Topic: Pettis vs. dos Anjos

Pettis vs. dos Anjos

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,668  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,583
  • Post Score: 60

01.03.2015 | 8:52 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Pettis vs. dos Anjos. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 3

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

03.12.2015 | 11:44 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Though I'm picking Pettis there is a very realistic chance that RDA can beat Pettis mainly because he is so well rounded. He is the rightful #1 contender after laying Bendo out but his generic look makes him unappealing challenger for casual fans. Hopefully Brazil is more interested in Dos Anjos than the casual American fan. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

03.13.2015 | 1:32 AM ET

Prediction: correct dos Anjos   correct Decision  

MMA has no casual fans. At least none that I know of. Can you be a "casual fan" of soccer and not know who Luis Suárez is?

I am a really casual fan of soccer, I watch maybe two games per month, but I am aware that PSG just knocked Chelsea out of the Champions League. I also know that Thiago Silva, that magnificent bastard, scored once. Labelling anyone who doesn't know who RDA, Frankie Edgar, Nurmagomedov, John Dodson and Chad Mendes are as a "casual fan of MMA" is like calling someone who watches three american football games per year and doesn't know who Marshawn Lynch is a "casual fan of football". These guys aren't unknown dudes, they are people who have been in the spotlight for quite some time, competing at the highest levels and winning.

* Edited at 03.13.2015, 1:45 AM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

03.13.2015 | 1:34 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

MMA has tons of casual fans. That's why Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock were on ESPN when their Bellator fight was announced. 
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 6 days, 19 hours, and 15 minutes from now.
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.13.2015 | 7:43 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

There are plenty of casual fans. Happens with any trend.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

03.13.2015 | 9:33 AM ET

I think you guys misunderstood Idrownfish.

What I think he meant was that MMA's casual fans are not like casual fans of other sports, because even casual fans of other sports have some semblance of what is relevant and what isn't to their sports. The casual MMA fan doesn't really know what the **** is going on in MMA, so they aren't really fans; instead they're just ordinary people who stumble upon the sport from time to time.

I think this personal (and uneventful) story might clarify what I'm trying to say: As some of you may know, my parents are immigrants from Bangladesh. In the summer of 2008, I actually had the chance to go to Bangladesh for the first time to meet my extended family. At this time, I was a huge sports fan; sports was all I thought about, and loved. It just so happened that an older cousin of mine was a big sports fan as well. His favorite sports were soccer and cricket, and he knew quite a bit about those sports. I asked him about other sports, and eventually we came across the topic of basketball, which he said he loved. But after a few questions, I started to realize that maybe my cousin didn't know quite as much about the sport as I thought (he didn't know what the Spurs were). So then I asked him what his favorite player was, to which he responded "Michael Jordan".

Casual MMA fans are like my older cousin, who can watch and play the sport, and enjoy it. But when you ask them about what they know, they won't be able to tell you much. They can only tell you about the fighters who did things that WEREN'T in MMA, versus actually recognizing the accomplishments for the best fighters in the sport. Think about it for a second, and name me a legitimately famous fighter whose fame came from the sport itself.

But why is that? It's because MMA is a surprisingly small sport, much to the dismay of MMA fans (like us) who reside in our reclusive bubbles.

And because it's a small sport, MMA is extremely reliant on the media in order to build its stars. It's as simple as that.

"الله أكبرl"

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

03.13.2015 | 10:05 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

There are people like your cousin when it comes to probably all sports or competitions that take place. I know so many people who claim to like teams and then when they're asked about said team they can't name 2 people on the team. That exists for MMA as well. You see a guy in a tapout shirt, or an affliction shirt, and he can't name 90% of the UFC roster. It's the same thing and it's commonplace. They don't know what the **** is going on in the UFC or MMA in general. The same way the people claiming to like the teams don't know what the **** is going on with that team or the league that team plays in.

Think about it for a second, and name me a legitimately famous fighter whose fame came from the sport itself.

Ronda Rousey and Gina Carano have turned their fighting careers along with good looks into acting careers. Randy Couture did some acting after fighting. GSP did some acting and some commercials. Chuck Liddell does commercials being a bad ass. Anthony Pettis was/is on Wheaties boxes. Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, and JDS all have Nike sponsorships. In the world of sports I think that makes you legitimately famous. An entire nation is caught up in Conor McGregor hysteria. It's no different than any other sport.

* Edited at 03.13.2015, 10:14 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, 6 days, 19 hours, and 15 minutes from now.
Anik
Anik

03.13.2015 | 12:18 PM ET

@CthulhuJones Yes but the difference between MMA and other sports is that the casual fan in MMA doesn't actually know **** about MMA whereas people who knew the same about MMA for other sports wouldn't consider themselves to be a casual fan. What I'm trying to say is that MMA's standards for fandom are significantly lesser than those of other sports.

As for your list, I should have specified that I meant fighters who aren't retired.

But even then, I actually wrote up a huge post detailing why every one of these fighters (who weren't retired) are not famous because of fighting, but then I erased it because I realized that I didn't need to (though I still want to include this just to show that Anthony Pettis isn't famous, especially when he's beating these guys to get on the Wheaties box).

Now the question is, why don't I need to? Well, just try it yourself: ask people you know (who don't follow MMA and who aren't close enough to you to let your MMA knowledge rub off on them) about all of those fighters and then see which ones they know and which ones they don't.

My guess? They'll probably know Ronda Rousey because of the movies and her looks and they MIGHT know who Anderson Silva is, but they'll probably recognize him easier as the guy who broke his leg over that white guy's knee. I highly doubt that they'll know much else.

Looking at that list makes it clear to me that Cthulhu doesn't really talk to people who aren't MMA fans. You should try stepping outside of your box more often.

* Edited at 03.13.2015, 12:23 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

03.13.2015 | 2:23 PM ET

Anik nailed it. I meant that two kinds of people watch MMA: people who watch every wsof event and then come to tapology and discuss why the UFC bantamweight rankings are wrong and people who don't know who Gilbert Melendez is. No one who can be included in one of those groups can be labelled a "casual fan". Shamrock and Slice were on ESPN specifically because MMA has no casual fans and consequently has to rely on a web celebrity who crushed three absolute cans via ape spaz and then faded into obscurity and a 60-years old fighter in order to generate some interest.

* Edited at 03.13.2015, 2:32 PM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

Bigj383
Bigj383

03.13.2015 | 4:57 PM ET

There are a gradient of fans of MMA that range from super cuasual to the uber hardcore. I've been at UFC PPV parties where I will the only one watching the event from the prelims up. Others will be standing around and chatting and only pay attention for the main and co-main events. They can tell you who Ronda, Silva, Jones, and Velasquez are as well but not any of the contenders outside of Connor McGregor but then they can't name Aldo. Then there are fans who watch all main card broadcasts and select PPVs can name many top 10 fighters  especially in the heavier divisions and even more so if they've had any kind of marketing which Dos Anjos has not received at all in the US. Then there are fans who watch all events prelims and fightpass prelims for UFC and still others that will watch Bellator, WSOF, Titan etc etc. 

Anik
Anik

03.13.2015 | 9:57 PM ET

@Bigj383 Way to stay the obvious, no **** there's a gradient of fans in...well in anything that one can be a fan of.

Idrownfish and I were speaking in generalizations because I (I'm not drawing Idrownfish into this) wrongfully assumed that people wouldn't be stupid enough to nitpick like that in the desperate hope of finding something to argue about.

You, however, are stupid enough. Congrats.

"الله أكبرl"

Bigj383
Bigj383

03.13.2015 | 10:49 PM ET

There is no difference between MMA fans and any other sports fans both have people who watch that don't understand the sport. There are certainly casual fans in MMA, there are absolutely without a shadow of a doubt fighters who gained popularity and recognition purely through MMA, Connor McGregor to name a recent one. If people are having trouble understanding what you are trying to say it's because you don't have the ability to communicate it properly.  My main point is simply that hardcore fans don't find Dos Anjos to be an interesting opponent despite how dangerous he is, and whatever the **** you want to label the fans who only watch the sport from time to time don't know who the **** he is. So you can take your stupid casual fan and mma celebrity debate and snide remarks and shove them up you ass because I don't care about your opinion.  

Anik
Anik

03.14.2015 | 12:44 AM ET

The Great Dictator is an awesome movie.

"الله أكبرl"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

03.14.2015 | 3:07 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

I wonder what Showtime will KO him with.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 23 hours, and 11 minutes from now.
gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  39,245  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

03.15.2015 | 1:14 AM ET

just posting here to show off my Prediction . that is all

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,390  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

03.15.2015 | 1:16 AM ET

I am so happy. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,012  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

03.15.2015 | 1:23 AM ET

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

Blackwork
Blackwork
  • Predictions:  4,678  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  900
  • Post Score: 162

03.15.2015 | 8:25 AM ET

Didn't get a chance to catch the fight. Was it good?

"http://www.tapology.com/profiles/blackwork/my-rankings?ranking_type=member"

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

03.15.2015 | 9:44 AM ET

@Blackwork - Picture Dillashaw vs. Barao without the 5th round finish (and a bit more grappling), just a completely dominant 50-45 on all 3 scorecards for RDA.  Pettis was beyond outclassed, he'd lost his will to fight within two rounds.  RDA did the gameplan we all knew he could win with but would be very hard to pull off for 25 minutes, complete aggression.  And he landed a ton of powerful hooks to the face and body of Pettis.  Just not even a round you could consider for Pettis.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

nogfan
nogfan
  • Predictions:  15,253  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,269
  • Post Score: 199

03.15.2015 | 10:18 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 5  

It was fantastic. 
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,503  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

03.15.2015 | 11:44 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Pettis   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

and some people on here were thinking Pettis was the PFP best.  I picked him to win but damn, RDA made him look like crap.

* Edited at 03.15.2015, 12:00 PM ET *

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Oscar De La Hoya Backs Jaime Munguia After Defeat Against Canelo Alvarez
  • MMA Mania : Video: White, O’Malley Get Burnt During Roast Of Tom Brady
  • MMA Mania : ‘The Rock’ Shares Footage From MMA Training Camp
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results, 4 am ET
  • MMAFighting.com : Drakkar Klose explains UFC 301 beef with Daniel Cormier, calls out Beneil Dariush, Jalin Turner
  • MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC 301: Anthony Smith teaches another lesson in misplaced doubt
  • MMA Mania : Matches To Make After UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Mauricio Ruffy reacts to Conor McGregor comparisons after spectacular UFC 301 debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo discusses next career move after fighting out contract at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira responds to UFC 301 criticism: ‘That’s the risk, but I’m the risk-taker’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja reacts to UFC 301 win, ‘watershed moment’ in flyweight division
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alexandre Pantoja after UFC 301 title defense?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card announced
  • MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ To Mac: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’