Tapology Forums

Losing ranking position for not being in the UFC

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,042  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,188
  • Post Score: 191

01.22.2023 | 8:15 PM ET

Following the announcement of N’Gannou no longer under contract with the UFC, he lost 6 positions in the ranking.

That’s means the UFC false accounts are enough to make fighter drop from 6 positions.

I validate my estimation with the other “non-UFC” fighter that I rank top 15.

Ryan Bader: my ranking HW 14, Tapology ranking HW 24
 Vadim Nemkov: my ranking LHW 6, Tapology ranking LHW 12
 Corey Anderson: my ranking LHW 7, Tapology ranking LHW. 15
 Thiago Santos: my ranking LHW 8, Tapology ranking LHW 18
 Phil Davis: my ranking LHW 15, Tapology ranking LHW 19
 Yaroslav Amosov my ranking WW 12, Tapology ranking WW 37
 Patricio Pitbull my ranking FW 15, Tapology ranking FW 22
 Demetrious Johnson my ranking BM 9, Tapology ranking BW 39
 Askar Askarov my ranking FLW 7, Tapology ranking FLW 13
 Dustin Ortiz my ranking FLW 12, Tapology ranking FLW 31

Should Tapology do something about that? Like closing the false account or give a 6 position boost to every top 15 non-UFC fighter?

"Never go down without a fight"

Responses

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  40,875  |  69.3%
  • Forum Posts:  7,250
  • Post Score: 283

01.22.2023 | 8:28 PM ET

Depends if Tapology couldprove that those accounts were run by the UFC themselves. The site's rankings are made up by the users and one thing I've learnt from this case is that there are LOT of people in this community who are UFC fans but not necessarily MMA fans. I think it's more likely that these sort of people are causing this effect on the rankings which doesn't make for accurate rankings but does represent the overall fan opinion on the rankings which seems to be what Tapology is going for. Rankings are subjective as it is and when you factor in that the Tapology rankings work more like a popularity ranking than any kind of point system ranking, then you'll always end up with some funny results.

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,042  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,188
  • Post Score: 191

01.22.2023 | 10:00 PM ET

Pretty sure theres a lot of account managed by UFC employed. I did not know that Askarov was no longer in the UFC even if I take information on 3 differents MMA site and still, he was dropped from around 6 position.

I understand that people who only watch UFC may not know about Nemkov or Pitbull or may have forget Ryan Bader with time but they all know N'Gannou. I dont think anyone can be stupid enought to think he became weaker then guy he nearly kill just because is contrat expire.

I dont know if theres a quick way for Tapology to check if the account that drop fighter from the ranking as soon as they are no longer in the UFC are account used only for ranking of if they make pick, post on the forom etc.

* Edited at 01.22.2023, 10:04 PM ET *

"Never go down without a fight"

MMARanks
MMARanks
  • Predictions:  582  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  196
  • Post Score: 135

01.22.2023 | 11:13 PM ET

I would presume that there are a bunch of people that simply make their rankings based on tweaking the current UFC rankings... so they take the UFC's list and just make slight changes where they want to.

On top of that, there are plenty who put the UFC champ at number 1, no matter what.  So people might of thought Francis didn't have a great level of activity or whatever, but still held him at number 1 because of the belt.  Now that he doesn't have the belt, those people no longer feel obligated to give him their automatic top spot.

People also gas a fighter off their list if they announce retirement, so many could be treating Francis as retired MMA fighter turned boxer already.

But I do hear what you're saying.  Moving people in the rankings based on announcements seems weird.  Francis below Stipe seems weird.

I wish Tapology would allow for more contributions than they do.  Right now, they only allow for 75 lists for HW, and the next list that will get booted off the most recent 75 is only 5 days old.  Results are always better with a larger sample size, so I wish they'd allow for every list that's been submitted in the last 13 days or so to count. (Maybe full weighting for 7 days or less and partial weighting for 8-14 days old)

"Facts > Feelings"

paecdjinn
paecdjinn
  • Predictions:  4,567  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  17
  • Post Score: 106

01.25.2023 | 6:28 AM ET

Feel that this thread needs to be more visible. 

I really do like what the Tapology consensus rankings brings to the table and it's been an absolute joy to contribute to it, but it's very clear that there's a lot of flaws with the ranking. My personal wishlists for updates to the Tapology's consensus rankings are as follows:

1. Allow more than the most recent 75 lists to be counted. It's quite clear that Tapology's grown quite a lot and counting only the most recent 75 lists creates for erratic movements.

2. Mandate a minimum of 15 entries for the list to be counted towards the consensus. Whilst I know the the lists with low number of entries are weighed less than lists with more entries, it feels like lists with less than 15 entries do sway the consensus (especially with only the most recent 75 lists being taken into consideration)

3. Related to point #2 above, weigh lists with more entries a lot higher. I know the current method does this, but it feels as if lists with less number of entries still sway the consensus quite significantly (particularly since only the most recent 75 lists are taken into consideration)

4. Allow for fighters to be ranked in multiple divisions if they've fought in them in say their last 5 fights? This one is a bit of an annoyance as not only do you lose the entry and notes if a fighter changes division, fighters who may have been classified by Tapology's system due to "catchweight" fights or one-off fights lose their ranking. It takes manual editing of the fighter's division for the fighter to be eligible to be ranked in his/her true weight class, but by then the entry may have been lost already. There are many examples of this but the most recent of note are Li Jingliang (has been moved back to WW), Santi Ponzinibbio and Alex Morono. 

5. Related to point #4 above, due to ONE's weird weigh-in rules, ONE fights should perhaps be deemed to either be in their "true" weight or deemed to be in both weight classes (the true one and the inflated one due to the hydration rules). For example ONE's welterweights would be deemed to be in Middleweight and Welterweight. 

6. Allow for rankings to be updated via mobile. Unless I'm wrong, I don't think this is possible at this stage.

7. Make more information on the fighter choice in the rankings list be more available (ie fight record). Currently fighters with the same name and no nicknames can get confused, leading to the wrong person being ranked. 

* Edited at 01.25.2023, 6:37 AM ET *

"Predicting and ranking with the booiiiiizzzzz"

MMARanks
MMARanks
  • Predictions:  582  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  196
  • Post Score: 135

01.26.2023 | 10:09 PM ET

@ paecdjinn

Really great post.

You're right about the heartbreak that stems from spending a lot of time posting a long thought-out list, only to get your list booted by someone who throws up a list with one or two names on it...sometimes even ZERO names.

Sure, those people will just fire some more names on their list at random if they have to, but still...  haha

If the site just allowed all lists within 13 days old to count, this point would be moot... so it's back to the "allow more than 75" thing.

To your point about different weight classes, you are correct.  It causes the issues you touched on, and I really feel for those people who put great summaries in their notes, only to lose them when a fighter moves for a one-off or has a catchweight bout. 

You are also bang on about including the fighters' record in the selection window.  Marina Rodriguez is a prime example of someone who is getting shafted because some people are selecting the wrong one.

Might be selfish, but I'm sure other people with longer lists would like the added ability to type in a fighter's ranking number, rather than have to drag them to that spot.  It would likely be faster to be able to type in a number, then the fighter moves to that spot on the list and everyone at that number and below slides down one.

Lastly, instead of purging fighters from the weight class if they fight in another, I wish it would wait and purge fighters who haven't fought at that weight for X number of years.  There are still people with Brock Lesnar or Travis Browne on their lists.  That's gotta be worse than still being able to have Khamzat Chimaev on your welterweight list, right?

The 2-year ineligible logic is built into the regional rankings, so the code exists to apply to the regular rankings too, I would imagine.

Anyway, good thoughts shared here, everyone.

"Facts > Feelings"

CeruleanBig
CeruleanBig
  • Predictions:  785  |  59.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 50

01.26.2023 | 10:54 PM ET

World Rankings

When ranking fighters, there's lots if value to UFC fighters, but there is incredible talent everywhere. Here's a few examples from my World Rankings. 

Girl-Rilla #2 W-FLW 
Cyborg #2 W-FW
Mighty Mouse #1 FLW
Pitbull #3 FW
Jamahal Hill #1 LHW
Ngannou #1 HW

"They're calling it MMA Saturdays"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Dana White Makes Promise to His Children That Infamous Wife-Slapping Incident ‘Will Never Happen Again’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Thought I Had Cancer’
  • MMA Junkie : Maycee Barber fires back at Erin Blanchfield for calling her pathetic: 'Erin fought my leftovers'
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor opens up about fighting future: 'It's to the grave'
  • Bad Left Hook : Walters turns back clock, beats Adorno in ProBox main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Nicholas Walters turns back clock, beats Joseph Adorno in ProBox main event
  • Middle Easy : Georges St-Pierre Reveals Why He Retired: ‘I Thought Maybe I Had Cancer’
  • MMA Mania : White Vows Wife Slap ‘Will Never Happen Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Reaction to Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headlining UFC Saudi Arabia
  • Bad Left Hook : Cuadras out, Moloney vs Guevara set for May 12
  • Bad Left Hook : Carlos Cuadras out, Andrew Moloney vs Pedro Guevara set for May 12
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BTL LIVE now
  • MMA Junkie : Despite failed booking, Vicente Luque thinks he'll eventually fight Ian Machado Garry
  • MMAFighting.com : Georges St-Pierre explains advantages he’d have in Khabib Nurmagomedov matchup: ‘I would have beat him’
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Her ‘Scary’ Ordeal With Pneumonia After UFC 299
  • MMA Junkie : Jamall Emmers: Nate Landwehr being 'the opposite of me' will make for exciting UFC on ESPN 54 fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Renato Moicano fires back at Paddy Pimblett callout: ‘He’s a free paycheck’
  • MMA Mania : Bookies Back ‘Borz’ To Beat ‘Reaper’
  • MMA Junkie : John Dodson laments UFC pushing him to 135, thinks he'd knock out Alexandre Pantoja 'right now'
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev For No. 1 Contender To Headline UFC Saudi Arabia