Tapology Forums

WHISKY TASTING NOTES

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Moorlady
Moorlady

03.13.2022 | 3:23 AM ET

Tasting Notes:  PROPER NO. TWELVE IRISH WHISKEY  It should be noted first that as a moor-dweller, the Moorlady has a decided prejudice in favor of all tipples most peaty.  Mr. McGregor's offering escapes the frequent pitfall of blended Irish whiskies that is sweetness.  He is to be heartily applauded for it, and all bourbons should be put on notice that sweetness is not a quality which will be met with kindly in the Moorlady's tasting rooms.  It is further noted that Mr. McGregor's whiskey is entirely unaged, and perhaps invites the tongue to taste Ireland as it is now, not through intervention of oak or sherry barrel, foreign modifications, true, but distilled naked, and blended naked, like an orgy of confident, beautiful young people, with stories of journeys and oceans and mountains and barks to tell.  One wonders how, without adulterating substance, it manages to make it smooth and fire-dead into the barrel.  Giant's spit?  Ogre's piss?  Irish spring water?  For how can something so tame be worthy of its Gaelic definition, "the water of life," without the quickening of fire.  This is whiskey for old men, and for boys who don't know that it was meant to make them fire-breathing dragons, and not simply old men of lesser wrinkles.  In pandering to the least common denominator with his product, Mr. McGregor, has neutered the essential spirit of the island.

Responses Page 6

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

03.22.2022 | 3:04 PM ET

@Phil what the ****? When did you move back from the Philippines?

* Edited at 03.22.2022, 3:04 PM ET *

phillip53
phillip53
  • Predictions:  45,779  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,398
  • Post Score: 305

03.22.2022 | 6:55 PM ET

its been a year. i thought everyone here knew it, but you might have been suspended at the time, maybe.

* Edited at 03.22.2022, 7:01 PM ET *

"you dont need religion to have morals. if you can't tell right from wrong you lack empathy and humanity, not religion."

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

03.22.2022 | 7:09 PM ET

What made you come back?
phillip53
phillip53

03.22.2022 | 8:28 PM ET

couldnt get my visa renewed anymore because of covid, i had to leave or be deported. if you get deported you cant ever return. i feel i was lucky to get out as easily as i did.

"you dont need religion to have morals. if you can't tell right from wrong you lack empathy and humanity, not religion."

Moorlady
Moorlady

04.07.2022 | 1:35 PM ET

Sorry, @Phil.  I have your books packed and ready to go!  I just need to get myself off to the post office!
Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

04.07.2022 | 6:40 PM ET

@phil join my group bud

https://www.tapology.com/groups/881
phillip53
phillip53

04.07.2022 | 9:12 PM ET

many thanks to you moorlady

i will fish

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

04.08.2022 | 6:22 AM ET

McGregors whiskey is dirt, thats what I heard, never tried it. The best whiskey I ever had was this expensive aged Japanese whiskey my friend got, I forget the name, but whiskey always gave me the shakes the day after if I drank alot of it. I'll always dislike the way McGregor sucker punched that old man for saying no to his offer of a glass of proper 12 whiskey, that was a bad one. Well he created some jobs and people will always be putting toxic crap in themselves (alcohol destroys your positive gut bacteria, causes aging and strain on your body) so may aswell join the party. Maybe 40 to 100 years from now it will be more refined and better quality. Still not buying it. I prefer Jägermeister and those really nice German and Italian beers, theres a good few quality ones, Spaten is a well known one. I havent tried stuff from too many nations yet so im still quite ignorant to which could truly be the best, but the German and Italian ones hit the mark a few times. I tried some good Dutch, French, Polish and Lithuanian ones, other places too, but yeah if I was to be honest, the German ones would have the best quality Ive tried so far.

* Edited at 04.08.2022, 7:10 AM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

04.08.2022 | 7:13 AM ET

One more thing

I know im going off talking non whiskey, but guys try this "Belgian witbier" beer called Hoegaarden it is truly unique, that may be my favorite alcohol even more than Jager.

* Edited at 04.08.2022, 7:17 AM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

04.08.2022 | 7:20 AM ET

Great one for me at least

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

04.08.2022 | 7:21 AM ET

One of the nicest drinks ever

Moorlady
Moorlady

04.08.2022 | 8:12 AM ET

I try to avoid gluten; just one of the reasons I love scotch.  I don't think Proper Twelve's bad.  It's not great either.  Middling.  Good for watching the fights (goddamned advertising!).
Moorlady
Moorlady

04.12.2022 | 9:29 PM ET

WHISKY TASTING NOTES

Tasting Notes:  Akashi Whisky  Akashi is the label of the White Oak distillery in Akashi, Hiyogo, Japan.  It does not put me in mind of oak trees, however.  Rather, it puts me in mind of a birch forest:  tall, slender, and white, with papery bark--golden sunlight and cool breezes wending through.  Methinks this is the blended version, although they do produce a single malt.  The blend is airy and approachable.  I first encountered it as part of a flight at a sushi restaurant, and it paired well with that fresh and nuanced cuisine.  This is the stuff of Debussy's "Afternoon of the Faun."  It meanders and meditates.  Heartily recommend.  It is the stuff a hart might happen upon in a whisky brook....

Moorlady
Moorlady

05.07.2022 | 5:34 AM ET

PROSECCO TASTING NOTES

Tasting Notes:  PITARS MILLESIMATO PROSECCO.  I don't even know if that's the right name.  This is very cheap prosecco.  It comes in a set of three:  gold (prosecco), blue (brut), and pink (rose) bottles wrapped in macaron-colored foil.  They're imported by "More Than G****s" in Northbrook, Illinois.  What, in addition, to g****s do they import?  Bottles?  Anyway, this is mostly an ode to the mimosa--the blood of the brunch eucharist.  We all have our own Christ-of-Brunch.  For me, it's a dearly departed aunt.  But you can always claim Holly Golightly of Breakfast at Tiffany's.  Dry, sparkling wine, at least this dry, sparkling wine isn't a beverage you take naked.  It's a juice accessory.  This morning, I'm changing things up, with the Pomegranate Blueberry variant from POM.  Quite good.  The great thing about mimosas is that they're one of the few ****tails its socially acceptable to drink at breakfast on weekends or days off.  To weekends!   

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

05.07.2022 | 9:09 AM ET

Single barrel Bourbon or 100% agave tequila for me. Scotch, Irish, and American whiskeys are too clear for me. They aren't terrible just little taste. Favorites are Booker's, Four Roses specialties, and Blanton's which I just had about a month ago. Never had Proper but don't care for Jameson's so..... But my brother loves it. 

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Tieoken
Tieoken
  • Predictions:  1,977  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,620
  • Post Score: 313

05.07.2022 | 9:55 AM ET

Blanton's is pretty good. Had a bottle one time, took me and my friend near a year to work through it because we don't drink much. But I enjoyed it a lot.

"I’m here to snatch necks and cash checks" - Darrick Minner

Moorlady
Moorlady

05.13.2022 | 8:33 PM ET

WHISKY TASTING NOTES

Tasting Notes:  LAPHROAIG, 10 YEAR.  To taste Laphroaig, pronounced "La Froy," is to taste a cool beach, baptized since time primordial in salt waves and salt air.  It is to contemplate the sorites paradox, grain by grain of sand.  It is to sit around the pub fire and marinate in peat smoke, and stories of piracy and mermaids and sea war.  It is the original truth serum, with flame that lingers on the lip and tongue, but contrary to popular belief, its truths are imbibed, not spilled.  The best truths are distilled, aged, bottled long, and reduced to essence.  To drink of them is to come home.

* Edited at 05.13.2022, 8:34 PM ET *

Bellatrix
Bellatrix
  • Predictions:  2,979  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  872
  • Post Score: 326

10.21.2023 | 12:03 AM ET

WHISKY TASTING NOTES

Tasting Notes:  TALISKER, 10 YEAR.  In my opinion, Talisker is the only offering worth tasting from the Isle of Skye.  It's wilder than its mainland or Islay neighbors.  Rougher around the edges.  Almost medicinal.  You could be excused drinking it for your constitution  But it will rake your throat in the going down, and in the most delightful way.  It's dry as desiccated grassland.  And does not taste of any proximity to the ocean, unlike it's Islay neighbors.  It is bracing in the drinking.  And shot through with darts of weedy wet grass.  

"While I Have Breath, I Have Hope."

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings