Topic: Hieron vs. Ellenberger II

Hieron vs. Ellenberger II

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,672  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,584
  • Post Score: 60

08.24.2012 | 12:43 AM ET

Prediction: correct Ellenberger   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Hieron vs. Ellenberger II. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,061  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

08.24.2012 | 12:43 AM ET

Prediction: correct Ellenberger   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

Well now Hieron is no longer taking the fight on short notice, however I still think Ellenberger will throw one of his crazy bombs in the first and get a KO on Hieron.

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

MMA4LIFE00
MMA4LIFE00
  • Predictions:  14,692  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  648
  • Post Score: 66

08.24.2012 | 1:29 AM ET

Hieron has been one of the best fighters outside Zuffa for a long time but Ellenberger has been fighting top level guys, Hieron hasn't.
TKO316
TKO316
  • Predictions:  662  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 100

08.25.2012 | 1:49 AM ET

Prediction: correct Ellenberger   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Ellenberger wins in this rematch. He is younger, hungrier, and highly motivated to climb the 170lb divisions ladder.
wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

08.25.2012 | 1:55 AM ET

i tend to pick the older veterans that have serious mileage on them.
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

08.29.2012 | 10:59 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Hieron   wrong Decision  

Hieron is able to grind out a decision

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

09.16.2012 | 12:44 PM ET

Jay Hieron has had some pretty good success outside of the UFC, and I feel he got robbed in his decision loss to Ben Askren, but I just don't feel that he is going to pose much of a threat anywhere the fight takes place against Jake Ellenberger. Ellenberger has KO power with good wrestling, and improves with every fight. Hieron is definitely a far better fighter than he was the first time he was in the UFC, but I think that he's just a sacrificial lamb for Ellenberger. Stylistically, Ellenberger is just a bad match-up for Hieron.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

blapthorne
blapthorne
  • Predictions:  10,345  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  272
  • Post Score: 63

09.26.2012 | 10:00 PM ET

Got to go with the younger fighter on this one.  Should be a good fight

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed. - Stephen King"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,395  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

09.26.2012 | 10:19 PM ET

The fact I predicted a 3rd round KO win for Ellenberger makes me feel stupid, won't be shocked if Hieron gets KO'd in the first. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

09.27.2012 | 12:29 AM ET

Hieron wins a UD, proves he's a top WW.

"Is reality really realistic?"

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

09.30.2012 | 10:31 AM ET

AnikM - The thoroughbred will get destroyed thoroughly.

MMApicker42 - Big jump down in competition compared to Koscheck for the juggernaut, not really sure if Hieron can even hang, Bad matchup and top 10 competitor for him on his first fight back to the UFC. Ellenberger KO round 1

Kalibo - I agree w/  you all in regards to who the winner will be... but damn... you all under estimate Jay.

ufcchick2011 - IMO Hieron won against Askren ...:/ What a way for the UFC to bring Hieron back, feeding him to the wolves...But then again maybe he can be like another C4 or something...We will see what folds out in due time!

gunn4206 - @ufcchick i agree i felt he won that fight vs askren as well 

Kalibo - I agree as well... 

justynbomar - Man you guys are all really under estimating Jay Hieron.
Like I've been saying for awhile he is/was the best WW outside of the UFC. He hasn't been TKO'd since 2007, he hasn never been knocked out and he has never been subbed. Before the ******** decision lost to Askren he was on a 10 fight win streak and not to mention he trains with Martin Kampmann who just beat Ellenberger.
I'm not going to say Hieron is going to go out there and just run threw Jake but I don't think him winning a decision or getting a sub toward the latter part of the fight is all that much of a ridiculous thought, and albeit I may be a little biased because it's pretty well known that I am a Jay Hieron fan but I still think he has some serious skill.

AnAlias - Hopefully they give Heiron another fight after Ellenberger knocks him silly.

MMA4LIFE00 - Hieron has been one of the best welterweights outside Zuffa and Im a fan of his but I think Ellenburger look better then ever after his loss to Kampmann.

foley4ever87 - Well Hieron did win by decision in their fight in 2006, but a lot can happen in 6 years Ellenberger hits pretty hard but he certainly has a bit of a suspect chin after the Kampmann fight but Hieron is taking the fight on a shorter notice so Ellenberger has the definite upper hand in preparation.

FresnoMMA - @foley I wouldn't call his chin suspect at all, he got hit by a solid knee that didn't even KO him, just dropped him.  Plus he took some pretty hard shots in his fight with Condit and didn't go out.

ladylover213 - its hard to pick against ellenberger... but heiron does have a win over him and does train with the most recent guy to defeat him. but my biggest reason on picking heiron is due to ellenbergers huge lack of cardio

AnikM - Other than Dan Henderson, Jake Ellenberger is the only other fighter who makes me flinch when I see him throw a punch. Serious SERIOUS power.

Also didn't even know that Hieron owned a win over the guy, wow.

justynbomar - Jay Hieron is certainly in no way shape or form an easy opponent even though he took this fight on short notice. I think Hieron's game plan will be to come out and look for takedowns and if he does get them I think he will be able to drain Ellenberger of his cardio and keep getting takedowns and win a dominate UD or get a late submission via D'arce of guillotine choke.  

gunn4206  - hieron will win again by dec!

Jmad - Hieron might have got robbed against Askren, but he robbed everybody on the way to get Askren. I got Ellenberger, don't know how yet.

Mayhem14 - I did not know these two fought before. Still got Ellenberger by KO

Bill Burgess - Would have hoped Jake got a higher ranked opponent.  Hieron is a loooong way down from Koscheck.  All the top end and top mid-tier must have been committed to other matches.

ProdigyKid14 - Ellenberger bounces back here.

peppersmith67 - Ellenberger climbs back to contention with an impressive win

hiblet - Should be an easy tune up fight for jake

Franklin880088 - Easy tune up fight? Hieron is a legit guy. Who has a win over Ellenberger and who has only lost to Ben Askren (by split) in the last 5 years.  Also this could very well be a harder fight for Jake then Kos. Kos has looked down right awful in his last two fights. I think Jake may have gotten stuck with an even harder fight with much less name value.  Feel like this is far from a tune up fight but I think the majority of fans think this is a give me fight fight for Jake but in actuality this could be a very tough matchup against a fring top 10er in Hieron.

poir420 - I'll be rooting for Hieron since I picked him up in the 2nd fantasy league, but I will probably pick Ellenberger

Live2wrestle - If Jake gasses again Hieron might beat him but I hope Jake just knocks him silly
Crispy989
Crispy989
  • Predictions:  2,929  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  121

09.30.2012 | 11:49 AM ET

Gotta remember Heiron won there last meeting!

"Leave it all in the Cage"

StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

10.01.2012 | 8:17 PM ET

Ellenberger will avenge his loss to Hieron (from 2006 I believe) and knocks him out fairly quickly.

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

10.01.2012 | 11:55 PM ET

This is by no means an easy fight for ellenberger but he is going to get the win. He is a much much better fighter than the last time they met. Hieron has never been finished and he has faced a lot of high level opponents so I don't foresee jake getting the ko but I can see this fight getting bloody and being part of a decision heavy card
MirkoBroCop
MirkoBroCop
  • Predictions:  2,148  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  327
  • Post Score: 269

10.02.2012 | 4:48 PM ET

Heiron had trouble against a wrestler who cant strike in Ben Askren, but unfortunately he's got the full package to deal with this time around,
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

10.03.2012 | 7:45 AM ET

I was half tempted to take Jay b/c of Jake's gas tank, but I think Jake will take the 1st two rounds.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

10.03.2012 | 8:06 AM ET

@hiblet. GSP finished him.

* Edited at 10.03.2012, 8:07 AM ET *

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128

10.03.2012 | 1:21 PM ET

Odds are up: Jake Ellenberger -358 vs. Jay Hieron +283
Crispy989
Crispy989
  • Predictions:  2,929  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  121

10.03.2012 | 1:45 PM ET

Up to the judges!

"Leave it all in the Cage"

DietDrPepper
DietDrPepper
  • Predictions:  14,982  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  637
  • Post Score: 180

10.03.2012 | 5:44 PM ET

Hieron is not joke, while I think Jake knocks him out in the first if it goes longer than that Jay will make it a fight.
poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

10.05.2012 | 7:26 AM ET

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘If not for Canelo I’m not going down to 168’: David Benavidez says only one fight brings him back to super middleweight
  • MMA Junkie : Matchup Roundup: New UFC, PFL, Bellator fights announced in the past week (April 29-May 5)
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Mentally, I feel like the fight’s won’: Martin talks upcoming fight with Tank
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Disagrees with Merab Dvalishvili’s Claim of Title Bout at UFC 306 in Las Vegas
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski open to fourth Max Holloway fight now that he's BMF champion
  • Bad Left Hook : RANKINGS: Naoya Inoue and Canelo hold firm in top spots, more
  • Jits Magazine : Action-Packed Brackets At IBJJF Geneva Open 2024
  • MMAFighting.com : The MMA Hour with Dustin Poirier, Alexandre Pantoja, plus Dan Hardy, Veronica Hardy, and Paul Hughes all in studio at 1 p.m. ET
  • Middle Easy : MMA Community Reacts to Anthony Smith’s Submission Victory and Announcing Mishap at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Blew It’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56: How to watch Derrick Lewis vs. Rodrigo Nascimento, start time, St. Louis fight card, odds, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Naoya Inoue vs. Luis Nery full fight video highlights
  • Bad Left Hook : KNOCKOUT! Naoya Inoue comes off canvas to brutalize Luis Nery
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: Dana White, Max Holloway, Sean O'Malley on red carpet for Tom Brady roast on Netflix
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Dana White catches shots over UFC fighter pay, rips 'liberal f*cks' at Netflix during Tom Brady roast
  • MMA Mania : ‘Decisions, Decisions’
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Demetrious Johnson suggests UFC ‘don’t let flyweights main event’ after UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Spinning Back Clique LIVE (noon ET): Jose Aldo's future, Jon Jones calls for Alex Pereira, latest in boxing, more
  • Bad Left Hook : Inoue vs Nery: Live updates and results
  • MMA Mania : Nurmagomedov Vs. Sandhagen Headlines UFC Abu Dhabi In August