Topic: Off Topic

Slow Day in MMA News, Lets Talk about US!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.13.2011 | 11:49 AM ET

Since it's a slow day in the world of MMA, I thought it would be cool to talk about Tapology and ourselves.. anything at all regarding the same.  I'll get a brief start going..

I live in PA, am 30 and have been a fan of MMA since I was a teenager.  Work for the railroad and rarely ever miss an event regardless of promotion/stature.  I like Tapology b/c of the environment it fosters.  I wish we could edit/delete our posts... maybe have categories of threads for the forums, but all in all, I appreciate the type of place this is thus far. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Responses Page 3

platzhirsch
platzhirsch
  • Predictions:  714  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  170
  • Post Score: 65

04.14.2011 | 7:46 AM ET

I'm from Austria, 24 years old, studying socio-economics at the university. Although, or perhaps because?, I'm a non-violent, ghandi-esque type of person ;) , mma has intrigued me since a friend of mine first introduced me to it. that friend is ENE1NS (credit where credit is due), whom by the way ive managed to drag along to tapology. prior to that, i despised boxing and i had never seen a kickboxing match, let alone mma. soccer and skiing (yaaawwn) are far too predominant over here. anyway, the first fight i was shown was bonnar-griffin, the first full UFC i watched was UFC 93 which was towards the end of 2008 if im not mistaken. now, a couple of years later, i have seen every single ufc, pride and most strikeforce and dream events. parallel to that, K-1 has really grown on me, K-1 MAX was such a great addition to the promotion and i sincerely hope they manage to sort their financial issues. how sad would it be if they went bankrupt?

.. apart from tapology, I'm only registered on sherdog, but over there i lurk more than anything else. Apart from a couple of exceptions over there, it must be one of the worst, most impolite, elitist, biased, intolerant communities out there. Nonetheless, sherdog is imo the best mma related site, and in midst of all the bullsh*t on the forums there are also wise words and interesting rumors to be found, which is what keeps me returning there. Also, i got the pointer to tapology on sherdog.

Tapology has really grown on me. I use it as a basis for comparison before finalizing my picks as well as an "archive" for my betting history (in addition to the excel sheet i created to keep track of my predicts). For every UFC card i put a little money on parlays mostly, primarily to make them even more exciting. Sometimes i win some, sometimes i lose some but after apprx. two years of moderate gambling i'm definitely in the plus. However, i just place too many hail-mary parlays to make a substantial amount of money, i believe that in the long run, single bets are more lucrative... anyway, Huge thanks to Jeremy and Gregory who not only have created this site, but are also constantly improving it and are obviously having fun on here themselves. I hope you guys stick around and keep the site running for as long as possible.

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

04.14.2011 | 12:11 PM ET

@geezhound, I think my post count since 2007 on sherdog is like 316 or something like that.
I think one of the things here that really gets me is theres a lot more than just the forums.  You arent a high "belt" level because you post a lot.  I hated the "blackbelts" on sherdog talking down to everyone because they had a high post count in a couple months.  Meanwhile most of their posts where lame drivel or short one word "lol"s or "troll"s
Anyways i just really like this site because it is friendly and the comment about self-policing is a really big part of that. We all have a natural tendency towards elitism lets just be conscious of that and try to keep it to a minimum :D

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Babywads
Babywads
  • Predictions:  767  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  129
  • Post Score: 116

04.14.2011 | 1:38 PM ET

I'm 18 and I'm from Southern Ohio.  I really got into MMA about a year and a half ago, when I watched a UFC Unleashed marathon with a couple of friends.  I started watching the UFC PPV's around 118, and one of my friends recently got Showtime so I can watch Strikeforce.  I actually live in a pretty MMA heavy environment, as probably 85% of guys in this area watch MMA. 

I'm a student at a local community college, but I'm transferring to Ohio University this fall as a pre-med student.  Whenever I'm not involved in school work I'm on here, or I'm out with my friends (who are mostly aspiring mixed martial artists).  I also don't train any martial arts, but would love to start!

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045

04.14.2011 | 4:05 PM ET

If it probably wasn't for one particular thread on sherdog i'd be posting over here 100% of the time.  So much more of a positive vibe.
To keep it going what made you a fan of your favorite fighters? Penn- first Pulver fight Shogun- Rampage fight Belfort- Eastman fight Cote- Ortiz fight Rory MacDonald- saw him in 06 at at KOTC event..he's from my neck of the woods

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

Kalibo
Kalibo

04.14.2011 | 4:11 PM ET

Rich Franklin:  I saw his first fight in the UFC against Evan Tanner and just loved his attitude...Did some research and loved his story.

Donald Cerrone:  I saw the TapOut episode where he was unknown and they decided to sponsor him (before Mask passed).  He was a nice, young guy back then and I've been a fan ever since.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

04.14.2011 | 4:24 PM ET

to piercedan. i'm relatively new and all i really care about is my fight predictions. i want to have one of the highest %'s on here. it's also nice to interact with people and the people here are friendly and know their mma. it's all about the highest % and picking some of the moderate upsets that are out there. cna't wait for UFC 129. i've already taken shields in this one. we will see.
Kalibo
Kalibo

04.14.2011 | 5:58 PM ET

@wolfmanhowl.. Sounds like you're more of a gambler than an MMA fan.  Did you pick all the GFL 10 fights? 

P.S. - My % is higher!  LOL..j/k.  Glad you brought your talents over to MMA!

Babywads
Babywads
  • Predictions:  767  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  129
  • Post Score: 116

04.14.2011 | 6:07 PM ET

Hamill:  One of the first events I watched live was TUF 11 Finale, and I was taking bets against my friend.  I had never heard of Hamill, but he was from Cincinnati, about an hour and a half from my house, so I picked him.  He won that fight and I was a fan ever since.  P.S.  He beat Jon Jones that night.

Guillard:  I remember seeing his fights with Diaz and Neer, and even though he lost, he was so dominant on the feet I was amazed.

WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

04.14.2011 | 6:52 PM ET

GSP: My favorite fighter, probably the first fight with Penn is what really got me to like him. Even though his style has changed much since then I still love watching him fight.
JDS: The Werdum KO was beautiful. Everything since then has been gold. 

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

04.14.2011 | 7:07 PM ET

To kalibo. You have to have MMA knowledge and watch alot of fights to pick the correct winner. I know nothing about gfl (or it's fighters )  so i won't be picking anything from that event. I do UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator events. Your about 1% higher. I think i'll hit 6 out 8 for this upcoming Bellator event on Saturday.
Kalibo
Kalibo

04.14.2011 | 7:35 PM ET

Heck.. I'll be picking them all.  I'll try to use that knowledge to correctly "guess"!  I really don't care about my %, I just want to have fun doing it. 

A fighter I haven't seen mentioned yet that was one of my fav's was Evan Tanner.  A wonderful person.

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn

04.14.2011 | 7:40 PM ET

I can't really say I was a fan of Tanner but can't deny what kind of person he was.  I'll be watching that documentary on him for sure it looks amazingly emotional

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

Kalibo
Kalibo

04.14.2011 | 7:47 PM ET

I guess I was more a fan of the person than the figher.  The doc sure does. 

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,719  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987

04.14.2011 | 8:20 PM ET

@wolfman keep making good picks and youll get that high % you want ;) @kalibo, im with you on wanting to have fun.  I love seeing my % go up but its not really that important either.  Its about the fights.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Kalibo
Kalibo

04.14.2011 | 8:30 PM ET

+1 for Piercedan.  Agreed..... %100 LOL.

What fighters do you guys like the most, that do not compete anymore?  What age range do we have here on Tapology.  I've seen as young as 13 and as old as 38 (you're still young!).  Again, I appreciate all the great responces/posts to this thread.  I think its awesome!

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn

04.14.2011 | 8:54 PM ET

@Kalibo- Bas Rutten shame his career ended when it did, wish he could of fought in Pride like he said he was goin to Hidehiko Yoshida loved watching alot of his fights especially his first against Wanderlei, Ryan Gracie his angry amused me RIP, Cro Cop (if he does retire) such a violent guy in competition but one of the class acts of mma...never seen him fight live but Rickson Gracie

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

04.14.2011 | 9:04 PM ET

It's too bad Aleksander Emelianenko isn't really competing anymore.  He used to be almost guaranteed fireworks in the ring.

"I live, I die, I live again."

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

04.14.2011 | 9:37 PM ET

@Kalibo - Danville.  It's Southwest Virginia, and is a pretty depressed region.  Keeps me busy with my job though, which is great for developing my experiences to teach defensive tactics.  I'm actually a defensive tactics instructor for my department, and will be helping teach my first academy class next month.  May is a busy month for my dreams!

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Kalibo
Kalibo

04.14.2011 | 10:22 PM ET

@Gregory... I was wondering what happened to Alex. 

@RWLawman.. grew up in northern VA and went to College at Mary Washington in Fredericksburg.

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

04.14.2011 | 10:36 PM ET

The venue I'm fighting in is heading up that direction.  Fishersville, VA, which is near Waynesboro, VA.  Kind of a strange neighborhood, and I think it's a little more central.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 pre-event facts: Can Derrick Lewis extend all-time KO record?
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Paid More In Taxes Than I Made Last Year In My Fight’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dan Hardy picks Conor McGregor to beat Michael Chandler: ‘He’s got that refinement in his game’
  • Middle Easy : ‘Problem-Solving’ Cory Sandhagen Reveals One Weakness He Sees In Unbeaten Umar Nurmagomedov