Topic: Bellator 272

Bellator 272: Pettis vs. Horiguchi

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,824
  • Post Score: 47

10.06.2021 | 2:40 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
Bellator 272
  • Friday 12.03.2021 at 07:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Showtime
  • Promotion: Bellator MMA
  • Ownership: Bellator Sport Worldwide, LLC
  • Venue: Mohegan Sun Arena
  • Enclosure: Cage
  • TV Announcers: Mauro Ranallo, John McCarthy
  • Ring Announcer: Michael C. Williams
  • Post-Fight Interviews: John McCarthy
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Sergio Pettis   defeats   Kyoji Horiguchi   via KO/TKO, Spinning Back Fist   3:24 Round 4 of 5, 18:24 Total Bout Page
Jeremy Kennedy   defeats   Emmanuel Sanchez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Josh Hill   defeats   Jared Scoggins   via KO/TKO, Overhand Right   0:56 Round 2 of 3, 5:56 Total Bout Page
Johnny Eblen   defeats   Collin Huckbody   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:11 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Alexander Shabliy   defeats   Bobby King   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Kai Kamaka III   defeats   John De Jesus   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Levan Chokheli   defeats   Vinicius de Jesus   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Justin Montalvo   defeats   Jacob Bohn   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mike Hamel   defeats   Killys Mota   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Spike Carlyle   defeats   Dan Moret   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:58 Round 3 of 3, 12:58 Total Bout Page
Kyle Crutchmer   defeats   Oliver Enkamp   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 27

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

12.05.2021 | 10:42 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 629th

@Tioken OK. So Jimbob Mcsinohater, who is a gold-standard imbecile and absolute ************* spits in your GF's face because she looks Chinese (which is obviously ******** on so many levels I don't even know where to begin talking about them all) but isn't, and on the basis of this you decide to pick up the mantle against racism broadly.

Here's the thing; that guy is an outlier. A rare exception. And so are the people who hurl insults at her. I'd wager far more don't than do, however. I have no idea if your partner is American or not, or was born in the US, but unless she's from Japan or South Korea or possibly Malaysia (though that really depends on one's bank account) she is better placed to enjoy a quality of life and rate of life satisfaction in the US than any Asian nation in existence. I'm not saying what happened to her is therefore justified, or that you shouldn't be incredibly pissed off about it. I'm saying it could be worse, and everyone can benefit from some perspective when it comes to these things.

What mob mentality--where? Because I'm really not seeing a strong anti-asian base anywhere in the US. There are some racists in the US, but the US is not a racist country by the standards of the world, and nor is it a misogynistic nor a racist culture. And it never will be. There will never be a fascist putsch in the US of the kind(s) that occurred during the modernist era. Ever. Forget about it. Rule it out. Not only will that never happen in the US, it will never happen again in Europe either, in the same way there will never be witch trials or another industrial revolution. The conditions that made those things possible no longer exist. There is no fascist threat. What there is is a fecal media culture telling people there is, and a strange soviet-esque power creep towards a kind of technocratic corporatocracy. 

If there are ever death camps again, people will not be sent to them on the basis of ethnicity. Well, outside of China that is. They will be sent to them on the basis of making personal choices which do not align with corporate interests, and it will be done under the guise of moral service.

If you live to be 135 years old, there will still be as many ****-flinging ****tards who do and say things as bad or worse as what your partner has experienced in both familiar and new multivariate ways. It's said that ingenuity is the greatest human resource. That may be true. But if it is, it's also true that Human stupidity is our most abundant resource.

Obviously it is not moral to spit in someone's face because one believes them to be Chinese. Or anything. Honestly if I were king anybody who did that would be thrown out of a Helicopter. But what do you intend to do, really? Create a not-for-profit? Flying made a throwaway remark intended to be critical of the current state of Asian MMA. It's partially but not completely valid.  For example I personally think Yan is on balance the best fighter in the world right now. P4P # 1. But a quick survey of the MMA landscape proves pretty equivocally that there's not a whole lot of talent coming out of Asia generally.

The point is, what flying said was only very mildly racist, and him having said it does not make him an authentically or deeply racist person. He did not attack anyone you know personally,  was critical of Asians only in a very limited capacity, and I wonder if you would have reacted the same way if he'd said all Armenian fighters suck, or Indian fighters ( India is Asia but you get my meaning) or Russian fighters suck or insert x ethnicity fighters suck.

Because I doubt it. You were incensed because your significant other is Asian, and the comment was directed at Asian fighters--as though her experiences and yours here are somehow analogous, which they are not in any meaningful way. If it hadn't been you'd not have given a **** at all. Is something only immoral enough to warrant a reaction from you if it is only relevant to your immediate sphere of personal interest? Is your reasoning really limited to: Girlfriend is Asian. Racist dip**** spits at girlfriend because he thinks she is Chinese. Guy on forum makes comment critical of Asian fighters. Rage at guy on forum for being racist?

Because as a thought process that's no more nuanced, really, then what flying said--or indeed even those dip****s who scream 'China Virus!' at your SO when she's trying to save their lives--and should probably just be thrown down the elevator shaft. Context matters, intent matters. It's important to stop and consider the scope and scale and relevance of things. Nobody is doing this enough now. I think it has to do with the compression of time. It's much faster to just resolve things by assessing them on their surface value, reduce them to facsimiles and denote them as simply bad or good without any kind of frame of reference to actual harm caused. But it sure does make for a lot of  unnecessary animosity and absurdity in the world.

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,943
  • Post Score: 247

12.06.2021 | 12:54 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 336th

Holy **** you wrote a book!

"🌽⚽️"

Hadrian Caesar
Hadrian Caesar
  • Predictions:  904  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,114
  • Post Score: 338

12.06.2021 | 4:06 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 304th

Japanese regionals is actually pretty decent, like Dream but thats mostly it for Asia. The Chinese regional scene is pretty abysmal and thats why so many Chinese fighters in the UFC suck. For every wei lei zhang and Song Yadong we get a 3-3 fella. UFC need to stop chasing it so hard and actually let the scene develop, maybe focus on Japan since them ignoring it infuriates me so much

And i forgot about my boy Mansour Barnoui in ROAD even if he hasn't fought in 2 years, Rizin is actually really good, they just can't help but do a freakshow fight every once in a while. Kape and and Prochazka are both potential champs imo and i'd love to see guys like Roberto de souza and Juntaro Ushiku in a bigger promotion. Even ONE is largely ignoring Japan going for China and Thailiand so the market is open. Bellator are going for Europe, UFC China and mexico, ONE South asia and who the **** cares about PFL. If anyone has a couple million quid could you give me the funding to make my own mma promotion for Japan ha

* Edited at 12.06.2021, 4:17 AM ET *

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once." - Julius Caesar.

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

12.06.2021 | 9:03 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 57th

To me PFL is the pinnacle of MMA and the Bellator million dollar tournaments too, it must be all downhill from here as our economies collapse in a hyperinflationary/deflationary  whirlwind and UFC cuts back all fighter pay and bonuses... I dunno it feels like the pinnacle to me

I wish I could watch all Asian MMA apart from ONE but I dunno where/how to watch it, UFC used to have Pancrase on Fightpass... There is Shootboxing too which is epic but dunno how to watch

* Edited at 12.06.2021, 9:04 AM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,811  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  31,959
  • Post Score: 87

12.06.2021 | 10:35 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 660th

one full cards are always on YouTube on the bleacher report channel. If not, then its on TNT but they haven't done that in a while

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,560
  • Post Score: 275

12.06.2021 | 5:10 PM ET

Let's face it. Whether it's a Brazilian fighter, Chinese fighter, Nigerian fighter, or any other nationality or race, it can either be harmless or hurtful when you label them like that. It's all about the context of how and why you said it. 

Please try and think about what you say and how you say it, and to try to avoid involving race in a hurtful, negative, or simply unnecessary way.

"I live, I die, I live again."

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,777
  • Post Score: 273

12.06.2021 | 5:20 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 450 Points   |   Tied for 228th

Look

@Tioken could kick my ass and send me to the hospital

I think he can get over my stupid comments, but noted Gregory. 

* Edited at 12.06.2021, 5:20 PM ET *

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Tieoken
Tieoken
  • Predictions:  1,977  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,620
  • Post Score: 313

12.07.2021 | 12:05 AM ET

Predictions: 2 of 2 Winners, 0 Perfect, 100 Points   |   Tied for 1039th

Yeah, I talked to Fish on his board cause I didn’t want to clog it. Don’t censor anyone on my behalf, I got riled up and was picking an argument. Still believe in what I said, but I wouldn’t want anyone banned or penalized. Makes no sense to me.

"I’m here to snatch necks and cash checks" - Darrick Minner

Page 27

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia misses weight, will still fight Devin Haney
  • UFC.com : Julian Erosa's Monumental March
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 ticket prices: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler could break promotion's gate record
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’
  • MMAFighting.com : Brendan Loughnane details ‘intense’ training sessions with Conor McGregor ahead of PFL return
  • MMA Mania : UFC Trumps Boxing, Named MVP Of Combat Sports
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Weighs in on Herb Dean Controversy at UFC 300, Would ‘Love’ His Next Fight to Be Against Sean Strickland
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302's Sean Strickland on Paulo Costa: 'I'm going to make that dirty Brazilian bleed'
  • Bad Left Hook : Morrell moves to 175, Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo
  • Bad Left Hook : David Morrell Jr moves to 175, Edgar Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo Alvarez
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul responds to Ronda Rousey criticism: ‘I don’t think she’s a hater’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I see it being an early night’: Haney doesn’t expect Garcia to last the distance
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal proud to see fans bring Miami heat on Nate Diaz: 'He definitely felt it'
  • Middle Easy : Frustrated Ketlen Vieira Believes She is More ‘Deserving’ of a UFC Title Fight Than Kayla Harrison
  • MMA Mania : Chandler Reveals Plans For McGregor’s ‘Hurt Leg’
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter eats head kick after failing to exploit grounded fighter rule
  • MMA Junkie : Kyoji Horiguchi, Sergio Pettis to rematch at Rizin 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Sergio Pettis vs. Kyoji Horiguchi 2 announced for RIZIN 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi lashes out at PFL over lack of communication, refusal to book him since buying Bellator
  • MMA Junkie : PFL heads to Mohegan Sun, Salt Lake City, Sioux Falls for second half of 2024 regular season