Topic: Top Heavyweights - 265 lbs.

Derrick Lewis

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

03.20.2022 | 2:26 AM ET

How can Derrick Lewis be currently ranked behind Curtis Blaydes when he knocked him out cold just a year ago. 

Responses

Dead
Dead
  • Predictions:  13  |  38.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 120

03.21.2022 | 9:31 PM ET

Tai Tuivasa is currently ranked above every fighter that has beaten him in the UFC. And Lewis has lost a few big fights since the Blaydes fight (including one to Tai). Also, Lewis is #5 right now, so the discussion is moot. 

That said, I think Volkov and Blaydes both retained some respect after those losses because they showed skills and dominated those fights before getting KO'd. Derrick just has that equalizer. Same reason why Paul Craig is lower than Ankalaev despite finishing him by submission. The whole fight matters, the context matters, not just a single W/L. 
Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

03.21.2022 | 9:46 PM ET

Lewis knocked Blaydes out less than a year before losing to to Tuivasa. In that time he KOd Daukaus. He lost to Gane and Tuivasa, which are respectable losses. Blaydes might very well suffer the same fate against both of them. Blaydes had one fight in the same time and went to decision with Rozenstruik. I don't see why this is criteria for Blaydes being ranked at 4 and Lewis at 5. Lewis has given us more fights, and has a much better resume than Blaydes.
Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

03.21.2022 | 9:47 PM ET

Also Craig lost 99% of that fight and it was a years ago. Lewis wasn't losing like that.
MMARanks
MMARanks
  • Predictions:  582  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  196
  • Post Score: 135

03.31.2022 | 12:01 AM ET

You make a fair point.

This site is cool, the way it allows for many different ranking philosophies to mesh together.

It would be tricky to continuously keep every fighter above anyone they beat in the last year, though I imagine that's not your only method to build a list. 

If people took a "big picture" approach, say like body of work over the last few years...

Lewis is 5-3 with 1 win against your top 10 list and a loss to someone outside of it.
Blaydes is 6-1 with 2 wins against your top 10 list.
They have 2 common recent opponents in Dos Santos & Daukaus.  Blaydes did better in both cases.

Anyway, I guess that's the beauty of letting everyone decide how they want to tackle their lists.  Keeping everything uniformly applied is tricky at times.  LOL

One thing I wish this site would consider, is not always capping divisions at 75 lists.  If there were more than 75 lists that were less than a week old, (which there has been), it'd be nice to let more than 75 lists form the consensus ranks.  The more input, the better,  haha

That said, this system is really unique and I'd dare to say, the best approach to rankings that I've seen online.

* Edited at 03.31.2022, 12:14 AM ET *

"Facts > Feelings"

CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,389  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,968
  • Post Score: 172

03.31.2022 | 3:32 AM ET

the simplest answer is Lewis lost more times than Curtis won since that fight took place. winning more than the guy that KO'd you can move you up in the rankings, if it didnt then KO artists would never be able to lose their rankings

"🏴 No Quarter Given 🏴"

Michael315Scarn
Michael315Scarn

03.31.2022 | 10:24 AM ET

BEFORE the Daukaus fight, beating Jarzinho shouldn’t have ranked him higher than someone he definitively lost to less than a year before. 
MMARanks
MMARanks
  • Predictions:  582  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  196
  • Post Score: 135

03.31.2022 | 11:35 PM ET

Ya, I forgot to take into account that the list you're showing now might not be the same list you had at the time you posted.  haha.  That's my bad.  Though if you had Volkov and Rozy on your top 10 back then, then I guess what I laid out still applies except for the Daukaus reference.

I guess it will still come down to all the different philosophies people use.  If you use more of a timeframe "profile" approach like essentially all sports do, you can often make a case for 1 fighter to remain above another, even after the lower one defeats the higher one.

That said, I can totally understand those who automatically pop the winner above the loser after they fight each other, I don't subscribe to that, but I acknowledge it's a thing.  :) 

Peace.

* Edited at 03.31.2022, 11:37 PM ET *

"Facts > Feelings"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case