Topic: Rua vs. Jones

Rua vs. Jones Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,582  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,523
  • Post Score: 60

02.06.2011 | 10:09 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Decision  

This is the official prediction commentary thread for Rua vs. Jones. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

darth_nanners
darth_nanners
  • Predictions:  2,440  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  619
  • Post Score: 170

02.06.2011 | 10:09 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

Damn i hope I'm right on this one. I think Jones can do it if he can get over the nerves of being in his first title fight, he looked a more nervous than usual last night walking out. I gotta go see this one live.

"insert random generic/inspirational message here."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

02.06.2011 | 10:19 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Submission   wrong Round 3  

Im not making a pick. hate both these guys..

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

SlackBrian
SlackBrian
  • Predictions:  411  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  95
  • Post Score: 81

02.06.2011 | 10:24 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

How could anyone possibly hate Shogun?  I mean, not everyone is going to be a fan, but what has Shogun ever done to prompt someone to actively hate him?  Also, why comment on a prediction page just to say you AREN'T making a pick?

"Alistair Overeem is a Dutch kickboxer who looks like someone at Marvel comics drew a man genetically engineered to f**k your girlfriend." - Cracked

LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

02.06.2011 | 10:33 AM ET

I havent made my picks yet but Im going to be putting it in for Shogun. Jones is good and has a lot of potential but I don't think he's at that level yet. Bader is the highest level of competition Jones has faced so far and Bader is not even close to being at the elite level and Shogun been at that level for awhile. I think Jones' inexperience will show when he fights Shogun.
thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

02.06.2011 | 10:34 AM ET

@SlackBrian ... Well i dont like Shogun then i hate Jones ... Hope shogun wins but i dont know.... Ya i prob shouldnt have my bad.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

02.06.2011 | 10:34 AM ET

I havent made my picks yet but Im going to be putting it in for Shogun. Jones is good and has a lot of potential but I don't think he's at that level yet. Bader is the highest level of competition Jones has faced so far and Bader is not even close to being at the elite level and Shogun been at that level for awhile. I think Jones' inexperience will show when he fights Shogun.
LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.06.2011 | 10:50 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

I'm not going to make my prediction for another couple of weeks because obviously right now in my mind Jones is unstoppable and will run through everyone and everything that is put in front of him.  But in a few weeks when the Bader win isn't so fresh in my mind I can really evaluate both fighters and what they've been doing. 

With all that said..  I'm pretty sure I'm going with Jon Jones by submission in the 3rd round.

I think the fact that Rashad and Greg Jackson have been preparing for Shogun is going to help Jones in preparing for Shogun because I'm sure Jackson has already spent a lot of time studying Shogun and figuring out where his strengths and weaknesses are and what they need to do to exploit them.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.07.2011 | 5:18 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   correct KO/TKO   correct Round 3  

Rua is tough, but i had Jones ranked as my #2 for months now; i think he's the Jose Aldo of the LHW division. Bones Jones takedowns, transitions to side control, and ground and pound will make him the new dominant champion.
BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.07.2011 | 7:44 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Decision  

Jones doesn't have the best cardio( as seen in the bonnar fight) If Rua pushes the pace jones will gas out and leave himself open.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,561
  • Post Score: 275

02.07.2011 | 8:09 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

As far as I'm concerned the cardio issue with Jones in the Bonnar fight is ancient history. It was his 2nd UFC fight, and only the first one where he even had a normal training camp. No offense to Bombsquad, but I suspect his preparation and cardio coming out of Jackson's gym is on another level. He's also matured physically and mentally since then.

Point is I don't think we can draw much about his current gastank from the Bonnar fight.

And for those who insist on using it as an example, Jones didn't gas out and get his ass kicked. He slowed down and couldn't keep his 1st round pace, but still dominated almost every minute of the fight.

"I live, I die, I live again."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.07.2011 | 8:25 AM ET

You could say Rua might have the exact same conditioning problem as Jones coming off two knee surgies for the second time in his career. I understand he went the distance against Machida, but that wasn't exactly the style of wrestling Jones can imply. As the old moddage goes, styles make fights. I see Jones superior wrestling, top control, and GnP overwhelming Rua. The guy is beast and all the haters who though Bader would be significantly stronger and a better wrestler, OUCH!
BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.07.2011 | 8:28 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Rua   wrong Decision  

I really think he should have fought another fighter with more experience before gettiing the title shot. There's a big gap in talent from bader to shogun.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

ksturdiv
ksturdiv
  • Predictions:  2,225  |  55.9%
  • Forum Posts:  87
  • Post Score: 47

02.07.2011 | 9:07 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   correct KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

I think the short prep time hurts Shogun in this one ... while Shogun is well Shogun, Jackson has already put together a game plan for him and I think Jones can implement it just as well as Suga ... Jones has given different looks in all of his UFC fights and attacked each fighter differently ... Shogun's style does not vary much from fight to fight ... to me that's the difference

"Live, Love, Fight"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.07.2011 | 11:53 AM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   correct Round 3  

It's not like Shogun wasn't training for a fight. 5 weeks or so is plenty of time to formulate a plan for Jones. The biggest problem for Shogun is he's going to be giving up a huge reach and has to prepare for that, where against Rashad, Shogun had the advantage. Whether you have 8 weeks or 5 weeks either way it's going to be hard to prepare for a fighter like Jones. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.07.2011 | 11:57 AM ET

Yeah Shogun will have no problem getting ready for this fight. as BigJ said, he was already preparing to fight on the same date, and six weeks is plenty of time to formulate a new game plan.

I'm actually surprised that I'm leaning toward Jones taking the hype train all the way into the station and smashing Shogun to take the title. He's just a physical specimen and has yet to look vulnerable in any of his bouts. If anyone in the division can beat him, it will be the champ, however.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Ace70
Ace70
  • Predictions:  324  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  21
  • Post Score: 24

02.07.2011 | 12:32 PM ET

I think this is a bad fight for Shogun coming off of another knee injury.
thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

02.07.2011 | 12:46 PM ET

I just heard Rampage turned down the fight with shogun ? I would of much prefer to see that ?

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.07.2011 | 12:50 PM ET

Prediction: correct Jones   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Wow, that's just what I'd expect from Rampage.  Didn't he turn down a fight with Machida too?  I forget if that was just a rumour or not.  Then again this could be a rumour too.  Though I believe Shogun really did say that Rampage was offered the title shot first.

Jon Jones is a true warrior and at such a young age.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

HavokDM
HavokDM
  • Predictions:  9,733  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,047
  • Post Score: 199

02.07.2011 | 12:51 PM ET

As skilled  and athletic as Jones is, I think the experience gap is what will make the difference.  My pick may change closer to fight time as I get a better feel for how Rua is coming off his surgeries and his long layoff. 

"Nothing in this world is a gift. Whatever must be learned must be learned the hard way."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

02.07.2011 | 1:00 PM ET

@lynxguy why would you expect that ? But he fought machida he turned it down earlier or what ? ... I doubt Shogun would say it if it wasnt true.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Mikey Musumeci Moves Up To Challenge Kade Ruotolo For Lightweight Title At ONE 168
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje plans to limit physical training for 'six months at least' after UFC 300 knockout loss
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Says He Is Likely To Earn ‘$30-50 Million’ From Devin Haney Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘My son got down on you’: Bill Haney and Floyd Mayweather get into heated argument online
  • MMAFighting.com : Ilia Topuria on Sean O’Malley superfight: ‘If he defends the belt, that’s going to be the biggest fight in UFC history’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 pre-event facts: Karine Silva looks to continue historic octagon start
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Parking Lot Incident With ‘Crazy Lady’, Says She Texted Dana White About Possibly Going To Jail
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry targets fights with Jake Paul and 'fat b*tch' Darren Till if successful at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • Jits Magazine : Star-Studded Lineup Confirmed For UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler criticizes Arman Tsarukyan turning down UFC 302 title fight, Tsrukyan unloads back
  • MMA Mania : UFC 304 Official For July 27 In Manchester
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 commentary team, broadcast plans set: New trio calls action from cageside for first time
  • MMAFighting.com : The 2024 MMA Draft: Which 35 fighters are the best building blocks for MMA promotions?
  • MMA Mania : Gaethje Didn’t Realize ‘How Much Danger I Was In’ Against Holloway
  • MMA Junkie : UFC returns to Manchester for UFC 304 on July 27
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 304 announced for Manchester this summer
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ryan Garcia admits health concerns were all an act: ‘I was not gonna budge for nobody’
  • MMA Mania : Barber Was Ready To ‘Lay This Lady Out’ In Viral Video
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day live stream (2:45 p.m. ET)
  • UFC.com : UFC Makes Highly Anticipated Return To Manchester On July 27 With UFC 304