Tapology Forums

A weird realization at middleweight...

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

MMARanks
MMARanks
  • Predictions:  582  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  196
  • Post Score: 135

05.18.2022 | 9:35 PM ET

Three of the fighters on the top 10 consensus at middleweight have lost more fights than they have won in the last 3 years.

It gets worse... none of their victories have come over anyone who has more wins than losses in that same 3-year timeframe.

Is there a black hole vortex at middleweight?

We have unsuccessful people who are only beating other unsuccessful people being regarded as the best there is.

Is it time for an infusion of new blood to challenge this division and break up the merry-go-round?

"Facts > Feelings"

Responses

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,544
  • Post Score: 262

05.18.2022 | 11:19 PM ET

I'll say more information need to be givin, Just say fighter A is 2-3 since 2019, But his lost to Izzy, Rob and Vettori, And Beat Costa and Cannonor, He shouldn't be drop from the top 10, As that clearly better then going 5-0 against cans, Or even mid fighter

But looking at ranking, I think Till and Gastulum shouldn't be top 10 anymore, How many time you got to lose before you not in the top 10 anymore, Kelvin is a approcing a Sam Alvey win-lost streak, And How is Vettori is 13, He should be like 3 in all honesty

* Edited at 05.18.2022, 11:20 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

05.19.2022 | 12:58 AM ET

The middleweight division definitely needs new blood. There are good middleweight fights coming up. 

Du Plessis vs. Tavares
Curtis vs. Vieira
Chidi vs. Todorovic
Marques vs. Rodrigues

And the two biggest ones: 
Whittaker vs. Vettori
Mousasi vs  Eblen

After these fights, we might have a few new faces ranked higher. 
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

05.19.2022 | 6:38 AM ET

Yeah it comes and goes.... Bantamweight was dead for years, just several top guys rotating around, now its a meat grinder

* Edited at 05.19.2022, 6:39 AM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

MMARanks
MMARanks

05.19.2022 | 4:20 PM ET

To be more specific, we're talking:
Hermansson, Till, and Gastelum being a combined 4W-9L in the last 3 years, (none of them have a winning record), and those 4 wins came against opponents who are a combined 6W-15L in the last 3 years,  (and none of those opponents have a winning record).

Between Hermansson and Till there are only 3 wins and two of them are against Gastelum  haha.

It's a house of cards... a merry-go-'round... a circular vortex being propped up by the idea that Kevin Gastelum with just one decision win over Ian Heinisch in the last 4 years means he is top 10.

Props to the UFC PR machine for keeping this dream alive.

To me, even if you're losing to good competition, it's still a small step backward.  When all you have are small steps backward, isn't it OK to put someone with a bunch of small steps forward ahead of them?

If someone like Caio Borralho has 7 steps forward and zero losses, beating 7 opponents who have a combined winning record in the last few years, how can that be less-valued than Gastelum's 1 win over a losing record, and 4 small steps back in losses?

I'm guessing the simple answer is because the UFC broadcast tells us that's what we're supposed to believe?

Barralho = 7 wins over opponents who are 15-13 in the last 3 years at MW
Jack/Darren/Kelvin = 4 wins combined over opponents who are 6-15 in the last 3 years at MW.

Three guys are top 10, and one is not.  It just seems weird.

OK, I'll go back under a rock now.  :)

"Facts > Feelings"

Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

05.19.2022 | 5:46 PM ET

This is true. I think any sort of rankings, including the official UFC rankings, take into account how much star value or eyeballs they bring to a fight. This has to be the only answer as to why those three fighters are still ranked as high as they are.
Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

05.19.2022 | 5:52 PM ET

If Muniz defeats Hall, he should move to #7 in the UFC rankings above those three. I would also move the winner of Tavares/du Plessis above them.
MMARanks
MMARanks

05.19.2022 | 7:05 PM ET

Being realistic, I think it's going to take someone off the list beating those guys directly in order to get them off the rankings, which I'm somewhat OK with.

The question then becomes, when are they gonna stop matching this circle together, and when are they going to put those guys in the 16-20 range against the top 15?

But no... we have to deal with Till vs. Hermansson next, so this just gets worse.  LOL  

* Edited at 05.19.2022, 9:37 PM ET *

"Facts > Feelings"

MMARanks
MMARanks

05.19.2022 | 7:16 PM ET

Muniz vs Hall, I can totally live with.  A higher-ranked guy coming off a loss fighting a lower-ranked guy coming off a win.

That's perfect in my books.

The Till vs Hermansson match sucks.  They should both be fighting down the list to make or break their life on the top 10. (versus the likes of Imavov, Tavares, Curtis, Barralho, ...)

"Facts > Feelings"

Taybazza04
Taybazza04
  • Predictions:  19,235  |  68.1%
  • Forum Posts:  4,988
  • Post Score: 128

05.19.2022 | 9:15 PM ET

Borralho needs a few more fights he’s very good tho 
MMARanks
MMARanks

05.19.2022 | 9:48 PM ET

@ Taybazz

I totally get where you're coming from on Borralho being viewed as needing more fights, but isn't it weird that this is normal?

I mean, since May 2019, Barralho has almost double the number of wins as Hermansson/Till/Gastelum COMBINED... and it's not like any of those three have any wins against a good recent record either.

I mean, Jeebus...  Borralho has recently handed 3 fighters their first loss ever.

"Facts > Feelings"

Taybazza04
Taybazza04

05.19.2022 | 10:25 PM ET

I agree borralho is amazing I cashed in on him vs gadzhi too man he’s gonna be a big prospect also went to a decision in grappling match with jailton that’s super impressive can’t wait to see him vs petrosyan

Till, hermansson and gastelum r all on terrible runs in last 5 they’re 1-4, 2-3 and 1-4, they’ve made hermansson vs till cuz till is a star and they wanna try revive his career lol and they tried to make imavov and di plessiss vs gastelum tbf
MMARanks
MMARanks

05.20.2022 | 10:23 PM ET

Hot damn.  Gastelum has gone up 3 spots on the consensus rankings since last week?

How?  Why?  Madness!  May god have mercy on your souls.  haha.

"Facts > Feelings"

Taybazza04
Taybazza04

05.21.2022 | 4:03 AM ET

😂 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings