Topic: UFC 279

UFC 279: Diaz vs. Ferguson

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,954
  • Post Score: 47

05.17.2022 | 4:08 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 279
  • Saturday 09.10.2022 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $5,670,272
  • Attendance: 19,125
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Nate Diaz   defeats   Tony Ferguson   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   2:52 Round 4 of 5, 17:52 Total Bout Page
Khamzat Chimaev   defeats   Kevin Holland   via Submission, D'arce Choke   2:13 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Daniel Rodriguez   defeats   Jingliang Li   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Irene Aldana   defeats   Macy Chiasson   via KO/TKO, Upkick to the Liver   2:21 Round 3 of 3, 12:21 Total Bout Page
Johnny Walker   defeats   Ion Cutelaba   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:37 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Julian Erosa   defeats   Hakeem Dawodu   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jailton Almeida   defeats   Anton Turkalj   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:27 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Denis Tiuliulin   defeats   Jamie Pickett   via KO/TKO, Knee to Ground Strikes   4:52 Round 2 of 3, 9:52 Total Bout Page
Chris Barnett   defeats   Jake Collier   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   2:24 Round 2 of 3, 7:24 Total Bout Page
Norma Dumont   defeats   Danyelle Wolf   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alatengheili Alateng   defeats   Chad Anheliger   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Elise Reed   defeats   Melissa Martinez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Yohan Lainesse   defeats   Darian Weeks   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 26

ModestMan
ModestMan
  • Predictions:  543  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,870
  • Post Score: 116

09.05.2022 | 4:48 PM ET

RustyTennakoon

Predictions: 1 of 3 Winners, 0 Perfect, 50 Points   |   Tied for 4820th

I agree, this card is tough to make picks on. The only solid picks I can come up with is Chimaev, Dumont, and maybe Barnett. Other than those 3 I can't decide. If I had to bet my house on someone for this card it would only be Chimaev

"WMMA = 50/50 no matter the odds"

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,816
  • Post Score: 141

09.05.2022 | 5:01 PM ET

Mod

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 3149th

Yup I agree. Though I have some confidence in Alatang, Almeida, Collier and Aldana the odds are horrible and the rest of the card is really tough to pick.
DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,542
  • Post Score: 262

09.05.2022 | 5:14 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1681st

I'm confident in Khamzat, Leach, Aldana, Cutelaba, Dawudu, Almeda, Dumont and Colier, 

It's seem very favorite heavy, But people are disagreing with me, So maybe i'm just wrong and i'm just stupid

* Edited at 09.05.2022, 5:22 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  12,530  |  72.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,515
  • Post Score: 13

09.05.2022 | 5:28 PM ET

modest

Predictions: 11 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 665 Points   |   Tied for 90th

barnett?

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

JReynolds47
JReynolds47

09.05.2022 | 5:31 PM ET

im confident with a lot on this card

only ones that im not

walker, martinez/reed(never seen martinez in my life), lainesse?, tiuliulin?

JReynolds47
JReynolds47

09.05.2022 | 5:34 PM ET

if martinez a striker and isnt elite then i say reed wins.

i like yohan to win but the issue is hes a little ko reliant and his opponent has very good durability

denis is ok, walks forward, gets up, wants to be there. just not sure if hes good enough to beat a jobber like pickett

Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

09.05.2022 | 5:44 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 3521st

@duck I don’t think Tony Ferguson spars anymore so at least he isn’t getting hit in the face as much.  
gwinCLARKE2019
gwinCLARKE2019
  • Predictions:  1,399  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,038
  • Post Score: 215

09.05.2022 | 6:12 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 3440th

Holland vs. Rodriguez
Kevin Holland, DEC
Tough fight to predict. I'll take Holland because he's on a hot streak and looks like he's at home at Welterweight. I do not believe there will be a finish. Both fighters are durable.

Dawodu vs. Erosa
Julian Erosa, SUB, R2
Was originally gonna go with Dawodu because Erosa is hittable, but Erosa has won four of his last five and all four are quality wins. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I don't think Dawodu has had the same quality wins that Erosa has recently. And his TDD, while not terrible, is not good enough for me to believe he can keep this fight off of the mat for fifteen minutes.

Almeida vs. Turkalj
Jailton Almeida, SUB, R1
Lock.

Pickett vs. Tiuliulin
Denis Tiuliulin, TKO, R1
I suspect Tiuliulin is better than his lone UFC loss. Nothing impresses me about Pickett.

Collier vs. Barnett
Jake Collier, TKO, R1
Collier is more well rounded. He looked pretty decent against Arlovski. Has Barnett's TDD ever been tested?

Weeks vs. Lainesse
Darian Weeks, DEC
Weeks is better than his losses indicate and will be fighting to stay in the UFC. If Lainesse can't flatline him early he loses.

"This guy is too old to say this kind of ********."

Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

09.05.2022 | 6:17 PM ET

Jake Collier

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 3521st

Collier could easily be on a three fight winning streak, some think he beat Arlovski and Barnett. 

Both guys are durable so it should be a good fight!

*Carlos Felipe not Barnett

* Edited at 09.05.2022, 9:06 PM ET *

TheDeanofMean
TheDeanofMean
  • Predictions:  274  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  295
  • Post Score: 166

09.05.2022 | 6:30 PM ET

Tony v Jingliang

Predictions: 5 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 4048th

I respect Tony fans remaining as loyal as the have despite his fall from grace, I honestly don’t think he stands a chance. 

Be real with me here, ignore his previous accomplishments and look at this matchup objectively: What does Tony have that would be a threat for Li?

His standup? Li just knocked out a literal shaolin monk with 300 Sanda fights, and his chin is only getting more frail by the day, especially with how insanely reckless he is during sparring (Sean Strickland said on Twitter Tony was pissed at Reymond Daniels for holding back his spinning back kick during sparring, so he insisted Daniels go through with the kick. He did.)

His grappling? Tony never uses his Jiujitsu unless he’s the one being taken to the ground. He’s a ******* madlad and while that’s part of what makes him entertaining, it’s also what has been forcing him down a four fight losing streak. While it’s possible Tony could get the better of him in the grappling, it doesn’t matter if he refuses to engage with his grappling in the first place. 

His experience? lmao, give me a ******* break.

Hope you guys wrote your eulogies cause this is gonna be a funeral. 

"Who the **** is Keith?"

andygonzalezmma
andygonzalezmma
  • Predictions:  41  |  78.0%
  • Forum Posts:  130
  • Post Score: -38

09.05.2022 | 6:41 PM ET

Hard card to predict?? All of you are tripping, the only coin flip fight here is Walker vs Cutelaba by obvious reasons... The rest are pretty obvious fights.
This user is suspended from posting until 5 months, 6 days, 19 hours, and 37 minutes from now.
Asskickryu
Asskickryu
  • Predictions:  728  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  78
  • Post Score: 29

09.05.2022 | 8:52 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 3614th

Chimaev vs. Diaz
Khamzat Chimaev, SUB, R1
Easy pick

Li vs. Ferguson
Jingliang Li, TKO, R1
Li by brutal ko

Holland vs. Rodriguez
Kevin Holland, TKO, R1
Close fight but Holland will got it

Walker vs. Cutelaba
Johnny Walker, TKO, R1
Walker has no chin but Cutelaba has no brain

Almeida vs. Turkalj
Jailton Almeida, SUB, R1
Almeida demolish

LuckyTim
LuckyTim
  • Predictions:  217  |  57.1%
  • Forum Posts:  23
  • Post Score: -48

09.05.2022 | 8:57 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 3 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 205 Points   |   Tied for 4462nd

Li vs. Ferguson
Tony Ferguson, DEC
i know ferguson is old, washed and probably losing his chin. but how does leech win this fight if he doesnt find a ko? ny just got KO.d by chandler 3 months agos. he didnt give himself enough time to really recover. but its not like hes just going to go into this cage and fold like Gustafson did. tony won the first round aginst chandler on all 3 judges scorecards. his ground game is dangerous and his striking shosuld still be respected. can leech win by KO? yes. but what if he doesn't get a ko? i dont thin leech has the tools to win a decision.

Holland vs. Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez, TKO, R3
rodriguez is just too technical for holland. just avoid the ground and he should win this easy. holland was getting tee'd off on by alex oliveria. its easy to be a favorite coming off a win from 40 year old tim means

Aldana vs. Chiasson
Macy Chiasson, DEC
im just fading tapology with this

Walker vs. Cutelaba
Johnny Walker, TKO, R2
i think johnny walker is better than the internet can suggest. ion is just so stupid. i wont bet on him ever again. johnny might get taken down and held down a million times. or johnny lets his hands go and knocks this clown out. 50/50 coin flip

Dawodu vs. Erosa
Hakeem Dawodu, TKO, R2
erosa is too crazy. his activity is going to give dawodu that opening shot/

Pickett vs. Tiuliulin
Denis Tiuliulin, TKO, R3
tiuliulin will get this ko bc pickett doesnt apply the presasure that usually makes tiuliulin fold.

Collier vs. Barnett
Jake Collier, DEC
collier is simply jus better.

Dumont vs. Wolf
Danyelle Wolf, DEC
i feel like norma should win this fight easily but i dont know. she had trouble with the range of macy whos the same height as danyelle and danyelle is already the much better striker. danyelles almost 40 tho and shes had some injuries to slow down her debut. but if she comes in with some takedown defense can she 100% win this fight. just dont know. age + injuries + path to defeat. gotta stay away. but norma can just go into this fight and have trouble closing the distance like she did againstg macy and then just clinch.

Anheliger vs. Alateng
Heili Alateng, DEC
im not liking chad's age and level of competition here. i see him slowing down in the 3rd for a decision loss

Reed vs. Martinez
Elise Reed, DEC
low confidence pick coin flip

Weeks vs. Lainesse
Darian Weeks, TKO, R3
darian weeks lost 2 decisions to 2 completely different fighters. so hard to predict how this fight is going to go. yohan showed some good signs of life against green before he gassed out chasing a finish. i think that loss was good for him. one of those humbling experiences. but i dont know if yohans power punching style can earn him a decision win. im sure h can find his Ko win but if darian weeks isnt here to get ko'd then i dont know if yohan can win all 3 rounds so ill go with weeks.

CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,389  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,968
  • Post Score: 172

09.05.2022 | 9:27 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 445 Points   |   Tied for 2037th

Li vs. Ferguson
Jingliang Li, TKO, R1
deep down I hope Tony saw something we don't because idk why he'd take this fight. he's going to have to wrestle and do it well, otherwise if he stands with Li he's getting KO'd, the boxing is much more crisp on Li's side imo

Holland vs. Rodriguez
Kevin Holland, TKO, R2
I think Holland is a bit more sharp and his ground game is better to fall back on. But if D-Rod hit him clean a few times it'll be a wrap.

Walker vs. Cutelaba
Ion Cutelaba, TKO, R1
despite Tony Ferguson and Nate Diaz fighting above them, this might actually end up being the most crazy/chaotic fight on the card lol

"🏴 No Quarter Given 🏴"

gwinCLARKE2019
gwinCLARKE2019
  • Predictions:  1,399  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,038
  • Post Score: 215

09.05.2022 | 9:27 PM ET

@Lucky Tim

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 3440th

Not trying to be rude but I don't understand the logic behind your Tony pick. Why would Leech, who's last four victories are by KO/TKO, have a problem KO'ing a guy who had his brain rattled back in May? And why would a guy who has been competing in MMA since 2007 and has five decision victories under his belt be unable to win by decision?

* Edited at 09.05.2022, 9:37 PM ET *

"This guy is too old to say this kind of ********."

Bellatrix
Bellatrix
  • Predictions:  2,979  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  871
  • Post Score: 326

09.05.2022 | 11:02 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1459th

@Gwin I have Tony by sub.  I think Jingliang would win a decision, though.

"While I Have Breath, I Have Hope."

LuckyTim
LuckyTim
  • Predictions:  217  |  57.1%
  • Forum Posts:  23
  • Post Score: -48

09.05.2022 | 11:46 PM ET

@gwinCLARKE2019

Predictions: 3 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 205 Points   |   Tied for 4462nd

Leech is 11-15 in rounds scored in his favor for fights that go out of the first round. his style just isnt something that scores well judges. i think leech has to win this fight by KO. if hes letting tony stand with him and trade blows on the feet hes going to get outpointed. im not really saying im all in on tony here but leech has 1 path here. very likely tho
MastaBlasta
MastaBlasta
  • Predictions:  260  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  47
  • Post Score: 194

09.06.2022 | 12:25 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 6 Winners, 1 Perfect, 255 Points   |   Tied for 4252nd

What's the deal with the catch weight for holland vs d-rod?? Anyone know the details?

I was leaning d-rod but catch weight of 180 makes me a bit hesitant. Maybe Rodriguez having issues cutting to 170 after a year off.

* Edited at 09.06.2022, 1:42 AM ET *

CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,389  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,968
  • Post Score: 172

09.06.2022 | 12:34 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 445 Points   |   Tied for 2037th

it's really short notice, like two weeks or something

"🏴 No Quarter Given 🏴"

RickySteve
RickySteve

09.06.2022 | 1:13 AM ET

Pretty weak card

Page 26

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?
  • Middle Easy : Israel Adesanya Reflects on His Iconic Rivlary with Alex Pereira: ‘I Just Knew That I Can Beat This Guy’
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry lauds Max Holloway for being in phenomenal shape compared to Justin Gaethje