Topic: Industry, Business, & Competition

Spike TV President says "Bellator is on even footing with the UFC"

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

02.08.2015 | 2:57 PM ET

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/2/8/7926603/spike-tv-president-bellator-mma-on-an-even-footing-with-the-ufc

The antitrust lawsuit filed against the UFC refers to the other MMA organizations in the United States, namely Bellator, as minor leagues. Spike TV president Kevin Kay takes umbrage with that depiction.

"I don't think we're a minor league at all," Kay told MMAFighting.com recently at an event to promote Premier Boxing Champions on Spike. "That's just lawyers talking. They have to position stuff a certain way."

Bellator airs on Kay's Spike TV and is owned by Viacom, the parent company of both entities.

The class-action lawsuit was filed in December and lists former UFC fighters Cung Le, Jon Fitch and Nate Quarry as plaintiffs. Subsequent suits have been filed by former UFC fighters Brandon Vera, Dennis Hallman, Javier Vazquez and Pablo Garza. The same firms are working on all three lawsuits.

The major claim being made is that the UFC is a monopoly and every other MMA promotion is "minor league." The suits also state that the UFC has used anticompetitive methods (like aggressively buying up competitors) to maintain that monopoly. Additionally, there is an assertion that fighters are not treated well or paid fairly and do not have leverage to work elsewhere since the UFC has eliminated other options.

"Bellator athletes lack significant public notoriety, in part because it is a ‘minor league,'" the filing states. "Bellator's bout purses, gate revenues, attendance figures, merchandise sales, television licensing fees and ad rates are minimal compared to those obtained by the UFC."

Kay disagrees with that, pointing to Bellator's recent ratings upswing. Bellator 132, which took place on Jan. 16 in Temecula, Calif., peaked at 1.1 million viewers, a number that is more than many UFC events on FOX Sports 1 garner. Also, Bellator 131 on Nov. 15 in San Diego averaged 1.2 million viewers, peaking at 2 million during the Tito Ortiz-Stephan Bonnar main event. Ortiz-Bonnar was the most watched MMA fight on cable in 2014.

"We're right on an even footing [with the UFC], I believe," Kay said. "We're certainly not the minor leagues. Obviously, they are the market leaders right now, but I think Bellator is stepping up in a big way."

Bellator 131 went head-to-head against UFC 180, a pay-per-view. Ortiz-Bonnar didn't start until after the UFC 180 main event of Fabricio Werdum vs. Mark Hunt was over, but it was still an impressive number. Werdum-Hunt was for the UFC interim heavyweight title.

"I think that San Diego fight really showed off what the potential was," Kay said. "Tito and Stephan, whether you like them or not, they did a great job promoting that fight."

Bellator MMA president Scott Coker has also made it abundantly clear that the UFC will have no advantage over Bellator when it comes to signing big-name free agents. Bellator lost out on Mirko Cro Cop to the UFC last week, but plans on being in the mix for WWE star and former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar if he becomes available.

"There's not going to be a fighter on the planet we can't afford and have access to," Coker told MMAFighting.com in December.

Kay doubled down on that statement last week, promising Viacom and Spike TV's continued commitment to Bellator as a potential MMA powerhouse. As for whether Bellator could surpass the UFC in the next five to 10 years, Kay was succinct.

"I would like to," he said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

"..."

Responses

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.08.2015 | 3:40 PM ET

It helps the UFC for Bellator to claim as much. If Viacom ever really wanted to risk a big investment they could make a move, though Bellator doesn't put on nearly as many events and their roster is less than half that of the UFC. In reality they aren't on even footing with the UFC but are on a strong enough footing where they can compete for talent. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

02.08.2015 | 3:53 PM ET

MMA is in decline. A year from now it will be compared to cycling. If they are saying 1/3 of the fighters are popping for ped's i would then believe 50% of them are on it. I can't think of any MMA site that is growing, just losing people. I'm more interested in female mma. They have ruined male mma. PVZ vs Felice Herrig should be a good stare down. PVZ much prettier too.

* Edited at 02.08.2015, 4:11 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 22 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

02.08.2015 | 4:01 PM ET

@JoseyWales

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales

02.08.2015 | 4:03 PM ET

Nomad should be called "gonad" with all his sexual innuendo about bruce leroy and others. **** Obama, Ronald reagan was the Man.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 22 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
shot2thesac
shot2thesac
  • Predictions:  20,255  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,306
  • Post Score: 137

02.08.2015 | 4:04 PM ET

@OutlawJoseyAndThe*****CatWales, I was just asking about you on another thread, how've you been bro?

"#KnockersSucsk -- Gaycism is wrong -- Everything is YOSSholm"

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales

02.08.2015 | 4:08 PM ET

Absolutely fabulous. The K=Pop group is just legendary. I wake up every day to some of it.  Josey and the *****cats career can not compare to K-Pop.

* Edited at 02.08.2015, 4:09 PM ET *

DrGlaze
DrGlaze
  • Predictions:  18,699  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  872
  • Post Score: 188

02.08.2015 | 4:11 PM ET

As much as I hate Dana White as a person and want to see him go down for anything, I enjoy the thought of all the top fighters having a place to fight I out. They're greedy though, which is what stops them from signing  and keeping some somewhat big names. Try to tell me the UFC couldn't afford to give Roger Gracie another fight, or that they couldn't sign Mamed Khalidov for their trip to Poland. Hell, they even cut Kimbo Slice after one loss while Seth Petruzelli was also under contract. 

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. -Khalil Gibran "

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales

02.08.2015 | 4:19 PM ET

I want to see DW lose most of his money at the Maloof's Palm's resort so they can cut his credit "again" and he can deny them his soo important ufc events. DW is a lot like richard nixon. They both have/had there blacklists.

* Edited at 02.08.2015, 4:21 PM ET *

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,544  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,603
  • Post Score: 69

02.09.2015 | 7:05 AM ET

Is Spike sore that the UFC is not on their anymore?

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

02.09.2015 | 9:39 PM ET

@rappinpapsoda The purchase of Bellator as well as the signings of Tito Ortiz and Rampage Jackson didn't give that away for you?

"..."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : 10 Types Of BJJ Guards Grapplers Should Know
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! BJJ Star Craig Jones Dumps $1 Million In Cash On Rogan’s Desk
  • MMA Mania : Lima Inks Bellator Contract Extension
  • MMA Mania : ‘No One’s Feeling Sorry For You’
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Fight of the Month for May: Steve Erceg gives commendable test to Alexandre Pantoja at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: Dustin Poirier's record 'smokes' Islam Makhachev's
  • UFC.com : A SUBTLE APPROACH TO SUMMER
  • MMA Mania : Tsarukyan ‘Should Thank’ Makhachev For UFC Career
  • MMA Junkie : 'EA UFC 5' continues roster expansion with four free fighter additions
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Believes It All Fell Apart for Alexander Volkanovski After the Makhachev Rematch: ‘I Thought He Won the First Time’
  • MMAFighting.com : Benoit Saint Denis eyes UFC fights in Manchester and Paris, ‘more determined than ever to become the champion’
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Accuses Conor McGregor of PED Use Ahead of UFC 303 Return: ‘He’s Out of His Mind’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Eagle is landed': Khabib Nurmagomedov returns to corner Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : ‘Diamond’s’ Kryptonite? Khabib Confirmed Back At UFC 302
  • MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria on how Sean O'Malley fight would go: 'I can do with him whatever I want'
  • MMAFighting.com : Khabib Nurmagomedov will serve as cornerman for Islam Makhachev at UFC 302
  • UFC.com : This Week On UFC FIGHT PASS | May 27, 2024 - June 2, 2024
  • MMA Mania : ‘Everything Fell Apart’ For Volkanovski
  • MMAFighting.com : Talita Bernardo vs. Olga Rubin title fight headlines Invicta FC’s return in June
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 pre-event facts: Islam Makhachev, Dustin Poirier battle for history – and lightweight title