Tapology Forums

ANALYSIS OF # OF WINS REQUIRED TO EARN EVERY UFC TITLE SHOT

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Dakej
Dakej
  • Predictions:  2,722  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,066
  • Post Score: 201

05.25.2015 | 12:33 AM ET

Analysis of the number of wins (if any) required to earn every UFC title shot, with contenders' ages at the time of the fight.  Use the tabs at the bottom to switch between weight classes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tZKBD9DeuK0_MAMzwbEV9_v5cHDyVdPhf1MoFPsJNFc/edit?usp=sharing

Responses

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

05.25.2015 | 2:37 PM ET

Very interesting.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

05.26.2015 | 6:55 AM ET

It is interesting.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

05.26.2015 | 2:15 PM ET

This is very interesting. These types of things interest me. I'm interested in this. Interest.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 3 weeks, 9 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
joking_joe
joking_joe
  • Predictions:  6,589  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  945
  • Post Score: 393

05.26.2015 | 2:33 PM ET

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

05.26.2015 | 9:12 PM ET

Wow, Barao screwed the bantamweight average.

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,005  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

05.27.2015 | 12:14 AM ET

Interesting stuff. Pretty surprised to see that the winning streak average is so high at heavyweight though it seems that's because of a few outliers.

Also interesting is that we currently have some potential contenders which would shake up some records:

Cerrone is the next lightweight title contender on an 8 fight streak, the 2cnd longest in history.
Jacare is a potential middleweight contender on an 8 fight(2cnd longest in history) winning streak and 5 fight(tied for longest) UFC streak.
Assuncao is a potential bantamweight contender on a 7 fight all UFC win streak which is the longest UFC streak by far at bantamweight.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

05.28.2015 | 1:05 AM ET

McGregor is tied for highest ufc streak before a featherweight title, and everyone ranked above him has already lost to the champion. There is no way to justify the opinion that he doesn't deserve a title shot. 

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

05.28.2015 | 3:01 AM ET

I love how TJ Dillashaw is one of the most vocal Conor-hasn't-earned-his-shot-ists when he got his shot on a 1 fight win "streak" ... against Easton.

In fact his only high level win is Barao but "Conor hasn't faced a wrestler"

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

05.28.2015 | 3:43 AM ET

But Conor hasn't faced a wrestler.....He's on a 5 fight winstreak, beat two top 10 level guys and undeniably deserves a title shot....It's only once in a while a guy breaks onto the scene like McGregor, similar to how Jones did, Aldo did but very few others can say that.

With the top 10 being filled with wrestlers Lentz, Mendes, Lamas, Edgar, Bermudez and the many other wrestlers in the division for Conor to Have never faced one, may or MAY NOT be a coincidence and it's fair to believe that the UFC kept their lanky, flashy striker with all the promotional skills of a Ric Flair Chael Sonnen love child away from what is presumably his worst kind of matchup.    

I for one don't find it a coincidence they gave McGregor.......Denis Siver as his number 1 contenders bout and bumped Siver into the top 10 to make it look more legitimate.

That said, Aldo can wrestle better than Lamas or Lentz and do a hell of a lot more than Edgar or Mendes from top if he gets you there. He took down Florian, Korean Zombie, Mark Hominick, I'm pretty sure he will shoot some doubles on our Irishman given the chance. 

McGregor was babied to a title shot in my opinion, but he also earned it and earned it more spectacularly than I could have expected.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

yossgold
yossgold

05.28.2015 | 4:07 AM ET

Chad Mendes' road to the show after getting blown out of the cage the first time:

Cody McKenzie - wat?
Yaotzin Meza - ***?? <-- how were these two fights even sanctioned, would have never flown with the Swedish commission
Darren Elkins
Clay Guida
Nik Lentz - who was also bumped up to the top 10 3 minutes after his fight with Mendes was announced

The last 3 fighters being the exact same thing as giving Conor a striker. All of them mediocre to bad strikers (if anything Siver's wrestling is better than their striking) who were forced to wrestle with a dude who's leaps and bounds better than them at their forte (and relatively only weapon).

So that's 2 under #40s (how the **** does the #1 contender fight 2 under 40s in a row???), two stylistically-tailored non-top 10s and one barely top 10 and also stylistically-tailored opponent.

Why? A mixture of circumstances, opportunity and the UFC feeling like the only opponent of Aldo's they could really market was Chad Mendes.

Did anyone complain about him getting the shot? No (neither did I by the way). That's how the business works, when you've got a champ with absolutely no competition in the division and millions of dollars are riding on that one guy who you can sell, can you blame the UFC for doing that?

Frankie Edgar's been in the 145 division for 2.5 years, how the **** have he and Mendes not fought yet, while each of them has faced very weird opposition during that time? Because the UFC needs them both as viable contenders for a champ who's cleaned out the division. 

Why isn't anyone crying buckets over that? Or over Mendes' path to contention? They rustle less feathers is why. There's absolutely no difference between how Conor got to fight for the belt and how Mendes did. You know what, there are a few differences; Conor hasn't already been beat by him via brutal first round KO and at least Conor single handedly created the situation where the UFC WANT to "protect" him until he gets the shot. Mendes was protected by default, because he was "the best they have in a ****** up situation" (from a marketing POV). At least Conor HAS fought someone who was deep into the top 10 before they were scheduled to fight. At least none of Conor's opponents have been Cody ******* McKenzie.

* Edited at 05.28.2015, 4:14 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

05.28.2015 | 4:18 AM ET

You make valid points of which I actually wholeheartedly agree with, but my jimmies are neither in a bunch or rustled and I still stand by my point that they intentionally made it to where he would not fight a wrestler. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a title shot, or that he didn't fight high enough caliber fighters....I think he did/does on both accounts. I can still make the criticism and observation he was protected by the UFC in which matchups he was given and I am disappointed he never fought a wrestler in the top 10, I am also excited and thankful he's fighting Aldo.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

yossgold
yossgold

05.28.2015 | 4:38 AM ET

To that I agree and I'm not worried either ... he'll have to face both Edgar and Mendes as soon as he finishes Aldo ;)

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

05.28.2015 | 8:24 AM ET

Dan Severn did have a win though when he fought Coleman at UFC 12.  He beat Shamrock at UFC 9.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold

05.28.2015 | 11:22 AM ET

I think he meant UFC streak before the fight. 

His UFC win streak was 4 when he faced Coleman but he "broke" that streak by fighting outside the UFC.

I guess you can have an endless debate as to if those fights "break" his UFC streak or not, but it wouldn't be an important one. Both ways are legit.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Results And Review
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry on fiery Darren Till callout: ‘He’s talking his sh*t but he ain’t doing nothing’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Program total passes $25 million
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC on ESPN 55 with rare Mumford & Sons, Led Zeppelin, Eminem Curse
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : ‘Platinum’ Got Paid! (KnuckleMania 4 Salaries Revealed)
  • MMA Mania : Charly Arnolt Makes Short-Notice UFC History
  • MMA Mania : Charly Arnolt Makes UFC history
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 2-4
  • Jits Magazine : Demetrious ‘Mighty Mouse’ Johnson Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 video: Bryce Hall, Taylor Holder heated exchange leads to insane crowd fight
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 salaries: Mike Perry leads event payroll with 6-figure purse
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Is A Part Owner Of BKFC
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Perry Steamrolls Alves With Quick TKO
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Mike Perry makes quick work of Thiago Alves, goes ballistic afterward
  • MMAFighting.com : Perry knocks out Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry knocks out Thiago Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Darren Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Mania : Video! McGregor Drops ‘Huge’ News At KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Absolutely savage’: Conor McGregor, other pros react to Mike Perry’s 60-second knockout at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Mike Perry's 60-second finish of Thiago Alves at BKFC: KnuckleMania 4