Topic: UFC Fight Night

fight breakdowns: part 1

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,520  |  67.5%
  • Forum Posts:  31,639
  • Post Score: 87

07.09.2022 | 1:56 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 874th

Aiemann Zahabi vs Ricky Turcios 

Zahabi DEC 

I was originally on the rikcy side, but after rewatching the tuf finals, noooooo way i can side with him. Ricky is fun dont get me wrong but man he is not good. He has unlimited cardio which is nice but thats about all; he relies way too much on his chin and while he is aggressive and lands a lot, he can compromise himself like we saw in the mana fight. His grappling is okay too, as he was hitting some nice scrambles but, he isnt really content to stay in whatever position he ends up on so if he gets your back or gets on top, its pretty easy to buck him off. His tdd is really **** too, heistand was taking him down at will. On the feet, i probably have to give the advantage to ricky, as he just throws more and is in your face, but aiemann surprisingly carries some good power. Aiemann will throw in bursts when he either hurts his opponent or gets close to them so we could see him brawl as well. However, his best path to victory is to grapple. AIemann is a pretty damn good grappler, much better than ricky so i think hes going to mainly win this one on the mat. I want to say he could maybe get a sub, but i think a decision is more likely. I dont like the age and lack of cage time for aiemann, but ricky is not a world beater by any means. 

Antonina Shevchenko vs Courtney casey 

Shevchenko DEC 

So i get why everyone is on courtney but is this really the spot to fade antonina? Dont get me wrong, she sucks, but this is a mega favorable matchup for her. Casey is a brawler with (somehow) worse takedown defense than antonina. She also has a total of three takedowns in the ufc, so its not really part of her gameplan to do so. I think when her opponent isnt trying to take her down, antonina should pretty much cruise on the feet. Shes not a god, but her striking is definitely above average for girls. Honestly, I think antonina may be the one to shoot for takedowns, as weve seen her do that before to girls with no tdd (like ariane Lipski). She is nothing short of terrible on the ground but, she does have something to offer when she is the one engaging. She will occasionally attack submissons from the bottom (as will casey sometimes) and she does like to put girls into crucifix on the ground (lipski and o’neill for example). Basically, this fight can be summed up by whoever shoots takedowns first wins the fight. If it stays standing, I favor antonina’s striking. She could very easily lose this but i dont see it happening. 

Cody Brundage vs Tresean Gore 

Gore KO RD 2 

So this one, like kennedy vs karl, is also suuuuuper greasy. On paper, this looks like it should be cody all day; he has more experience, a well rounded skillset, and trains at a good gym. However, once you watch him, you can see hes just about as green as gore. Cody is far from the worst fighter in the world, but he shouldnt be in the ufc, neither should gore for that matter but here we are anyways. Now this is simple, on the feet, its gore all day and on the ground its cody all day. Cody is just a liability on the feet. His striking is not very good and he keeps his hands soooooo low that hes just begging to be koed. He also throws no volume on the feet. When i was rewatching gore’s debut, he really didnt look as bad as i remembered, just super green. His technique was fine and he actually clipped battle a few times in the fight, but what cost him was the lack of volume. Here however, he should be fine as cody is an open target, and not a good striker at all. Now the interesting part is his wrestling; gore has pretty much no ground game but he showcased some pretty good tdd and grappling throughout the fight. Well, i shouldnt say the grappling was pretty good, but it was manageable. Cody’s easiest path to victory is to wrestle but i think he might actually have some trouble getting it to the mat. As i said, gore seems to have pretty good tdd and cody just doesnt excel in getting to the mat. He also has this really bad habit of leaving his chin exposed when going for takedowns; its how he got koed against william knight, and dalcha almost koed him the same way, as he got hurt shooting and almost finished. Speaking of that fight, cody was super lucky there as he was getting his **** kicked in, and then dalcha was ******** enough to shoot for a takedown and get tapped out. Now, i shouldnt assume, but im sure gore isnt that ******* stupid, plus, takedowns arent part of his game so he should be fine. I know gore doesnt carry a ton of power either, but cody is just begging to get koed with how low his hands are, and gore is objectively the better striker. I say all this, but then again hes so green cody could just sub him with ease. 

David Onama vs Garrett Armfield 

Onama KO RD 1 

I absolutely love this fight. Its a shame garrett has to make his debut against this monster, up a weight class, but at least hes in the ufc; hes a prospect i rate pretty highly. Hes not a world beater or anything, but he trains at a good camp and has pretty much no holes from what i can see on tape. He started out as a wrestler, and hes got fantastic tdd from what ive seen and a great scrambling ability as well. He could potentially use that as a path to victory as we did see onama’s tdd isnt the greatest. Now, that could be because mason jones is just really good everywhere (probably true), or because his tdd isnt that good, idk. Either way, hes not winning on the feet so his best bet is to wrestle. Being undersized, i dont think hes gonna have a ton of success tho. Dont get me wrong tho, his striking is pretty damn good too, but again, hes just facing a different animal in here. He has a sharp jab, lots of power, good combinations and volume, and picks his shots well. For Onama, hes just an all action brawler. He takes a hit to give multiple hits, but it works well for him. Hes ultra fast, hits super hard, and never, ever, stops throwing. His cardio is insane too and he fights like a vet; this was shown in his ability to panic wrestle until he fully recovered after being hurt against jones and benitez. Now, yes, he is getting hurt in all of his fights, and thats something to account for as he moves up the ranks, but i dont think its gonna be much of a problem here. This should be a banger for as long as it lasts. 

Kennedy Nzecheckwu vs Karl Roberson 

Roberson DEC 

I have been so back and forth with this one that i just dont know. Both these guys blow, and both these guys are so inconsistent that it makes picking a winner impossible. For kennedy, you have a guy with all the physical talent in the world, but a mental inhibitor that prevents him from reaching his potential. With Roberson, you have a guy who looks talented, but has no fight iq and struggles with grapplers. Luckily, hes not facing one here, but i do worry how he is going to deal with the size advantage here. I think roberson is actually the far better striker, but he tends to make lots of mistakes and guys with bad fight iq fighting people with a massive size advantage is just a bad mix. He has switched to glory mma, so im sure krause has a good game plan, just will karl implement it is the question. Kennedy is just a mixed bag when it comes to everything. He is probably the slowest starter in mma and he just seems scared to be in there. He doesnt like to get hit, and he doesnt throw much volume (with the exception being the ulberg fight). I question his chin too, as he has tall mans defense, so he doesnt protect himself all that well. Ive seen him hurt a bunch of times as well but the worst performance was against da un jung. He just got spammed to death by elbows and they didnt even look like they were fully landing, yet he went out cold, so that was weird. I also thought kennedy won his last fight, but he didnt do himself any favors by not letting his hands go when he needed too. Then, you look at robersons L streak and hes only losing to good fighters (rountree is good when he shows up, and oh boy did he show up against roberson). All of those guys with the exception of rountree, are grapplers, and pretty damn good ones at that. Now, zero confidence in roberson, and honestly im going to regret picking him on saturday, but i think he is the better of the two fighters, in terms of skill. However, he may just get ktfo because of kennedy’s size, all depends how kennedy shows up. 

Ronnie Lawrence vs Saidyokub Kahkramanov 

Kahkrahamnov KO RD 3 

This is such a fantastic fight its a shame its so low on the card; both guys could really use a showcase because they are both fantastic prospects. Watching tape, it was really hard to find holes in either ones game. Both guys are so well versed in striking and grappling that it makes it hard to pick, however, the one hole i found in ronnie is his chin is not that great. Hes a great striker, constantly moving around and giving different looks like spinning backfists and kicks. However, one thing i don't like from him is the lack of head movement. It kind of gets hidden by his constant movement, but his head is ALWAYS on the center line. This was shown in the martinez fight where he got clipped badly and almost finished. Now, he was able to get out of trouble because yknow, hes a fantastic fighter, but i dont like that here against said. Said has fantastic striking. He throws with lots of power and mixes it up really well. I think an underrated aspect of his game is his wrestling. Now, we saw him controlled and taken down by trevin jones, but he was able to negate it for the most part. Hes going to have trouble with the chain wrestling of lawrence, but said’s tdd and wrestling is no joke in its own right. He really knows what hes doing and if you watch the umar fight, he did a great job of keeping the fight on the feet. When he does get taken down, he can scramble back up, but a dominant wrestler (like ronnie is) could keep him down there for a while. However, I think said has the capability to keep the fight where he wants, and with that power, i think he will find ronnie’s chin. I really dont like the lack of head movement and i think it could cost him here.

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 07.09.2022 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UFC APEX
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Brendan Fitzgerald, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Joe Martinez
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Michael Bisping
  • TV Ratings: 762,000 avg. viewers (548k ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Rafael Fiziev   defeats   Rafael dos Anjos   via KO/TKO, Left Hook   0:18 Round 5 of 5, 20:18 Total Bout Page
Caio Borralho   defeats   Armen Petrosyan   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Said Nurmagomedov   defeats   Douglas Silva de Andrade   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Chase Sherman   defeats   Jared Vanderaa   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:10 Round 3 of 3, 13:10 Total Bout Page
Aiemann Zahabi   defeats   Ricky Turcios   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jamie Mullarkey   defeats   Michael Johnson   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Cody Brundage   defeats   Tresean Gore   via KO/TKO, Overhand Right to Ground Strikes   3:50 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Antonina Shevchenko   defeats   Cortney Casey   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
David Onama   defeats   Garrett Armfield   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   3:13 Round 2 of 3, 8:13 Total Bout Page
Kennedy Nzechukwu   defeats   Karl Roberson   via KO/TKO, Elbows From Back Mount   2:19 Round 3 of 3, 12:19 Total Bout Page
Saidyokub Kakhramonov   defeats   Ronnie Lawrence   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,520  |  67.5%
  • Forum Posts:  31,639
  • Post Score: 87

07.09.2022 | 1:56 AM ET

part 2

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 874th

RDA vs Fiziev 

Fiziev KO RD 3 

I want RDA to win but honestly after watching tape Ive switched the pick. I know RDA has one of the best chins of all time, but he has had a very long career. He looked amazing vs moicano and felder but with both having no game plan it is a little concerning. Fiziev is one of the best if not the best striker in mma so its going to be hard for RDA to implement his aggressive, in-your-face style because Fiziev can either attack him on the backfoot, or lure him in with feints and catch him. I also was sure RDA would wrestle and take him down, but his accuracy actually isnt all that good; going a combined 11/37 and a 39% accuracy overall. Now sure, hes getting a lot of takedowns, but most are being defended and fiziev has shown good takedown defense thus far. Obviously, it hasnt been tested (and will be tested here) but just saying, RDA isnt the greatest wrestler, he just spams a lot of attempts. I do worry about fizievs cardio, but it all depends on the pace. With RDA’s pressure and fighting style, we could see him gas out fiziev. I think it will be a good test but i think fizievs striking will make the difference here.

Caio Borralho vs Armen Petrosyan 

Borralho SUB RD 2 

I think this is one of the best fights on the card. However, I think its gonna be another beatdown from caio; this dude is soooo talented. He fights in a karate like stance and doesnt throw the highest volume, but he picks his shots very well and hits hard. I especially like how he uses a flying knee as a counter shot, i think its very tricky to plan for. His bjj and wrestling also looked phenomenal in his debut fight. Now, he was fighting a total fraud, but he still looked amazing; even though gadzhi is clearly terrible, you dont dominate someone like that unless you are seriously skilled. Petrosyan is also quite impressive (although i didnt think he won his debut) however, i dont think he will have an answer to caio’s ground game. Petrosyan is a fantastic kickboxer; tons of leg kicks, loads of power, and very high volume on the feet. He also showed a lot more of his skill set against rodrigues. He showed that his cardio is fine, his chin is pretty damn good, and he survived some fight ending sub attempts from gregory as well. However, the biggest hole in his game is his tdd. He has a good get up game from what ive seen, but he hasnt faced someone like caio who can control you on the ground. Sure, gregory has high level bjj but for some reason he just doesnt give a **** abiout controlling you on the ground. Caio showed a nasty body triangle and great control on the ground. I think he can beat armen in the stand up, but i think a submission win is how this one plays out. 

Said Nurmagomedov vs Douglas Silva de Andrade 

Said KO RD 1 

After the cody fight, i can never fade said again. He looked so unimpressive against scoggins and barcelos that i thought he was just an overhyped fraud but nope, hes pretty damn good. He doesnt fight like any dagestani, opting to strike on the feet. He looooves spin kicks, as he throws them at lightning fast speed and without telegraphing them. Its one of his main weapons, but hes not sloppy with it to the point that it becomes readable. Hes also a weird case because he came to the ufc with mostly decisions, and now in the ufc he is just flatlining people left and right. He carries a ton of power and in his last fight, he showed off a deadly submission game and from tape ive seen outside the ufc, he can defend takedowns pretty well and has a good sambo background (of course he does lol). D silva is a tough ass vet, he hits super ******* hard and really showcased that in his last fight. Despite winning that one, he was getting the **** kicked out of him and i think thats likely whats gonna happen here. Said doesnt leave his chin up like morozov does and i think hes the better striker overall; hes always moving and giving different looks, not leaving his head on teh center line like morozov does. I doubt he will, but he can also grapple d silva if he wants to. 

Jared Vanderaa vs Chase Sherman 

Vanderaa DEC 

This is another one thats super low level, but im confident in the favorite. I just cannot pick chase sherman ever; he is so ******* bad. Hes 3-9 through three ufc tenures and got gifted this third one by taking a short notice fight (strictly for a paycheck i might add). Vanderaa is **** too, but he is jsut better. He has bad fight iq and no tdd, but he has a great chin and great cardio for a fat guy, so thats enough to beat the bottom of the barrel. Chase has pretty much jsut given up on his record and trying to win fights and is now fighting for paychecks (the ufc boosted his pay for taking the romanov fight). Ever since he lost to andrei arlovski, hes pretty much just stopped trying to win fights. He has no heart, no gas tank, no power, no grappling, has looked terrible since he popped for roids, and no desire to actually win the fight. Vanderaa would have to royally **** up to somehow lose this fight. He is really ******* bad but i dont think hes chase sherman levels of bad. Also, it would be insane to see, but vanderaa is (somehow) a black belt so i think it would be funny to see him use the jake collier strategy to beat chase. 

Cynthia Calvillo vs Nina Nunes 

Nunes DEC 

I didnt watch tape on this one but im pretty confident in nunes here. Well, i shouldnt say pretty confident but i think she wants the win more than calvillo does. Neither girl’s heart is really in the sport anymore and this is pretty much loser goes home so it depends who wants the win more. Nunes is coming up to a different weight class for the first time and is coming off of a 2 L streak and having a child where calvillo also came up from 115 and has been 0-3 since moving up. I just cant side with her here because she has looked soooooooo bad. Getting outclassed by chook and koed by andrade arent necessarily the worst losses in the world but then she was also getting outclassed against andrea lee and just straight up quit on the stool. Thats why i cant back her here; she wasnt severely injured and she was losing, but it wasnt this 10-8 domination yet she just gave up. Nunes is the pick and will remain the pick. 

Michael Johnson vs Jamie Mullarkey 

Mullarkey KO RD 2 

Im pretty shocked at the love MJ is getting on tapology. I love me some mj too but i really dont see how he wins this one at all. Sure, he may have broken the mental block he talked about having, but hes still just not that good. Granted, you flip a coin before he fights and hes either the worst fighter on the roster, or the best and theres no inbetween. His hands are super sharp and he hits pretty hard, but his stance is so weird and flat footed. As hes aged, he gets hit a good amount and i dont think his chin is as good as it used to be. His tdd is pretty solid but once you get him down once, he kind of quits. He also somehow, in 38 pro fights, has still not developed any ground game whatsoever; hes just lost once he gets taken down. This should just be mullarkey all day. Hes super aggressive and hits very hard. He can take a shot too; now, his chin gets cracked once the damage adds up, but he can withstand a serious amount of punishment before his chin gives out. Even with the hand speed of MJ, I just dont see him cracking the chin at all. Theres also the wrestling of millarkey; he is a decent wrestler and even though MJ has good tdd, with enough attempts he can get him down with ease and control him there. Mullarkey is likely gonna strike tho and being the younger fighter, i think hes gonna maul MJ and get a finish. 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Coach counters Daniel Cormier’s Islam Makhachev claim, says ‘nobody is more dangerous’ than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 305 lands in Perth, Australia on Aug. 17
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC Saudi Arabia Fight Card, ABC Lineup
  • MMA Mania : Never Mind! Colby Won’t Fight Down For Garry
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Star Jack Della Maddalena Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Main Event For UFC Saudi Arabia On June 22
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Saudia Arabia fight card announced with Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headliner
  • MMA Mania : Khamzat Vs Whittaker Headlines UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : Khamzat Chimaev vs. Robert Whittaker set as UFC Saudi Arabia main event, 4 more fights announced
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Sandman Sees Suga Stop The Machine
  • UFC.com : UFC And Tourism WA Announce Multiyear Deal To Bring Two Action-Packed MMA Events To Perth
  • MMA Mania : UFC Atlantic City Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC free fight: Charles Oliveira rallies to light up Michael Chandler for first title win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Are We Fighting Or What?!’
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez disagrees with Daniel Cormier's claim that Islam Makhachev more dangerous than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Junkie : Cory Sandhagen: UFC champ Sean O'Malley has 'really good shot' of finishing Merab Dvalishvili
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘A win and a knockout’: Wardley prepared to put on a show against Clarke
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘A win and a knockout’: Fabio Wardley prepared to put on a show against Frazer Clarke
  • MMA Mania : Eblen ‘Blows Through’ Adesanya, Reaches Strickland In MMA March Madness
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC on ESPN 54's Vicente Luque accepted dangerous Joaquin Buckley replacement