Topic: UFC Discussion

UFC ruining the sport

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ElementKnows
ElementKnows
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: -1183

10.12.2014 | 4:59 PM ET

The sad fact is The UFC has become a joke pushing fighters like conor mcgregor just for him being irish and fighting a weightclass below guys his own size
i loved UFC back in the old days of chuck liddel when guys showed up to fight and did not take year layoff after they won the title .
UFC cant put a good fight on and when they get lucky and get one they must rematch it way too soon !!
dana is a cash cow and since 90% of mma fans are noob kids they dont know what road UFC is taking mma down!!
boxing fans have seen this before and boxing is still recovering from it older fans see this kid fans doo not even the crowds are not going nuts anymore
UFC noobs listen too dana white while MMA fans watch there sport die
This user is suspended from posting until 5 months, 1 week, 1 day, 7 hours, and 27 minutes from now.

Responses Page 2

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.13.2014 | 10:23 AM ET

Also, Conor isn't being pushed because he's Irish ... Ireland was never a strategic destination for the UFC until Conor made it one.

He's being pushed because he's got an amazing mix of god given talent and star quality that very few on the roster do (if any, now that Chael's off).

When you've got a fighter who finishes dudes left and right, plays the media game just how they want him to and has the charisma of 1,000 suns you push him. The fact that he brings an entire nation with him on the ride was the added bonus.

Believe me, they'd have pushed Conor if he'd been born in Trinidad & Tobego too.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

10.13.2014 | 10:55 AM ET

That's not a fact Thiago, by definition that's an opinion....stupid.

(Not to say   I disagree, just it's sad you don't know facts from opinions)

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.13.2014 | 12:05 PM ET

Nomad, I usually don't even respond to people who say "would of", but since you won't stop, and since you are calling other members here stupid, I;ll try to address the only two issues you brought up that were coherent enough to even follow. Those being; 1,The UFC being marketed as a sport rather than martial arts, and 2, your problem with the way wrestling is scored. 

1. It is a sport. I personally am glad that this thing isn't marketed as "kickboxer vs jiu jitsu guy" or "karete guy vs wrestler" anymore. Of course some fighters have different strengths and different backgrounds, but by now everyone we see in mma, is a mixed martial artist and I want the sport of mma to be taken seriously in the sports world. That means treating it like any other sport. 

2. You actually said something like the "bias against grapplers" and then articulated your complaint against top position being inherently favored by judges. First of all, wrestling is a form of grappling, dummy, so to favor top-position wrestling cannot in any way be seen as being "against grapplers". Stay in School. And furthermore, the UFC as an entity does not control who judges fights or how they are judged, and people like Dana White have repeatedly, and famously complained about this very fact themselves.

What you attempted to describe is a legitimate problem in mma, on that you and I agree, but it is not by any stretch of the imagination something that you can blame on the UFC. 

* Edited at 10.13.2014, 12:12 PM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

10.13.2014 | 12:16 PM ET

@yossgold... I think him being from Ireland does help a lot though, not because Ireland is a strategic destination but because the Irish fans are absolutely mental and it makes him look a little better that he has such a bat **** crazy fan base behind him. 

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Nomad
Nomad

10.13.2014 | 12:21 PM ET

First of all,  knew going into it I'd get thumbed down...I don't ******* care, I posted my opinions for the sake of discussion. Disagree, argue, bring your perspective into the conversation. That's all I am here for.

Thiago Said an opinion ended with "thats a fact" textbook stupid. I say mean things in jest, you haven't learned to have me with a side of salt?

Marketing it as the Martial Arts moreso than a sport,  doesn't mean Kickboxer vs Jiu Jitsu guy....People have been mixing martial arts to create new ones and gain the upperhand for over a thousand years, they didn't usually see it as sport. Ask questions Ben, don't just assume the one time I pipe up.

As for failing to articulate myself, that's probably a common occurrence. I have this way of jumping from one thing to another with very little rhythm and it doesn't help I'm usually on my phone.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

10.13.2014 | 12:23 PM ET

Being on your phone is not an excuse for talking out of your ass. Take your time, and say what you mean. "Ask questions Ben, don't just assume" ??? I'ts not my fault you don't express your thoughts well. Is English your second language?

And I'm not mad that you called Thiago stupid. You've "jested" with me plenty of times. I know who you are. I'm not offended by you, I just find you tiresome and boring. 

* Edited at 10.13.2014, 12:35 PM ET *

Nomad
Nomad

10.13.2014 | 12:28 PM ET

I wasn't talking out of my ass nor making excuses. I am not the most articulate person and that is my bad, I am to blame.

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

10.13.2014 | 12:29 PM ET

I often say 'fact' for a thing that is not actual fact, I'm sure most people have said 'fact' in some instances where it is not actually a fact, that does not make that person stupid. 

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Nomad
Nomad

10.13.2014 | 12:31 PM ET

I don't know you man, I wasn't sincerely calling you stupid. Just being a ****.

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

10.13.2014 | 12:31 PM ET

No worries Nomad. I'm sorry if I was too hard on you. 

Nomad
Nomad

10.13.2014 | 12:34 PM ET

I can never stay mad at you Benny Boy, one look at that cute white face and.I'm happy again.

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,782
  • Post Score: 273

10.13.2014 | 12:42 PM ET

Yeah, you white ************

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

10.13.2014 | 1:16 PM ET

Racists

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.13.2014 | 2:09 PM ET

@thiago, I totally agree, as I said, added bonus for the UFC but most definitely not the main reason he's being pushed. If he was from a country with the population of 12 non-MMA fans a man with his talent and persona would be pushed just as hard. They probably wouldn't have him headlining any shows at this fictional McGregorland, but to say the only reason he's being push is because he's from Ireland (which is what's said in the OP) is ridiculous. Conor is that "once every now and then" whole package, talent, looks, persona and a whole nation behind him (at least the MMA loving part of it). People should be embracing it, not nitpicking. And yes, he's getting special treatment, but that's not because he's Dana's nephew, it's because he created a situation where he's worth pampering. If I were running a promotion and I had someone like him, you bet you ass he'd be treated better than Cub Swanson for instance, who's great, but has nothing close to the selling power of Conor.

And as for the "fighting smaller guys" remark (also from the OP) ... is Aldo a "natural featherweight"? Poirier? Is there such a thing anymore? If you can cut weight keep good cardio, speed, strength, it's the weight class for you.

Conor never misses weight and the one time he did go the distance in the UFC he tore his ACL and still didn't miss a beat and looked as fresh in the 3rd as he did in the 1st.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

MMAFAN1016
MMAFAN1016
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: -267

10.13.2014 | 6:08 PM ET

I don't think the UFC monopoly is good for the sport. 
CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

10.13.2014 | 6:50 PM ET

The UFC has had a monopoly on MMA since Pride went out of business, so I don't really understand the complaints. This isn't new.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 9 hours, and 17 minutes from now.
blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

10.13.2014 | 7:20 PM ET

that OP has Haven-level grammar sans grace.

"@AndySalasMMA"

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,782
  • Post Score: 273

10.13.2014 | 8:15 PM ET

Dana White has always reminded me of Lex Luthor from Superman but with a fowl mouth. I don't trust a word that guy says but it's entertaining nonetheless.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

10.13.2014 | 9:20 PM ET

Dana's got a bird mouth?

* Edited at 10.13.2014, 9:20 PM ET *

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

jmcdowell
jmcdowell
  • Predictions:  1,448  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  450
  • Post Score: 188

10.13.2014 | 9:20 PM ET

ElementKnows........zilch.

MMAFAn, how do you feel about the NHL, NBA, NFL, etc.? There's minor leagues (plural) and then the Big League (singular) that's the way she goes.

* Edited at 10.13.2014, 9:22 PM ET *

"“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious” - Lombardi"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Video! Paul Grills Garcia Over Controversial Drug Test
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Martinez prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 start time, TV schedule for Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg, Jose Aldo vs. Jonathan Martinez
  • Bad Left Hook : Redneck Brawl 6: Live updates and results, 7:30 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja Vs. Erceg Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Junkie : Manel Kape insists UFC champion Alexandre Pantoja not on his level
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 predictions
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 play-by-play, live results (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Canelo Vs. Munguia Results, Streaming Updates TONIGHT!
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia start time, TV schedule, ring walks
  • MMA Mania : Canelo Vs Munguia Odds, Finals Betting Lines
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC 301 PPV Results, Streaming Updates
  • Jits Magazine : Bianca Basilio Puts Opponent To Sleep In 35 Seconds At ONE Fight Night 22
  • Jits Magazine : Majestic BJJ Challenge 4 Full Results And Review
  • Bad Left Hook : Canelo vs Munguia: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Odds: Opening/Closing Betting Line Movements
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 odds: Opening and closing betting line movements
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Results: Pantoja vs. Erceg