Tapology Forums

Can We Stop Calling Everyone “GOAT”, Please?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Sabbath
Sabbath
  • Predictions:  1,861  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,437
  • Post Score: 239

11.24.2021 | 12:25 PM ET

This subject matter in particular pisses me off and makes me feel like I’m going insane cause I’m the only person I know who thinks about it. The term “GOAT” is total ********. Every time it’s said by Dana, or Rogan or some jackoff Jon Jones fan on Twitter, it means absolutely nothing, it’s just a marketing gimmick. What got me pissed off enough to talk about this subject in the first place was after Kamaru beat Colby in the rematch. Rogan went up to him and said “It’s clear you’re the greatest welterweight in the world” to which Kamaru then followed up with “I am the greatest welterweight of all time” like, what the ****?? Do I even have to dissect everything wrong with that statement? No, I don’t, because Kamaru knows GSP is better, Rogan knows GSP is better, you know what being called the greatest is? A way to market yourself, logic behind damned. 

And am I seriously the only one who thinks it’s legitimately silly to call fighters like Jones, GSP or Silva the GOAT, in a sport that isn’t even thirty years old yet? It took centuries, ******* CENTURIES, before boxing had their undisputed king of the sport, but you’re just gonna gift the crown to Kamaru now??? A guy who has two title defenses against a journeyman who didn’t deserve the shot on either occasion? ******* ridiculous. Think about the term: Greatest of All Time. As in, if you lived to see this guy, you were lucky, cause there will never be anyone like him again. Are any of the big three worthy of that accolade? Maybe, I don’t know cause the sport ISN’T EVEN THIRTY ******* YEARS OLD WHAT THE ****

I don’t even really know why I took the time to be upset over this so much that I decided to ***** and moan about it on a forum. I guess this kind of stuff just reminds me about the worst parts of being an MMA fan, being that it’s nowhere near as genuine as it used to be. Just a little over ten years ago, MMA was some gladiatorial event where nothing about it lied to you. You saw a man get head kicked and nothing about it was fake. When someone told you Fedor was the GOAT, you ******* believed it. Now with all the Twitter arguments, MMA “Journalism” and other various cancers that came with Dana finally winning and making the sport legitimate, it’s hard sometimes to recognize the sport for it’s roots. It’s so knee deep in it’s own ******** that saying the term GOAT has to come with an apostrophe in my eyes, there’s no genuine element to anything that’s said anymore, no character, just gimmicky ******** personas. Call me an old fart but I missed it when the sport had honesty.
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 2 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 17 hours, and 55 minutes from now.

Responses

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,252  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,242
  • Post Score: 137

11.24.2021 | 2:50 PM ET

Wow ok universe you win, I am in complete agreement and if this is a troll ima kick yo ass!
Honestly I ignore all GOAT topics aside from the whole yeah 3 legit opponents and now he's the greatest.
It is braindead luddite nonsense of course someone will study what the best do and improve it.
Best part is the guys they worship are all known cheaters wake up and smell the coffee!   

"Weasel Piss *********" Dan Hooker

AnthonyBrancato
AnthonyBrancato
  • Predictions:  9,797  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  642
  • Post Score: 58

12.08.2021 | 5:15 AM ET

How do you compare athletes (or teams) from different eras, even in the same sport, because sports almost always evolve drastically over time?

Football is probably the most egregious example: In 1977, NFL teams as a whole gained more yards rushing (144 yards per game) than passing (142 yards per game).

In recent years, however, the ratio has been 2-to-1 or more in favor of passing yards (in 2020 the respective averages were 118.9 yards rushing per game and 240.2 yards passing per game).

Also, where in 1977 the average NFL team scored 17.2 points per game, in 2020 the average NFL team scored 24.8 points per game.

"MMA Fan Since Season 2 Of The Ultimate Fighter"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video, results