Topic: Diaz vs. Condit

Diaz vs. Condit

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,411  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  17,429
  • Post Score: 60

12.07.2011 | 1:31 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Diaz   wrong Decision  

This is the official discussion thread for Diaz vs. Condit. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 2

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

12.07.2011 | 6:07 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Diaz   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

@jaykool before your 10 point breakdown, make your pic son!
phisei
phisei
  • Predictions:  5,815  |  59.9%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 200

12.07.2011 | 6:09 PM ET

Prediction: correct Condit   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 4  

TKO via Cuts
jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

12.07.2011 | 6:55 PM ET

10-Point Breakdown

1. Mental Edge/Confidence/Gameplan - Nick Diaz is fresh off of his unanimous decision victory over former UFC LW and WW Champion BJ Penn, he's on riding an 11-fight/3 1/2 year win streak, and is the last man to hold the Strikeforce WW title. Carlos Condit recently handed highly touted WW contender Dong Hyun Kim his first defeat, is 12-1 since July of 2006, and the last man to hold the WEC WW title. Nick Diaz really knows how to get in his opponent's head both in and out of the cage, but Condit is almost impossible to break mentally. Both fighters have similiar styles, with really good BJJ and submissions, have fantastic stand-up, and very experienced fighters, so I don't think that either fighter is lacking confidence anywhere the fight could take place. As far as gameplan goes, I'm sure both fighters have an idea of what they want to do, but will see what happens, once their standing toe-to-toe in the center of the octagon. In this first area, I have to call this about even. Diaz 10/10, Condit 10/10

2. Experience/Level Of Opposition - Nick Diaz has 33 fights under his belt, and Carlos Condit has 32. Condit has faced the best that the WEC has had to offer, and he's fought some very tough opponents in the UFC. Nick Diaz has faced the best fighters in Strikeforce, DREAM, PRIDE, had to offer, and has faced some very tough competition in the UFC. I would call this one even too. Diaz 10/10, Condit 10/10

3. Heart/Determination To Win - When it comes to being willing to fight a war, overcome adversity, and always stay in the fight from beginning to end willing to do anything to win, there is no question that both these fighters are the definition of heart, tenacity, and desire to win. Again, another even category. Diaz 10/10, Condit 10/10

4. Stamina/Cardio - Both fighters can go 3 rounds or 5 rounds with no problems. Either fighter gassing out in this fight would be unheard of. Even once again. Diaz 10/10, Condit 10/10

5. Endurance/Toughness - I think that this is another area where it could either way, or be dead even. Condit has a very solid chin, is tough as nails, and he's only been finished by submission, but that was early in his career. The only true KO/TKO victory that Nick Diaz suffered was early in his career, the other TKO stoppage was from a cut against KJ Noons, and Diaz was more than willing to continue in that fight. Many thought that fight was a bad stoppage. Both fighters are about impossible to finish, so toughness and endurance is not a question for either fighter. Another even call here. Diaz 10/10, Condit 10/10

6. Overall Striking - Both fighters have 13 KO/TKO victories in their careers. Diaz has some of the most solid and technical boxing in all of MMA. Condit is a very dangerous striker that can end a fight in one punch, and he's also a very solid kickboxer. I would have to give technique and speed to Diaz, while power and versatility would have to go in favor of Condit. The big question here, is who do I more likely see winning this fight by KO?, and I honestly believe Condit has the better chance of ending this fight by KO/TKO. I'm not saying that Diaz couldn't or wouldn't, I just think Condit is more likely to do it. A very slight advantage = Condit. Diaz 9/10, Condit 10/10

7. Overall Wrestling/Grappling - Both fighters have improved very well in this area over the years, but it has been an achilles heel for them. In fact, when both fighters were supposed to fight GSP, many felt that what would make Diaz and Condit lose to GSP was in the wrestling and takedown defense department. If I had to give a definitive edge, I would have to give a slight advantage to Nick Diaz. It's so close, but I have to give the edge to Diaz, because he is the more experienced grappler. Diaz 8/10, Condit 7/10

8. Overall Submissions/BJJ - This is where Diaz has the clear advantage, the experience, and where I could see him finishing the fight. Carlos Condit has massively improved in this area over the years, and actually has more submission victories than Nick Diaz, but Diaz is one of Cesar Gracie's start pupils, and has some of the best BJJ on the planet. Advantage = Diaz. Diaz 10/10, Condit 9/10

9. Size/Strength - Neither fighter is a really big or really strong WW. I see them as both average sized for WW. They're both 6'1", and have a long reach, so I don't really see either fighter having a great advantage here. Diaz 8/10, Condit 8/10.

10. Speed/Athleticism - Niether fighter is extremely quick, but both fighters have very good mobility. If I had to give an advantage somewhere, I would say that Diaz has quicker hands, so a very slight speed advantage would go in the favor of Diaz. Diaz 9/10, Condit 8/10

Overall Score  --  Nick Diaz = 94/100  --  Carlos "The Natural Born Killer" Condit = 92/100

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

12.07.2011 | 6:56 PM ET

Jaykool- make your pic son, please :) or atleast acknowledge that you are aware that it is your pic. Don't want to rush you if you're not ready.

* Edited at 12.07.2011, 7:02 PM ET *

jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

12.07.2011 | 7:15 PM ET

@ MMAmessiah - my apologies bro. I didn't see the rest of the threads. I've been looking at all the b.s. on the GSP backing out of another fight, and Condit is now fighting Diaz.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

12.07.2011 | 7:17 PM ET

@jay absolutely no problem at all, was just anxious to get all captains aware and the 1st round out of the way.
fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

12.07.2011 | 7:37 PM ET

DIAZ 4 LIFE
aoiioushi
aoiioushi
  • Predictions:  5,857  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 100

12.07.2011 | 7:43 PM ET

I think we will see every MMA move in this fight
kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

12.07.2011 | 8:13 PM ET

hmm, so whats gonna happen to Koscheck?

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah

12.07.2011 | 8:16 PM ET

he said on twitter he was still fighting on the card, didn't specify if it'd be at WW or MW though, said he wanted a MW fight.
FresnoMMA
FresnoMMA
  • Predictions:  52,719  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,431
  • Post Score: 204

12.07.2011 | 8:18 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Diaz   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

@kallous I was about to post the same thing, what are they going to do with my boy Kos??!!!! 

AndrewLikesToFight
AndrewLikesToFight
  • Predictions:  1,157  |  56.4%
  • Forum Posts:  107
  • Post Score: 86

12.07.2011 | 8:21 PM ET

Stylistically a solid fight. Diaz should  have an edge on the feet and ground but Condit is the upset king and a comeback kid. That fight is likely going to be a "Fight of the Night" kind of fight. I'd e disappointed to see 2 agressive guys like this dance around and stall. I doubt we'll see anything less than a hardcore MMA clinic with Diaz getting a decision victory.
AndrewLikesToFight
AndrewLikesToFight
  • Predictions:  1,157  |  56.4%
  • Forum Posts:  107
  • Post Score: 86

12.07.2011 | 8:25 PM ET

Kos shouldn't go MW, he has enough trouble with the WW contenders. Sonnen and Belfort and Silva are too huge and powerful for him. Kos will have more success where he is. Though I ain't a fan of his trash talk, I do gotta give him credit because he's a scrapper and he can possily make a difference at MW if he builds the muscle without sacrificing too much speed.
zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

12.07.2011 | 8:37 PM ET

Condit TKO in the 4th by cuts. No doubt this will be a fight of the year candidate. My most looked forward to fight since Ben Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone 2. So stoked for this fight. Gonna be a stand up war until the doctor stops it due to cuts. 

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

12.07.2011 | 8:51 PM ET

Prediction: correct Condit   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

Is this gonna be for the interum belt?

WAR CONDIT!!!!

"Is reality really realistic?"

fglop
fglop
  • Predictions:  1,625  |  70.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,061
  • Post Score: 150

12.08.2011 | 8:35 PM ET

Diaz has the cardio, boxing, and BJJ advantages. I think he takes a ud or a late stoppage, going to be a ******* war either way.
JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

12.08.2011 | 8:42 PM ET

Prediction: correct Condit   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

So what happens with Kos now? Is he going to go up to MW now?

"Is reality really realistic?"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,050  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,481
  • Post Score: 203

12.08.2011 | 8:45 PM ET

Im very interested to see what they do with Kos. Both Diaz and Kos are both on my top 5 faves. I wouldnt mine seeing him fight at MW. I justh ope they both get a victory. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Hybrid
Hybrid
  • Predictions:  158  |  57.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,437
  • Post Score: 236

12.08.2011 | 10:05 PM ET

This fight is going to be amazing. It's certainly a more exciting fight than Diaz vs. GSP or Condit vs. GSP would have been.

As far as fight predictions go, I see Condit winning by TKO (cuts) in a later round. Diaz has better cardio, nobody can refute that, but Condit's is more than good enough to go the full fight without slowing down (at least not dramatically). If it goes to the fifth round Diaz will likely do significantly better than Condit, because his style wears down fighters over time. I just believe that Condit won't be worn down too significantly before the fifth. They're roughly the same speed, so no advantage to either there. I think the real advantage for Condit will be three things: Condit has eight weapons, while Diaz has two; Condit has a power advantage for sure; and Diaz cuts easily (his striking defense is nonexistent) while Condit is known for causing nasty cuts.

Sure, Diaz has a major advantage in BJJ, but is around equal in wrestling. But the thing is; it will not go to the ground. Diaz style is "I am going to fight you wherever you're best, because I'm trying to prove a point" (Sorry, I would have written that how Diaz would have actually sounded, but I find problems writing with an incoherent slurring) Condit and Diaz are almost definitely going to stand and fight the entire fight. Which is going to be an AWESOME show. 

At the end of the day, the real winner is going to be the fans, cause this'll be a war.

"History boils down to a few really awesome people doing really awesome stuff, and a bunch of idiots messing it up for everyone else."

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

12.08.2011 | 10:33 PM ET

@Hybrid This. Totally. Pretty much my thought process, but I was much lazier. Too bad I can only up-vote once. ;)

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘Regretful’ Biter Breaks Silence
  • MMA Mania : An Elite Contender With Only One Combo
  • MMA Mania : ‘Come Over Here Real Quick, Win A Belt, Maybe Win Another Belt’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Plans To Continue Fighting Until He’s ‘In The F*cking Grave,’ Wants To Face Similar-Aged Opponents
  • Middle Easy : Khalil Rountree Jr Claims Fans Want To See Him Fight Alex Pereira, Doesn’t Care If Pereira Is Champion
  • MMAFighting.com : Vince McMahon unloads another $100 million of TKO Group Holdings stock
  • MMA Junkie : 'That's not who I am': Igor Severino apologizes for bite, hopes one mistake doesn't define career
  • MMA Mania : ‘A Big Spit In The Face Of All The Champions’
  • MMAFighting.com : Payton Talbott rejects Sean O’Malley comparisons after UFC Vegas 89: ‘I don’t want to be compared’
  • UFC.com : Joaquin Buckley: ‘This Is The Reason I’m Here’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tszyu willing to face Spence next, talks fight with Fundora
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tim Tszyu willing to face Errol Spence next, talks fight with Sebastian Fundora
  • MMA Junkie : 'Super happy' PFL season newcomer Mads Burnell explains excitement for fight schedule, new weight class
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor scoffs at retirement: ‘It’s to the motherf****** grave’
  • MMA Mania : Whittaker: Chimaev Fight ‘Came Out Of Nowhere’
  • MMA Junkie : Why 2022 PFL welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moved to light heavyweight for upcoming season
  • MMAFighting.com : Robert Whittaker reacts to Khamzat Chimaev fight at UFC Saudi Arabia: ‘It’s a bit of a shock’
  • MMA Mania : GSP ‘Would Have Put Khabib Down’
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he had ‘suicidal thoughts’ amid CryptoZoo scandal fallout: ‘I was spiraling’
  • UFC.com : The State Of UFC During UFC 100 And 200