Topic: UFC 143

My Weekend in Las Vegas for UFC 143

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

02.07.2012 | 9:18 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 301st

It was quite a weekend to say the least, courtesy of my boss at CagesideSports.com.  My girlfriend and I got on our connecting flight from Boston to JFK, then JFK to Vegas for our first UFC event.  Considering I aspire to be an MMA journalist, I felt that a live experience would give more clarification on if it is what I want in life.  Needless to say I am more motivated than ever to accomplish my dream.  We attended the weigh-ins on Saturday, and the seats were not all that good.  However the atmosphere was very cool.  The place was packed, and it was better than I expected it would be.  Earlier in the day I got to meet Nate Diaz at The Gun Store on East Tropicana Ave.  After the weigh-ins my girlfriend and I went to Joe Rogan's comedy show.

There were a lot of UFC references between Joey Diaz and Joe Rogan.  Rogan was on for about an hour, people were buying him drinks; he was raunchy and hilarious.  The next day we tried to see if we could meet GSP.  People had been lined up at the Las Vegas Fight Shop as early as 5:30 that morning.  We were unable to meet GSP, but I did get interviewed by MiddleEasy.com.  Finally we made our way to the Mandalay Bay Events Center for UFC 143.  I couldn't believe how awesome the new intro and the "Baba O'Riley" montage were.  We stayed for all of the prelims and the main card (obviously).  I enjoyed the majority of the fights with the exception of Pierce/Koscheck. The main event came and about 80% of the crowd was behind Nick Diaz.  I found myself rooting for Condit because most of the "Diaz fans" didn't seem like actual MMA fans.  Anyway, that is my trip in a nutshell.  A lot more happened, but it would be difficult to retell everything.

I have some content on my blog, http://www.crumxmma.tumblr.com, I hope you guys take the time to read the two articles I have posted.  Also list who you think should be next for each of the fighters on this card.  Feel free to respond to my take on the Condit/Diaz fight as well.  I hope this encourages people to attend a live UFC event, it really was incredible.  Sorry for the long read.

http://crumxmma.tumblr.com/post/17177472068/weighing-in-on-the-diaz-condit-controversy

http://crumxmma.tumblr.com/post/17173874746/matts-take-recapping-ufc-143-diaz-vs-condit

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

UFC 143
  • Saturday 02.04.2012 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: FX
  • Name: UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit
  • Also Known As: St. Pierre vs. Diaz
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $2,389,975
  • Attendance: 9,015 (Paid: 6,727)
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 400,000 | TV Ratings:
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Carlos Condit   defeats   Nick Diaz   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Fabrício Werdum   defeats   Roy Nelson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Josh Koscheck   defeats   Mike Pierce   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Renan Barão   defeats   Scott Jorgensen   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ed Herman   defeats   Clifford Starks   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:43 Round 2 of 3, 6:43 Total Bout Page
Dustin Poirier   defeats   Max Holloway   via Submission, Triangle Armbar   3:23 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Edwin Figueroa   defeats   Alex Caceres   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Matt Brown   defeats   Chris Cope   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:19 Round 2 of 3, 6:19 Total Bout Page
Matt Riddle   defeats   Henry Martinez   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Rafael Natal   defeats   Michael Kuiper   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Stephen Thompson   defeats   Dan Stittgen   via KO/TKO, Head Kick   4:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses

brad
brad
  • Predictions:  804  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 104

02.07.2012 | 9:20 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 907th

Sounds like a good time man. Good luck with mma journalism.
ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

02.07.2012 | 9:21 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 6 Perfect, 600 Points   |   Tied for 222nd

Props for not being the people who don't show up until the main card, that bothers me too. All that is pretty awesome though, sounds like quite the experience.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

brad
brad
  • Predictions:  804  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 104

02.07.2012 | 9:23 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 907th

I wondered before if that was just because most people are still lined up outside. If I was paying to see fights I'd sure as hell wanna see them all,
teaksmma
teaksmma
  • Predictions:  76  |  55.3%
  • Forum Posts:  71
  • Post Score: 130

02.07.2012 | 9:24 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 495th

Sounds like a great weekend good luck with the journilism. Same here with the people not turning up until main card i dont understand why?

"Tap ill snap!!" - Rousimar Palhares

Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

02.08.2012 | 12:26 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 301st

thanks guys!

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Jake Paul Lays Down $10 Million MMA Challenge to Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal: ‘I Want Either One’
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Misses Weight In Latest Circus Stunt
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video live now
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo invokes right to Madrimov title fight
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Renato Canuto vs Damon Morgan
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by 'Not Logan Paul' Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Official Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz targeted in new Rodney Petersen lawsuit for New Orleans street brawl, Diaz rep responds
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia badly misses weight for Devin Haney fight
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘3 pounds is nothing stop crying’: Ryan Garcia, pros react to Garcia missing weight for Devin Haney showdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia misses weight, will still fight Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Half-Mexican’ Costa Is Not A ‘Dirty’ Brazilian!
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor says ‘door is open’ for move to MMA; Daniel Cormier tells him ‘stick to wrestling’
  • UFC.com : Steve Erceg Hopes To Open Some Eyes
  • UFC.com : Julian Erosa's Monumental March
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 ticket prices: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler could break promotion's gate record
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’
  • MMAFighting.com : Brendan Loughnane details ‘intense’ training sessions with Conor McGregor ahead of PFL return
  • MMA Mania : UFC Trumps Boxing, Named MVP Of Combat Sports
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Weighs in on Herb Dean Controversy at UFC 300, Would ‘Love’ His Next Fight to Be Against Sean Strickland