 

* Edited at 08.28.2011, 6:07 AM ET *

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

08.28.2011 | 6:10 AM ET

And your right along with being nearly impossible to hit he does have a great chin which allows him to take a shot while figuring his opponent out.. I wouldnt say Machida's Jits is better though.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

lemus
lemus
  • Predictions:  2,737  |  58.0%
  • Forum Posts:  69
  • Post Score: 157

08.28.2011 | 10:34 AM ET

Probably will never happen,but I would love to see Silva/henderson 2. Anderson is on a level of his own. He has maid so many good "pro" fighters look like amatures.
RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

08.28.2011 | 11:28 AM ET

You add a good chin to outstanding reflexes and good defensive skills, and that makes for a very difficult opponent to knock out.  I'm not saying that it's impossible for Anderson Silva to get knocked out, but I think it's very unlikely.  I believe that the method to defeating Silva is on the ground.  While Silva does have a black belt in BJJ, there are many fighters out there who have higher level Jits -- Jacare being the first one to come to mind.  I think that if a guy like Jacare or Maia could get Anderson to the ground, they could beat him.  Souza has outstanding control on the ground, and his submission arsenal is versatile and dangerous.  I don't see Silva submitting either Souza or Maia. 

The only problem with my theory is that Silva does have a black belt in BJJ, and clearly has enough talent to get back to his feet if the fight were to hit the mat.  A good wrestler may give him some problems, but in the end he more than likely finds a submission and ends the fight if he can't get back to his feet because of the wrestler's smother game (i.e.: Sonnen.)  A great Jiu-Jitsu player, if he can keep Silva down, will outwork him if they have a better skill set.

Now, with that being said, I do feel that there is one wrestler that can beat him.  He's got an awesome blend of athleticism, skill, and versatility as well as unending stamina.  He has outstanding wrestling skills, solid control, good ground and pound, and his Jiu-Jitsu is very underrated.  His striking is also very good.  He doesn't leave a lot of room to be countered, and is very calculated in his attacks.  Three initials -- G.S.P.  He could pull off a victory against Silva, I'm convinced.  Styles make fights, and GSP has the style to make the fight his.  Move up and make it happen!

* Edited at 08.28.2011, 11:30 AM ET *

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

t0rch
t0rch
  • Predictions:  5,787  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,658
  • Post Score: 208

08.28.2011 | 11:53 AM ET

I could possibly see Palhares challenging him for about a round, but I don't think he has the chin or the cardio make it competitive for any longer amount of him. 

"I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong."

jocabogho
jocabogho
  • Predictions:  262  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  120
  • Post Score: 210

08.28.2011 | 12:55 PM ET

@ian the man deserves it!!!

"The only bad part about flying is havin' to come back down to the ******* world."

themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

08.28.2011 | 1:12 PM ET

Silva is only going to be beaten when his reflexes and speed start to diminish. Sonnen had the blueprint but that blueprint is a) unfinished and b) only good against an injuired Silva anyway.

As of right now. Silva is unbeatable and is the GOAT.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

geezhound
geezhound
  • Predictions:  6,745  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,297
  • Post Score: 193

08.28.2011 | 4:02 PM ET

I think it's time for Zuffa to start using some common sense with title challengers for Andy, because the massacres are getting old.

We ALL(including The UFC) knew Okami didn't stand a chance last night.

And if the UFC doesn't have a worthy challenger... then they need to go out and find one! It's a big world out there.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Karine Silva will keep 'unreachable' callout secret for one more fight after UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Maker After UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Souza unwilling to take breaks after scoring first octagon win at UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Bogdan Guskov promises to keep delivering exciting fights after UFC Vegas 91 win: ‘I love blood’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Maheshate felt 'extra burden' after consecutive losses
  • MMA Mania : Covington On ‘Nobody’ Garry: ‘He’s Not Serious’
  • MMAFighting.com : Bryan Barberena announces UFC exit, calls for ‘real brawler’ BKFC battle with Mike Perry
  • MMA Junkie : Austin Hubbard admits he was 'super nervous, stressed out' before UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Junkie : Charly Arnolt details historic impromptu UFC cage announcer role: 'I was scared of messing up'
  • MMAFighting.com : Paddy Pimblett responds to UFC 300 callouts from Renato Moicano, Bobby Green
  • MMA Junkie : 'LokDog' Vinicius Oliveira gets Ricky Simon in first fight since UFC Knockout of the Year candidate
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Style, It’s Worst Style For This Guy Dustin’
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves retires from combat sports after Mike Perry knockout loss at KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next