Tapology Forums

Mikey Tapology Boxing Corner!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,754  |  73.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,106
  • Post Score: 300

09.26.2021 | 6:27 PM ET

Alright folks, 

As you might know I'm Tapology Boxing editor. I know the majority of you guys are here for MMA, so was I originally. But for the last year or 2 there is a little more interest in Boxing on the site. 

So here's a place to talk boxing. 

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

Responses Page 52

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

05.18.2022 | 11:59 PM ET

Sad news

Unfortunately there's been more tragic events in boxing recently. 

In Glasgow, Scotland last Friday Night Scotlands Female World Champion defended her belt for the 1st time against Mexican veteran Alejandra Ayala

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/bouts/639431-rankin-vs-ayala-hannah-rankin-vs-alejandra-fenix-ayala

Ayala wasnt exactly a walkover opponent with a record of 14-5 but if you dug a little deeper you'd have seen that nearly all of her wins were against people with losing records and barely any wins and the times she'd stepped up she'd lost.
Still, not a giant mismatch. Also Rankin only had 2 KO wins from 11 wins. The actual fight was close to start with, Ayala won a couple early rounds but Rankin took over around midway and the referee stopped the fight in the 10th with Rankin landing a flurry a punches with Ayala against the ropes.
It was a standing stoppage, there was no real clean concussive blow and Ayala was standing for the result being read. No obvious signs. But, unfortunately, she collapsed in the changing rooms, was rushed to A&E and had to have emergency treatment for bleed on the brain. Ayala, at the last I heard, is stable but in an induced coma.
Prayers, thoughts, good wishes for her recovery. 

Also in Scotland in April on a small dinner show a similar incident took place. A 6 round fight between 6-0 Grant Quigley and 1-0-2 Luis Palmer ended in the 5th round when Quigley caught Palmer with a clean hard punch.
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/bouts/653265-a-celebration-of-kash-farooq-grant-quigley-vs-luis-palmer

The damage was instantly noticeable with this incident. Palmer was taken straight to A&E from the ring and was also placed in an induced coma.
The last I heard he was in a critical but stable condition. I have found it hard to find any more information about Luis Palmer.
Please hope and pray he recovers. 

Lastly, in Germany this weekend a fight between 8-0 Musa Yamak and 19-19 Hamza Wandara also ended in tragic and also strange circumstances 
https://boxrec.com/en/event/853659/2831666

The bout was the standard, local guy vs journeyman, straight forward win to begin with. Only at the start of the 3rd round Yamak collapsed and had a Heart Attack and he died later that day at the hospital. 

Sorry for posting such sad news. It's just a reminder that boxing is not a game. It can quite literally be life or death. 

Hopefully the 2 boxers placed in comas can recover. Please either pray or just send positive wishes out to all involved 

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,943
  • Post Score: 247

05.19.2022 | 1:20 AM ET

Those stories are horrible to hear. Also can't imagine to burden of hearing your opponent is in a coma and might die. I remember watching a doc about Ray Mancini and how his kids got bullied for the Kim fight, some of those bullies were even calling him a murderer. Sad stuff : (

* Edited at 05.19.2022, 2:40 AM ET *

"🌽⚽️"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

05.19.2022 | 2:36 AM ET

Just as well it wasn't a semicolon
Cheeseball
Cheeseball

05.19.2022 | 2:42 AM ET

@Baldric Eggling

Lol took me a second to get this comment. Fixed it.

"🌽⚽️"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,536
  • Post Score: 262

05.19.2022 | 4:34 AM ET

Tim Hauge a fighter who had multiple UFC fight died doing boxing also,  And Gerold Mcquellin got paralised, Combat sport is no game, It dangerous, We all want to ignore the brain damage in the sports of brain punching, Becuase Ignorance is bliss

"Quack quack quack"

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

05.19.2022 | 7:25 AM ET

Damn sorry to hear that.... I have known a good few boxers throughout my life, friends or friends of friends, mostly amateurs veterans (but some of them had well over 50 fights) and a few of them, you can see how they have take some hits and wear and tear from their fighting.. One of them used to talk really loud, almost shouting, whenever he would speak.. ... It seems you leave a piece(s) of yourself in the ring for the love of the game... Sometimes you even lose your life..... R.I.P/Get well soon

* Edited at 05.19.2022, 7:28 AM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420

05.19.2022 | 4:20 PM ET

I also say, I hate when fans get too disrespectful with fighter for the reason that it a huge risk to their brains, And they get underpaid, To go to far with chatting **** while were sitting on the coach is stupid, Espaccly when they call fighters *****, I think this go for Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, MMA and even pro wresling, Pro wresling is scripted, But they hit for real, And the Chris Benoit story is complely ******

I think that my biggest problem with Petr Yan fans, They're went to far with Sterling also,

"Quack quack quack"

Cheeseball
Cheeseball

05.19.2022 | 8:24 PM ET

Half of Yan's fanbase are keyboard warriors who would go cry to their mommies if they got hit with the knee Aljo did.

"🌽⚽️"

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

05.20.2022 | 1:53 PM ET

Good debate

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Cheeseball
Cheeseball

05.20.2022 | 2:10 PM ET

Wow that guy is a clown. He clearly has a bias towards football and rugby and I highly doubt he's ever watched a boxing match in full. Also that point about Mike Tyson was really disrespectful, Mike's grown significantly as a person since that incident guilty or not.

"🌽⚽️"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420

05.21.2022 | 2:58 PM ET

Is Anderson Silva and Floyd Mayweather boxing today agaist random people, I rather watch that then the UFC this week, how long would that be

"Quack quack quack"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

05.21.2022 | 3:04 PM ET

Yes bud. That is happening. I'm not sure of the details tho. 
The event was cancelled last week because the president dies and the country is in mourning for 40 days. 
I didn't think it was happening this weekend, I didn't know until yesterday. So I don't have much information, details on how to watch. 
I think they were wanting people to pay for the PPV using Crypto?!! 

Cheeseball
Cheeseball

05.21.2022 | 3:11 PM ET

Ewww crypto bros competing infront of billionaires inside a morally questionable country. Honestly, I wouldn't care about this event if Silva wasn't a part of it.

"🌽⚽️"

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

05.28.2022 | 7:43 AM ET

https://www.grailed.com/listings/18803757-streetwear-x-vintage-vintage-00s-jack-johnson-boxing-champion-tee?g_aidx=Listing_by_date_added_production&g_aqid=2e351d2e094c1e0b9a2f6d63d110e877

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420

05.29.2022 | 4:50 PM ET

I got a random question, I never watch women boxing before, But how bad is women boxing???. Holly Holms is one of the best boxer in women history, Despite her boxing being one of the worst part of her game,  And you should think as one of the best boxers in women history she have better hands, And not resort to holding her opponent agaist the fence for most of the fight, And a big part of her stand up is kicks also

* Edited at 05.29.2022, 4:52 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

05.29.2022 | 4:57 PM ET

@Duck it's better than it used to be, but it's still pretty bad.

Here's Holly during her Boxing career getting beaten up and KO'ed. One of the worst late stoppages I've ever seen.

* Edited at 05.29.2022, 4:57 PM ET *

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

05.29.2022 | 5:00 PM ET

Eh, Holly Holm isn't 1 of the greatest female boxers, not skill wise anyway. She was from an era were the level of skill and competition was pretty ****e!!!  She boxed in the early 2000s. The women from today would beat the **** outta Holly.
It's not her fault, she was 1 of the best of her time, just her time was a steaming pile!

A few years after women were allowed to box in the 2012 Olympics the standard has hugely improved.
Women now have long amateur careers and there is more and more money available (still peanuts compared to the men) and with more money comes better talent.

Women's boxing today is kinda like Women's MMA. You've got some elite talent at the top(Katie Taylor, Claressa Shields Amanda Serrano, Seniesa Estrada are the cream of the crop) There's a small group of very good. There's a lot of ****. But there's a new crop of youngsters that are better than ever. 

* Edited at 05.29.2022, 5:00 PM ET *

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

05.29.2022 | 5:06 PM ET

Actually, I guess Holly is 1 of the best women of all time. She was 1 of the very best in her era, its not her fault that her era was ****e!!! She's actually being inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame this year.

Like I said the standard of women boxing has massively improved, today's prospects would destroy yesterday's champions. 

Some better women from Holly's era are Lucia Rijker(she actually KO'd a male back in the day) Ann Wolfe  was a beast (she has 1 of the best KO's of all time, actually I'll post it)
People always mention Laila Ali (obviously because she is Muhammad Ali daughter, she had a huge fight back in the day vs Joe Fraziers daughter!!! Haha, it was terrible!!!) and Christy Martin(she used to knock out soccer mom's on Mike Tyson undercards) 

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

05.29.2022 | 5:08 PM ET

Ann Wolfe, overhand Right from Hell!!!

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

05.29.2022 | 5:08 PM ET

@Mikey Wolfe was indeed a beast. She retired before her time IMO.

Page 52

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : David Morrell Jr moves to 175, Edgar Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo Alvarez
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I see it being an early night’: Haney doesn’t expect Garcia to last the distance
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal proud to see fans bring Miami heat on Nate Diaz: 'He definitely felt it'
  • Middle Easy : Frustrated Ketlen Vieira Believes She is More ‘Deserving’ of a UFC Title Fight Than Kayla Harrison
  • MMA Mania : Chandler Reveals Plans For McGregor’s ‘Hurt Leg’
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter eats head kick after failing to exploit grounded fighter rule
  • MMA Junkie : Kyoji Horiguchi, Sergio Pettis to rematch at Rizin 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Sergio Pettis vs. Kyoji Horiguchi 2 announced for RIZIN 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi lashes out at PFL over lack of communication, refusal to book him since buying Bellator
  • MMA Junkie : PFL heads to Mohegan Sun, Salt Lake City, Sioux Falls for second half of 2024 regular season
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhang
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Deontay Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhilei Zhang
  • MMA Mania : Jake Paul’s $10 Million Offer ‘Still Stands’ For MMA Debut
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul offers Jorge Masvidal, Nate Diaz $10 million for MMA fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Robert Whittaker not sold on Bo Nickal after UFC 300, says he has ‘work to do’ before fighting Top 10
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 live results (7 p.m. ET): Welterweights, featherweights in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, But First...
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video at 2 p.m. ET.
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18