Tapology Forums

Aldo vs. McGregor

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

embomb701
embomb701
  • Predictions:  353  |  54.4%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: 200

10.27.2014 | 12:57 PM ET

I thought Aldo would stay champion until retirement but after his last fight with Mendez, not so sure anymore. Mendez was working the moment like TJ Dil, this prevented the leg kicks from tearing him up. Aldo was forced to brawl with Mendez to land shots. I think if McGregor can utilize good footwork and force Aldo to brawl McGregor can take the W. What do you all think?

* Edited at 10.27.2014, 12:58 PM ET *

"Life affords you many lessons, none however teach you more about yourself then competing."

Responses

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

10.27.2014 | 1:05 PM ET

Honestly I did not really see Mendes preventing the Leg kicks at all. In fact I kinda thought Aldo was fighting kinda stupid. Mendes did not once even try to catch his leg kick. It was like Aldo was scared of getting his leg kick caught, but then would stupidly through a body kick (which Mendes did catch). I honestly found Aldo kinda frustrating to watch during that fight. I thought Mendes did a great job, but also felt like Aldo could have utilized his leg kicks significantly better then he did.

* Edited at 10.27.2014, 1:08 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

10.27.2014 | 1:28 PM ET

The thing about Mendes as opposed to McGregor is that Mendes works a ton of lateral movement. The shift punches and the stance switching were phenomenal, all credit due to Duane Ludwig, I'm sure. McGregor uses in and out movement a lot more. That wide stance makes it hard to move laterally, and that's how you avoid the leg kicks. Moving backward is what gets you nailed with leg kicks, because you always leave a trailing leg. McGregor moves in and out fast, but if Aldo can time him on the exit (I'd say odds on this are pretty good), he'll destroy him with that kick every time.

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

2kTweeK
2kTweeK
  • Predictions:  6,520  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,103
  • Post Score: 141

10.27.2014 | 4:12 PM ET

i forsee mcgregor finishing siver in the first round then aldo finishing mcgregor in the first round
rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,556  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,603
  • Post Score: 69

10.29.2014 | 1:06 PM ET

Aldo via first round KO. I want Aldo to lose but McGregor even more due to his unwarranted hype.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,520  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,752
  • Post Score: 198

10.29.2014 | 2:37 PM ET

Mendes checked most of the leg kicks
legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

10.29.2014 | 5:07 PM ET

McGregor looked surprised when Poirier caught him a couple of times, Aldo is a much better striker and have more power than Poirier. and Mcgregor wont be as fast as Mendez, I think Connor is a stylistically  better match for Aldo than Mendez to Aldo

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

10.29.2014 | 8:14 PM ET

Chad Mendes looked excellent, I was genuinely impressed with the improvement in his striking game. I thought his only shot at beating Aldo was by brawling so to see Mendes do exactly that was surprising but also impressive.

On the other hand, Jose Aldo was not impressive at all. I'm a huge Aldo fan (in case you people didn't notice) and what I saw was (yet again) no leg kicks but more importantly, a lack of combinations. Mendes' strikes were getting through because of combinations, but Aldo was just throwing single strikes at a time. I think he doesn't throw leg kicks anymore because he can easily injure his leg if it's checked, but I think the problem is that he throws them with no set up whatsoever. No **** people will check the kick if it's the only strike being thrown, c'mon Aldo.

"الله أكبرl"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jake Matthews hates decision wins like UFC 302, but wants a test vs. Neil Magny
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : No Time For BS! Harrison ‘Carried PFL On My Back’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC CEO Dana White reveals next BMF title fight is being worked on
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Releases Statement Following Press Event Cancelation, Ariel Helwani Sheds Additional Light on the Situation
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland blames 'awkward' UFC 302 fight on Paulo Costa: 'What the f*ck are we doing here?'
  • MMA Mania : Usman And Poirier Would ‘Push Each Other To The Brink’
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier urges Dustin Poirier not to retire after UFC 302: 'He's got a lot of money to be made'
  • MMAFighting.com : Randy Brown reveals he ‘destroyed’ foot barely 1 minute into UFC 302: ‘That’s my luck’
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Believes Dustin Poirier Has Plenty Left in the Gas Tank: ‘He Can Do This For a Long Time’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexa Grasso perplexed by Valentina Shevchenko's claim of theme change for UFC 306 at Sphere
  • UFC.com : Meet TUF Coach Valentina Shevchenko | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Valentina Shevchenko Talks TUF 32 | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Mania : Reports, Speculation Signal McGregor ‘Minor Injury’
  • UFC.com : Meet TUF Coach Alexa Grasso | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Daniel Rodriguez Banking On UFC ‘War’ With Kelvin Gastelum: ‘The Bigger The Name…’
  • MMAFighting.com : Demetrious Johnson fears Michael Chandler ‘might be wasting his time’ waiting for Conor McGregor
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White: 'No comment' on Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul being rescheduled
  • MMA Mania : Level-Up! Najera Not Rushing Path To UFC
  • UFC.com : Fight By Fight Preview | UFC Louisville