Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Font vs. Vera

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,376
  • Post Score: 47

01.19.2022 | 7:43 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 04.30.2022 at 04:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN | Prelims: ESPN 2
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UFC APEX
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Dominick Cruz, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Michael Bisping
  • TV Ratings: 830,000 avg. viewers (274k ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Marlon Vera   defeats   Rob Font   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Andrei Arlovski   defeats   Jake Collier   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Joanderson Brito   defeats   Andre Fili   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:41 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Grant Dawson   defeats   Jared Gordon   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:11 Round 3 of 3, 14:11 Total Bout Page
Darren Elkins   defeats   Tristan Connelly   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Krzysztof Jotko   defeats   Gerald Meerschaert   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alexandr Romanov   defeats   Chase Sherman   via Submission, Americana   2:11 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Francisco Figueiredo   defeats   Daniel Lacerda   via Submission, Kneebar   1:18 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Gabe Green   defeats   Yohan Lainesse   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:02 Round 2 of 3, 9:02 Total Bout Page
Natan Levy   defeats   Mike Breeden   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Shanna Young   defeats   Gina Mazany   via KO/TKO, Punches and Elbows From Back Mount   3:11 Round 2 of 3, 8:11 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 12

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,816
  • Post Score: 141

04.28.2022 | 10:41 AM ET

Picks

Card isnt bad imo, Some decent fights and some nice spots for betting.

1. Rob Font Decision
Marlon Vera is ok, not that special imo. Not sure why there is that much hype on this dude. His wins are not great or have caveats against them. Even in the Edgar fight I feel he was losing until the 3rd round. He always loses the first and sure he comes on strong in R3, but does that automatically mean he is going to do well in R4/5 where he has never fought before. Also punches, especially combinations of a jab score more than kicks with the judges. Vera's striking is not as good as Font, he gets hit a lot, and his wrestling is not fantastic. Even on the ground I think he will not be able to submit Font who I expect to get up if he gets taken down. I think Font is better everywhere and I think he is going to destroy Vera who I feel would have gotten smashed by Sean O'Malley if not for the freak leg injury. Either way this is going over 2.5 rounds.

2. Arlovski Decision
I like Collier, has decent striking and good volume but he is just not in the same class as Arlovski. I think Arlovski's recent point fighting style is going to keep him safe and he will outstrike Collier. He has only really lost to the absolute best who are often power punchers. He is unlikely to get taken down either. I think this will be another close looking decision but a decision win for Arlovski. 

3. Fili Decision
I think this will be a close fight but Fili is the better fighter and if he fights like he did in his last it should be awesome to watch. That said he often fights close, and not sure why he took this long off after his last. Britto is decent and may even win a round but I am not sure about his cardio and I think Fili will at least win the last 2 with his better striking.

4. Dawson Decision
First I have to say that I am not that impressed with Dawson. Sure he will be the bigger man but I don't trust his cardio if he faces resistance with his wrestling. His striking is not good. But unlike Solecki did with Gordon I do not expect him to spend too much time striking. I think he will get Gordon against the cage and chain takedowns and keep getting him down for 2 rounds at least. Gordon has poor take down defence and I think when Dawson is on top he will be too much for Gordon. Another factor is that Dawson is at ATT now not at Glory and I am not sure if that is going to benefit him or hurt him tbh. Still picking him now to get 2 out of 3 but it is a very close fight imo.

5. Elkins Decision
I think Elkins will grind out a decision here against Conolley who is not likely to KO him unlike Cub Swanson. Elkins should be able to get him down and keep him down. A finish is unlikely.

6. Jotko Decision
As much as I dislike watching Jotkos fights I think he gets a decision win here. Better on the feet than Gerard and should be able to stay safe on the ground even if it gets there. True that is a risky statement as Gerard always is looking for the sub, but I don't think he will find it easy to get it to the ground against Jotko who has very good take down defence. I feel Jotko will keep it standing and piece him up on the feet. Gerard usually loses his fights until he wins, but this time I think he will just lose.

7. Romanov Submission
No breakdown needed here.

8. Figuiereido Decision
This is the fight I am least confident about on the whole card but I am going to trust the Fight Ready crew on this one. I think if discount Figgy survives round 1 then he has a good chance of getting the W. Da Silva will go for it but after round 1? Not sure that his cardio will hold up and it is my resolution this year to back cardio. I think at least the high level environment that Salvation Army Figgy is in will keep him in the running here.

9. Gabe Green KO
If Lainesse does not get a R1 KO I think Green is going to take him apart with leg kicks and wrestling. My main concern is that Green gets hit a lot and Lainesse does have KO power. That said I think he survives and gets a late KO.

10. Levy Decision
This should be easy for Levy. I think a decision but it could be a submission early. I do not think Breeden is very good tbh and getting KOd like that against Hernandez was not a good look.

11. Mazany KO
I think this is an easy win for Mazany. She was winning against Priscilla and got stood up by the ref (Beltran the Gaul) so she could not recover after getting a take down. Young does not have that kind of power on the feet and I think she is getting taken down and pounded out in R2. One of my most confident picks on the card.

12. Taira Submission
I think Taira is the real deal. True there are a lot of variables here including a debut in the US, perhaps first time fighting in a small octogon, facing a different level (and I think Candelario is good - but remember he almost did not even get a contract on DWCS) and I think if he gets it to the ground his ground work is really good. Main thing is can he get it there. I think he will and I think he is better everywhere else and has a good measured pace and good cardio. He should get it done but take this with a pinch of salt because I often seem to get the first fight of the night wrong.

My confident picks for this card -

- Font and over 2.5
- Levy 
- Elkins and over 1.5
- Mazany
- Romanov by finish
- Arlovski and over 1.5
- Jotko and over 1.5
gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,348  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  10,014
  • Post Score: 129

04.28.2022 | 11:39 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 2638th

I'm currently considering if I'm going to pick Collier or Arlovski, very close fight in my opinion. I will definitely have an eye on the weigh ins.

It almost puts me in physical pain to go against Arlovski though because I just have so much respect and admiration for him as a fighter. Also he's representing all of us boomers out there.

Edit: Brings a smile to my face watching his fight vs Felipe and hearing 16 year younger Felipe yelling "what the ****!" in the background as the camera focuses on Arlovski celebrating his 29-28 decision win with his team.

* Edited at 04.28.2022, 11:44 AM ET *

"My dad was never mad I got into fights, he was just mad I wasn't winning the fights, so that's how I got into MMA" - Christian 'Ceerod' Rodriguez

MMAFan223
MMAFan223
  • Predictions:  12,768  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  312
  • Post Score: 205

04.28.2022 | 11:48 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1354th

Hard to trust guys like Lainesse that throw big power in every strike not to gas. Green has awful fight IQ but he's got good volume and some grappling to mix it up. I hope Lainesse wins, he seems like a cool guy and his fight style is very exciting.
MMAFan223
MMAFan223
  • Predictions:  12,768  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  312
  • Post Score: 205

04.28.2022 | 11:50 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1354th

Anyone see Zabit is a doctor now? ***.
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,816

04.28.2022 | 11:52 AM ET

@Gliesi58i

I remember that moment, one of the funniest things I have seen. Hated Carlos Felipe and that was a great moment in MMA
Thewelshguy1998
Thewelshguy1998
  • Predictions:  604  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,054
  • Post Score: 242

04.28.2022 | 1:17 PM ET

Is zabit not fighting ever again?
FistyMcKickerChoke
FistyMcKickerChoke
  • Predictions:  29,139  |  80.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,539
  • Post Score: 237

04.28.2022 | 1:34 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 57th

Collier vs. Arlovski
Andrei Arlovski, DEC
I'm surprised the odds are so even, reasonable odds for a heavyweight fight. Arlovski has looked great lately though, and his jab-heavy, high-volume style should be a good counter to Collier.

Elkins vs. Connelly
Darren Elkins, DEC
Connelly is tough but I gotta pick my boi

Romanov vs. Sherman
Alexandr Romanov, TKO, R1
Why didn't they just let this one go

"Throughout my career I've learned that "If you win you're the ****, if you lose it's bad." - Bruno "Blindadao" Silva"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,520  |  67.5%
  • Forum Posts:  31,651
  • Post Score: 87

04.28.2022 | 1:39 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 1538th

@welsh yes, he’s done fighhting

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

gliese58i
gliese58i

04.28.2022 | 2:09 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

What's the source?

"My dad was never mad I got into fights, he was just mad I wasn't winning the fights, so that's how I got into MMA" - Christian 'Ceerod' Rodriguez

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

04.28.2022 | 2:13 PM ET

His coach. He also posted in his story and it looks like he’s gonna be a doctor or some **** lol

gliese58i
gliese58i

04.28.2022 | 3:32 PM ET

Comments on youtube are saying Elkins has a speech impediment, in regards to how punch drunk he sounded in his MMAjunkie interview.

shaqalicious023
shaqalicious023
  • Predictions:  494  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  118
  • Post Score: 84

04.28.2022 | 3:42 PM ET

Analysis and predictions video for Balkan fans

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 2371st

DCpredictions
DCpredictions
  • Predictions:  1,606  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  841

04.28.2022 | 3:56 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 2330th

@gliese yeah I was probably one of them, but I went back and listened to ones from years and years ago and he sounded the same. So I think that's just him. 
Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

04.28.2022 | 4:05 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 3272nd

@gliese58i

please join my group. Pepes needed.

https://www.tapology.com/groups/881
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

04.28.2022 | 4:07 PM ET

I noticed that when he fought Minner. I’m pretty sure he’s just had a speech impediment or if not I’m pretty sure he’s always been like that. That being said he is definitely punch drunk lol

lytskinjonnybones
lytskinjonnybones
  • Predictions:  4,008  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  121
  • Post Score: 94

04.28.2022 | 4:11 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1421st

Font vs. Vera
Rob Font, DEC
boxeo

Collier vs. Arlovski
Andrei Arlovski
reverse cannonier

Fili vs. Brito
Andre Fili, TKO, R2
his neck tat is weird

Gordon vs. Dawson
Grant Dawson, SUB, R1
grant dawson is tuff

Elkins vs. Connelly
Tristan Connelly, DEC
he beat michel pereira

da Silva vs. Figueiredo
Francisco Figueiredo, SUB, R1
mini figgy

Lainesse vs. Green
Yohan Lainesse
he was on contender series

Mazany vs. Young
Shanna Young
who

Taira vs. Candelario
Tatsuro Taira, TKO, R1
nippon

"If you dont go too far you will never go far enough" - Uncle Chael

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

04.28.2022 | 4:13 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 3272nd

Rusty getting as many downvotes as ups for the heinous crime of posting breakdowns on his own time and being consistently one of the more accurate pickers on the boards basically sums up the Tapology community in 2022--and how cancerous and ******** it truly is.
JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  12,061  |  72.5%
  • Forum Posts:  7,500
  • Post Score: 13

04.28.2022 | 4:15 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 111th

yea. sometimes i get several thumps down for a normal comment

* Edited at 04.28.2022, 4:15 PM ET *

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

gliese58i
gliese58i

04.28.2022 | 4:16 PM ET

@Baldric Eggling

ok

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

04.28.2022 | 4:20 PM ET

I think people just downvote breakdowns when they don’t agree with it lol

Page 12

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘Regretful’ Biter Breaks Silence
  • MMA Mania : An Elite Contender With Only One Combo
  • MMA Mania : ‘Come Over Here Real Quick, Win A Belt, Maybe Win Another Belt’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Plans To Continue Fighting Until He’s ‘In The F*cking Grave,’ Wants To Face Similar-Aged Opponents
  • Middle Easy : Khalil Rountree Jr Claims Fans Want To See Him Fight Alex Pereira, Doesn’t Care If Pereira Is Champion
  • MMAFighting.com : Vince McMahon unloads another $100 million of TKO Group Holdings stock
  • MMA Junkie : 'That's not who I am': Igor Severino apologizes for bite, hopes one mistake doesn't define career
  • MMA Mania : ‘A Big Spit In The Face Of All The Champions’
  • MMAFighting.com : Payton Talbott rejects Sean O’Malley comparisons after UFC Vegas 89: ‘I don’t want to be compared’
  • UFC.com : Joaquin Buckley: ‘This Is The Reason I’m Here’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tszyu willing to face Spence next, talks fight with Fundora
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tim Tszyu willing to face Errol Spence next, talks fight with Sebastian Fundora
  • MMA Junkie : 'Super happy' PFL season newcomer Mads Burnell explains excitement for fight schedule, new weight class
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor scoffs at retirement: ‘It’s to the motherf****** grave’
  • MMA Mania : Whittaker: Chimaev Fight ‘Came Out Of Nowhere’
  • MMA Junkie : Why 2022 PFL welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moved to light heavyweight for upcoming season
  • MMAFighting.com : Robert Whittaker reacts to Khamzat Chimaev fight at UFC Saudi Arabia: ‘It’s a bit of a shock’
  • MMA Mania : GSP ‘Would Have Put Khabib Down’
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he had ‘suicidal thoughts’ amid CryptoZoo scandal fallout: ‘I was spiraling’
  • UFC.com : The State Of UFC During UFC 100 And 200