Topic: Off Topic

What’s the Strangest, Weirdest Piece of Fictional Media You’ve Seen?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Sabbath
Sabbath
  • Predictions:  1,868  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,437
  • Post Score: 239

01.14.2022 | 6:25 PM ET

So I was bored one day and decided to look through a list on Wikipedia that labels every single film that got an NC-17 rating. I had seen most of the films since I’m a weirdo who watches gay French art house films and pretends to understand them on Letterboxd forums, but I did come across a movie that…honest to god, blew my ******* mind.

It’s called “Crash”. No, not the ****** oscar-bait from 2006, the one from 1996. It’s a psychological (horror???) erotic film about a guy who joins a group of ‘Symphophilliacs’ which are people who have a fetish for watching car crashes and purposely cause car crashes to jack-off. Yes, this is a real movie. Yes, Roger Ebert gave it a glowingly positive review. No, I haven’t watched it yet, but I’m absolutely adding that **** to my Blu-Ray collection just to say I have it and tell my friends about it.

This got me curious: what’s the most wild piece of fictional media you guys have ever witnessed? 
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 4 hours, and 56 minutes from now.

Responses

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

01.14.2022 | 7:59 PM ET

I was walking with my friend once across a bridge and as we both looked to the side a bad car crash happened..... 

Im not sure what the wildest fictional media I've seen is.... Maybe Texhnolyze, Ichi The Killer, some of the SAW movies, Ergo Proxy, Paranoia Agent, Kakegurui or Warhammer 40K books and media

* Edited at 01.14.2022, 8:10 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Sabbath
Sabbath

01.14.2022 | 8:03 PM ET

WastelandWanderer

Never heard of Texhnolyze until now. Artwork looks dope and very up my alley. I’m into that moody, surrealist dark **** like Ergo Proxy and Serial Experiments Lain.

* Edited at 01.14.2022, 8:03 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 4 hours, and 56 minutes from now.
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.14.2022 | 8:04 PM ET

Im saving watching Texhnolyze again for a special occasion

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.14.2022 | 8:05 PM ET

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.14.2022 | 8:05 PM ET

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.14.2022 | 8:12 PM ET

@Sabbath Crash is kind of what people like me ( Modernists) cite as an example of why Postmodernism is trash. It's our beta noir. The go-to.

Weirdest fictional media? Ehhhh. Hard to say. A  few come to mind. The Red room in the original twin peaks is very ******* weird and disturbing, I'll say that. You have to be a little bit...I don't know If I want to use this term, but 'psychic' to get it. It's probably the best thing  Lynch ever did. To get the strange dream-like speech sounds in the dialogue exchanges, he actually had the actors learn their lines backwards, then played them back in reverse. It's very clever and effective.

* Edited at 01.14.2022, 8:15 PM ET *

Sabbath
Sabbath

01.14.2022 | 8:38 PM ET

Baldric Eggling

Postmodernism is the equivalent of being prescribed an anti-depressant for anti-depressants.

Ah a fellow Twin Peaks fan, excellent choice. Frankly, I have seen things more wild than Crash, but it did inspire this discussion. Probably the most bizarre I’ve seen is one of those ****** up Doujinshi mangas edgy doomers reference nowadays. Legitimately horrifying ****.
Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.14.2022 | 8:50 PM ET

I mean, I'm not completely anti postmodernism but yeah, most of it is a cop-out. It's kind of the same problem I have with surrealism. It's kind of too easy. I don't consider bricolage and juxtaposition particularly artful and one does not need be a genius to write down their dreams. Damien Hirst isn't a genius. He's not even an artist. He's a ridiculous ****.

That said, I do like some POMO things, like Ren & Stimpy, and even some surrealists (not sure Surrealism is  POMO necessarily) like Dorothea Tanning, but I'm a modernist at heart. Never tell me that Fifty Shades of Grey is the same Artistic achievement as Dubliners by James Joyce--or that one doesn't have more value than the other.

Sometimes there's a crossover. My favourite Artists is an American guy called Robert Evans. He paints what is loosely referred to as New Objectivism' or sometimes it is referred to as magical realism. It's quite a tight rope-walk between realism and surrealism, and hardly anybody can do it well. His paintings are strange but it's hard to describe why, exactly, because nothing especially abnormal is happening in his scenes. Hes like Wyeth, I suppose. I've been following him since my university days and can remember when you could buy one of his works for under 2K. If only I'd pulled the trigger and bought some of his work back then!

* Edited at 01.14.2022, 8:51 PM ET *

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

01.14.2022 | 8:57 PM ET

@Baldric how much are his paintings going for now?

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.14.2022 | 9:27 PM ET

@Wasteland a whole lot ******* more than 2k. Hundreds of thousands depending on the painting.
Sabbath
Sabbath

01.14.2022 | 9:45 PM ET

Baldric Eggling

Damien Hirst is a fascinating guy. I mean, I’ve heard the saying before, but I never thought I’d ever see a man with his head shoved up his own ass. Gotta give props, the man is talented, and flexible.

One of my favorite artists has always been Gian Galang (Basic ***** choice, I know) but I also enjoy the works of George Atherton, Thomas Alen Kopera, Zdzislaw Beksinski, Seguru Takana and Alex Ross.
Sabbath
Sabbath

01.14.2022 | 9:45 PM ET

Baldric Eggling

Hindsight is a real *****, ain’t it? 
Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.14.2022 | 10:08 PM ET

Oh well. I had plenty of good reasons not to buy at the time, not least of which being back then it would have cost me as much or more in freight to get it shipped to Australia safely. But yeah, kicking myself now because something always told me to bet on him.

I like Kris Kuksi a lot too. He's a sculptor who makes this demented kind of Bosch-esque rococo/gothtc revival/ futuristic dioramas. Cannot even imagine the amount of hours that go in to one of these things. Every piece is handcrafted. Very talented guy.

Sabbath
Sabbath

01.14.2022 | 11:39 PM ET

Baldric Eggling

Jesus, those are incredible! Reminds me of the art style of Darkseed

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

01.15.2022 | 12:14 AM ET

I like Giger. I think he's wrongly classified as a misogynist. His first wife committed suicide and I think he just painted/sculpted the pain of that in different ways. I heard an interview he did before he died and said that it's horrible thinking you may have contributed to your lover's death, somehow. It's all very sad really. 
Sabbath
Sabbath

01.15.2022 | 1:47 AM ET

Baldric Eggling

I had no idea Giger was considered a misogynist. I’ve heard rumors he was a literal monster fetishist but nothing malignant. What was the origins behind those allegations?

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Adrien Broner vs Blair Cobbs official for June 7, WBC title fight on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith Pitches For Alex Pereira Fight, Says He ‘Would Really Step In The Fire’ With ‘Poatan’
  • Middle Easy : Khabib Nurmagomedov Threatened to ‘Rip Up’ UFC Contract to Get His Friend a Fight
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55's Bogdan Guskov still down for Anthony Smith fight despite 'friendly sparring'
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo Discusses UFC 301 Return And Boxing Match With Floyd Mayweather, Backs Conor McGregor To Finish Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Leon Edwards’ Coach is ’99 Percent’ Certain the Belal Muhammad Fight Will Happen at UFC 304
  • UFC.com : Ryan Spann: Consistency Builds Confidence
  • MMA Junkie : Dan Hooker claps back at Renato Moicano: 'You're the easiest money I've ever seen in my life, you chinless scumbag'
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney releases first statement since Ryan Garcia loss, Oscar De La Hoya responds
  • MMA Mania : Velasquez Headed To Trial In September
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA, boxing and bareknuckle action April 25-27
  • MMAFighting.com : Roundtable: Is BKFC Mike Perry one of the 10 biggest draws in combat sports?
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let’s Go, Colby!’
  • MMA Junkie : PFL MENA 1 lineup announced
  • Bad Left Hook : Predictions: Will Jose Ramirez and Vergil Ortiz Jr shine on Saturday?
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Almost Had ‘Scarface’ Vs. ‘Dominator’
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Zubaira Tukhugov reveals Khabib Nurmagomedov was ‘going to rip contract up’ if he didn’t fight at UFC 242
  • MMA Mania : Meet PFL’s Latest Flyweight Signing, Melissa Balic!
  • Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Abdul-Kareem Al Sewady And Amin Youb Join The Main Card In A Welterweight Bout