Topic: Henderson vs. Edgar II

Henderson vs. Edgar II

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,730  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,617
  • Post Score: 60

05.10.2012 | 3:23 AM ET

Prediction: correct Henderson   correct Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Henderson vs. Edgar II. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 4

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

08.07.2012 | 11:20 PM ET

anyone notice that the next year or so of top LW matches will most likely be dominated by TUF and WEC veterans? we have Henderson (WEC) the current champ with Diaz (TUF) most likely getting the next shot.  This past weekend we had Lauzon (TUF) take out Varner (WEC) and this weekend a big matchup with Cerrone (WEC) taking on Guillard (TUF) with the winner possibly facing Pettis (WEC) who's latest win is over Lauzon (TUF)

* Edited at 08.07.2012, 11:21 PM ET *

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

08.07.2012 | 11:36 PM ET

Very good observation @cash. I remember right before the WEC guys came over Jim Miller saying they were going to have a hard time hangin with the big boys......LOL

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

08.08.2012 | 9:18 AM ET

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,413  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

08.08.2012 | 9:41 AM ET

Prediction: correct Henderson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Good countdown show, I can't help scratching my head at the fact Edgar and his camp think he won 3 rounds - 2 against Henderson ... ***. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Imij Inc
Imij Inc
  • Predictions:  1,286  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  6
  • Post Score: 33

08.08.2012 | 10:23 AM ET

Bendo takes this, decision or Sub.
kctec
kctec
  • Predictions:  3,322  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  80
  • Post Score: 159

08.08.2012 | 11:25 AM ET

Pretty sure we know what where getting from Frankie.  Darting in and out ... great footwork, tippy tappy jabs, straight crosses and pretty zippy hooks (prob his best punch very short) and high crotch flash take downs with little top control.   The question is now that Ben is the man with the gold whats his approach?  

If they change nothing from the last fight then the result will be identical.  Ben is bit too big for Frankie to control,  and has pretty closely matched Cardio.  Look for the exact same fight.

I hope for the sake of the division that Frankie loses.  If its a split decision for Frankie does Ben get another rematch (ohh god kill me).  

"If you can't beat them, put them into your trunk and drive them to somewhere you can."

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

08.08.2012 | 12:15 PM ET

I just can't get excited for anymore lightweight rematches. I know this is going to be a great fight but I just want a lightweight title fight that doesn't involve Edgar. I give the edge to bendo again but it will probably be another decision.
cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

08.08.2012 | 12:17 PM ET

Please god let's hope there is not a draw or a no contest

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

08.08.2012 | 12:33 PM ET

@cal no **** this division needs to move on and get away from all these rematches a draw or no contest would be horrible

* Edited at 08.08.2012, 12:34 PM ET *

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

08.08.2012 | 12:57 PM ET

Dana says if Smooth loses he doesnt get a rematch???  What kind of **** is this?  Only Edgar gets rematches apparently.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

08.08.2012 | 12:59 PM ET

Wouldn't it depend on how he lost? If he gets finished then I'd say no rematch or if it is 50-45 clear decision...If its another razor thin decision that goes Edgar's way this time then there probably should be!

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

08.08.2012 | 1:00 PM ET

I don't really care who wins I just want to see Diaz fight either one of these guys for the belt!

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

08.08.2012 | 7:47 PM ET

10-Point Breakdown

Prediction: wrong Edgar   wrong Decision  

1. Mental Edge/Confidence/Gameplan - In the question of mental edge, I'd give Bendo the slight advantage, because he currently has the official win over Edgar in the first fight. Many think, (including Edgar) that Edgar won the first fight, while others just simply believe, (such as myself), that Bendo didn't do enough to decisively beat Edgar. Regardless of what anybody thinks, (myself and Edgar included), Ben Henderson won the first fight, and that gives Bendo a slight edge in the mental edge area. However; When it comes to Confidence and Gameplan this might go a little in favor of Edgar. Edgar is undefeated in rematches. The reason for this, is because Edgar is a genius at making the necessary adjustments to insuring his win over his opponent. For Ben Henderson, he's got the confidence because he's always confident in his ability, and he believes that he can beat Edgar more decisively than in the first fight. Another that comes to mind, is could Edgar be coming into this fight a little too overconfident because of his record in rematches, or could he be so far beyond driven from losing the last fight contraversially, that it effects his focus for this upcoming rematch against Bendo. The other thing that comes to mind, is that nothing is perfect, nothing lasts forever, and all good things will come to an end. Edgar's ability to remain undefeated in rematches is no exception to this rule. If any fighter has the ability to make this happen, it's Ben Henderson. With all this in mind, I have to call this area just about even, but if I just had to give a slight edge here, it would have to be in favor of Henderson, but it's a very slight advantage. Bendo - 10/10, Edgar - 9/10

2. Experience/Level Of Opposition - Henderson has 18 fights, while Edgar has 17, but Edgar has faced the who's who of MMA in the UFC LW division. Bendo has faced some great fighters, but Edgar's resume is far more impressive than Bendo's. Bendo - 8/10, Edgar - 9/10

3. Heart/Determination To Win - Both fighters have a tremendous amount of heart and desire to win. Both have the true hearts of champions. Frankie Edgar has shown over and over again that he can overcome adversity, make adjustments in a fight, and even come from behind to win fights in convincing fashion. Another fact to look at, is that Edgar usually walks around at 155, and he's been able to adapt, overcome, and defeat opponents that outweigh him by 10- 20 lbs. at fight time. I have to go with Edgar in this area here. Bendo - 9/10, Edgar - 10/10

4. Stamina/Cardio - Many times in the past, both fighters have proven that they have no problems going a 5 round distance and deliver 25 great minutes of fighting. This area is dead even here. Bendo - 10/10, Edgar - 10/10

5. Endurance/Toughness - Both fighters are extremely durable, and you're not going to put either fighter away with a single blow. Both fighters also have a great ability to recover quickly when hurt or rocked. A slight edge may go in Edgar's favor here, but for now, I'll call it even. Bendo - 10/10, Edgar - 10/10

6. Overall Striking - Edgar is very quick, very technical, and has great movement, but he lacks big power. To where as Ben Henderson is very strong, very unorthodox, and extremely athletic. Both fighters have great versatility in their strikes. The big question is, who would you pick to win this fight by KO/TKO? Neither fighter has that many KO/TKO victories in their respective resumes, Edgar with 3 and Henderson with 2, but Edgar did knockout Gray Maynard in their last encounter. That has to count for something. I've got to go with Edgar in this area here, but not by much. Bendo - 8/10, Edgar - 9/10

7. Overall Wrestling/Grappling - Both fighters have great wrestling and grappling bases. Often times, Edgar's overall wrestling and grappling is underestimated because of his size, but in his 2nd fight with Gray Maynard, Edgar showed just how good his wrestling really is. Ben Henderson has always shown a great wreslting base in all of his fights, but it was his fights with Gray Maynard and Donald Cerrone where you really got to see just how strong and technical of a wrestler Henderson really is. Because of the size and strength advantage, I have to go with Bendo on this one. Bendo - 10/10, Edgar - 9/10

8. Overall Submissions/BJJ - 8 of Ben Henderson's 16 victories have been by submission. 2 are submission due to punches, and 6 by chokes. Frankie Edgar has only 3 submission victories in his career, but he trains BJJ with Ricardo Almeida. Like the striking question, who would you pick to win this fight by submission. While I don't think that it's going to happen, I have to give Bendo the nod here. Bendo - 9/10, Edgar - 8/10

9. Size/Strength - This area is all Ben Henderson right here. No doubt about it. Bendo - 10/10, Edgar - 7/10

10. Speed/Athleticism - While Edgar has the advantage here, it's not as much of an advantage as you would think. Ben Henderson is very quick and athletic. He showed this in his last fight Edgar, when Edgar caught one of Bendo's leg kicks, and Henderson threw a flying kick while Edgar was holding onto Bendo's other foot. Bendo - 9/10, Edgar - 10/10

Overall Score - Ben "Smooth" Henderson = 93/100, Frankie "The Answer" Edgar = 91/100 

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

Death
Death
  • Predictions:  768  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  71

08.08.2012 | 7:52 PM ET

I think it's going to be a close competitive rematch just like the first fight. I think Edgar can get it done though and fix his previous mistakes.

"Dan Henderson will dethrone Jon Jones"

Death
Death
  • Predictions:  768  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  71

08.08.2012 | 8:01 PM ET

Great breakdown @jay. Truly shows how close this fight will be. If they fought ten times I could see them splitting it 5 and 5.

"Dan Henderson will dethrone Jon Jones"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,540  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

08.09.2012 | 3:52 AM ET

@soccerkick

Prediction: correct Henderson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

"If its another razor thin decision that goes Edgar's way this time then there probably should be! "

No man ... Dana has already said it ... no rematch!

Even if he gets "crystal clear" robbed and the judges admit afterwards that they were wrong ... no rematch. Judging is part of the game (even bad judging). If you don't want to be a victim of bad judging, finish the fight. If you can't do that, you open yourself to the other intangibles of the fighting game ... one of them being judging.

If Bendo loses and thinks he's champion material, he can afford to fight another fight or two and get the belt back. Enough with the immediate rematches.

This isn't 2001, the UFC has changed, there are too many registered fighters to start messing around with fighters fighting the same opponents two or three times in a row ... If you lose ... no matter how it happens or if it's a "deserving" loss ... fight your way back. That should be the rule. If you're good enough, you'll get there, if not, then hey, that "win" you think you were robbed of was a fluke anyway so no harm done.

Real champions aren't afraid that one more fight might change their dreams because they believe that they can beat anyone out there EVERY time (*cough* Condit *cough*).

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,514  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,798
  • Post Score: 180

08.09.2012 | 12:32 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Edgar   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

One thing I notice noone is mentioning when analyzing the rematch is how much the upkick affected Frankie for the rest of the fight and without it how different would the fight have been.

And I LOVED Ben being proved wrong on the countdown show after saying Frankie hit him behind the ear and his coach's shot about Ben always acting like he slips when he gets knocked down.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,413  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,488
  • Post Score: 203

08.09.2012 | 12:36 PM ET

In my honest opinion it was a mixture of both. Frankie blasted him, but at the same time his footing was a bit off, but hey. I could be wrong, who knows.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

TJ Combo
TJ Combo
  • Predictions:  2,896  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  310
  • Post Score: 130

08.09.2012 | 1:33 PM ET

ben should take this again.

"Life is simple, perish or you own it. Bury your opponent, and cherish every moment. -Madchild"

DietDrPepper
DietDrPepper
  • Predictions:  14,982  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  637
  • Post Score: 180

08.09.2012 | 2:21 PM ET

Edgar always improves in rematches, I thought Bendo won pretty convincingly (unnecessary rematch imo) but if he can avoid the up-kick I think he'll run circles around Bendo and outstrike him for the decision.

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Breaking down Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk, UFC Vegas 92, and Bellator Paris
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Believes MMA’s Current Rule Set Favors Strikers: ‘I Don’t Think People Should Stand You Up, Ever’
  • MMA Junkie : Carlston Harris hopes UFC Fight Night 241 win leads to 'good names' like Neil Magny, Geoff Neal
  • MMA Mania : Video: Gorimbo Breaks Down After Coach’s Mother Dies On Media Day
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241's Vinicius Salvador guarantees first-round KO of Adrian Yanez: 'Write it down'
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk full fight card
  • Middle Easy : Tim Welch Rates Mike Tyson’s Chances vs. Jake Paul: ‘Early On, He’s Gonna Be Scary’
  • MMA Mania : Barboza The BMF? ‘Who Has Better Highlight KOs Than Me?’
  • MMAFighting.com : Ring announcer Dan Hennessy retiring after viral screw up: ‘No longer the world’s punching bag’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Only Mancunian' Lerone Murphy appreciates full circle moment, crosses fingers for UFC 304
  • MMAFighting.com : Cédric Doumbé: Anthony Pettis fight ‘99 percent’ a done deal
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Mark Hulme | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veteran Edson Barboza calls for BMF title fight vs. Max Holloway: 'I think I deserve that'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC matchmaker sends emphatic message to prospects hoping to get noticed and signed 
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC FPI 7 Highlights, Streaming Results | Rod vs. Fowler
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Robert Valentin | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Guillermo Torres | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : Meet Featherweight Mairon Alves | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Mania : Strickland Claims ‘Pea Brain’ Paulo Has ‘Yet To Sign Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury calls father John ‘a promoter’s dream’ after viral headbutt on Oleksandr Usyk team