Topic: UFC 285

UFC 285: Jones vs. Gane

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,009
  • Post Score: 47

10.24.2022 | 11:38 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 285
  • Saturday 03.04.2023 at 05:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $12,150,000
  • Attendance: 19,471
  • MMA Bouts: 14
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Jon Jones   defeats   Ciryl Gane   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   2:04 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Alexa Grasso   defeats   Valentina Shevchenko   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:34 Round 4 of 5, 19:34 Total Bout Page
Shavkat Rakhmonov   defeats   Geoff Neal   via Submission, Standing Rear Naked Choke   4:17 Round 3 of 3, 14:17 Total Bout Page
Mateusz Gamrot   defeats   Jalin Turner   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Bo Nickal   defeats   Jamie Pickett   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   2:54 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Cody Garbrandt   defeats   Trevin Jones   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Dricus Du Plessis   defeats   Derek Brunson   via KO/TKO, Corner Stoppage   4:59 Round 2 of 3, 9:59 Total Bout Page
Amanda Ribas   defeats   Viviane Araujo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Marc-André Barriault   defeats   Julian Marquez   via KO/TKO, Punches (standing TKO)   4:12 Round 2 of 3, 9:12 Total Bout Page
Ian Machado Garry   defeats   Kenan Song   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:22 Round 3 of 3, 14:22 Total Bout Page
Cameron Saaiman   defeats   Mana Martinez   via Decision, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tabatha Ricci   defeats   Jessica Penne   via Submission, Armbar   2:14 Round 2 of 3, 7:14 Total Bout Page
Farid Basharat   defeats   Da'Mon Blackshear   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Loik Radzhabov   defeats   Esteban Ribovics   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 18

MMAFORTUNETELLER
MMAFORTUNETELLER
  • Predictions:  32  |  56.3%
  • Forum Posts:  165
  • Post Score: -526

02.25.2023 | 9:43 PM ET

CHECK OUT THE NEW FORMAT BOYS!!

This user is suspended from posting until 4 weeks, 1 day, 17 hours, and 12 minutes from now.
MMAFORTUNETELLER
MMAFORTUNETELLER
  • Predictions:  32  |  56.3%
  • Forum Posts:  165
  • Post Score: -526

02.25.2023 | 9:44 PM ET

YOU KIDDING ME

AND DONT ACT LIKE THOSE FREE PLAYS I HAVE BEEN OISTING ARENT HITTING THATS NOW 10 FOR 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This user is suspended from posting until 4 weeks, 1 day, 17 hours, and 12 minutes from now.
JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  12,556  |  72.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,516
  • Post Score: 13

02.25.2023 | 9:48 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 755 Points   |   Tied for 896th

he picked jones

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

i cant wait to bet gane

thank you for making me more confident in my pick

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

JReynolds47
JReynolds47

02.25.2023 | 9:49 PM ET

and he chose ribas hahahahha

your making this toooooooo ezzzzz

JReynolds47
JReynolds47

02.25.2023 | 9:50 PM ET

i feel much more confident.

thanks for the picks

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,948  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,055
  • Post Score: 88

02.25.2023 | 10:03 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 695 Points   |   Tied for 1913th

Jones vs. Gane
Ciryl Gane, DEC
Very close fight. Gane is like the heavyweight version of Jones so this is a very intriguing fight. I will lean gane because of activity and being a full heavyweight

Shevchenko vs. Grasso
Valentina Shevchenko, DEC
This could be close because val has been on the decline and grasso is part of the new wave of wmma, but I think she’s still on a different level than most (besides Erin). The standup should be good, kickboxing vs boxing but, for as much as grasso has improved her grappling, val is so much better on the ground. Could see a sub but it’s wmma so won’t pick it

Neal vs. Rakhmonov
Shavkat Rakhmonov, SUB, R2
I don’t think the extra time will help neal that much. He is talented, but Shavkat is on another level. He won’t give neal the brawl that he wants and will play at range with kicks. He also has a huge grappling upside which I think he will use here. One worry is the power of neal, but shavkat’s footwork is actually pretty good and I think he can avoid the power shots

Gamrot vs. Turner
Mateusz Gamrot, DEC
I love this fight more than the original. Gamrot is a liability on the feet, especially here, but his grappling is elite. I don’t think turners grappling has imprved that much since the Frevola fight, and I don’t think he will be able to defend nonstop for three rounds. He could drop gamrot, but gamrots recovery is insane. I think after the first round, gamrot could break turner

Pickett vs. Nickal
Bo Nickal, SUB, R1
I am slightly nervous for Bo just because of the expectations he has, but it’s highly unlikely he loses. Pickett is so garbage. Doesn’t like to get hit, bad striking, bad wrestling, no fight iq, quits, you name it he’s got it. I don’t know just how capable bo is, but his grappling looks elite and he Carries power which is enough to smoke Pickett

Garbrandt vs. Jones
Cody Garbrandt, TKO, R2
I really like trevin but I think this is a great comeback fight for Cody. Trevin is better than his record, but he has a mental block. He is too hesitant to let his hands go and just does a lot of nothing when he’s in the cage. He really can crack but ever since his loss to saidyokub, he hasn’t let his hands go at all. His bjj is solid too but that doesn’t really matter here. Cody is pretty low volume nowadays but he does hit hard. He has been to dagestan and trained with Allstars for this camp as well so I think oddly we could see him wrestle. Imo this will look like the assuncao fight; a lot of feints and missing shots until Cody lands a bomb

Brunson vs. Du Plessis
Dricus Du Plessis, TKO, R3
Have a feeling this one will get ugly but this is the best matchup in the top 15 for ddp. Brunson is old, has a bad gas tank, and chinny. Now he does have good wrestling and hits hard, but he does blitz in with his chin up all the time. Ddp does the same thing, but he’s more atheltic m, faster, and can actually take a punch. His tdd seems decent as it is. I do worry he could get taken down and start to gas, but I think he’s just simply better than Brunson at this point. Always hard to be confident in ddp because he fights like an idiot

Araujo vs. Ribas
Viviane Araujo, TKO, R2
Shockingly confident in araujo here. I already don’t like Ribas going up a weight class as it is but fighting a very physical girl like araujo is not a good fight for her. Araujo has great tdd and Ribas will not have success with her judo throws like she has with other girls. That will force her to stand and strike. She is actually good on the feet and has good defense, but she doesn’t like to get hit. Araujo pushes a pace and hits very hard. I think she will find the chin of Ribas

Marquez vs. Barriault
Julian Marquez, DEC
Really hard one for me to pick. Barriault is a cardio fighter. He starts slow and pushes a pace to try and break his opponents. Not a very technical striker and doesn’t have the best tdd. His best qualities are his toughness and cardio but against marquez I don’t know how successful he will be. Marquez is **** but he has an iron chin and also seemingly endless cardio. He did get merked last fight but Robocop hits hard and barriault also doesn’t have power like that. I do worry barriault gets the better of marquez in striking exchanges because he’s just a better striker, but he’s not gonna be able to use his cardio to win like he can with others. Close fight tho

Machado Garry vs. Song
Ian Machado Garry, TKO, R1
I was wrong about garry but still not really a fan of him. This should be an easy win for him. Kenan is decent but hasn’t fought in forever and got brutally slept in his last fight. Garry is a phenomenal striker and should be able to beat him to the punch. He can also win with grappling

Martinez vs. Saaiman
Cameron Saaiman, TKO, R3
Saaiman is a stud but he is fairly green. He is a slow starter and does make some mistakes but the skills are there. Atheltic freak, endless cardio, great striking and grappling. Mana is not very good and has been dissapointing in the ufc but one thing he does have is power. Especially his spinning backfist. I could maybe see him clipping saaiman with it at least once but other than that saaiman is better everywhere

Penne vs. Ricci
Tabatha Ricci, DEC
I don’t think ricci is all that she’s hyped up to be but penne is ****. She’s never been been and is getting worse with age. Ricci isn’t the best striker but she’s good enough of a grappler to beat penne

Basharat vs. Blackshear
Farid Basharat, SUB, R3
Cruel matchmaking for blackshear. He’s not bad but is too green for the ufc. Drawing a basharat in his second fight isn’t exactly helpful for him. He’s got some good qualities like being huge for the weight class, good cardio, and good bjj, but he still does a lot of things wrong. He is pesky with his striking but he does get a little sloppy and when he is forced to strike he gets tired in later rounds. His bjj is good but he constantly puts himself in compromising positions. Farid is not as good as his brother, but he is still very good. He’s got the same karate stance as his brother, but his head movement isn’t as good as javids. I’ve seen him get clipped a few times before too. He is more grappling focused and his bjj is actually legit. With Damon putting himself in bad positions constantly I think Farid destroys him

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,305  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,339
  • Post Score: 168

02.25.2023 | 10:18 PM ET

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 795 Points   |   Tied for 455th

I think Jon Jones will use his wrestling and further expose that weakness in Gane's defense.
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,948  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,055
  • Post Score: 88

02.25.2023 | 10:20 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 695 Points   |   Tied for 1913th

He only mixes it in, never has a full wrestling gameplan. Hasn’t done it in like 6 years 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,305  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,339
  • Post Score: 168

02.25.2023 | 10:23 PM ET

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 795 Points   |   Tied for 455th

I think Jon might have a wrestling heavy gameplan, since Francis Nganou exposed that weakness in Gane's defense.
Mothswords
Mothswords
  • Predictions:  2,528  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,269
  • Post Score: 151

02.25.2023 | 10:48 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 4821st

Jones vs. Gane
Ciryl Gane, DEC
Cheers to no apex cards for at least the next couple months. Difficult fight to pick. I'm going with Gane because Jones struggles with guys he doesn't have a massive reach advantage over & Gane is probably the best striker Jones has faced. I know Francis was able to lay on top of Gane but I think Gane will definitely be training the grappling defense for this fight & get the W

Shevchenko vs. Grasso
Valentina Shevchenko, DEC
I knew Talia Santos would be Shevs hardest title defense but I believe this will be a fairly easy & boring fight for her. She is 35 now so maybe Grasso gets the upset but I don't think her boxing which is her strength will be good enough to get the win. Shev 49-46

Neal vs. Rakhmonov
Shavkat Rakhmonov, SUB, R3
Shavkat is the more well rounded fighter. I think Neal has a better chance than what most people do but I'm also an idiot

Gamrot vs. Turner
Jalin Turner, TKO, R3
Huge respect to Gamrot for taking this fight on short notice & if he had a full camp id pick him but I think his style of fighting requires a full camp to be successful against a dangerous opponent like Turner. I can see Gamrot winning the first 2 rounds but gassing if he can't finish Turner & I believe Turner will be able to defend the takedowns late in the fight and **** Gamrot up on the feet

Pickett vs. Nickal
Bo Nickal, SUB, R1
I get this is a showcase fight for Nickal but hilarious that Jamie ******* Pickett is on the main card of a ppv. This is my most confident pick on the card which means Nickal will lose by DQ

Garbrandt vs. Jones
Trevin Jones, TKO, R2
So there's still people out there that believe Garbrant can take a punch? I envy people with that much hope

Brunson vs. Du Plessis
Dricus Du Plessis, TKO, R3
Basically the same style of fighters but Du Plessis is more durable and younger

Araujo vs. Ribas
Viviane Araujo, TKO, R1
Ribas has awful striking defense and a sus chin. I don't trust her against Araujo who is a tank

Marquez vs. Barriault
Julian Marquez, SUB, R3
Both guys are terrible but I think Marquez is more dangerous

Machado Garry vs. Song
Ian Machado Garry, TKO, R1
The UFC knows what theyre doing. Only way song wins is if Garry doesn't take him seriously

Martinez vs. Saaiman
Cameron Saaiman, TKO, R3
Saaiman is better everywhere who does Martinez even train with now that James Krause is gone

Penne vs. Ricci
Tabatha Ricci, DEC
Penne is good off her back so she could get the upset but I think Ricci lays on her every round for a boring decision win

Basharat vs. Blackshear
Farid Basharat, TKO, R3
Basharat is the better striker & is just as good of a grappler as Blackshear. Tko from body shots 🔮

* Edited at 02.25.2023, 10:49 PM ET *

GreenTeaEnthusiast
GreenTeaEnthusiast

02.25.2023 | 11:01 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 1 Perfect, 585 Points   |   Tied for 3721st

Jones vs. Gane
Ciryl Gane, TKO, R4
I can smell the downvotes brewing. Personally, I don't think this fight will be close. I think Gane's going to whoop Jones from pillar to post and absolutely embarrass him. In addition to Jones looking older and stiffer in his last few performances, I highly doubt that working with Cejudo with do anything significant for him at this point in his career - well after his peak, where major changes to his style or approach likely won't be made. At the very least, if he'd had a few fights under the tutelage of Cejudo first, then I could maybe back him here; but nope, he chose Gane, a tall, powerful, agile, lateral-movement-based counter-striker who uses angles supremely well, for return fight. I'm not going to bash on Jones for the Reyes performance, but I think it's obvious that the damage and years of bodily abuse is finally catching up to Jones. I don't think it's as simple as "Jones will take him down", because Gane is going to have a disgusting strength advantage on fight night. The strength from Jones deadlifting 600lbs will only come into play once he's accustomed to carrying all the additional weight around, moving around in a fight situation where he has to make decisions on the fly. Unless Gane has a terrible off-night, or Jones is just way better right NOW than I'm giving him credit for, I think this should be a fairly dominant showing for Gane.

Shevchenko vs. Grasso
Valentina Shevchenko, SUB, R2
Can't see anywhere where Grasso could amass success here. She's primarily a boxer, so I can't think of too many ways in which she could make Shevchenko struggle on the entry to the bodylock.

Neal vs. Rakhmonov
Shavkat Rakhmonov, DEC
Shavkat is very good, but this should be closer than the odds suggest. I think at the very least, Geoff will be able to impose his down-the-pipe counters for a little and make Shavkat wear the damage.

Gamrot vs. Turner
Mateusz Gamrot, SUB, R1
If Turner can't spark him out, which is a question mark given Gamrot's granite chin, Gamrot will probably drag him down and dominate.

Garbrandt vs. Jones
Trevin Jones, TKO, R2
This is very iffy. Garbrandt is more skilled, but Jones honestly didn't look awful against Basharat or Kakhramonov. He did get absolutely worked by Barcelos though, which is concerning because I could see Cody employing a similar gameplan to his opponent and amassing the same degree of success. Still though, I think now his chin is absolutely shot, and if Jones can find the mark even once, he can put him away for good.

Martinez vs. Saaiman
Cameron Saaiman, TKO, R2
I think Martinez is being undersold here a little bit, but Saaiman is a very promising prospect nonetheless.

depmode33
depmode33
  • Predictions:  248  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,383
  • Post Score: 183

02.25.2023 | 11:21 PM ET

I'm also going with Gane for this one.  If there is any fighter that deserves the spotlight of taking out Jon Jones, it is Ciryl Gane.  That guy has an awesome personality and he's great for the sport as a champion. 
DrChaotic
DrChaotic
  • Predictions:  6,259  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,242
  • Post Score: 71

02.25.2023 | 11:32 PM ET

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 830 Points   |   Tied for 220th

Glad to see so many other people picking Gane. I really hope he wins, Jones doesn’t deserve to hold a title ever again 
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 8 months, 6 days, 6 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
LA Mmattttt
LA Mmattttt
  • Predictions:  1,855  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  98
  • Post Score: 22

02.25.2023 | 11:45 PM ET

Grasso and Gane about to shock the world

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 3333rd

"Rankings and records ain't nothing but numbers used as a marketing tool, they don't reflect the true level of abilities "

ImRealUgly
ImRealUgly
  • Predictions:  2,169  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,201
  • Post Score: 131

02.26.2023 | 12:33 AM ET

Jones = 🐐

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 4068th

The GOAT is coming to get his belt back. Ngannou was a good placeholder but knew his time was coming to an end. RIP Gane. 

* Edited at 02.26.2023, 12:47 AM ET *

"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

DrChaotic
DrChaotic
  • Predictions:  6,259  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,242
  • Post Score: 71

02.26.2023 | 1:02 AM ET

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 830 Points   |   Tied for 220th

Ugly ur a G for starting the Cord, but Jones is ass and gonna get his beat harder than his wife 
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 8 months, 6 days, 6 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
Rah123
Rah123
  • Predictions:  1,239  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,475
  • Post Score: -57

02.26.2023 | 2:58 AM ET

Robbery of the week

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 690 Points   |   Tied for 2018th

Quite honestly, after another robbery with a heavy favourite that everyone was putting in their parlays, namely Johnson, I am now avoiding betting on favourites in fights that are likely to go to decision.

I can guarantee that there will be at least one horrendous decision involving a heavy favourite that will bust up everyones parlays. 

This is how corrupt MMA and judging has become. It's every single week without fail, and it's almost always a heavy favourite that everyone is playing that gets robbed. Absolutely ridiculous at this point.

So I am calling it right now. This weeks robbery of the week will be Farid Basharat. He is likely to go to decision with Blackshear and it could well be 1-1 going into the 3rd round.

I am keeping him the hell away from all my parlays and playing the over instead.

* Edited at 02.26.2023, 2:59 AM ET *

"Positivity is a positive"

Rah123
Rah123

02.26.2023 | 3:26 AM ET

Dog of the Card

I actually have 2

1. Trevin Jones
I think Cody is done. It literally only takes 1 shot to KO him, and Jones has power. Also I can see him using his BJJ which is excellent, though Codys wrestling may be a problem there. Close fight but I think the Dog has a chance.

2. Brunson
I can't believe that I am going to pick BumSon here. But unlike a lot of people I have not been impressed with DuPlessis one bit. I think he is a fraud. Even Darren Till grappled him and Till is no BumSon. DuPlessis has a decent guillotine but his takedown defence is not good, and for 2 rounds Bums is elite. Then by R3 he will gas out, but so will DDP. So I don't see him getting Bums out of there in R3. Also DDP fought just 2 months ago, so he will not have improved. So I think Bums wins a 29 - 28 decision. 

* Edited at 02.26.2023, 3:30 AM ET *

Rah123
Rah123

02.26.2023 | 3:33 AM ET

Also Jon Jones is going to show everyone levels

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,544
  • Post Score: 262

02.26.2023 | 3:46 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 655 Points   |   Tied for 2614th

I'm so hype for this card, Only two fight I think will be boring and that Shevshenko vs Grasso and Penne vs Ricci.

I think every other fight is either gonna be a funny slaughter or a competitive fight, good mix of different MMA while also being violent

"Quack quack quack"

Page 18

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes: Tom Aspinall fight at UFC 304 makes sense, but I learned ‘don’t get my hopes up’
  • Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Tim Means doesn't expect to fight for long: 'I turned 40, I know my time is coming'
  • Bad Left Hook : Cieslak vs Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • Bad Left Hook : Michal Cieslak vs Isaac Chamberlain joins Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe 2 on June 15
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Press Conference Video!
  • UFC.com : UFC Returns To Louisville For UFC Fight Night On June 8 At KFC Yum! Center
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez campaigns for title shot vs. Zhang Weili at UFC 306: 'I get a submission 100 percent'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302: Makhachev vs. Poirier adds key prospect bout
  • UFC.com : Gabriel Benitez: Still flying the flag
  • MMA Mania : A Special Message For Chinless Scumbags