Topic: All-Time Greatest Grapplers

Greatest grappler ever and why.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

04.20.2011 | 7:59 PM ET

All in the title.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Responses Page 2

Dannotheman
Dannotheman
  • Predictions:  9,433  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,406
  • Post Score: 185

04.21.2011 | 10:18 AM ET

Is this whole forum trollin?! Not one of you has Ricardo Arona even on your top 10?! That is a sin.

The dude never had a point scored against him in ADCC and basically invented Top control dominance aka Lay N Pray. His only losses in MMA are to Fedor, Rampage, prime Wandy and Shogun, and Sokoudjou.

Royce and Ken basically make my list for their help in developing MMA.

"God please give me patience, if you give me strength I will just punch them in the face."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800

04.21.2011 | 10:20 AM ET

I thought we were not counting ADCC competition... only MMA?

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

04.21.2011 | 11:00 AM ET

I've got Maia, so technical. And unlike Royce (No disrespect) He's subbing guys who know what BJJ is.

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.21.2011 | 1:01 PM ET

@kalibo the omission of Aoki was an oversight on my part when putting my list together nice catch! Don't know how I did that, but I'm sure its happened on a few of my rankings!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.21.2011 | 1:05 PM ET

updated my list....@winningone took your point into consideration as well about Royce subbing guys that didn't know what was going on...not that he couldn't sub guys today, but it wouldn't be as easy

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

04.21.2011 | 1:07 PM ET

@Dan you're absolutely right about Arona..this is a pretty tricky ranking to build...and about Yahya people will know about him after he submits Poirer

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

04.21.2011 | 2:12 PM ET

probably the most fun i've had/ thought i put into a ranking on here! really tough for me to choose between maia or penn...i mean, DAMN! fyi, sotiropoulos isn't on many (if any) top 10's...but dude is a beast on ground..transitions, subs, and sweeps are NICE! i actually think nick diaz COULD be higher, if he used his bjj more...another fyi, i got mir and gsp "JUUUUUUUUST a bit outside" of my ten...

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

04.21.2011 | 3:09 PM ET

@kalibo I'll be #1 on both the all-time grapplers and strikers!!

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800

04.21.2011 | 3:17 PM ET

@Cash.. I probably did that too with some of my rankings.. I don't have Arono on my top 10 because I honestly thought he was a very good grappler, but very over-rated. 

I just looked at him to see if stats backed up my thoughts and found he only had 1 sub win in his first four years of MMA competition, hasn't had a TRUE sub in in over 6.5 years and couldn't sub Eastman in there last fight.

@Beast... lol.. good luck to you and get training!

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘Put That Whiskey Bottle Down!’ Usman Fires Back At McGregor
  • Middle Easy : Ben Askren Claims Conor McGregor’s ‘Jealous’ Of UFC Rival Khabib: ‘No Money Can Make Up For That’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Be Upset!’ Topuria ‘Too Short’ To Headline Over O’Malley
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 21: Patchy Mix, Lerone Murphy move up
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith: Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier 'much closer than a lot of people are giving it credit for'
  • MMA Mania : MMA Prospect Watch: Meet ‘The Punjabi Prince’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor is ‘Cold in the Soul’ for Michael Chandler, Plans to Fight Three Times in 2024
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Curtis Blaydes On Tom Aspinall, Alex Pereira, Was Ciryl Gane A Go For UFC 304?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 93 card official with 13 bouts
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Usyk is undisputed, Taylor vs Catterall 2, Canelo’s next fight
  • MMA Junkie : Belal Muhammad explains why he doesn't like 'piece of trash' Sean Strickland
  • MMA Mania : ‘Piece Of Trash’ Strickland Is ‘All Talk’
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Ready to Knock Islam Makhachev Unconscious at UFC 302: ‘The Ref’s Going to Be Pulling Me Off Him’
  • Middle Easy : Husband and Coach of UFC Fighter Hailey Cowan Arrested, Accused of Sexually Assaulting Minor ‘Hundreds of Times’
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says next fight after Curtis Blaydes has to be for undisputed belt: 'I'll wait it out if I have to'
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier makes bold prediction for Islam Makhachev fight at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Labels ‘Little R—ard’ Topuria ‘A Non-Champion’
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva opens as huge favorite over Chael Sonnen in July boxing match
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Spence should pay former trainer his worth
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He put you in position’: Vergil Hunter explains why Errol Spence should pay Derrick James his worth