Topic: Dong Hyun Kim

Future WW Champ

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jaydean
jaydean
  • Predictions:  151  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 29

02.02.2011 | 12:55 PM ET

and most underrated WW out there.
"Stun Gun" Dong Hyun Kim

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: 김동현, Kim Dong Hyun
  • Pro MMA Record: 22-4-1, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Stun Gun
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: June 17, 2017 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Team Stun Gun
  • Height: 6'2" (188cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $777,000 USD
  • Born: Suwon, South Korea
  • Fighting out of: Busan, Yeongnam, South Korea
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

caymanfighter
caymanfighter
  • Predictions:  43  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 80

02.04.2011 | 8:11 AM ET

I totally agree Kim is underrated. I have a question though, is it that he is that underrated of a grappler or is it more of a question of NCAA wrestlers gettingtoo much hype? I think most people fail to realize that the NCAA only includes American collegiate athletes. DHK is a national team caliber judo practitioner. That says a lot because South Korea has won the second most Olympic medals in Judo only behind Japan. I started training MMA three years ago and have sparred with various NCAA wrestlers with various accolades, I always admire how hard they work and how tough they are. This year I was introduced to the HUGE gap between collegiate level wrestlers and international wrestling pros. I grappled with an Olympic alternate and it was totally mind blowing to see how much more, skillful, technical, powerful and dominating he was than many of the NCAA guys I have worked with in the past. I think a prime example of the gap in skills is GSP. He had never formally wrestled yet he is now one of the best wrestlers in MMA if not the best. WHY? Because he trains with OLYMPIC wrestlers! Kamal Shalorus vs Jamie Varner is another prime example of an international level wrestler against someone who usually has the edge in wrestling against his opponents. He totally made Jamie look like a baby in the very little wrestling we saw between crotch shots. How many times have we seen two black belts square off and one of them subs the other like they were novices? DHK does need to face the next step up in competition but I wouldn't count him out against someone like Koscheck, Shields, or Alves. Doesn't it say something that he dominated Diaz in the grappling department when Nate has been a fighter most opponents try to avoid grappling with?

jaydean
jaydean

02.04.2011 | 8:30 AM ET

@caymanfighter

no idea about the NCAA thing but actually  that parallels a lot of judo guys in mma too.

You hear about legit Judo guys and their accolades in Judo in the UFC but honestly even guys like Kim,Akiyama, etc are high level judo guys(who have medaled in Japan tourneys and Korean tourneys, Asian Games) but they still arent nearly good enough to make the international Olympic squad.

but the thing is if you make it to the Olympics and medal you are probably not gonna waste time doing MMA for chump change unless the guy is completly out of his prime(Yoshida being a great example)

@Lynxguy
yeah I'd love for Kim to have a step up in comp like that .

I think  he beats Condit pretty easily. He would do what Rory did but not get sweeped and have his back taken and do it for three rounds.

I think he dominates Kos but like I said in my personal opinion(which many diasgree with) he is the single most overrated guy in the division. He only has wrestling. No ground game, when he faced a legit sub guy off his back in Dusin he almost got triangled. The only time hes had success on the feet was against Dustin and Yoshida(two of the worst strikers in that divsion and cut). and he got his title shot by beating Daley who has no wrestling.

Penn,Shields,Fitch is gonna be very competitive and I would LOVE to see those fights seeing how Kim has been saying OVER and OVER again in interveiws that he matches up real well with Fitch and Sheilds .
jaydean
jaydean

02.04.2011 | 8:36 AM ET

@caymanfighter

another reason for that may be some fighters adjust their wrestling or judo better to MMA than others no matter what the credentials.

Look at Hendricks with all that hype because of his wrestling backround and he gets outwrestled by Story and squeaks by TJ Grant.

Another example would be in pure Judo, logically Akiyama would destroy Okami(Okami just did Judo through high school and college ) but I'm 100 percent sure in the cage when they clinch up Okami would take down Akiyama with ease.
skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

04.26.2011 | 10:53 PM ET

I like the stun gun and i definatly think he is underrated, I just dont think he is that exciting of a fighter thats why hes not at the top now

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

04.27.2011 | 12:03 AM ET

I guess I have a hard time taking DHK really serious as a top WW since he did lose a fight to Karo Parisyan right as he started his downfall...I guess I'll see more and make a better call after his fight with Condit

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

WinningOne
WinningOne
  • Predictions:  256  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  242
  • Post Score: 58

04.27.2011 | 12:27 AM ET

If he beats Condit I might believe it. It wasn't to long ago that he lost to Parisyan to. 

"“I will knock your hair black” – Ken Shamrock to Ortiz"

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

04.27.2011 | 12:29 AM ET

love DHK, but he wont be a ufc champ.

"Frig off, bud"

Jono
Jono
  • Predictions:  2,901  |  67.9%
  • Forum Posts:  417
  • Post Score: 54

04.27.2011 | 1:51 AM ET

jaydean makes a good case and gives us something to watch for in Kim's next fight.  I guess I'm just not sold on Kim yet, until I see some proof of his said potential.  At this point I would pick both Story and Ellenberger to beat him, and would venture to guess that Mike Pierce, whom i believe to be the most underrated WW, would straight up run roughshod over Kim.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Gabriel Benitez: Still flying the flag
  • UFC.com : Rhythm Is Gonna Get You: Why Timing Is Everything For Matheus Nicolau
  • MMA Junkie : Tatsuro Taira fills UFC 302 opening, fights Joshua Van
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Preview
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Malott books UFC return after upset loss to Neil Magny
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BTL live now
  • MMAFighting.com : Donald Cerrone reveals nasty injury preparing to ride Dana White’s Twisted Steel
  • MMA Mania : Once More, With Kicking
  • Bad Left Hook : Adrien Broner vs Blair Cobbs official for June 7, WBC title fight on undercard
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping says he's down for Luke Rockhold trilogy fight – with a condition
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith Pitches For Alex Pereira Fight, Says He ‘Would Really Step In The Fire’ With ‘Poatan’
  • Middle Easy : Khabib Nurmagomedov Threatened to ‘Rip Up’ UFC Contract to Get His Friend a Fight
  • MMA Mania : What’s The Holdup?
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Bisping would ‘100 percent’ have trilogy fight with Luke Rockhold in Karate Combat
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55's Bogdan Guskov still down for Anthony Smith fight despite 'friendly sparring'
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo Discusses UFC 301 Return And Boxing Match With Floyd Mayweather, Backs Conor McGregor To Finish Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Leon Edwards’ Coach is ’99 Percent’ Certain the Belal Muhammad Fight Will Happen at UFC 304
  • UFC.com : Ryan Spann: Consistency Builds Confidence
  • MMA Junkie : Dan Hooker claps back at Renato Moicano: 'You're the easiest money I've ever seen in my life, you chinless scumbag'
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney releases first statement since Ryan Garcia loss, Oscar De La Hoya responds