Topic: Alistair Overeem

Overeem Granted Conditional License for UFC 141 by NSAC

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

12.13.2011 | 3:03 PM ET

anyone read the article on sherdog about this?   http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Overeem-Granted-Conditional-License-for-UFC-141-by-NSAC-38049

I found it interesting that overeems test took six days from out of country and lesnar who is in country and used to the policies took four days longer than required.  It amazes me that so much pressure and bias is put towards overeem who has never tested positive for anything and has only ever been suspected of things based on his build (which is no indicator whatsoever) where as lesnar who comes from a company that has rampant drug use and has been busted with things that were labelled peds (later released) and its an after thought to mention he was four days late.  

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Alistair "The Demolition Man" Overeem

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Alistair Cees Overeem
  • Pro MMA Record: 47-19-0, 1 NC (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Demolition Man
  • Current Streak: 1 Loss
  • Last Fight: February 06, 2021 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 255.5 lbs
  • Affiliation: N/A
  • Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Reach: 80.0" (203cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $4,539,999 USD
  • Born: Hounslow, England
  • Fighting out of: Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

12.13.2011 | 3:06 PM ET

I'll be so bummed if this fight falls through because of a failed drug test.
Piercerdan
Piercerdan

12.13.2011 | 3:12 PM ET

His tests were clean but late because he flew back to holland.  Lesnar was in town at home and still didn't make the time limits but no one talks about that because the lesnar roid talk has been done to death.  

Personally whether or not either have done illegal drugs is not what I'm going to talk about, But i don't think either are currently using and i think its unfair that its put all on AO with only and after mention about lesnar also being late.

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

12.13.2011 | 3:13 PM ET

Overeem passed his blood test and his urine test won't be back for a few days.  I agree with you @Pierce on most of that, but Overeem's actions made the commision "wonder" I guess.  He left the country the same day he was requested to submit a test for example.  This is in no way a sign or suggestion of guilt, but to a commision... it just looks weird.

EDIT:  Ah.. your 2nd post beat me to it @Pierce!

* Edited at 12.13.2011, 3:14 PM ET *

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

12.13.2011 | 3:22 PM ET

@kalibo we're often on the same page ;)

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

12.13.2011 | 3:23 PM ET

Also the request was made to his assistants and apparently he didn't find out til he had already left.  People close to their families also will drop everything when a loved on is sick 

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

12.13.2011 | 3:35 PM ET

Agreed.. the guy submitted the darn tests.. if this was fighter "Joe Blow".. it wouldn't be news worthy imo... but since it is the Reem... people are jumping all over it.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

12.13.2011 | 3:55 PM ET

Which is why it bugs me that lesnars 4days is an after thought and overeems 6days from the other side of the world is such a huge deal.  History here should play a huge role.  AO has tested clean more than a couple times in the states and he's been a pro fighter since the 90s.  Lesnar came from wwe where there are countless drug scandals and people dying and he's the after thought.  

Again just for clarity i don't think either are currently juicing but if one of the two should be in **** over a late test it should be the guy with the history near and around it over the guy thats never had a failed test and has tested clean across the board in many countries and is the long standing veteran of the sport.

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

12.13.2011 | 4:10 PM ET

I read that Lesnar was not at home and was out hunting or some crap in Canada, not that I am defending him BECAUSE I definitely am not.  But this whole Reem situation is being blown out of proportion, I feel that passing a blood test is much better than a urine test any day of the week.

WAR REEM at UFC141

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.13.2011 | 4:15 PM ET

The main reason Overeem is getting harassed and Lesnar is not is because Overeem hasn't fought in a district that requires testing since 2007. Also the last time he fought in Nevada was in 2007 and at LHW. So the last time he was in CA and was tested by any commission he was 4 years younger and 36 lbs lighter.  Where Brock has passed test after test and has been around 280 since college. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

12.13.2011 | 4:46 PM ET

@lopati i hadn't heard that but i think its a less valid reason than being on a plane to see your sick mother, but both are understandable reasons really.  

Blood test will always trump a piss test.

@bigj are you forgetting his recent fights in strikeforces hwgp?

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

12.13.2011 | 4:48 PM ET

buentello rogers and werdum were all at heavy weight all in the us and all tested since 07

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

12.13.2011 | 4:55 PM ET

the only thing they could find, i heard, from his blood test was that he has been chowin down on a lot of 

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

12.13.2011 | 4:58 PM ET

@ibj6 that and he's got extremely high levels of awesome and badassery!

Bigj383
Bigj383

12.13.2011 | 5:08 PM ET

@piercedan, no I'm not Texas did not issue any official drug tests. SF claimed they did "independent drug tests" post fight (which I don't know if they were ever done or results ever issued) but the Texas commission did not test for any PEDs. They chose Texas for that exact reason so Barnett would have an easier time getting licensed. So no Overeem has not had an official commission test since 2007. 

Edit: I did forget about the Rogers fight though so he has been tested once since 2007. 

Edit#2: Also make it known I'm not accusing Alistair of Using Peds I'm simply explaining why Alistair is getting harassed and Lesnar isn't below are the main reason's listed by the commission. 

* Edited at 12.13.2011, 5:21 PM ET *

Bigj383
Bigj383

12.13.2011 | 5:12 PM ET

Here are the commissions objections

1. "Supposedly Overeem left town the same day (Nov 17) as the request for the test. The blood test was not indicative of any sort of abnormality, but was not a steroid test." From the NSAC

2.Overeem said that his test on the 7th was done by his own doctor, not a testing facility.

So 3. Now adding that within 72 hours Overeem has to drop a new urine sample in a testing facility the commission finds. Has to pass that test.

* Edited at 12.13.2011, 5:15 PM ET *

Piercerdan
Piercerdan

12.13.2011 | 5:18 PM ET

Well apparently I've been corrected.  I was under the impression that all his fights in the states were tested.  

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045

12.13.2011 | 6:24 PM ET

I think everyone that jumped on the failed test wagon should come in this thread and apologize..or I'm just going to hunt you done and make you post in here

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

lbj6
lbj6
  • Predictions:  3,615  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,025
  • Post Score: 210

12.13.2011 | 6:28 PM ET

@piercerdan, that's true. there were very high levels of those as well haha

"get outta my face man! i gotta go get drunk"-Rampage

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

12.13.2011 | 6:30 PM ET

He bought himself easily a month with that trip to holland. Even if he ended his cycle that day, that buys him more than enough time to get any PED's out of his system. I'm glad the fight isn't cancelled but some **** like this going down on his first fight with all of the suspicions already? In my personal opinion you'd have to be pretty naive to not see he takes ****.
Bigj383
Bigj383

12.13.2011 | 6:33 PM ET

According the Ariel Helwani Alistair is on a flight to England where he will have to take his urine test at a commission selected facility. As long as that test comes back clean he is good to go for the fight. 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?
  • Middle Easy : Israel Adesanya Reflects on His Iconic Rivlary with Alex Pereira: ‘I Just Knew That I Can Beat This Guy’
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry lauds Max Holloway for being in phenomenal shape compared to Justin Gaethje