Topic: Mir vs. Nelson

Mir vs. Nelson Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,550  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,505
  • Post Score: 60

01.14.2011 | 1:11 PM ET

This is the official prediction commentary thread for Mir vs. Nelson. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

01.18.2011 | 10:23 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

I am not sure he underrating anything. Mir ground game looked impressive against individuals with fairly bad jujistu. When he fought Roy in a grappling match he lost 14 to 2. So i don't believe he being underrated in the slightest. If Roy gets on top of him Mir is in trouble, he might not get finished but he will be dominated.

"here I come to save the day"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

01.18.2011 | 10:32 AM ET

Prediction: correct Mir   correct Decision  

this is true, Mir's submissions are against novist BJJ practicioners at best. Not to mention he's struggled on the ground with HEAVY dudes minus Tim Sylvia, whippidie doo. If Big Country lands on top odds are he's going to stay there for the duration of the round. Despite all that i am still picking Mir to win via decision
gringosmalls
gringosmalls
  • Predictions:  1,975  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  27
  • Post Score: 119

01.18.2011 | 1:27 PM ET

i hope roy wins by getting top control and smothers mir with that giant belly. hopefully it will make mir pass out and shut up . im just tired of mir's ****y ass ( even though he can kick my ass )   

"That which does not kill you makes you stronger. Neitzsche "

thefreeman
thefreeman
  • Predictions:  9,496  |  60.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,751
  • Post Score: 198

01.19.2011 | 5:10 PM ET

Since everyone is citing the grappling match between Roy and Frank here it is  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPTgegc19lY
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

01.19.2011 | 5:21 PM ET

this fight is so hard to call. I think Mir has the superior standup, but I'm not too sure. I don't know whether Nelson will be able to take Mir down, but if he does, Mir is in trouble. 

"We Are All One"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

01.19.2011 | 5:28 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong Decision  

Nice find, and a great match. Very fun to watch.  I've added it to the Mir vs Nelson fight page.

"I live, I die, I live again."

LoneRonin
LoneRonin
  • Predictions:  3,222  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,171
  • Post Score: 104

01.19.2011 | 5:35 PM ET

I'm hoping to see Nelson upset Mir. I think they're pretty equally matched and I don't see either guy getting finished in this one.
DaiKaiju Wicked
DaiKaiju Wicked
  • Predictions:  2,021  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  383
  • Post Score: 149

01.19.2011 | 5:40 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

I think the importance of the grappling match is being overstated.  Mir and Nelson are both very talented on the ground, but neither have very great offensive wrestling.  Nelson is one of those guys who tends to forgo his ground game in favor of throwing hays on the feet.  Mir may be more technically sound on the feet, but Nelson has the power advantage.  Nelson is as tough as they come, and Mir tends to fold under pressure and give up the minute he's hurt. With both having comprable stand up, wrestling, and submission games, I think intangibles will take over. I like Nelson because of his power, toughness, and cardio.  I look for the fight to stay on the feet for a majority of the time, and Nelson to win with a late stoppage.

"I was born as a catholic but the nuns turned me. I was born as a pacifist but the guns turned me. I was born to be a beautiful man, but the ugliness is powerful, I do what I can."

yankees1
yankees1
  • Predictions:  1,056  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  321
  • Post Score: 86

01.19.2011 | 5:44 PM ET

This was a great match! Why aren't grappling matches more mainstream? I know that they were pushing for a bjj league or something like that years back but it fell through. If you put this on ESPN or LIFETIME I'm still watching this over most junk on tv now.

"Jones: I'm sure Shogun poops like I poop. "

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

01.19.2011 | 5:59 PM ET

Well said Daikaiju.  And it's not like Nelson completely dominated and subbed him 17 times like a Marcelo Garcia training video.  It was a good match.

"I live, I die, I live again."

fockerfast
fockerfast
  • Predictions:  41  |  34.1%
  • Forum Posts:  16
  • Post Score: 38

01.23.2011 | 6:17 PM ET

Mir and Nelson are both great fighters, but I think that Mir will KO Nelson.
BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

01.23.2011 | 6:51 PM ET

Mir!!?

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

01.23.2011 | 9:27 PM ET

Prediction: correct Mir   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Re-watching the grappling match I can't say Mir got dominated. He controlled the beginning of the match and was controlling until he lost position going for the Kimura. Of course adding striking to the mix changes the entire dynamic. Not to mention this fight was years ago and neither fighter is the same now. They are both bigger than what they were then, Mir in muscle and Nelson in the belly. Also Mir clearly gassed about 5 mins into that match which lead to Nelson winning more than anything. It's going to be an interesting fight either way. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

05.01.2011 | 1:29 AM ET

Get him Nelson!

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.01.2011 | 4:21 PM ET

Mir is better at everything except taking a punch.  Assuming mirs defence standing holds up he will win this.  

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.02.2011 | 4:47 AM ET

Prediction: correct Mir   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

i'll take mir in this one. then we can see the battle of the belly's. roy nelson vs mike russow.
Ferrau Lacasse
Ferrau Lacasse
  • Predictions:  15  |  40.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 100

05.06.2011 | 9:49 AM ET

Fairly indifferent to this, Nelson annoys me less so i'll be pulling for him.
themysticalninja
themysticalninja
  • Predictions:  1,219  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,725
  • Post Score: 123

05.06.2011 | 10:06 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

Though Mir may have the stand up advantage, Nelson's is good enough for him to survive anything Mir throws at him. Eventually I see Mir getting taken down and Nelson managing to get a submission.

While Mir is still a dangerous fighter, he seems to have become more of a dull blade if his recent form is anything to go by while Nelson seems to be on the up.

"Go get some Donald CER-ROE-NAY!" - Greg Jackson

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

05.06.2011 | 5:47 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Nelson   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 1  

I think they're close in all areas with the big exception being their abilities to take a punch, where Nelson is much stronger. That's the reason I'm picking Nelson. This won't be a ground fight. Mir will try to stay at range and land the better shots and will likely win a decision if he's successful. Nelson will look for the KO.

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

BodyModifier
BodyModifier
  • Predictions:  21  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,608
  • Post Score: 152

05.06.2011 | 5:52 PM ET

If Nelson couldn't do anything to JDS for the rounds they fought. He has nothing against Mir. Carwin hit him with some big shots and had to keep pummeling him. Nelson will be a punching bag and on the ground it's pretty much even. I know they have went against each other with their jits but that's back when. I have Nelson slightly with better jiu jitsu. Mir takes too long to register and waits for openings. I think Nelson would work harder for a submission and would flop his belly around for his base on top. However I can't see Nelson getting on top of Mir anyways. Mir has a better chance at taking Nelson down or beating him on the feet.
I have Mir by decision.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘I just need to land the correct shot and he’s gone’: Riakporhe confident he’ll beat Billam-Smith again
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ian Machado Garry calls for UFC 303 co-main event vs. ‘p****’ Colby Covington, says ‘I’ll retire him for good’
  • MMA Junkie : Jessica Andrade: Title shot after UFC 300 win is the 'natural course of things'
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Haney vs Garcia preview and Ryan’s chances at the upset
  • Jits Magazine : Subversiv 10 Full Results And Review
  • Jits Magazine : Andorra And Brazil Bring Stellar AJP Tournaments To Their Territories
  • MMAFighting.com : New video shows Max Holloway’s instant backstage reaction after legendary Justin Gaethje knockout
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Magomed By KO? Pereira ‘Doesn’t Have A Chin’
  • MMA Mania : Bellator Paris Fight Card, Rumors For Nurmagomedov vs. Shabliy
  • MMA Mania : New Title? McGregor Vs. Chandler ‘Should Be For A Belt’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 300 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Junkie : Deiveson Figueiredo: 'I deserve to fight for the championship next' after UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Should Max Holloway go back to 145 or stay at 155 after BMF title win?
  • MMA Mania : Math! Harrison Proves ‘PFL Champions Can Beat Anyone’
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Calls For Interim Title Fight with Julianna Pena at UFC 303: ‘I Will Make Myself Available’
  • MMA Junkie : Judges Gonna Judge: Did Arman Tsarukyan deserve UFC 300 nod vs. Charles Oliveira?
  • MMAFighting.com : Jorge Masvidal explains frustration dealing with ‘diva’ Nate Diaz for boxing match
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Praised Max Holloway For Making Elite Fighters “Seem Normal,” Talks Alex Pereira’s Success Without Wrestling Skills
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Reacts To Max Holloway’s “F*cking Legendary” Knockout Win At UFC 300, Thinks Holloway Should Stay At Lightweight
  • MMA Junkie : Bo Nickal explains callout of Anthony Hernandez at UFC 300: 'I want to start fighting better guys'