Topic: Other Sports

TAPOLOGY TALKS: NHL

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

03.13.2012 | 5:07 PM ET

Making an NHL only thread, because I'm sick of seeing the Peyton Manning thread riddled with hockey talk.

So fellow Canadians, REJOICE!

EDIT: And Americans too, we know some of you love hockey as well.

* Edited at 03.13.2012, 5:07 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

Responses Page 4

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

03.15.2012 | 3:37 PM ET

Go Blues!

"We Are All One"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

03.15.2012 | 4:36 PM ET

I actually like the one point OT loss system...I can understand the argument against it though. It doesn't really make sense to get two points to win a game, and get one for taking the game to overtime and losing.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

03.15.2012 | 4:45 PM ET

adding in regulation wins as a tie breaker has helped..back before the shootout it was a win was 2 pts if you tie you share those points, giving 3 points for a reg. win and "sharing" the 3 points in ot with winner getting 2 loser 1 makes more sense to me

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14

03.15.2012 | 4:52 PM ET

@Cash wasn't it three points for a win at one point? i could have swore it was at one point, maybe i'm just crazy or something

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Anik
Anik

03.15.2012 | 5:38 PM ET

@Lopati It's a nickname for the Canadiens. Les Canadiens were the name given to the French majority of the population in the late 19th century because they were not up to par according to the English. The French comprised the majority but they were looked at as crap. Since they were born IN Canada (unlike most of the English at the time), they were named the Canadiens. So you could say it was a discriminatory term for them.

Anyways, Montreal's had 7 teams since the inception of the NHA (the league before the NHL) and all of them were for English-Montreal. Finally, the French population were represented with les Canadiens, which is why people care so much for them. They were all poor and never had anything to cheer about, but the Canadiens made them happy. I was the Canadiens that bridged the gap between the French and English because of the success that Maurice Richard and the rest of the team had in the mid-40's and 50's.

They were nicknamed the Habs, as an abbreviation for les Habitants because that's what the English population considered them to be. Habitants in their land, habitants that would either leave or be integrated in English society because the English were set on assimilating the French language at the time.

Still a stupid name? It's got history, unlike the Senators.

"الله أكبرl"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

03.15.2012 | 5:54 PM ET

just because I live in america doesn't mean I don't know about Hockey, lol. here is what matters the senators have a winning record against the Habs all time my friend.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

03.15.2012 | 6:01 PM ET

I don't think Montreal is the best team to go against when you starting bringing up all time stats

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

Lopati
Lopati

03.15.2012 | 6:06 PM ET

Cash, why is that??????? In sports there is one stat that matters, wins and losses. at the end of the day all other **** is superfluous.  

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14

03.15.2012 | 6:15 PM ET

@Anik nice post dude. i sort of knew why they were called what they are called, but i never knew that whole story.

canadiangirl
canadiangirl
  • Predictions:  1,783  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  66
  • Post Score: 329

03.15.2012 | 6:28 PM ET

Hopefully Luongo can get it together so the Canucks can actually win a cup this year :) I know they are the most hated team but I don't care I'm not a bandwagon fan!

"He who knows his enemy and himself well will not be defeated easily." -Sun Tzu

Anik
Anik

03.15.2012 | 6:30 PM ET

@Lopati I can guarantee that you didn't know that story, don't try to act like you knew it because I am 100% sure that some Oregon kid knows absolutely nothing about Quebecois history.

And you talk about the only stat that matters, wins and losses. Shouldn't the only thing that matter is the number of championships? The Detroit Red Wings won 58 games in 2005-2006, good for 3 highest in NHL history. But they lost in the 1st round, to the Edmonton Oilers who won only 41 games.

The Ottawa Senators are the master of mediocrity, whether it be the first team to ever lose 70 games in one season. Or getting KOed by the Leafs for 4 straight seasons, in the playoffs. Or being the worst place for any NHL goalie to ever go to. Or Daniel Alfredsson trying to pull a Broadway Joe and predict a Stanley Cup win, only to lose the Stanley Cup because one of the greatest players in Senators franchise history decided to score on his own team, a goal that ended up being the gamewinning goal for the Ducks.

So don't ever talk about superfluous ****, because the Ottawa Senators define ****.

EDIT: @canadiangirl, bless your heart.

* Edited at 03.15.2012, 6:30 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

canadiangirl
canadiangirl

03.15.2012 | 6:35 PM ET

Haha Thanks AnikM the Habs are my second favourite team :P 

Lopati
Lopati

03.15.2012 | 6:35 PM ET

Anik, lets get a couple things straight here.  1st, I am not a kid.  2nd, my ancestral lineage goes through Quebec. 3rd do you think I knew of the Habitants/inhabitants thing by blind luck????? Since I posted the habitants part b4 your cute lil story about it.  4th are we discussing senators canadiens or senators and the rest of the league.  because not 1 time in your post did you mention how the HABS have done anything against the Senators.

* Edited at 03.15.2012, 6:37 PM ET *

Anik
Anik

03.15.2012 | 6:37 PM ET

@canadiangirl now I like you even more. Last year all the Canucks fans were Canucks fans 'cause they were good but as soon as the Bruins castrated them in the finals last year, they all ran away. And then there's those fake fans who rioted.

But it's nice to see real fans of hockey teams, they're so few and far between.

"الله أكبرl"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,254  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,483
  • Post Score: 203

03.15.2012 | 6:40 PM ET

My dad is a huge Canuck fan aha, has been for years now. He thought the riot was an absolute joke. Such idiots. 

* Edited at 03.15.2012, 6:44 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

canadiangirl
canadiangirl

03.15.2012 | 6:42 PM ET

Ya it was pretty embarrassing.  The people who participated in that were not real fans. 

Anik
Anik

03.15.2012 | 6:43 PM ET

@Lopati An 8-4 record against the Senators in the playoffs. That's all I've got because the Habs have been an elite team in NHL history and have consistently gone and prevailed against the best.

The Senators on the other hand...

And all you posted was I QUOTE "we are the inhabitants, man that is intimidating, lol". That statement just puts your ignorance on display for Tapology to see. It's obvious in that comment that you know absolutely nothing about that nickname or where it came from, all it proved was how much you don't know about it and that you could use common-sense to conclude that the word "Habs" comes from "inhabitants." As for intimidation, I'm a hell of a lot more intimidated by a bunch of French-Canadians over a member of Parliament.

Oh and don't ever try to one-up me at hockey. Ever.

"الله أكبرl"

Anik
Anik

03.15.2012 | 6:44 PM ET

@canadiangirl & MikeLovesTacos XD The best part about that was how the Vancouver city wanted extra security for the UFC event in case of a riot. And then the Canucks happened.

You could tell by the crowd though, whether they were winning or losing the idiots would riot.

"الله أكبرl"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,254  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,483
  • Post Score: 203

03.15.2012 | 6:47 PM ET

@AnikM I agree with that, I was thinking the same regardless of a win or loss there was still gonna be a riot. I just think it was pathetic. 90% of the people involved in the riot probably werent even hockey fans and were just rioting for the hell of it. The other 10% were probably hockey fans but not real Canuck fans. I could understand being a bit mad at the loss, the Canucks came pretty close to the Stanley Cup but the riot was complete stupidity. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

03.15.2012 | 6:49 PM ET

the two best goaltenders in hockey are on the st. louis blues. halakand brian elliot. combined 14 shutouts and both have around 1.8 GAA. i found that out during the hockey fantasy league i joined at the beginning of the year. i have been parlaying the blues winning and going the under in goals all year. i have done well. i think now they have the best record in hockey. they could be second though. i also made a future bet on them when they were 100/1 to win the stanley cup for 10 bucks. if they win thats 1000 dollars. you can't find them in nevada for more than 15/1 now. i'm just a believer in there goaltenders.

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’