Tapology Forums

Can you fight Ammy MMA after boxing pro?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Split Lip
Split Lip
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 400

08.25.2021 | 8:28 PM ET

Title pretty much sums it up.

I'm going to be honest, im pretty much only a pro on paper lol I had to register as a pro to fight in a sanctioned bareknuckle boxing match.. It was pretty gung-ho considering i only have a couple months of training and no ammy experience. But i'm stubborn, and I've always had to learn the hard way. I lost. Pretty badly.

I was contemplating doing MMA in the future. But I know im not mentally or physically ready to fight Professional Martial Artists yet. I do not want to be a tomato can.. 

For reference, i live in the U.S., im 25 years old, My current combat sports record as of this post is 0-1 in BKB, I sent in a request for a federal pro boxing license prior to my match and never received it or heard anything back from them, but was still allowed to compete. Does my record, and not having the license change anything?

Theoretically speaking, if I kept trying to do boxing, and didn't win any fights, would that be taken into consideration? (0-3 for example)
Or do i have no choice but to train harder and fight pro forever in any combat sport i pursue? 

I'm pretty new to the world of combat sports (as a competitor) giving up is not an option for me so please don't say it. Not to get sentimental but my pride and my passion for fighting is the only reason I haven't given up on life. Before i started training, i abused my body, I was depressed all the time. I hated myself. I know what I did was pretty dumb but I can't go back to living like that. 

Thank you in advance for your input. 

TL;DR: signed up to box pro, got dropped, can I fight Ammy MMA instead

"Wisdom comes alone through suffering". -Aeschylus

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

08.26.2021 | 10:12 AM ET

It will vary from state to state how they do licensing. Best bet is to contact the athletic commission in the state you live (or want to compete in) and see what their rules are:
https://www.abcboxing.com/contacts/

Or join a gym that has a bunch of fighters, they will probably have gone through the same questions and situations as you.

* Edited at 08.26.2021, 10:12 AM ET *

"I live, I die, I live again."

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,211  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,308
  • Post Score: 285

08.26.2021 | 5:31 PM ET

@Split Lip

I don't know the specific rules as I've never fought in any combat sport competitively as an amateur or pro (my only experience is a bit of boxing training at a general fitness gym) but there have been loads of cases of pro boxers switching to MMA and vice versa. Claressa Shields made her pro MMA debut in PFL a few months back after a remarkable pro boxing career but there have been cases at all levels (when making picks, I often see fighters who have fairly bad records in both pro boxing and MMA but still compete so it's certainly possible). 

Don't worry about that bare knuckle fight, it's all part of the learning experience and it was only you're debut so you've still got plenty of time to improve your record. All the best for whatever combat sport you end up doing!

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,535
  • Post Score: 262

08.26.2021 | 5:47 PM ET

Im almost 100% certain you can, It be stupid if you can't , It's a diffirent sport, Fighters need to get use to the wresling and kicking. I think they an good argument that it more unfair for a  D1 wresler or a Jiu-jitsu champion than a guy who box pro, But it be a case by case thing

* Edited at 08.26.2021, 6:12 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Bill Haney gifts Ryan Garcia ‘Psychology for Dummies’ book
  • MMA Junkie : Brennan Ward nostalgic for Bellator, but ready to wreak havoc in $1 million PFL season
  • Middle Easy : Video – Drunk ‘Karen’ Tries to Pick a Fight with UFC Flyweight Star Maycee Barber
  • Middle Easy : UFC’s Bo Nickal Claps Back At Khamzat Chimaev, Vows To ‘Rag Doll’ Undefeated Star In Future Fight
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Declines Jamahal Hill’s Challenge: ‘I’d Like to Fight for the Title’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Declines Jamahal Hill’s Challenge : ‘I’d Like to Fight for the Title’
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping explains why Sean Strickland has 'significant advantage' vs. Paulo Costa at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia press conference video live now
  • Middle Easy : T.J. Dillashaw Confident Jon Jones Would ‘Easily’ Outwrestle Alex Pereira in Potential Heavyweight Clash
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Press Conference Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker: Bo Nickal has 'some work to do' before he's ready for top-10 fights
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Arman Tsarukyan & Renato Moicano Talk Wins At UFC 300
  • Middle Easy : UFC 300: Robert Whittaker Reveals Key Factors That Led To Jamahal Hill’s KO Loss vs. Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Ilia Ultimatum: Defend ‘BMF’ Belt Or I Rematch Volks!
  • UFC.com : UFC Performance Institute In Mexico City Celebrates Inaugural Academy Combine
  • UFC.com : Where We Stand: Lightweight Division | April 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan says UFC 300 judge apologized for scoring fight in Charles Oliveira's favor
  • UFC.com : Cam Smotherman’s Revenge Tour | UFC Fight Pass
  • MMAFighting.com : Jiri Prochazka wants Alex Pereira rematch as soon as possible, knows eating punches ‘will not work’
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC on ABC 6 headliner