Topic: UFC 284

UFC 284: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,930
  • Post Score: 47

10.07.2022 | 11:04 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 284
  • Saturday 02.11.2023 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: RAC Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Dominick Cruz, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Michael Bisping
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $4,086,687
  • Attendance: 14,124
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: N/A | TV Ratings: 1.13M avg. viewers (ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Islam Makhachev   defeats   Alexander Volkanovski   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Yair Rodriguez   defeats   Josh Emmett   via Submission, Triangle Choke   4:19 Round 2 of 5, 9:19 Total Bout Page
Jack Della Maddalena   defeats   Randy Brown   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Justin Tafa   defeats   Parker Porter   via KO/TKO, Counter Left   1:05 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jimmy Crute   vs.   Alonzo Menifield   Ends in a Draw, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Modestas Bukauskas   defeats   Tyson Pedro   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Josh Culibao   defeats   Melsik Baghdasaryan   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:02 Round 2 of 3, 7:02 Total Bout Page
Kleydson Rodrigues   defeats   Shannon Ross   via KO/TKO, Kicks and Punches   0:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jamie Mullarkey   defeats   Francisco Prado   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jack Jenkins   defeats   Don Shainis   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Loma Lookboonmee   defeats   Elise Reed   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   0:44 Round 2 of 3, 5:44 Total Bout Page
Blake Bilder   defeats   Shane Young   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Elves Brener   defeats   Zubaira Tukhugov   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 45

Bigjewmoney
Bigjewmoney
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 128

02.10.2023 | 3:11 PM ET

Given the fact that Porter has either won by decision or lost by finish on his UFC fights, Tafa dec no bet (-158) feels like free money and a solid parlay piece.. Anyone see this not hitting? 

* Edited at 02.10.2023, 3:12 PM ET *

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,386  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  10,320
  • Post Score: 129

02.10.2023 | 3:11 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1821st

Yair is my one bet this card, I'm not finding much on it overall. Is it a lock? No, far from it, I just think Yair should be a 2to1.

I can understand being on Emmett here. What I can't understand is people who think Holloway would absolutely demolish Emmett but have Emmett to win here. If you think Emmett is going to win this fight then presumably he would have a shot against Max too.

* Edited at 02.10.2023, 3:14 PM ET *

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,263  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,255
  • Post Score: 136

02.10.2023 | 3:16 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 4171st

Fun Presser and Face offs glad to see Islam getting a little charisma he made good points too not gonna lie.
Sambo is not BJJ Judo or Kickboxing its a weird soviet stew of them and the end result is different.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

Bigjewmoney
Bigjewmoney
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 128

02.10.2023 | 3:17 PM ET

@gliese

^^Tailing on Yair bc of your sick read on clark vs da un jung last week!

* Edited at 02.10.2023, 3:17 PM ET *

gliese58i
gliese58i

02.10.2023 | 3:25 PM ET

@Bigjewmoney

Lol I wouldn't call it a sick read but thanks. If you're looking at dogs and have access to livebet then look at Crute Menifield and Pedro Bukauskas. Both of those bouts have favorites who typically don't go beyond the first round and so there could be a scenario where they win the first round but then gas out and lose due to cardio issues. Not predicting it to happen but you never know until you see a fighter put in that spot more than once or twice.

Favorite wins the first round then loses is a scenario that can give you very juicy live lines on dogs from my experience. Of course you need to be able to read the fighter's body language to an extent and the sooner you spot something the better. Hence why I'm always griping in threads when there is a big stream delay.
Also some fighters get a second wind in the 3rd, Crute did win 1st and 3rd vs Craig (his one win past the 1st round in the UFC) so the devil is in the details. BUYER BEWARE.

Right, that should be enough to cover my ass from being sued.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

nvrkc1
nvrkc1
  • Predictions:  42  |  52.4%
  • Forum Posts:  55
  • Post Score: 13

02.10.2023 | 3:43 PM ET

Predictions: 0 of 0 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 5281st

Hey I just came to say I noticed this new update, it looks great, and I'm excited for what's next on Tapology. Thanks! Good luck this weekend!!!

* Edited at 02.10.2023, 3:44 PM ET *

Egor22
Egor22
  • Predictions:  7  |  28.6%
  • Forum Posts:  66
  • Post Score: 21

02.10.2023 | 3:56 PM ET

Yair vs Emmett 

Do people realize how much damage Emmett has taken throughout his career? Did you guys see his face after the Kattar fight? I'm sure he wasn't able to spar for months, had multiple surgeries and not mentioning what Stephens did to his face. 

Emmett is the Anthony Smith of the FW divison. Yes, he's on a good win streak but damage is damage at the end of the day. Why Tony Ferguson wasn't able to return after the Gaethje fight? Right, age and amount of damage he absorbed. 

To me Emmett lost to Ige and Kattar. Yes he has punchers chance and could use his wrestling to win but man he hasn't been using his grappling and we haven't seen him put anybody out cold in a long time. 

Yair in his turn is much younger, more active on the feet (low kicks, front kicks, elbows, if you take him down he will be spamming his elbows, absorbed way less damage than his opponent, more marketable fighter. 

Overall i like Yair more over Emmett. I just can't trust someone who has been in too many wars and have had multiple injuries/surgeries. Rumor has it Emmett is injured (hip). 

Obviously if it goes the distance Emmett given his history might snatch split decision but i doubt it knowing UFC loves new fighters that have highlights, good personality and on top of that Yair is mexican. UFC is opening performance insitute down there soon. 

I got Yair by TKO 2-3 round 
bracket
bracket
  • Predictions:  458  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,738
  • Post Score: 2

02.10.2023 | 3:58 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 8 Winners, 0 Perfect, 230 Points   |   Tied for 4753rd

JDM LOCK
This user is suspended from posting until 10 years, 5 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 34 minutes from now.
bracket
bracket
  • Predictions:  458  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,738
  • Post Score: 2

02.10.2023 | 4:00 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 8 Winners, 0 Perfect, 230 Points   |   Tied for 4753rd

Rude boy in for a rude awakening
This user is suspended from posting until 10 years, 5 months, 6 days, 20 hours, and 34 minutes from now.
DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,540
  • Post Score: 262

02.10.2023 | 4:16 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Makhachev vs. Volkanovski
Islam Makhachev, SUB, R4
I think Volk has the best standup in UFC history and I think he just so ******* good at fighting, But I learn a long time ago to not go agaist Khabib, Islam and Umar, I don't know how people can stop they're wresling, They're need a Jose aldo level of grappling defence to stop it and I don't think Volk has that skill,

Rodriguez vs. Emmett
Yair Rodriguez, TKO, R2
Unless you think Emmet will wresle, You should take Yair Rodriguez to win, Yair went toe to toe with Max Hollloway turning him into a wresler, I think that make Yair the 2nd best striker in the division behied Volk and Emmet should of lost his last 2 fight to Dan Ige and Calven Katter, Also Yair can take a punch

Brown vs. Maddalena
Jack Della Maddalena, TKO, R2
I see this fight being a good fight because I'm a fan of Randy Brown Standup also, And he also 6 foot 3, But I think JDM will win because for one I think he at least slightly better in every aspect of MMA, And worst case I think he catch Brown in a war because Randy is chinny and Jack has the Andri Arlovski permanent broken nose

Tafa vs. Porter
Parker Porter, DEC
Bum Heavyweight #1 vs Bum Heavyweight #2, 50-50 matchup, Tafa has more power but Porter better, I'm taking Porter because for one I'm not picking a guy who lost to Vanderaa, And #2 I rather just take the dog anyway

Crute vs. Menifield
Jimmy Crute, SUB, R1
I'm on Crute because I still belive in him, I find him fustrating as a fan because he could of won a few of his fight if he use his skill better, Crute is better skilled, But one thing about Menifield is that he Black-splosive and Crute could get caught, It's a dangerous game to play, But Crute has better Kickboxer, Way better grappling, So why shouldn't I pick him as an "tapology underdog"

Pedro vs. Bukauskas
Tyson Pedro, TKO, R1
The can destoying mashine gets another can, Less of a can that Hunsucker and Vilenuva, But still a can

Culibao vs. Baghdasaryan
Melsik Baghdasaryan, DEC
Gonna back the pro kickboxer agaist the brawler because I dount Culibao can wresler him

Rodrigues vs. Ross
Kleydson Rodrigues, TKO, R1
Shanon Ross got dropped like 5 time on contender series and then KO, He's from the Gold Coast the same place i'm from, But I can't have bias and I think he gonna get slept by Rodriguez who a hard stiker

Mullarkey vs. Prado
Jamie Mullarkey, TKO, R2
Prado is dangerous and Mullarky is hittable and has been Ko'd by lightweight Volk and Jalin Turner, But I still think he tough it out and win by 2nd round ko agaist a gassed Prado

Lookboonmee vs. Reed
Loma Lookboonmee, DEC
Being in a fight with Lookboonmee and Lookboonmee has the better wresling doesn't seem like you can win that fight, Lookboonmee is better everywhere, Only reason i'm not more confendent in Loma is because it WMMA

"Quack quack quack"

gliese58i
gliese58i

02.10.2023 | 4:33 PM ET

It's actually astonishing how bad Gianni the Greek is at MMA. Every time I watch tape from Contender Series and I happen to land on a segment where he's giving out his bets he's wrong. I'm sure not literally but it feels almost literally true. I can't recall the last time I paused for a few seconds to hear what his bet was before searching forward to the fight where he was actually right.
Maybe that's the trick? Fail so hard that it becomes an entertainment in and of itself? I certainly wouldn't stop to (re)listen to his segment if he had a middling performance. Can it really be his serious attempts at winning bets? Not even the very bottom of the barrel on Tapology comes close to this failure rate. It's incredible.

* Edited at 02.10.2023, 4:34 PM ET *

Kermit
Kermit
  • Predictions:  1,049  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  579
  • Post Score: 162

02.10.2023 | 4:38 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 3523rd

Favorite pics:

Islam vs Volk
Islam, TKO by Ground & Pound, Round 2
Lets be honest - when Volk called for the LW strap Charles Oliveira was holding it, and whilst he looked good he always looked beatable... Which he was. I honestly thought Volk had a good shot in that fight. But Islam will smush Volk against the cage, get the Dagestani handcuff and ground & pound until the ref stops it.

Yair vs Emmett
Yair, TKO by Head Kick & Ground & Pound, Round 4
Emmett always makes these fights close, but Yair seems to be seriously developing as a fighter and is right in his prime unlike the 37 year old Emmett. The damage he inflicted on Max seems to have hastened Max's decline and he looked great grappling with Ortega. If he can remain patient and not gas throwing the kitchen sink at Emmett early I can see a nice head kick followed by ground & pound finish in round 4. Otherwise it'll be a stinky split decision and Emmett has a habit of winning them :/

Pedro vs Modestas
Pedro, Sub, Round 1
Short notice Modestas who didn't look great against sub-par guys at Cage Warriors won't be able to stop the takedowns of Pedro. I foresee Medestas getting some early success on the feet which encourages Pedro to look for the grappling where has has a huge advantage against the already exposed grappling of Modestas. 4 of Modestas' 5 losses have come via finish. It's a setup for Pedro and he's a can if he fumbles this bag... Which he won't.

Randy Brown vs JDM
JDM, KO, Round 2
Randy has a shot here but JDM is ferocious and I can't forget watching Randy get KO'd from the bottom by the less than spectacular Niko Price. If Randy can get KO'd from the relatively small amount of momentum Niko gained from the bottom position then what's going to happen when JDM is trying to blow his head off for 15 minutes? He's going to sleep against the fence. But I feel like JDM may take him a little more seriously and give him the respect of a round.

Prado vs Mullarkey
Prado, KO, Round 2
Mullarkey is very chinnable and these new prospects have being doing real well as of late. Prado looks good from the tape I've seen, but Mullarkey is getting better. Never the less if Prado doesn't wither under the lights he's got a great chance of chinning an over-confident Mullarkey.

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,540
  • Post Score: 262

02.10.2023 | 5:04 PM ET

I'm pretty sure Jack Della Madelana is still on a 10k-10k contract, That disgusting that Jack only getting paid 20k  to fight as he's really good and bring in a lot of eyeball, Hope he wins and gets on a 100k-100k contract like he's worth should be

* Edited at 02.10.2023, 5:05 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

gliese58i
gliese58i

02.10.2023 | 5:09 PM ET

@Duck

That's what going through the contender series does for you. Great for fighters that don't belong in the UFC as it's their only chance to get in by overperforming for a single fight or defeating another fighter that shouldn't be in the UFC. If you're a potential star it's better to do what Yauregi did and make a name for yourself in another promotion then go directly to the UFC on a 25/25 contract.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,901  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,032
  • Post Score: 88

02.10.2023 | 5:35 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 819th

Shara bullet who got signed by the ufc a few months ago, is on a 50k/50k contract 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

gliese58i
gliese58i

02.10.2023 | 5:45 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

A 10/10 fighter will never compete with someone starting at 50/50 in terms of generating sustainable wealth. Even if they were better at negotiating later on and overall got a higher total payout across their career, assuming a roughly equal career path on both sides. Having money earlier is just worth so much more in terms of investing.

supnavarili
supnavarili
  • Predictions:  75  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  167
  • Post Score: -13

02.10.2023 | 5:58 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 2877th

Weigh in show without DC and Sanko feels wrong.
JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  12,521  |  72.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,515

02.10.2023 | 5:58 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1962nd

keep having this fantasy dream

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

OddSmokerSteve
OddSmokerSteve
  • Predictions:  745  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  136
  • Post Score: -103

02.10.2023 | 5:59 PM ET

Full UFC 284 Picks & Predictions

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 1090th

Who does everyone have winning in the two title fights tomorrow?

Full picks and predictions for those interested: https://oddsmokermma.com/2023/02/10/ufc-284-quick-picks-predictions/

"Check us out for free MMA Picks, Predictions, Analysis, Bets & More"

JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  12,521  |  72.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,515

02.10.2023 | 6:06 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1962nd

its not 10/10 

its 16/16. yall will make up your own numbers to **** on the ufc because yall are braindead and listen to the media

"oh ufc is evil" "pay your fighters". do yall have some type of fetish hahaha

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

Page 45

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Luis Alberto Lopez vs Angelo Leo in the works for Aug. 10
  • Middle Easy : Michael Chandler Opens Up About Doubting Himself After Being Inactive For Too Long, Reveals Gameplan Against Conor McGregor
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Who should Max Holloway fight next after spectacular UFC 300 knockout?
  • MMA Junkie : PFL's Derek Anderson shares graphic injury photo after alleged hit-and-run, out of Cedric Doumbe fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Derek Anderson out of Cedric Doumbe fight after suffering gruesome foot injury
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | What’s Next For Jamahal Hill, Boxer Anthony Sims Jr. Talks What UFC Gets Right
  • Bad Left Hook : Billam-Smith vs Riakporhe rematch official for June 15 in London
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen rejects Daniel Cormier's idea of Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler for UFC 165-pound title
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean Strickland’s head coach explains what he could’ve done better vs. Dricus du Plessis, previews Paulo Costa bout
  • Middle Easy : Justin Gaethje Reflects On His UFC 300 KO Loss To Max Holloway, ‘Ready’ For Return After 6 Months
  • MMA Mania : MMA Fighter Kicks Ring Girl, Gets Jumped By Angry Mob
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway’s point-to-the-canvas UFC 300 moment was deja vu for Ricardo Lamas
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 1
  • MMA Mania : Feet Are Not Supposed To Bend This Way
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry believes a bare-knuckle fight with Conor McGregor really could happen: ‘Conor’s a real one’
  • Jits Magazine : Midwest Finishers 18 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Junkie : Shawne Merriman launches Lights Out Sports app, touts 'milestone' for MMA promotion
  • MMA Mania : Mac’s Skills ‘Not What They Used To Be’ After Layoff
  • MMA Mania : Ankalaev In October? ‘I Want To Fight Sooner’
  • MMA Junkie : Chris Weidman compares Alex Pereira's 'deficiency' in particular skill set to Ben Askren's