Topic: UFC 270

UFC 270: N'Gannou vs. Gane

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,370
  • Post Score: 47

09.27.2021 | 8:34 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 270
  • Saturday 01.22.2022 at 07:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Honda Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $5,290,213
  • Attendance: 17,387
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: N/A | TV Ratings: 421,000 avg. viewers (ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Francis NGannou   defeats   Ciryl Gane   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Deiveson Figueiredo   defeats   Brandon Moreno   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Michel Pereira   defeats   Andre Fialho   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Said Nurmagomedov   defeats   Cody Stamann   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   0:47 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Michael Morales   defeats   Trevin Giles   via KO/TKO, Counter Right to Ground Strikes   4:06 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Victor Henry   defeats   Raoni Barcelos   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jack Della Maddalena   defeats   Pete Rodriguez   via KO/TKO, Counter Left   2:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tony Gravely   defeats   Saimon Oliveira   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Matt Frevola   defeats   Genaro Valdéz   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   3:15 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Vanessa Demopoulos   defeats   Silvana Gómez Juárez   via Submission, Armbar   2:25 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jasmine Jasudavicius   defeats   Kay Hansen   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 23

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,520  |  67.5%
  • Forum Posts:  31,647
  • Post Score: 87

01.16.2022 | 12:46 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 1189th

I think ilia will win but only 7% on jourdain is crazy. He’s really good on the feet (I would say better) and is a black belt himself. His poor tdd will cost him the fight tho

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

flamingobambi
flamingobambi

01.16.2022 | 12:54 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 450 Points   |   Tied for 424th

N'Gannou vs. Gane
Francis N'Gannou, TKO, R2
Never been more charged for a heavyweight fight. Ciryl Gane is better all around but I think Ngannou is proficient enough to work setups and find openings. I don't think he'll KO him with one shot but he'll hurt him really badly with every connection like Aldo was doing Font.

Moreno vs. Figueiredo III
Brandon Moreno, TKO, R3
Figueiredo will look much better due to his style conformance with that of Cejudo's (karate style entries) so I think he can get some valuable advice. But if he doesn't get put him away early I think Moreno will make his reads and accumulate a finish. I think Fig will be more willing to not get submitted so the volume will pile and Moreno will finish him via strikes in an amazing fight.

Topuria vs. Jourdain
Charles Jourdain, DEC
More of who I want to win rather than who I think will win

Morales vs. Giles
Michael Morales, DEC
Excited for Michael's debut. I think he does enough in controlling the fight to win here.

Maddalena vs. Rodriguez
Jack Della Maddalena, TKO, R1
well

Erison
Erison
  • Predictions:  1,656  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  4,896
  • Post Score: 227

01.16.2022 | 12:54 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 1876th

I think Gane is going to win this, and people will be shocked when its not even competitive. 

I don't believe the "Patient Ngannou" hype. I just think Stipe is two fights from retirement, and is risking becoming a Bisping with his eyes. 
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

01.16.2022 | 1:00 AM ET

Idk I was watching the Lewis vs gane fight again and all I could think was if Lewis was as quick or as athletic as Ngannou he could bomb gane here. Don’t forget Ngannou has 2 inches on what is already a freakishly long reach of 81 inches

Erison
Erison

01.16.2022 | 1:06 AM ET

Both are listed at 6'4 with 83inch reaches. Gane can go strength for strength, has every skill advantage, has the conditioning advantage. Picking Francis, you're betting on a first or second round KO of a fighter we've never seen hurt. In the tape of sparring (not reliable) Gane is basically toying with him. I really think if you can just remove the Francis mystique, his Mike Tyson aura, and just match them up, Gane is better.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

01.16.2022 | 1:13 AM ET

Well yeah that’s pretty obvious. Gabe is one of the most skilled HWs we’ve ever seen I just don’t think you can beat that beast power. Idc about sparring clips for both sides; they aren’t the same fighters they were when they were partners. Gane could be the same level he is now in those clips and Francis could be totally different 

Erison
Erison

01.16.2022 | 1:20 AM ET

Every heavyweight hits hard. Francis is scary, but his limitations are clear IMO. He windmills punches. Always has, and gets away with it because of the power. But his form has never been great. You can see those punches coming. I trust that Gane will get out of the way. That guy is hard to hit clean.

And not that I think Gane will look to do anything Stipe did in the first fight with Francis, I do think it's valuable intel that we already saw a high IQ fighter implement a clear gameplan to drown Francis and drag him into deep waters to sap his gas tank. And by the end his power wasn't even scary. 

There's a Planet Earth segment where a desperate polar bear attacks a walrus, when it normally wouldn't because thats a risky fight. And the walruses fight it off. And by the end the polar bear is so bloody and weak, even though its still alive, the walruses just go back to what they were doing. They're not even afraid of it anymore. Thats gonna be Francis if this fight goes into the third round.

* Edited at 01.16.2022, 1:21 AM ET *

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

01.16.2022 | 1:23 AM ET

It’s either first round ko Ngannou or gane decision. You can be as technical as you want but you can still get ko’ed. Ngannou is a better, more athletic Derrick lewis I think he’ll have success

Erison
Erison

01.16.2022 | 1:24 AM ET

"More athletic Derrick Lewis" is not the formula to beat Cyril Gane, lol
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

01.16.2022 | 1:30 AM ET

I just think he’ll win. He’s a good fighter people just think it’s all because of power. He’s not like a Derrick lewis in that he’s only gonna land three shots. He’s not gonna be timid and honestly who cares about technique when he can windmill and clip gane. Just because we haven’t seen it happen doesn’t mean it won’t 

Erison
Erison

01.16.2022 | 1:47 AM ET

Sure, it could happen. But when I'm trying to break it down in my head and one guy does literally everything better "but Francis could clip him" I think I've got to use all that evidence to guess that the guy with more ways to win who can do everything better... will. 

Hell, I think Curtis Blaydes beats Derrick Lewis 90 times out of 100 for all these same reasons. And I think on a long enough timeline, picking the better fighter to win is the right idea. Every so often your guy gets starched. But it doesn't mean the formula's wrong.
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,816
  • Post Score: 141

01.16.2022 | 4:10 AM ET

@Ayylmaonnaise

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 249th

Bro I think 7% is generous! Lol. I would put his chances closer to zero
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

01.16.2022 | 4:12 AM ET

@Ayylmaonnaise

I think he is bro. I think he is. Time will tell.
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

01.16.2022 | 4:19 AM ET

@Erison

I don't think Cyril was anywhere near just toying with him in sparring. I think they were practicing certain techniques and very obviously pulling punches. I remember Francis hitting him with one really nice body shot that would have crumpled him in real life. Bottom line, he was getting hit, by a reduced power reduced speed Ngannou. I think people who say Francis is not technical or has no skills just don't get his striking style. I think he is actually very skilled, very fast and very powerful. True he would get smashed in a boxing match against someone like Fury, but in an MMA fight? I think he has a very very good chance of KOing Gane. In fact I would put the odds at a 60% chance. 

As for the footage, I think ppl need to stop reading anything into that. Those are selected clips of a short period of time and who knows the context? Had Francis finished hours of gym work before sparring? Were they preparing for a Gane fight or a Francis fight (obviously one would be helping the other more in that case), was someone injured at the time? Was it the first time they sparred? Or were they already familiar with each other? Who knows! And I always find it suspicious when someone releases a short segment and then threatens to release the rest but never does!

Also if you relate sparring to a real fight it will never be accurate. What happens in a gym is not at all indicative of what will happen in a fight. Not even close. I think anyone who has sparred knows this.

Anyway even in those clips Francis looked fine to me. I think he wins this.

* Edited at 01.16.2022, 4:21 AM ET *

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

01.16.2022 | 4:24 AM ET

Let me put one more view point on the table. If Francis has a very large power advantage and is not worried about Ganes power coming back at him what is to stop him walking Gane down and smashing him? Take downs? I doubt it. Leg kicks? I doubt it. And Francis is fast!

Personally I think Gane is being rushed way to fast, lets look at his actual wins shall we? And not forget he has actually had very little MMA experience.

Pessosa, Mayes, Boser - cmon
JDS - would get KOd by a stiff breeze
Rozenstruik - was a good win but not an impressive one to me, we all know how JR can do nothing for long periods of time and is very low volume
Volkov - Low volume fight and Volkov does not have a lot of power
Lewis - Fighting in his hometown was very obviously not himself, at least to me

Put Francis against any of those fighters now, who would win?

This will be in a bigger cage which is one factor, if this had been in the Apex I would say Francis was a lock.

Again just my thoughts, not telling anyone who to bet, and I like Gane a lot. I just think Francis is better

* Edited at 01.16.2022, 4:32 AM ET *

Volatyle
Volatyle
  • Predictions:  495  |  55.8%
  • Forum Posts:  153
  • Post Score: 58

01.16.2022 | 8:57 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 330 Points   |   Tied for 2168th

Seriously, how is UFC not embarassed of their app? It's still got Alves/Della listed and that fight was cancelled over a week ago.
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

01.16.2022 | 9:41 AM ET

Anyone who uses that sparring footage as reasoning for who is going to win is an idiot. It’s put out there to change narratives and make it seem like one is better but who cares. Go off of actual fight tape and deduce who is better from watching fights. Not sparring footage

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

01.16.2022 | 9:42 AM ET

Also gane is definitely not being rushed. He made that obvious when the last two guys he’s beaten have had triple the experience he has. Also that volkov fight was pretty high volume; combined 250 sig strikes 

* Edited at 01.16.2022, 9:44 AM ET *

Standard_Split
Standard_Split
  • Predictions:  12  |  83.3%
  • Forum Posts:  178
  • Post Score: 167

01.16.2022 | 9:58 AM ET

These odds are getting juicy on Ngannou....already up to +127. 
Starting to remind me of when he fought Cain and his odds rolled up to over +200. Everyone thought Cain was gonna wrestle f*** him into oblivion, and he sent Cain to the shadow realm in a minute.
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

01.16.2022 | 9:59 AM ET

Tbf this is a little different because Cain had been marred with injuries and hadn’t fought in like 3 years but yeah I get what you mean. Gane is in his prime and has looked flawless so far thi

Page 23

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor opens up about fighting future: 'It's to the grave'
  • Bad Left Hook : Walters turns back clock, beats Adorno in ProBox main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Nicholas Walters turns back clock, beats Joseph Adorno in ProBox main event
  • Middle Easy : Georges St-Pierre Reveals Why He Retired: ‘I Thought Maybe I Had Cancer’
  • MMA Mania : White Vows Wife Slap ‘Will Never Happen Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Reaction to Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headlining UFC Saudi Arabia
  • Bad Left Hook : Cuadras out, Moloney vs Guevara set for May 12
  • Bad Left Hook : Carlos Cuadras out, Andrew Moloney vs Pedro Guevara set for May 12
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BTL LIVE now
  • MMA Junkie : Despite failed booking, Vicente Luque thinks he'll eventually fight Ian Machado Garry
  • MMAFighting.com : Georges St-Pierre explains advantages he’d have in Khabib Nurmagomedov matchup: ‘I would have beat him’
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Her ‘Scary’ Ordeal With Pneumonia After UFC 299
  • MMA Junkie : Jamall Emmers: Nate Landwehr being 'the opposite of me' will make for exciting UFC on ESPN 54 fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Renato Moicano fires back at Paddy Pimblett callout: ‘He’s a free paycheck’
  • MMA Mania : Bookies Back ‘Borz’ To Beat ‘Reaper’
  • MMA Junkie : John Dodson laments UFC pushing him to 135, thinks he'd knock out Alexandre Pantoja 'right now'
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev For No. 1 Contender To Headline UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : John Kavanagh questions Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul: ‘I don’t think someone approaching 60 needs to be fighting’
  • Bad Left Hook : Predictions: Tszyu vs Fundora, Romero vs Cruz, and MUCH more!
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC North American West Coast Trials 2024 Full Preview