Topic: Off Topic

Slow Day in MMA News, Lets Talk about US!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.13.2011 | 11:49 AM ET

Since it's a slow day in the world of MMA, I thought it would be cool to talk about Tapology and ourselves.. anything at all regarding the same.  I'll get a brief start going..

I live in PA, am 30 and have been a fan of MMA since I was a teenager.  Work for the railroad and rarely ever miss an event regardless of promotion/stature.  I like Tapology b/c of the environment it fosters.  I wish we could edit/delete our posts... maybe have categories of threads for the forums, but all in all, I appreciate the type of place this is thus far. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Page 673

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.13.2013 | 11:00 AM ET

@Poir... ah.. I don't have twitter, so I wasn't sure how that worked.  Didn't @wolf say he saw him on some other forum board?

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

05.13.2013 | 11:02 AM ET

MMA Playground or something maybe? Pretty sure that was the one he used but I would think if he is still online he would've at least said something on here. Who knows though.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.13.2013 | 11:04 AM ET

You'd think... he really did @Greg and Tapology wrong being a contributor and all.  Obviously we don't know people on here, but it didn't seem his style to just vanish w/ no word and leave the FC hanging like that.

edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039

05.13.2013 | 11:10 AM ET

Thanks to @MikeLovesTacos XD I decided to check out that Tom Green stand up on Netflix and I don't watch much stand up, but it's refreshing as it's totally different from the rest.

I watched bits of a Louis CK and Kevin Hart stand ups on Netfix, but I got bored as it's more of the same. Sex, ****sexuality, babies, etc. and cursing every 20 second to get cheap laughs from drunken fans in the crowd.

Tom Green's comedy is totally different and it's refreshing which makes it some quality comedy.

Good stuff, thank @MikeLovesTacos XD.
jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero
  • Predictions:  5,066  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,396
  • Post Score: 240

05.13.2013 | 11:27 AM ET

There are so many stand ups making a ridiculously good living in the US who are total hacks. I recently watched Gabriel Iglesias for the first time and the last. The dude packs some places and his material is so unbelievably weak.

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

05.13.2013 | 11:28 AM ET

Gabriel Iglesias is terrible
jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero

05.13.2013 | 11:43 AM ET

I guess with there being so many different places and so many comics in the US that some hacks are bound to slip through and find success whereas in the UK and Ireland the humor is a lot different and material is everything so only the best of the best really make it. 

I mean, Larry the Cable Guy? Really? The dude has catchphrases for Christ sake....

"If you're matched up against me, you better be prepared to give your life...because I am prepared to take it. - Conor McGregor"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

05.13.2013 | 11:44 AM ET

Yes, Please don't judge American comedy by those fools. I hate them more than you do haha.
Live2wrestle
Live2wrestle
  • Predictions:  22,482  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  11,857
  • Post Score: 236

05.13.2013 | 11:57 AM ET

Cmon guys Dane Cook is GOAT.......yeah I hate myself for even joking about that

Time to face this Anatomy/Physio exam, may the Tormentor have mercy on my soul

"She be curvin all the locals, must like foreigns and this is when I had the Martin, I was just like Lawrence so wassup"

MadMikeXD
MadMikeXD

05.13.2013 | 11:59 AM ET

d00d its deff Jeff Dunham
jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero

05.13.2013 | 11:59 AM ET

Nah there are tons of sick ones obviously... You could round up every hack in the country and the genius that is Louis CK would cancel them out. Then you have guys like Gaffigan, D'Elia (Who I'm sure a lot don't like but I think he's hilarious), Kumail Nanjiani, Amy Schumer not to mention the obvious heavy hitters and Rogan with all his comic friends like Stanhope, Ari, Kreischer, Segura, Joey Diaz. etc...

Too bad most UK/Irish stand ups usually don't get any opportunities in the States. I guess the humor is too different in most cases.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,449  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

05.13.2013 | 12:03 PM ET

@grizz I was so surprised at how good Tom Greens was. I cannot believe it took him this long to try stand-up comedy.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.13.2013 | 12:04 PM ET

Alot of the mainstream stand-up guys are not great. Lous C.K .. sorry, but to me he just isn't funny. Alot of the British comics are insanely clever and absolutely hilarious.

jaffacakehero
jaffacakehero

05.13.2013 | 12:25 PM ET

Throw a few UK names out there for interests sake..

Jimmy Carr: Up there with Hedberg as far as one liners are concerned.

Frankie Boyle: Incredibly dark and offensive but the material is solid.

Michael McIntyre: Very much a love him or hate him stand up. Clever observations on pretty everyday stuff. I guess he's a camp British Gaffigan of sorts..

Kevin Bridges: Only 26 and already one of the best in the country.

Dara O Briain: A fellow Irishman who has a degree in theoretical physics so you can only imagine how clever and original his material is. Great observationalist.

Greg Davies: One of my personal favorites. Some of the best material out there.

Lastly, Jon Richardson: The guy legitimately has some pretty excessive OCD which makes his material incredibly odd but ridiculously original and hilarious.

There, done!

edwinx1903
edwinx1903

05.13.2013 | 12:49 PM ET

I don't watch to so much stand up, it bores me watching a guy ramble jokes for a hour. I do occasionally watch them.

I prefer sitcoms and panel shows.

I've mostly seen the British comedians in sitcoms and panel shows.

Would I Lie to You? is my favorite British panel show with Lee Mack, David Mitchell and Rob Brydon as host who I much prefer to Angus Deayton.

Every single comedian you've mentioned I've seen on panel shows.

Jimmy Carr annoys me. His laugh is loud and annoying. I can't stand him on panel shows. I also dislike 9 Out of 10 Cats.

I think Boyle is alright in the panel shows he's been on.

Kevin Bridges has been hilarious when he's been on panel shows. There's this bit on Would I Lie to You? that had me in tears:

Can't remember much from Michael McIntyre.

Not a fan of Dara O'Briain.

Greg Davies is cool.

I feel about Jon Richardson the same way how I feel about Jimmy Carr.

David Mitchell I don't think has ever done stand up, but I really get a dig out of him on Would I Lie to You? and Peep Show.

Lee Mack I enjoy from Would I Lie to You?, Not Going Out and I've seen both of his stand ups and I dug them.

Rob Brydon I like as the host from Would I Lie to you?.

I have strange taste in comedy, but British comedians I dig are Miranda Hart, Richard Ayoade, Mark Heap, Chris O'Dowd, Jack Whitehall, Steve Coogan, Tim Vine, Michelle Gomez, Sarah Alexander, Stephen Mangan, etc. but I've mostly dug them from sitcoms and panel shows.

I do like the classic British sitcoms, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses, etc.

* Edited at 05.13.2013, 12:52 PM ET *

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.13.2013 | 5:19 PM ET

Chris Rock, Bring the Pain.

Enough said.

"الله أكبرl"

edwinx1903
edwinx1903

05.13.2013 | 5:24 PM ET

I've seen all of Chris Rock's stand ups which I believe are 5 and they're good.

Also back on the Tom Green Live stand up, it was awesome. Loved the ending bit about his testicular cancer and how prayed to God and how being a survival of testicular cancer had changed his perspective on life and how he's all positive now.

Good stuff.
dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  21,257  |  71.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

05.13.2013 | 5:44 PM ET

Doesn't suprise me at all that Tacoboy isn't into Louis C.K. I'm actually glad he isn't...

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.13.2013 | 5:46 PM ET

Sorry I don't have the sense of humor like that of a 14 year old. 

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

05.13.2013 | 5:46 PM ET

You continue to  trash me through the types of standup comedians I like ... lol! 

Page 673

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Chandler Retreats To Nashville Amidst McGregor Rumors
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC announces several new bouts for Denver card in July
  • MMAFighting.com : The Ultimate Fighter 32: Alexa Grasso vs. Valentina Shevchenko Episode 1 results
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Reacts to Donn Davis Calling Her a ‘Follower,’ Willing to Fight Amanda Nunes at UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Denver official with Maycee Barber vs. Rose Namajunas main event
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, June 4: Jailton Almeida, Ailin Perez climb up
  • MMA Mania : ‘My Arm Is Not Broken!’
  • Bad Left Hook : Crowley fails eye exam, pulled from Ennis title fight
  • Bad Left Hook : Cody Crowley fails eye exam, pulled from Jaron Ennis title fight
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Believes ‘Mentally Broken’ Dustin Poirier ‘Just Gave Up’ Against Islam Makhachev
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 medical suspensions: Dustin Poirier, Sean Strickland face indefinite suspensions
  • MMA Mania : ‘Mentally Broken’ Poirier ‘Just Gave Up’ Against Makhachev
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 57 pre-event facts: Can Dominick Reyes avoid fifth straight loss?
  • MMA Junkie : Jimmy Smith returns to Bellator for Champions Series broadcasts
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Michelin star chef teach Demian Maia classic fight week recipe
  • Bad Left Hook : Kenshiro Teraji aims for move up to flyweight, WBC title fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘That’s My Goal!’ Edwards To Pursue 185-Pound Gold In 2025
  • Middle Easy : Valentina Shevchenko is Feeling Confident Ahead of Yet-To-Be-Announced Trilogy Fight with Alexa Grasso
  • MMA Junkie : Vicente Luque recounts surprising UFC on ESPN 7 offer: 'Are you sure it's Nick or is it Nate?'
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: Dustin Poirier has 'represented himself with class,' no need to fight after UFC 302