Topic: UFC 284

UFC 284: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,925
  • Post Score: 47

10.07.2022 | 11:04 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 284
  • Saturday 02.11.2023 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: RAC Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Dominick Cruz, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Michael Bisping
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $4,086,687
  • Attendance: 14,124
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: N/A | TV Ratings: 1.13M avg. viewers (ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Islam Makhachev   defeats   Alexander Volkanovski   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Yair Rodriguez   defeats   Josh Emmett   via Submission, Triangle Choke   4:19 Round 2 of 5, 9:19 Total Bout Page
Jack Della Maddalena   defeats   Randy Brown   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Justin Tafa   defeats   Parker Porter   via KO/TKO, Counter Left   1:05 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jimmy Crute   vs.   Alonzo Menifield   Ends in a Draw, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Modestas Bukauskas   defeats   Tyson Pedro   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Josh Culibao   defeats   Melsik Baghdasaryan   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:02 Round 2 of 3, 7:02 Total Bout Page
Kleydson Rodrigues   defeats   Shannon Ross   via KO/TKO, Kicks and Punches   0:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jamie Mullarkey   defeats   Francisco Prado   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jack Jenkins   defeats   Don Shainis   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Loma Lookboonmee   defeats   Elise Reed   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   0:44 Round 2 of 3, 5:44 Total Bout Page
Blake Bilder   defeats   Shane Young   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Elves Brener   defeats   Zubaira Tukhugov   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 32

bracket
bracket
  • Predictions:  458  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,738
  • Post Score: 2

02.07.2023 | 4:32 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 8 Winners, 0 Perfect, 230 Points   |   Tied for 4753rd

ISLAM TKO 4TH ROUND
JDM KO 1ST ROUND

THANK ME LATER ... in fact, THANK ME NOW! 

EASY MONEY šŸ¤‘šŸ¤‘šŸ¤‘šŸ¤‘šŸ”šŸ”šŸ”

* Edited at 02.07.2023, 4:32 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 10 years, 5 months, 1 week, 2 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
bracket
bracket

02.07.2023 | 4:33 PM ET

This user is suspended from posting until 10 years, 5 months, 1 week, 2 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
bracket
bracket

02.07.2023 | 4:33 PM ET

TLRulebender
TLRulebender

02.07.2023 | 5:34 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1521st

And now Khamzat is aiming for Rob. You know which card needs this fight? Do I even need to say it?
nvrkc1
nvrkc1
  • Predictions:  42  |  52.4%
  • Forum Posts:  55
  • Post Score: 13

02.07.2023 | 5:59 PM ET

@TLRulebender

Predictions: 0 of 0 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 5281st

They should fight this weekend šŸ¤£ that would set this card over the top
Rah123
Rah123
  • Predictions:  1,239  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,471
  • Post Score: -57

02.07.2023 | 6:14 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 819th

Tbh this card really isn't that good. Could have been much much better. And stupid Paulo Costa is a big part of that. Dumbass

I mean apart from the main even this is a decent Fight Night card at best. 

People on here had a go at me last time for complaining about how the UFC puts on **** cards and rubs their hands together gleefully while watching all of us swallow it down happily. 

Case in point - last card? Horrible. This card? Very average PPV. Next card? Taila Santos vs Blanchfield main event? Are you kidding me? Jordan Wright on the main card? Completely trash fighters on the prelims. Potentially the worst UFC card I've ever seen overall. That's followed by another god awful card with Krylov vs Spann.

This is what we get for allowing the UFC to disrespect us like this.

* Edited at 02.07.2023, 6:29 PM ET *

"Positivity is a positive"

aziahwebster
aziahwebster
  • Predictions:  521  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 0

02.07.2023 | 6:23 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 3068th

Does anyone else not see yair in any of the embedded yet?
baremaras
baremaras
  • Predictions:  3,102  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,757
  • Post Score: -18

02.07.2023 | 6:40 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 2774th

Rodrigues vs. Ross
Kleydson Rodrigues, TKO, R2
this fight to me is pretty straight forward. sadly for the hometown crowd their tough guy hero will be getting absolutely styled on in this matchup and we're most likely going to be witnessing a dominant showcase of talent by Kleydson. for people looking for value in this card, I think both the moneyline and Kleydson inside the distance prop (when it's out) have value on them. might include Kleydson ML in my secondary parlay and Kleydson inside the distance (when it's out) in my third parlay

starting off with Shannon Ross, i'll put it simply. he is NOT a good fighter and was basically gifted his entrance to the UFC. he's your average tough guy fighter with decent cardio, no regards for technique, no regards for gameplanning, no regards for defense while at the same time lacking the durability and chin factor to back it all up.

offensively, Shannon Ross leaves a LOT to be desired. he is at his best when he's the one dictating the pace and pushing onwards and his signature strikes probably boil down to massive overloaded right hooks (or crosses/overhands depending on the distance and situation at hand) that he quite literally throws on repeat, a whipping right kick to the body and at times very timid calf kicks. every now and then, Shannon will show a weird and surprising spark of creativity which leads him to throwing some pretty wild strikes and combinations, namely the left superman punch into the right high kick, the flying knee or the spinning backfist/elbow (very rarely does this actually happen though and even more rarely does it actually succeed). as weird as it sounds, this is pretty much where the good things about Shannon Ross's offense end.

moving on to the weaknesses in Shannon Ross's game (which trust me, they are a LOT), they can pretty much be boiled down to his insane lack of creativity, very troubling striking defense, inability to fight at a reach disadvantage and weakness when it comes to distance management. his lack of creativity is immediately apparent when you realize that he rarely uses his lead hand to further set up his offense, rarely uses feints, his jab (which he again, rarely throws) is only for show and doesn't actually do anything, leading to him non-stop spamming the same telegraphed, slow right hook/overhand. the most egregious thing about his game is that for someone who relies SO much on repeatedly throwing the right hook/overhand, he very blatantly drops his left hand guard when doing so, leaving himself open to counters which leads us to another troubling aspect of his game, his striking defense. every single thing he does and more specifically each time he attemps his signature strikes I mentioned above, he very obviously drops his hands abandoning any sort of defense. he throws the right kick to the body? both hands down and his chin exposed. he overswings his right hook? both hands down and his chin exposed. he throws a calf kick? both hands down and his chin exposed. additionally, he's very vulnerable when it comes to defending leg kicks (this weakness will play a major role in this matchup). lastly, some of his quirks are that he becomes an even worse fighter when he's fighting on his backfoot (which is something he will be doing in this fight) and that leads to all sorts of additional holes in his game. his body and chin become wide open down the middle (very important in this matchup) and whenever he gets rocked and has to fight on isntinct, his circling becomes very predictable towards his right hand side (very important in this match up as well) and he some times blatantly dips his head to the left after missing a badly overthrown hook/overhand.

continuing with Kleydson Rodrigues, he's a flashy striker with an elite variety of kicks, defensively sound boxing for the most part, high output, decent cardio and an unbreakable will to continue fighting. to me, as a striker, he's very reminiscent of Chris Gutierrez and early Conor McGregor (both Kleydson and early Conor mixed the art of capoeira very well into their fighting style). Kleydson might genuinely be one of my favorite young prospects in the UFC along with other elite young strikers like Saaiman, Basharat etc etc.

offensively, Kleydson thrives when he's the one pushing the pace and controlling the octagon. his entire offense builds off of the large variety of kicks he possesses and off of his very tricky feints. when it comes to his kicks, the kicks he usually falls back to are the calf kick, the left high kick, the right kick to the body, the spinning hook kick and the front kick to the body down the middle. concerning his feints, they are heavily influenced by his Muay Thai background. he loves feinting the spin and, specifically, one of his signature feints is similar to the one Charles Oliveira does where he will lift his knee faking the flying knee or the front kick to the mid section in order to get his punches off. additoinally, he has a very slick check left hook, an active clinching game, active bottom guard and a competent wrestling game mainly comprised by body lock takedowns. on a more technical note, kleydson LOVES crowding his opponent and making them circle towards his left hand side (towards his opponents' right hand side - this is going to be key in this matchup). this leads to most of his attacks (check left hook, spinning hook kick and left high kick) being thrown towards that side with a very high success rate.

when it comes to his weaknesses, I won't lie and say there are none but at least the CJ Vergara fight (a fight which I thought he won against a very very underrated opponent) was a very educational experience for him. his fighting ability decreases when he's forced to fight on his back foot and his kicking range is taken away from him but he still remains a very big threat. specifically, his defense showed to be struggling against two specific strikes, the check left hook and the left kicks to the body (two strikes that Shannon Ross doesn't throw). additionally, his wide stance leaves him a bit vulnerable to choppy kicks to the calf but, as of yet, he hasn't shown any particular weakness regarding his lead leg getting chewed up. lastly, his takedown defense could be worked on a bit more but his lacking TDD is made up by very slick bjj on the ground, an active guard and a variety of reversals and sweeps he has in his bag.

time for my prediction and like I said, this is most likely going to be an absolute domination for Kleydson. the few weaknesses that Kleydson has that were exposed in the CJ Vergara fight, Shannon Ross is not nearly good enough to expose (like I said, Shannon Ross just spams the right hook/overhand, a strike that Kleydson is proficient at defending) and at the same time, all the weaknesses that Shannon Ross has shown regionally and against Salvador, Kleydson possesses the exact tools needed to completely take advantage of. if I had to guess how this fight goes, there's 2 scenarios I'm thinking of. either Shannon Ross attempts to walk Kleydson down and make it a brawl but miserably failing, getting caught by massive counter check left hooks in the process and turning into a punching bag until Kleydson walks him into a highlight reel KO (left high kick, spinning hook kick, right uppercut or flying knee) or Shannon Ross doesn't even get to attempt to take away Kleydson's kicking range and simply gets dominated from the start, Kleydson dictates the pace, chops Shannon's leg up with calf kicks, baits Ross into circling towards Kleydson's left hand side and gets walked into a massive check hook, left high kick, spinning hook kick or flying knee. (one aspect of this matchup I didn't mention is the grappling, an area which Kleydson has the advantage in as he could very well use his grappling offensively, I just don't think this outcome is THAT likely since Kleydson is way way better on the feet)

* Edited at 02.07.2023, 8:21 PM ET *

Staha
Staha
  • Predictions:  95  |  69.5%
  • Forum Posts:  192
  • Post Score: 16

02.07.2023 | 6:47 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 7 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 4495th

I want to make a parlay on Rodrigues, Jenkins, islam, tukhugov and Yair but Yairs the only one im not completely sold on I do think hes gonna win this fight but at the same time I don't know I feel like emmet can turn it into an upset 
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 1 week, 3 days, 8 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
Rah123
Rah123

02.07.2023 | 6:52 PM ET

Bananas

Kleydson ITD is one of my big plays along with Zubaira ITD.

Great minds think alike. Suprahuman minds think together.

I enjoyed your breakdown. More please! šŸ‘ šŸ‘ šŸ‘ 

Rah123
Rah123

02.07.2023 | 6:58 PM ET

My best parlay so far

1. Zubaira ITD
2. Makhachev ITD
3. Kleydson ITD
4. Loma
5. Crute/Menifield FNTGD
6. Culibao/Melsik o1.5
7. Jenkins
8. Yair (Hedged with Emmet)

If this does not hit I will be very surprised. Dropping 1K on it

* Edited at 02.07.2023, 6:58 PM ET *

baremaras
baremaras

02.07.2023 | 6:58 PM ET

staha

I think Yair is going to win and the odds look tempting but at the same time there's way too much tape study for that matchup and instinctually I don't feel very confident so I'm going to be skipping that fight all together
Rah123
Rah123

02.07.2023 | 7:00 PM ET

Bananas

I think Yair is the best striker in the division after Volk. And his distance striking game should be too much for Emmet who is slower and basically lost his last 2 fights. Unless Emmet wrestles he is losing this.

paulopasta
paulopasta

02.07.2023 | 7:06 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 600 Points   |   Tied for 87th

@baremaras. Sometimes I find you to be a bit boisterous about your ability in picking fights. But I canā€™t say you donā€™t know how to break them down, keep up the good work
baremaras
baremaras

02.07.2023 | 7:09 PM ET

rah

agreed, only factors that are stopping me from betting on this fight are the endless amount of tape on both of them that would take up too much of my time to go over and the fact that I generally do not feel super duper confident betting on a matchup in which one of the guys has the significant power advantage over the other (in this fight IMO Emmett punches significantly harder, I just don't think he has the skillset required to translate his power into actual flush landed hits against someone like Yair)

* Edited at 02.07.2023, 7:10 PM ET *

Rah123
Rah123

02.07.2023 | 7:19 PM ET

Paulo Pasta

In Bananas case it isn't being boisterous. It's having absolute, McGregor levels of confidence funnelled through the body of a 800lb killer Gorilla. That's how it comes off to humans, but it's actually just sheer confidence in the Gorilla world

Rah123
Rah123

02.07.2023 | 7:21 PM ET

Bananas

I hear you. That's a lot of tape. But I have just started watching the last 3 fights of each fighter in addition to any similar style match ups.

But don't forget we have a OP shortcut now. Mezzor. Wait till he picks Emmet then smash the Yair spot.

Staha
Staha

02.07.2023 | 7:26 PM ET

Baremaras Rah

Yeah I have to agree with both of you imo yair outclasses him but there's always that chance Emmet wrestles him and subs him or something and there's too much tape too many reasons to be uncertain.I think its just the odds calling out to me lol but iwl Rodrigues makes up for my parlay in terms of good odds 
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 1 week, 3 days, 8 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
Rah123
Rah123

02.07.2023 | 7:33 PM ET

Staha

Just do what I did and hedge part of the value. I dropped 1K on the parlay above, and hedged another $300 on Emmet 

Staha
Staha

02.07.2023 | 7:36 PM ET

Rah

Iwel I didn't even know what hedging bets was until just now lol yeah im definitely gon do that appreciate the tip 

Page 32

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Gordon Ryan Says Heā€™s ā€˜Embarrassingly Weakā€™ In Health Update
  • Jits Magazine : Action-Packed Divisions All Round At ADCC Sydney Open 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: And New Super Lightweight Champion?
  • MMA Mania : Nurmagomedov Injured, Bellator Paris Title Fight Paused
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Inks PFL Extension, Returns At Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Rothwell hopes Mark Hunt signing with BKFC materializes, wants rematch that 'brings eyes'
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Banks Big Money After Placing a $2 Million Bet on Himself to Defeat Devin Haney
  • MMA Junkie : Murad Ramazanov lauds Nurmagomedov training discipline for fast start in PFL debut
  • Bad Left Hook : ā€˜This is going to make him a way bigger superstarā€™: Trainer talks Garciaā€™s big win over Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : ā€˜This is going to make him a way bigger superstarā€™: Trainer talks Ryan Garciaā€™s big win over Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ā€˜This Could Be A Career Death Sentenceā€™
  • MMAFighting.com : DC calls for McGregor vs. Chandler to be 165-pound ā€˜super lightweightā€™ title fight
  • MMA Mania : ā€˜Be Prepared To Bleed, Rainbow!ā€™
  • Bad Left Hook : Pitbull Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr, Santa Cruz vs Mares 3 on Crawford undercard
  • Middle Easy : Jamahal Hill Says He ā€˜Took No Damageā€™ Against Alex Pereira, Plans To Take Out ā€˜Frustrationsā€™ Against Khalil Rountree Jr
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall's MMA debut opponent revealed as full 2024 PFL Europe 2 lineup announced
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Shuts Down Chances Of Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler Fighting For Proposed 165-Pound Title
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC owners at Triller acquired by Hong Kong-based finance company in $4 billion merger
  • MMA Junkie : The Ryan Garcia show is ready to take off after upset of Devin Haney | Opinion
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall ā€˜Would Be In Troubleā€™ Against Someone Like Velasquez