Topic: Rua vs. Vera

Rua vs. Vera

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,593  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,536
  • Post Score: 60

06.10.2012 | 2:07 AM ET

Prediction: correct Rua   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Rua vs. Vera. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 3

stinkpickle
stinkpickle
  • Predictions:  6,965  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 44

08.01.2012 | 1:03 AM ET

Prediction: correct Rua   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

They're both coming off #1 contender fights,so why not..
stinkpickle
stinkpickle
  • Predictions:  6,965  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 44

08.01.2012 | 1:09 AM ET

At least Davis would be a new opponent for Jones if he won.
Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

08.01.2012 | 6:40 PM ET

open workout

Card
Card

08.01.2012 | 7:00 PM ET

vera

Card
Card

08.02.2012 | 4:16 PM ET

xxTank0019xx
xxTank0019xx
  • Predictions:  6,203  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,364
  • Post Score: 169

08.02.2012 | 4:33 PM ET

Prediction: correct Rua   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

dana looks pissed. lol like why the hell did i get these two to fight.

"2012 GIF AV Grand Prix "FAH Q" Award winner!"

peppersmith67
peppersmith67
  • Predictions:  740  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  112
  • Post Score: 77

08.02.2012 | 5:52 PM ET

Prediction: correct Rua   wrong Decision  

Shogun picks apart the former child star and gets the titleshot

"Is he dead?" little brothers response to Dan Henderson's ko of Michael Bisping

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

08.03.2012 | 11:54 AM ET

10-Point Breakdown

Prediction: correct Rua   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

1. Mental Edge/Confidence/Gameplan - The mental edge is always the hardest one to gauge. There's many factors for both fighters about where they are at mentally coming into this fight. For Shogun, he's been plagued by injury, hot and cold against tough opposition in the UFC LHW division, and how serious is he taking Brandon Vera? For Brandon Vera, it's a matter of is he still going to achieve the goals of being the UFC HW and UFC LHW Champion simultaneously, or was that all just hype and talk on his part? Another question that comes to mind for Vera, is he's had some real ups and downs in his career, and here lately he's been more on the downside, than up. Does Vera really belong in the top tier of the UFC LHW division, or is he just another overrated, overhyped, tomato can for Shogun to beat up on? There isn't a lack of confidence for both fighters coming into this fight. Both fighters, like many in the UFC, are extremely confident in their respective abilities. Also both fighters have recently found a new found love for training and fighting once again, or so they say. With gameplan in mind, I have to give Vera a slight nod there, because the only time I've ever actually seen Shogun come into fight with a real gameplan, was when he fought Machida the 2nd time. Vera on the other hand, studies his opponents, and finds there weaknesses. The big question here is, can Vera expose Shogun's weaknesses, and execute a perfect gameplan? With all this in mind for the mental category, I have to go with Shogun simply because, he's a former champion, and proven MMA fighter. Shogun - 9/10, Vera - 8/10

2. Experience/Level Of Opposition - This is all Shogun here. Shogun has beaten the best in the world, both in the UFC and PRIDE organizations. Vera has looked good against C and D level fighters, but has had problems with the B level fighters, and has yet to beat an A level fighter with the exception of Frank Mir, but let's face facts, the Frank Mir that Brandon Vera beat was nowhere near the same Mir that beat Big Nog, Roy Nelson, and Cheick Kongo. Shogun - 10/10, Vera 7/10

3. Heart/Determination To Win - This is where both fighters have been really hot and cold. The Shogun that fought Lyoto Machida the first time, and even the one who fought Dan Henderson, was spirited, full of heart, never quit, and tough as nails, but then the Shogun that lost to Jon Jones and Forrest Griffin (first fight), was never really in the fight, gave up easily, and showed no heart what-so-ever. The exact same thing can be said for Brandon Vera. His fights with Thiago Silva and Randy Couture, you never saw any quit in him, but his loss to Fabricio Werdum he was a whiny, sniveling, heartless shell of the Brandon Vera who faced and lost to Tim Sylvia. Then there's his loss Jon Jones. He got hit with one good shot, covered up his face, and cried like someone stole his lunch money. With that said, I give Shogun a slight edge. Shogun - 8/10, Vera - 6/10

4. Enudrance/Toughness - When it comes to a question of chin and who can take a better punch, Shogun proved in his fight with Dan Henderson that he's got a rock solid chin, but this category is not all about chin, or the ability to take a punch. If that were the case, then Shogun gets this one over Brandon Vera hands down, however; Shogun has done a lot of damage to his body, has had surgery on both knees, and has been highly prone to injuries in the past. Vera on the other hand, hasn't sustained too many inuries during training, and keeps himself relatively healthy. With that all said, I have to go with Vera in this area, not because he can take a better punch, but because his body has sustained less damage over the years. Shogun - 7/10, Vera - 8/10

5. Stamina/Cardio - The biggest question in Shogun's career has been, can he go the distance? Hot and cold is once again the way that I would describe Shogun on this subject. Many times Shogun has been beaten or had a lackluster performance, it's been because he has gassed severely in the latter rounds of his fights, but in his fight with Hendo, Shogun actually came alive late in that fight. Vera on the other hand has never had a problem going the distance, but this is the first time in his career that, if it goes the distance, he will have to go 5 rounds. I think Shogun is a bit more proven overall in the area, but if I had to pick who would be more likely to fade as the fight goes on, it would be Shogun. Shogun - 8/10, Vera - 9/10

6. Overall Striking - Brandon Vera is a very good technical Muay Thai striker, but Shogun's overall striking, while not quite as technical, is a far step above Vera's IMO. Vera own's no KO victories over any top tier fighters in the UFC, with the exception of Frank Mir, but once again Vera didn't face the very best Mir that he could've faced. Shogun on the other hand has rocked or KO'd some of the best fighters in MMA history such as Rampage, Liddell, Machida, Forrest, Overeem, Arona, Coleman, **** the list goes on and on. Vera is very good, but Shogun in this area is far better. Shogun - 10/10, Vera - 8/10

7. Overall Wrestling/Grappling - Often times, Shogun's achilles heel has been his wrestling. Vera is not in the same league as Jon Jones or Ryan Bader, but he did hold his own pretty good against Randy Couture, and many have said that Vera has a very underrated wrestling game. If there was ever a time to find out just how good Vera is in this area, this fight would a good time to prove it. Myself, not really knowing or ever seeing it, I can only go on speculation and heresay, so at this point, I will give a slight edge to Vera here, but it's very slight if at all. Shogun - 7/10, Vera - 8/10

8. Overall Submissions/BJJ - Shogun has dangerous kneebars, heelhooks, and basically a whole arsenal of leglocks and leg submissions. Vera is speculated to also have a very good BJJ game, but it has been rarely utlilized or seen with the exception of his guillotine choke over Assuerio Silva. I have to give Shogun the edge here. Shogun - 10/10, Vera - 8/10

9. Size/Strength - Tough area to call here, but I'm going with Shogun. Shogun - 9/10, Vera - 8/10

10. Speed/Athleticism - Got to go with Vera here. Shogun - 8/10, Vera - 9/10

Overall Score - Maurico "Shogun" Rua = 85/100, Brandon "The Truth" Vera 81/100

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

08.03.2012 | 12:01 PM ET

I wish I was friends with a sponsored fighter so I could get a bunch of free shirts and swag.

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

08.03.2012 | 12:15 PM ET

I wanted to find a reason to give Vera a chance, I really did. But there is no way he is beating Shogun. Shogun is going to come at him like a man possessed and will win by KO.

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

Card
Card

08.03.2012 | 1:49 PM ET

Jon Jones prediction:

"I got Shogun by decision after a predominant striking match. Vera could make it more interesting if he uses take downs." 
Card
Card

08.03.2012 | 9:35 PM ET

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

08.03.2012 | 9:40 PM ET

I want a shirt like Dana's.

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

anthonyswofford
anthonyswofford
  • Predictions:  9  |  44.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: -40

08.04.2012 | 2:43 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Vera   wrong Decision  

i think vera's gonna take this one by decision because he's the longer fighter. he wont knock him out because...well it's shogun, he's always pressing forward but i think brandons gonna utilize that muay thai advantage to keep him at bay to come out with more points
TheMachine43
TheMachine43
  • Predictions:  524  |  58.4%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 67

08.04.2012 | 6:51 AM ET

Knee then punches

"All that matters is how you see yourself"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

08.04.2012 | 9:54 AM ET

Since everyone said that Shogun's last fight with Henderson was so epic and one of the best ever, it is somewhat strange that he was offered  Teixeira instead of Rashad or Alexander Gustafsson.

I can understand that they might not have wanted to derail Gustafsson from a title shot, but still . . .  Teixeira was unknown to many UFC fans.  Rashad Evans would have been the logical and appropriate choice.

Beating Vera will not prove anything or mean anything for Shogun, and he will get absolutely zero bounce from it.

Vera, on the other hand, is so hoping for the best, he cannot realize that he will, in all probability, lose and lose huge.  And he has a visible trap door underneath his feet and if he loses, and he will, he will be ejected from the Big Show in the days after the fight.  With no appeal this time.

I feel bad for Brandon.  He's a good guy and could fight mid-tier and still provide some entertaining moments for us.  That only 7% of the house is voting for Vera shows just what a lopsided mismatch this really is.  It should not have been made.

* Edited at 08.04.2012, 9:57 AM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,779
  • Post Score: 273

08.04.2012 | 10:11 AM ET

@Bill I think they wanted a tune-up fight for Shogun after his loss to Hendo. Someone to showcase his skills against, similar to when they offered him the rematch with Forrest Griffin. They're hoping for a highlight real KO. I don't think he wanted to fight a top5-10 LHW. I agree 100 % that his opponent should have been Rashad Evans.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

08.04.2012 | 10:30 AM ET

I concur with your analysis all the way, flying.  This is why, absent Official Rankings, discipline must be exercised in our match-making.  Che Mills/Rory MacDonald, Vera/Shogun.  Mis-matching at its finest.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

DietDrPepper
DietDrPepper
  • Predictions:  14,982  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  637
  • Post Score: 180

08.04.2012 | 1:59 PM ET

Rooting for Vera but well you know...
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

08.04.2012 | 2:31 PM ET

Vera's striking is ******* great but the problem is that he loses focus in his fights, he slacks off. He'll use the least amount of energy possible to win, he never pushes it. If Shogun/Griffin 1 Shogun shows up, Vera might pull it off.

"الله أكبرl"

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jhonata Diniz vs. Austen Lane prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : KnuckleMania 4 Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva vs. Ariane da Silva prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann vs. Bogdan Guskov prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Is This The Most Violent KO In WMMA History?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 predictions
  • MMA Mania : Nicolau Vs. Perez Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • Bad Left Hook : McGrail vs Leach: Live discussion, 2 pm ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 play-by-play and live results (4 p.m. ET)
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC KnuckleMania 4 Results, Streaming Play-By-Play Updates TONIGHT
  • Bad Left Hook : Ramirez vs Barthelemy: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : BKFC KnuckleMania 4, live stream, play-by-play and results
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Results, Streaming Updates TONIGHT!
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 live results
  • Jits Magazine : Liisi Vaht Makes Flawless Debut In ONE Friday Fights 60 Results
  • Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Reveals His ‘Stack’ Of Steroids From Ever Titan
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 Results: Nicolau vs. Perez
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 Results: Perry vs. Alves
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Even Holloway Knows He Got Dropped At UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: LFA's Kendra McIntyre ragdoll KOs opponent with absolutely vicious head kick