Topic: UFC 271

UFC 271: Adesanya vs. Whittaker 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,827
  • Post Score: 47

10.08.2021 | 2:17 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 271
  • Saturday 02.12.2022 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Toyota Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Daniel Cormier, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $4,300,000
  • Attendance: 17,872
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: N/A | TV Ratings: 901,000 avg. viewers (ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 14
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Israel Adesanya   defeats   Robert Whittaker   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Tai Tuivasa   defeats   Derrick Lewis   via KO/TKO, Elbow   1:40 Round 2 of 3, 6:40 Total Bout Page
Jared Cannonier   defeats   Derek Brunson   via KO/TKO, Elbows   4:29 Round 2 of 3, 9:29 Total Bout Page
Renato Moicano   defeats   Alexander Hernandez   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:23 Round 2 of 3, 6:23 Total Bout Page
Bobby Green   defeats   Nasrat Haqparast   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Andrei Arlovski   defeats   Jared Vanderaa   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Casey O'Neill   defeats   Roxanne Modafferi   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Kyler Phillips   defeats   Marcelo Rojo   via Submission, Triangle-armbar   1:48 Round 3 of 3, 11:48 Total Bout Page
Carlos Ulberg   defeats   Fabio Cherant   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ronnie Lawrence   defeats   Mana Martinez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jacob Malkoun   defeats   AJ Dobson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Douglas Silva de Andrade   defeats   Sergey Morozov   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:34 Round 2 of 3, 8:34 Total Bout Page
Jeremiah Wells   defeats   Mike Mathetha   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:38 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Maxim Grishin   defeats   William Knight   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 21

JoseLobo
JoseLobo
  • Predictions:  2,772  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  171
  • Post Score: 212

02.10.2022 | 11:32 AM ET

Moreover

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 1942nd

4 years ago today: Yoel Romero vs Luke Rockhold

" Don’t ever doubt me again. Don’t you ever bully somebody. Don’t you ever talk about somebody and think you’re better than them.”"

J T M s i s h
J T M s i s h
  • Predictions:  215  |  68.4%
  • Forum Posts:  17
  • Post Score: 312

02.10.2022 | 12:13 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 1481st

Adesanya vs. Whittaker II
Israel Adesanya, DEC
Israel Adesanya - I get it, we all like Bobby Knuckles. He’s a very affable bloke. He’s down to earth, quite funny and one ******* hell of a fighter! The relationship these two fellas have athletically is eerily similar to that of Usman and Covington. Like Usman for Colby, if Izzy wasn’t there ol’ Bobby Knuckles would be champion. The Reaps is probably Izzy’s biggest test in the division - Cannonier being a decent second (and Till being third because I have a dream goddamit!). But let’s face it lads and lasses: this is the real world and Izzy is probably the greatest pure striker in the sport. The biggest difference here is that Izzy has since lost since their first meeting and Whittaker is of the belief that Jan just gave the world the blueprint to beat Izzy. Maybe…? I think size and strength had a lot to do with it too but wouldn’t it be great if Dr. Knuckles is right about this. Either way, I’ve got Izzy by decision. 🔴 60% (DEC 39% - FIN 21%) 🔵 40% (DEC 28% - FIN 12%)

Lewis vs. Tuivasa
Derrick Lewis, DEC
Derrick Lewis - Time for some big boys to cosplay as Godzilla and King Kong, only they’re both King Kong and they’re both Godzilla. This one will be a fun one. Three rounds in a co-main is actually less pressure for Derrick and it’s back at Houston. He 100% will see this as an opportunity to make amends for his performance against Gane. Tai ain’t no scrub, he’s got ******* horrible leg kicks and genuinely loves the job which is pretty disturbing - thanks though Tai, we appreciate you too. But I have this feeling that he’s going to have a holy **** moment when he gets to the octagon and sees the Black Beast in front of him. I really would rather Tai have a few more fights before getting a top 5 bloke, but the UFC like to rush things because money. I can see this going all the way. I can see Tai booting the piss out of Derrick’s leg. And obviously we can all see that famous Derrick Lewis uppercut finishing not just the fight, but all of space and time. 🔴 55% (DEC 20% - FIN 35%) 🔵 45% (DEC 13% - FIN 32%)

Cannonier vs. Brunson
Jared Cannonier, DEC
Jared Cannonier - **** me! If there was ever a fight that needed 5 rounds it’s this big bastard. This is going to be a technical battle of the takedown, the knockdown and the test of pure ******* will. Cannonier has excellent takedown defence. He’s also really good at creating space for himself on the back-foot by cutting angles and resetting instead of backing against the cage. Brunson has heavy hands but he needs this fight on the floor if he’s going to get some damage off. Cannonier fires ‘ARD leg kicks. Brunson has to counter these kicks with punches. I can see a potential knock down but Jared is a tough S.O.B and won’t just take his licks, he’ll get to his feet ASAP. I’m leaning Cannonier, possible stoppage but I reckon this goes all the way. 🔴 55% (DEC 30% - FIN 25%) 🔵 45% (DEC 25% - FIN 20%)

Phillips vs. Rojo
Kyler Phillips, SUB, R3
Kyler Phillips ?? - This is one of the closest fights on the card. Maybe even the closest! Rojo carries a ton of power but spends so much energy trying to knock his opponent’s head off his neck so he can do an impression of his favourite dinosaur as soon as possible (see Marcelo Rojo celebrations for details). Kyler is infinitely agile, but he spends so much time trying to live up to his nickname “The Matrix” that his gas tank dies before the end of round two. This is will absolutely be a banger for about 8-9 minutes. Kyler may have learned his lesson since his last fight and saves the Neo stuff for the middle of the bout. This is absolutely 50/50 for me. I reckon there’s a finish coming though. 🔴 50% (DEC 23% - FIN 27%) 🔵 50% (DEC 20% - FIN 30%)

Haqparast vs. Green
Bobby Green, DEC
Bobby Green - This is actually a pretty good matchup for King Green. Nasrat, though really good, doesn’t move that much and Bobby has one of the most bombastic entertaining fight styles in the promotion. Using that Philly Shell Guard, rolling off his opponent’s shots with his shoulders and shooting from the hip. It’s very difficult to see low shots coming at you and these lads and lasses do often talking about how the worst shots to take are the ones you don’t see coming. Bobby’s also really bloody difficult to hit. Constantly moving, his head never on the centre line except when he wants to tease a shot out of his opponent. Safest bet is this fight going the distance. Green should get it done. 🔴 60% (DEC 40% - FIN 20%) 🔵 40% (DEC 28% - FIN 12%)

Arlovski vs. Vanderaa
Andrei Arlovski, DEC
Andrei Arlovski - Vanderaa had a really fun fight with Justin Tafa, Vanderaa hits kind of hard, Vanderaa also has no ******* ground game at all. Arlovski is a goddamn ******’ veteran in the game. He doesn’t do the knock-down-drag-out wars anymore. He’s way more allusive, cunning and wise now, plus he’s on a bit of a roll at the moment being 4-1 in his last 5 only losing to Tom Aspinall (taking him to a second round - hasn’t been down yet in the UFC). I think the wily vet will get the nod from the judges. 🔴 50% (DEC 33% - FIN 17%) 🔵 50% (DEC 28% - FIN 22%)

Modafferi vs. O'Neill
Casey O'Neill, DEC
Casey O’Neill - Roxy is 100% Casey’s hardest test yet. Roxy is a ******* terminator - she just can’t get finished. Plus she’s an absolute beast in the grappling department. This is bad news bears for O’Neill as ALL of her wins have come by takedown and punch you until you quit or give up your neck. I would like Roxy to win as it’s her last fight and she was part of the OG women’s MMA movement. The thing is though, she probably won’t. I think Casey goes to the scorecards for the first time ever in her young UFC career and gets a split decision dub. 🔴 55% (DEC 45% - FIN 10%) 🔵 45% (DEC 40% - FIN 5%)

Perez vs. Schnell
Alex Perez, TKO, R2
Alex Perez - This was a close one. Originally booked for 269 at MSG until an apparent botched weigh cut for Schnell knocked the fight off the card - these two fellas have been looking to fist-**** each other’s faces for the past few months. I’m personally not that into the Flyweight division. There’s a few decent lads and lasses but the top few are so far above everyone else these fights just don’t feel that important. Anyway, Matt Schnell has good jiu jitsu and is calculated with his counters. Perez is a crazy bastard who throws with reckless abandon. Schnell could clip him mid-flurry but I’m doubtful. **** this fight though. 🔴 55% (DEC 22% - FIN 33%) 🔵 45% (DEC 30% - FIN 15%)

Knight vs. Grishin
William Knight, DEC
William Knight - This one will be ugly, hopefully it’ll be short. Maxim Grishin is a vet in the game, one of those “I’m here for a paycheque, let’s clinch for 15 minutes”. He’s got a win against Alexander Volkov back in M-1 but that was 12 years ago. **** this fight. Knight is very rarely the better fight in any of his fights, much like N’Gannou, he’s just really ******* strong and throws big concrete blocks at your face. Maxim could avoid the fight altogether for 15 minutes but the crowd will boo, Knight will hulk up and accidentally end Maxim’s UFC career. Either way I’ll be having a tea break during this one. Seriously, **** this fight. 🔴 60% (DEC 27% - FIN 33%) 🔵 40% (DEC 30% - FIN 10%)

Lawrence vs. Martinez
Ronnie Lawrence, SUB, R3
Ronnie Lawrence - This one would be an absolute war-banger-triple-lulz-ohmygeddon if Ronnie wasn’t allowed to take Mana down. BUT he is so this is easily the safest bet on the card. Ronnie maintains a pace that is unmatched among some of the best wrestlers on the roster. I’m pretty sure he racked up 20+ takedowns in just his last two fights against two tough MFers. Mana has bombs in his hands, but I can’t see him doing much with them when he’ll be busy trying to get back to his feet every 20 to 30 seconds. Lawrence by relentless pace 4evz babes. 🔴 70% (DEC 38% - FIN 32%) 🔵 30% (DEC 9% - FIN 21%)

Hernandez vs. Moicano
Alexander Hernandez, DEC
Alexander Hernandez - So Alex is a betting underdog in this bout ?? Okay, cool ‘cause he’s going to win. Moicano is excellent on the ground! That being said Alex has really good takedown defence and moves a lot, all the time and doesn’t slow down. He’s also a pretty ******* good counter striker so good luck getting near him. His only issue is his lack of combinations in his shots, the throws once then cuts an angle. He’ll also sit back too much and not get enough off. Every time he’s lost a decision it’s because he didn’t do enough with his shots. This isn’t something to really worry about with Moicano. So long as Hernandez stays on his feet and can put Renato’s back against the fence he should be able to get a decision here. There might be a possible finish considering Moicano’s last six fights haven’t made it to the scorecards. Something to ruminate on… 🔴 60% (DEC 36% - FIN 24%) 🔵 40% (DEC 12% - FIN 28%)

Ulberg vs. Cherant
Carlos Ulberg, TKO, R1
Carlos Ulberg - City Kickboxing has another lad on the card and this lad has one hell of an advantage in this fight. Not to **** on Fabio Cherant but he was never meant to be in the UFC. He got flying kneed by Aleksa Camur on DWCS, he’s only fought *mehs* on the regional scene and is 0-2 in the UFC - getting finished in the first round in both. Carlos carries some serious ******* power. The lads at City Kickboxing (including Izzy) say this fella kicks the hardest. He’s agile as **** and moves a LOT. Carlos’ only red herring his gas tank. However being that Fabio struggles to get out of the first round this might not be much of a problem. Ulberg by KO, round one. 🔴 70% (DEC 21% - FIN 49%) 🔵 30% (DEC 24% - FIN 6%)

Malkoun vs. Dobson
AJ Dobson, TKO, R1
AJ Dobson - I think he’s the bookie’s favourite at the moment, probably because Malkoun’s debut 18 second KO loss to Hawes is the only thing people know about him and AJ Dobson had a ******* fun one round DWCS fight where he became a human wrecking ball that had never heard of defence before. Malkoun won his second fight in the UFC against Abdul Razak Alhassan by clinch ******* him to death for a unanimous decision. He won’t be able to do that against Dobson (who trains with Matt ******* Brown). I think this is either a one round battle of the chins, or a 15 minute war of attrition. I’m banking on the first one. Dobson by KO. 🔴 60% (DEC 18% - FIN 42%) 🔵 40% (DEC 32% - FIN 8%)

Silva de Andrade vs. Morozov
Sergey Morozov, DEC
Sergey Morozov - Silva de Andrade’s ground game is seriously underrated. He throws with venom, can take a ******* shot and has that veteran game in him. So why not Douglas? The Petr Yan fight. Yan ****** him up. Took him down at will and mauled him. Morozov has a pretty similar style. He also trains out of ATT and has camped at Tiger Muay Thai a few times. This guy has a good chance to put on an absolute clinic and smash his way into ranking talks at Bantamweight. This one is most likely going to require scorecards. 🔴 45% (DEC 27% - FIN 18%) 🔵 55% (DEC 39% - FIN 16%)

Wells vs. Mathetha
Jeremiah Wells, TKO, R1
Jeremiah Wells - First of all, I couldn’t find ANY footage online of Mike “Blood Diamond” Mathetha of City Kickboxing’s MMA bouts. I found several of his Kickboxing fights however and he has a really strange style. His record is 51-13-0 with 6 KOs (3-0 in MMA). Wells is a strong wrestler with a gigantic amount of pop in his punches. Mathetha was originally set to go up against Orion Cosce (also a wrestler). City Kickboxing has a knack for developing stars with excellent takedown defence - thing is Wells debuted as a late replacement and knocked out Alves 30 seconds into the 2nd round. I think there’s a good chance for a finish here. 🔴 60% (DEC 24% - FIN 36%) 🔵 40% (DEC 22% - FIN 18%)

"Seeking that perfect prediction for bants and bragging rights (and hopefully a little extra cash)."

shaqalicious023
shaqalicious023
  • Predictions:  494  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  120
  • Post Score: 82

02.10.2022 | 12:21 PM ET

Analysis and predictions video for Balkan fans

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 675 Points   |   Tied for 816th

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,825  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  31,985
  • Post Score: 87

02.10.2022 | 12:25 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 7 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 432nd

How is grishin tapology underdog lol

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

HiDefff
HiDefff

02.10.2022 | 12:28 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 625 Points   |   Tied for 1330th

Because most of Tap just follows the majority when it comes to picks. If they are making their picks for a fight that they dont know much about the fighters they will just see where the tap majority is on and just blindly follow it. 

Its 99% of how people pick boxing cards on here. just pick who the other 90% are taking and submit then brag about your pick % 
RichOsama
RichOsama
  • Predictions:  1,793  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,167

02.10.2022 | 12:37 PM ET

J T M

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 2379th

Agree with every pick except Cannonier. Good picks my boy and good luck to you ! 
NgannouPunch
NgannouPunch
  • Predictions:  436  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  978
  • Post Score: 224

02.10.2022 | 12:39 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 1857th

Grishin is awful. 
RichOsama
RichOsama

02.10.2022 | 12:44 PM ET

I choose who I like , not who will most likely win. 
morrisonm2023
morrisonm2023
  • Predictions:  456  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 400

02.10.2022 | 12:55 PM ET

Derrick Lewis Old?

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 665 Points   |   Tied for 903rd

Derrick Lewis is not that old for a heavyweight and in addition to that his style is one that wouldn't really be effected by aging.
Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,252  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,244
  • Post Score: 137

02.10.2022 | 1:22 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 750 Points   |   Tied for 277th

Lewis is a very unhealthy person and been in some wars and been brutally kod plenty too.
However he seems to be holding up fine for mid-late 30s next year I suspect he will be old.
People always look at him with rose colored glasses rather funny speed is first thing to go.
Countering is reliant on speed and reflexes its a young mans game.
I had the same problem when Chuck Liddell hit his big career ending skid.

"Weasel Piss *********" Dan Hooker

JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  12,432  |  72.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,508
  • Post Score: 13

02.10.2022 | 1:23 PM ET

NgannouPunch

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 625 Points   |   Tied for 1367th

your record is awful    lmaaoooooooooooo

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,389  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,968
  • Post Score: 172

02.10.2022 | 1:40 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 1 Perfect, 595 Points   |   Tied for 1735th

when did Lewis get "brutally KO'd"?? I must have missed it.

"🏴 No Quarter Given 🏴"

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,252  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,244
  • Post Score: 137

02.10.2022 | 1:45 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 750 Points   |   Tied for 277th

Matt mitrione one was pretty brutal but quick, mark hunt one was fairly bad reffing also kod twice by shawn jordan and effortlessly exposed by junior dos santos his only merciful ko loss and gane drubbed him plenty for lasting damage.

"Weasel Piss *********" Dan Hooker

JReynolds47
JReynolds47
  • Predictions:  12,432  |  72.4%
  • Forum Posts:  7,508
  • Post Score: 13

02.10.2022 | 1:49 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 625 Points   |   Tied for 1367th

yea you missed it. because youre a casual

"Jarno Errens, Damir Hadzovic"

TARTARA
TARTARA
  • Predictions:  53,763  |  69.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,186
  • Post Score: 65

02.10.2022 | 1:52 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 2173rd

L☻L !

"KURZHAAR - Tomorrow Never Comes Until It's Too Late"

JoseLobo
JoseLobo
  • Predictions:  2,772  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  171
  • Post Score: 212

02.10.2022 | 2:56 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 1942nd

my record is awful... i'm a rookie... William Knight via destruction

" Don’t ever doubt me again. Don’t you ever bully somebody. Don’t you ever talk about somebody and think you’re better than them.”"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

02.10.2022 | 3:01 PM ET

Idk those aren’t really brutal ko’s. The hunt and gane ones were him quitting cuz he was tired. The really bad ones like Jordan and mitrione were so long ago they don’t really have much of an impact. For HW, Derrick lewis has very mild ko losses tbh. Pretty much every other HW who’s been ko’ed has very bad losses like Sakai or blaydes; both dudes have been brutally ko’ed multiple times

* Edited at 02.10.2022, 3:02 PM ET *

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

02.10.2022 | 3:11 PM ET

Also not getting William knight hype. He has a 36% striking defense and is gonna be very small compared to grishin. Yeah he doesn’t hit hard but he’s very hard to ko and isn’t gonna quit once he gets rocked like meinifeild 

RichOsama
RichOsama

02.10.2022 | 3:15 PM ET

Stop sleeping on knight . Dude is young and hungry. And I meant young as in still a fresh face in the fight world . 

* Edited at 02.10.2022, 3:22 PM ET *

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

02.10.2022 | 3:22 PM ET

If he ko’s grishin then I’ll be on the train. I still wasn’t convinced by the meinfeild fight. Alonzo gave up after getting knocked down. Also 33 isn’t young 

* Edited at 02.10.2022, 3:22 PM ET *

Page 21

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• PFL 3 Tapology coverage is now live
  • In between bouts, waiting for next fight to begin.
  • Join the PFL 3 live discussion
  • PFL 3 features 12 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Wintrust Arena in Chicago, Illinois