Topic: Dong Hyun Kim

Future WW Champ

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

jaydean
jaydean
  • Predictions:  151  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 29

02.02.2011 | 12:55 PM ET

and most underrated WW out there.
"Stun Gun" Dong Hyun Kim

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: 김동현, Kim Dong Hyun
  • Pro MMA Record: 22-4-1, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Stun Gun
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: June 17, 2017 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Welterweight | Last Weigh-In: 171.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: Team Stun Gun
  • Height: 6'2" (188cm) | Reach: 76.0" (193cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $777,000 USD
  • Born: Suwon, South Korea
  • Fighting out of: Busan, Yeongnam, South Korea
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

02.02.2011 | 1:02 PM ET

No way, he did not even deserve the win over diaz, that at the very least should have been a draw.

"here I come to save the day"

jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

02.02.2011 | 1:03 PM ET

agreed he's among the most underrated, if not the single most underrated. but the division is so stacked that even if gsp vacates the title it's a land grab for who takes it next. fitch, bj, alves, shields, kos . . . the division is full of killers. kim would have to take his game to the next level to be the division's future champ.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,557
  • Post Score: 275

02.02.2011 | 1:06 PM ET

He's legit.  But he needs to first get past a guy like Fitch, Koscheck, or Thiago Alves. Nate Diaz was a good win, but Diaz isn't the style of fighter that he'll be facing at the top of the division.

Do you think he can beat GSP? I don't, but maybe you mean after GSP is retired or at 185...

"I live, I die, I live again."

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.02.2011 | 2:18 PM ET

From what I've seen of DHK I don't think he's done much to show that he could be a future WW champion.  His win over Nate was very lackluster and aside from that who's he really beaten?  DHK's got tons of time to improve his game, but as of right now I see nothing special from him and I think there's a good handful of WWs in the UFC who are more than capable of beating DHK.  I'd choose GSP, Shields, Koscheck, Fitch, Penn, Condit, and even Nick Diaz over DHK.
With all that said I still have DHK as a top 10 WW, but he needs to improve his game big time if he ever expects to take the UFC's WW belt.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

02.02.2011 | 3:00 PM ET

DHK is a one trick pony....that may be harsh crictism, but ALL he does is take guys down and use his massive top control to keep opponents on ground while delivering very little damage....leading to boring decisions, see nate diaz, amir sadollah, t.j. grant, matt brown...no contest with karo, thanks to drug tests....wrestlers who take him down will win...he isn't comfortable off his back, which isn't a problem usually because he's very good/great in the clinch, but gsp, kos, ellenberger, fitch, penn, and shields would eat his lunch send him packing...unless he develops more skills later, always a possiblity, but right now he's not close to top 10

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked
  • Predictions:  2,021  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  383
  • Post Score: 149

02.02.2011 | 3:25 PM ET

I agree with jersey, unless DHK diversifies his game, it'll be tough to keep moving up in competition.  If your going to be one dimensional in today's UFC, you better be the best in the world at your chosen discipline.  If not, guys are going to exploit you in other areas, or dominate you in your own.  Fitch, Shields, Koscheck, and GSP would beat Kim at his own game.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

02.02.2011 | 4:56 PM ET

DHK is a beast for sure, but I don't see him lasting with Fitch, Kos, GSP or Alves. He could certainly break into the top 10 soon though.

"We Are All One"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.02.2011 | 5:11 PM ET

DHK is a strong wrestler in his division. He has been taking advantage of some good style match ups. I have him at 15 in the WW division and I almost think that is generous. I won't fully be solid on Kim until he starts facing some of the monster wrestlers in the WW division. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

jaydean
jaydean

02.03.2011 | 6:52 PM ET

Well I don't want to be a **** but you guys are completely wrong about him being one dimensional. hes probably the most well rounded WW in the UFC.

He has talked numerous times in interviews that he fights completely different in the UFC because winning is the most important.  If he wanted to he can definitely hang with 95 percent of the UFC WW roster standing.

Look at his record he has numerous KO's,punch KOs,stomp KOs, and head kick KOs(watch any of his fights in Japan where he chooses to strike, he is without a doubt a proficient and long/rangy striker).

But in his words, in Japan they like entertaining fights but in the UFC winning fights gets you the big fights. so he chooses not to risk standing and banging instead dominates like GSP by easily taking guys down and riding an easy decision. Of course whether or not you like this style is up to you.

and his overall judo/wrestling/ground game is probably  other than GSP,Shields, and Ftich's  the best in the game.
Also don't know what you are talking about when you say hes bad off his back. He is a legit sub threat off his back and a legit grappler.

hes also talked about training with NCAA wrestling Champions in USA camps and them struggling to take him down and in his own words "I would eventually get their backs". and hes talked about training with Martin Kapmann and modestly hinted he beats his ass in training.

People are really under looking Kim because no-one yet has even come close to making him fight to his full potential.

he has good stand up with KO power(that head kick in the third almost took Nate's head off)
amazing top game enough to dominate pretty much everyone hes fought
can fight off his back and has subs
awesome takedowns with his combination of Judo/Wrestling(trains at KTT in Korea which is known for their high lvl wrestlers)
never been close to subbed or even wobbled yet in his career.
jaydean
jaydean

02.03.2011 | 6:58 PM ET

Kim has also trained with Shields and probably did very well against him, seeing how hes been calling Shields out for a pretty long time.

I think people are gonna be shocked at how well Kim's game works agaisnt these type of grinding wrestlers. He's much more technical in his ground game compared to those grinidng type wrestlers and has the same type of strength.

Thats probably why hes been saying again and again he wants to fight Fitch or Shield s. Maybe hes wrong but there's probably a legit reason why he  believes he can beat them .
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,557
  • Post Score: 275

02.03.2011 | 7:04 PM ET

@jaydean I'm sure his next fight will be a step up in competition and we will see. 

"I live, I die, I live again."

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

02.03.2011 | 7:38 PM ET

You do now that that gsp is still the ww champ and no.1 pound for pound fighter in the world. dhk might get a title shot if he can beats guys like fitch alves penn or kos. But for now lets just leave it at him being one of the better welterweights around

@jaydean gsp could destroy any welterweight in the world if he didn't worry so much about not getting knocked out

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.04.2011 | 3:32 AM ET

@jaydean - your in a tough one here dude, he won't be in my top 10 until he faces a top tier guy with legit striking and TD defense. I'm curious who they match him up against. And yes i can see him fending off TD's from some NCAA wrestlers, but one thing that sounds kind of dumb to me is if he is wrestling with them he has nothing to be proud of when he takes their back. Lets remember NCAA wrestlers are there to do exactly that and it's very habitual for them to give up their back, it's almost built into their nature like a baby sucking their thumb to avoid getting pinned. Nate Diaz showed if you push the pace he'll be exhausted after two intense rounds, so that's a definite improvement he needs to make along with his stand-up. If you "claim" he KO'd all kinds of people in Japan, then he needs to show it and odds are he'll be forced to show it in the near future.
jaydean
jaydean

02.04.2011 | 6:41 AM ET

O i agree with you hes not top ten yet until he faces one of those high level WW wrestlers. But seriously there is NO top tier guy with high level wrestling AND striking other than GSP. (not shields, not fitch, and not Kos, not Kapmann etc). Honestly other than GSP, Kim is seriously the most rounded guy in the division.

and I would use his fight agaisnt TJ Grant as a conctrete example for how high level Kim's wrestling is.

Jonny Hendricks had a HELL of a time beating TJ(many actually say TJ Grant was robbed) and he barely got the win with his amazing college wrestling backround. When TJ fought Kim he got absolutly grapple ******/dominated for three whole round.

By the end of the fight you hear him muttering to his corner,"Damn He has good wrestling..." even though Kim is a Judo guy.

ALSO
By NCAA wrestling champs he means probably Kos,Munoz,Simpson,Fitch etc guys who are actually MMA guys not pure wrestlers.
He probably just didn't want to say the actual names of the fighters because of the whole closed door policy about sparring in American Camps.

But he was definitely talking about high level mma wrestlers not just pure wrestlers. So him getting those guys backs definitely means something because so far in EVERY fight hes had hes managed to get the guys back and hang like a monkey.

jaydean
jaydean

02.04.2011 | 6:47 AM ET

I'm also not "claiming" anything about Kim's overall striking level.

Go actually watch his fights when he fought in Japan. (youtube is your friend)

90 percent of the time he chose to stand and bang(because the President of DEEP gave him a lecture once when he fought somewhat boring).

and he had literally like 6 or 7 KO's in a row. So to say he has no striking is ********. he just chooses not to use it and he doesn't need to yet seeing he hasn't even left the octagon with a scratch.

Not to add hes huge and lanky and has a incredibly long reach.

Seriously just because GSP doesn't choose to use his striking anymore doesn't mean hes a one dimensional grappler.
Same goes for Kim.

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

02.04.2011 | 6:52 AM ET

I see what your saying now, sorry for totally portraying your comments wrong.... I am excited to see what long dong kim has in his future. He has shown amazing grappling and submission defense, the first round of the Diaz fight was so fun to watch. I think he'll be getting a top 5-7 guy in his next fight being he's already attempting to call out GSP (the attempt was actually pathetic being he was so winded he could hardly talk)
hahaha
jeremy
jeremy
  • Predictions:  1,062  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 168

02.04.2011 | 7:12 AM ET

there's a lot here i can accept @jay and i agree he is extremely underrated, probably the most so in the division.

however, i'm looking at what it would take for him to actually seize the title, and that's probably 3-4 straight wins over the best in the division. would you bet on anyone, even gsp, to win four straight against 170's best? you have to figure that, in no particular order, he'd have to face an elite striker like alves, hardy, johnson, bj or kos, an elite grappler like fitch or shields or kos, some other top opponent like condit, or diego or paulo thiago, and then top it all off by beating gsp or whoever holds the title after him.  it's a lot to ask of any man and i'm not sure he gets there from where he now stands.

"Damn right I like the life I live / Cause I went from negative to positive."

jaydean
jaydean

02.04.2011 | 7:23 AM ET

o I'm not saying with absolute confidence that Kim will be champ. That would just be stupid, I just think he has the POTENTIAL to do so.

And Dana wants Kim to succeed to penetrate the Korean market. Hes probably the main player for their expansion in South Korea.

I would not be surprised one bit if he gets a title shot after beating two more ranked guys.

And if that happens that would be about a 9 or 8 winning streak in the UFC(and undefeated out of it) which really compared to Kos or Hardy is a MUCH MUCH more legit contender record.

and imho
I see him beating Hardy with ease.
I see him being a terrible matchup for lytle. condit,Paulo thiago, Kos(I personally think Kos is almost as overrated as Hardy).
I see him giving a HELL of a time and very competitive fight for Fitch,Shields,and BJ.

I know current ranking wise he shouldnt be above most of those guys.
But skillwise I dont think Kim is lacking in anyway (other than Cardio which I admit he def needs to fix, after dominating the first two rounds he has a tendence to ride out the last round because he's gassed)
jaydean
jaydean

02.04.2011 | 7:30 AM ET

@Jeremy and yeah hes really underrated by MMA fans(no idea why, hes the example of exciting grappling imho).

I remember I won a ****load of money when Kim was the underdog to ****en Amir(no ****en clue why, worst match up for Amir possible)

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.04.2011 | 7:44 AM ET

Kim's next fight should be against someone like Condit or Koscheck or maybe even the loser of the Fitch/Penn fight to see just how legit his is and where he belongs in the rankings.  I really think any of those guys could expose some holes in DHK's game to beat him.  On the other hand if DHK beats any of those guys he'll earn a solid spot in the top 10.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev For No. 1 Contender To Headline UFC Saudi Arabia
  • Bad Left Hook : Predictions: Tszyu vs Fundora, Romero vs Cruz, and MUCH more!
  • MMAFighting.com : John Kavanagh questions Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul: ‘I don’t think someone approaching 60 needs to be fighting’
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC North American West Coast Trials 2024 Full Preview
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker on fighting Khamzat Chimaev: 'I'm in a great headspace to take another hard fight'
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘This is a nice place to fight somebody’: Golfing with Mike Perry on the debut episode of Swing Rounds
  • MMA Mania : Luque Vs. Buckley Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA and bareknuckle boxing action March 29-30
  • MMA Junkie : UFC announces multiyear deal for twice-annual events in Perth starting with UFC 305
  • MMA Mania : UFC 305 Headed Down Under To Perth
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Coach counters Daniel Cormier’s Islam Makhachev claim, says ‘nobody is more dangerous’ than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 305 lands in Perth, Australia on Aug. 17
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC Saudi Arabia Fight Card, ABC Lineup
  • MMA Mania : Never Mind! Colby Won’t Fight Down For Garry
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Star Jack Della Maddalena Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Main Event For UFC Saudi Arabia On June 22
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Saudia Arabia fight card announced with Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headliner
  • MMA Mania : Khamzat Vs Whittaker Headlines UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : Khamzat Chimaev vs. Robert Whittaker set as UFC Saudi Arabia main event, 4 more fights announced
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Sandman Sees Suga Stop The Machine