Topic: UFC 269

UFC 269: Oliveira vs. Poirier

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,815
  • Post Score: 47

08.02.2021 | 10:40 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 269
  • Saturday 12.11.2021 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Attendance: 18,471
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 500,000 | TV Ratings: 729,000 avg. viewers (ESPN2 prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 14
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Charles Oliveira   defeats   Dustin Poirier   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:02 Round 3 of 5, 11:02 Total Bout Page
Julianna Peña   defeats   Amanda Nunes   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:26 Round 2 of 5, 8:26 Total Bout Page
Geoff Neal   defeats   Santiago Ponzinibbio   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Kai Kara-France   defeats   Cody Garbrandt   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:21 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Sean O'Malley   defeats   Raulian Paiva   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:42 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Josh Emmett   defeats   Dan Ige   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Dominick Cruz   defeats   Pedro Munhoz   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tai Tuivasa   defeats   Augusto Sakai   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:26 Round 2 of 3, 5:26 Total Bout Page
Bruno Silva   defeats   Jordan Wright   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:28 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
André Muniz   defeats   Eryk Anders   via Submission, Armbar   3:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Erin Blanchfield   defeats   Miranda Maverick   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ryan Hall   defeats   Darrick Minner   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tony Kelley   defeats   Randy Costa   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:15 Round 2 of 3, 9:15 Total Bout Page
Gillian Robertson   defeats   Priscila Cachoeira   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses Page 32

Tap867
Tap867
  • Predictions:  3,133  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  560
  • Post Score: 211

12.09.2021 | 5:39 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 595 Points   |   Tied for 1218th

Costa vs. Kelley
Tony Kelley, TKO, R3
Costa is totally dangerous early, and can get it done....But, if Tony is still around? Primetime.

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights. - Ronnie Coleman"

Tap867
Tap867
  • Predictions:  3,133  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  560
  • Post Score: 211

12.09.2021 | 5:48 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 595 Points   |   Tied for 1218th

Hall vs. Minner
Ryan Hall, SUB, R2
Hmmm. Possibly the toughest to call this year for me. If Minner is careful with his pace, he should make this interesting.

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights. - Ronnie Coleman"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

12.09.2021 | 8:44 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 2007th

Curious to see if Hall can get back in the win column.  His last loss was pretty brutal.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,811  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  31,957
  • Post Score: 87

12.09.2021 | 10:21 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 635 Points   |   Tied for 757th

Something tells me it’s pretty damn hard to submit ryan hall. Minners best move is a guillotine and I just don’t see ryan hall get subbed by such a basic submission like that 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

SS14
SS14
  • Predictions:  151  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 150

12.09.2021 | 10:42 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 520 Points   |   Tied for 2137th

O'Malley vs. Paiva
Sean O'Malley, SUB, R2
Think Raulian is durable, and an O'Malley knockdown followed by him snatching a submission, similar to how he nearly did Moutinho, will finish Raulian

Sakai vs. Tuivasa
Tai Tuivasa, TKO, R1
Lookin for another shooey

"There's 3 things in life that excite me: a woman, dinosaurs, and the violence of the Octagon." ~GSP

gogo kp
gogo kp
  • Predictions:  5,603  |  74.2%
  • Forum Posts:  52
  • Post Score: 154

12.09.2021 | 10:46 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 2921st

Minner's best option is to finnish Hall by sub. My mind,neighbour or somebody tell's me that Hall is a little hard guy to be  finnished in that way.....Toupuria is a next champ, so that fight you cant count or have it like some caind of orientatin for this one. 

"Be water my friend...MMA junkie since 2002 and i still don't need a rehab..."

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

12.09.2021 | 10:58 AM ET

Exactly, I think “exposing” ryan hall is a lot harder than it actually looks. Ilia made it easy because he is incredibly skilled, I think it’s gonna be much harder to replicate than people think. Plus this is darrick Minner, the one guy in the division who will go to the ground with ryan hall. Being subbed 8 times against one of the better bjj guys in the league just smells of a ryan hall heel hook classic 

RichOsama
RichOsama
  • Predictions:  1,793  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,165

12.09.2021 | 11:09 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 560 Points   |   Tied for 1650th

I'll take Minner by decision or sub in Rd 3. If he can actually listen to Krause , should be a float. Like Duck said , them stupid ankle rolls ain't going to work with how quick and explosive Minner is. He could land on top and just pound his lights out. 
RichOsama
RichOsama

12.09.2021 | 11:10 AM ET

Maybe we'll see minners first KO/TKO in over 8 years. 
RichOsama
RichOsama

12.09.2021 | 11:14 AM ET

Yeah , I'm going to take Minner. Ryan has a 11% TDA and 0% TDD. I know that doesn't prove anything but it definitely made me more interested in Minner. 
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

12.09.2021 | 11:40 AM ET

I mean he’s probably a good dog I just don’t see someone who is willing to go to the ground with ryan hall winning a fight. Especially when Minner leaves himself open to sub opportunities constantly and also has one round of gas. When he gets into a scramble, ryan hall is going to know how to escape and it’s going to cause Minner to gas by trying to gain an advantageous position. He can’t help himself on the ground; he’s gonna see an opportunity and try and take it

* Edited at 12.09.2021, 11:41 AM ET *

depmode33
depmode33
  • Predictions:  248  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,383
  • Post Score: 183

12.09.2021 | 12:11 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise, that's a good analysis.  It's probably best to avoid betting or picking that fight.  Just make some popcorn and enjoy that fight.  You can't confidently pick Minner who has been subbed 8 times in a career against a guy who is probably the best at his weight class at getting a submission.  On the flip side, you can't pick Hall who has no standup ability and got knocked out in his last fight so who the hell knows what will happen in this fight.       
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

12.09.2021 | 12:16 PM ET

Yeah exactly lol. If anything I think the fight will be entertaining af, so might as well just enjoy it 

nowave
nowave
  • Predictions:  340  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 200

12.09.2021 | 12:46 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 1567th

Oliveira vs. Poirier
Charles Oliveira, SUB, R1
Oliveira by rear naked choke! It's easy for him to takedown Porier

Nunes vs. Peña
Amanda Nunes, SUB, R2
An easy victory for the man on the left

Neal vs. Ponzinibbio
Santiago Ponzinibbio, DEC
Bet on Santiago after first round. Not everyone can keep up with his rate.

Kara-France vs. Garbrandt
Kai Kara-France, DEC
In the fight against Font, Garbrandt landed an average of 12 striker per round!1!!! Now he is favorite in new weight class. I bet kara-france

O'Malley vs. Paiva
Sean O'Malley, DEC
it's illegal not to bet on a full fight after Sean's last two fights

Emmett vs. Ige
Josh Emmett, DEC
The only way to win for ige is wrestling

Munhoz vs. Cruz
Dominick Cruz, DEC
Dom by experience.

Sakai vs. Tuivasa
Augusto Sakai, DEC
51/49 Sakai

Silva vs. Wright
Bruno Silva, TKO, R1
Silva's beats like a truck. Knock out in 1-2 round

Muniz vs. Anders
André Muniz, DEC
It's hard to sub Anders, i think a lot of clinch in this fight.

Blanchfield vs. Maverick
Miranda Maverick, DEC
Take a break

Perez vs. Schnell
Alex Perez, TKO, R3
Perez's kickboxing is better. Schnell has already been knocked out.

Hall vs. Minner
Ryan Hall, SUB, R2
Minner is danger in first round, then he gets tired. Also Minner has good grappling,but not on the same level as Hall. Ideal gameplan for him is avoid parter, but I'm 99% sure he will takedown Hall. I'll bet on Hall after 2, i think betting odds will be higher.

Costa vs. Kelley
Randy Costa, TKO, R1
Costa's box/kickboxing better. if there is a decision, I think 2-1 for costa

Cachoeira vs. Robertson
Gillian Robertson, DEC
Easy takedowns for Robertson.

RichOsama
RichOsama

12.09.2021 | 12:49 PM ET

Oh , I ain't betting on that fight. Just for my tapology prediction lol 
stuthehistoryguy
stuthehistoryguy
  • Predictions:  10,369  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  737
  • Post Score: 316

12.09.2021 | 12:57 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 570 Points   |   Tied for 1522nd

Hall vs. Minner
Darrick Minner, DEC
Going with my heart above my head here - Minner is a hometown boy.

"I'm not on your side. I'm not on his side. I'm on the side or being right. - Richard Harrison Sr"

shaqalicious023
shaqalicious023
  • Predictions:  494  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  120
  • Post Score: 82

12.09.2021 | 2:56 PM ET

Analysis and predictions video for Balkan fans

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 695 Points   |   Tied for 325th

J T M s i s h
J T M s i s h
  • Predictions:  215  |  68.4%
  • Forum Posts:  17
  • Post Score: 312

12.09.2021 | 3:12 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 545 Points   |   Tied for 1820th

Oliveira vs. Poirier
Charles Oliveira, SUB, R2
Charles Oliveira - I can’t tell you why, well I can, but yes this is definitely a big ******* shout BUT how often do you see Poirier win a first round!? Charlie Olives starts fast, he hits hard! He covers position quickly and is strong on the ground! HOWEVER he has to finish the fight before the 13 minute mark! Otherwise he’s ******. This fight will NEVER go the distance! EVER. OLIVEIRA by SUB // secondary - POIRIER by TKO

Nunes vs. Peña
Amanda Nunes, TKO, R1
Amanda Nunes - LOL. Who the **** else!? Peña makes some silly ******’ decisions in her fights. She was beating de Randemie in the clinch and was on her way to getting a 29-28 ‘til de Randemie - a ******* Muay Thai (please don’t take me down) fighter - choked her out. NUNES by TKO // secondary - NUNES by DEC

Neal vs. Ponzinibbio
Santiago Ponzinibbio, TKO, R2
Santiago Ponzinibbio - Come on, dude! You don’t get a DUI one week and a dub the next unless you’re Jones and your wife looks at you funny. I would probably have picked Neal otherwise! Ponzinibbio does get hit - a lot. And Geoff Neal hits really ******* hard. If Santiago can be first, stick and move, and be the one applying the pressure keeping Neal on his back foot, Santiago should get this one. PONZINIBBIO by TKO // secondary - PONZINIBBIO by DEC

Kara-France vs. Garbrandt
Kai Kara-France, DEC
Kai Kara-France - This one may need an update. Weigh-ins are going to play a major part into this one. Cody’s speed and power are what got him to the top at Bantamweight. At Flyweight: EVERYONE IS QUICK. Kai is great at suckering in a brawl only to maintain a good amount of distance after getting off his shots. Cody just ******* swings, committing 100% to every shot with no regard for protecting his chin - that’s a big “no no” when the night before you sucked all the water out of your brain. Garbrandt has great foot work and puts on some great entertaining barn burners - I’d like to see him win. But I’m not keen on putting money on him. KARA-FRANCE by DEC // secondary - KARA-FRANCE by TKO

O'Malley vs. Paiva
Sean O'Malley, TKO, R2
Sean O’Malley - Paiva’s good. He’s had his camp at Alpha Male so there’s no doubt he’s been drilling takedowns and BJJ. Paiva’s also tough as ****. This isn’t as complicated as one may think. O’Malley’s quicker, hits harder, is much bigger and much longer. Should be a pretty cool opener to the rest of the night. O’MALLEY by TKO // secondary - O’MALLEY by DEC

Emmett vs. Ige
Josh Emmett, DEC
Josh Emmett - God bless Dan Ige. He’s a good looking geezer, probably a nice chap and has an aesthetically pleasing fan-friendly fighting style. But he’s destined to be a journey man - the gatekeeper of the top 7 of the featherweight division. Josh has been knocked out and he’s got an extensive injury list. He’s also really good and could potentially be knocking on Volkanovski’s door (if he doesn’t run into Max on the way). Dan Ige’s never been knocked out, I think that remains the same. EMMETT by DEC // secondary - IGE by TKO

Munhoz vs. Cruz
Pedro Munhoz, DEC
Pedro Munhoz - This could be a total mind****. Munhoz’s game plan surely is to kick the breaks off Dominick’s bionic legs, take him down and maul him. Cruz is still a tricky ************. His wrestling is slick, his takedown defence is slick and he’s really ******’ hard to hit. Never sleep on Dominick Cruz! That being said… MUNHOZ by DEC // secondary - MUNHOZ by TKO

Sakai vs. Tuivasa
Augusto Sakai, DEC
Augusto Sakai - I love Tai. He’s a ******’ hero. But Tai is kind of ****** on the ground. This is absolutely 50/50 though!!! If Tai can get a brawl going he can absolutely knock out anyone. But Sakai has great Muay Thai, manages distance well and is pretty good at fighting safe. I’m upset. I want to see shoeys. SAKAI by DEC // secondary - TUIVASA by TKO

Silva vs. Wright
Bruno Silva, TKO, R1
Bruno Silva - Is there anyone here that can justify Wright being in the UFC!? He doesn’t like getting hit, he has no chin and his traditional old-ye-karate style is old-ye for a ******’ reason. Bruno has a decent chin and maintains that ferocious power for 25 minutes. This is 15 minutes… and let’s be honest: it’s not going 15 ******’ minutes. SILVA by TKO // secondary - don’t bother.

Muniz vs. Anders
André Muniz, DEC
André Muniz - **** this fight! Eryk Anders got out struck by ******* Meerschart ‘cause that BJJ threat stopped him from implementing his game plan of clinch-******* on the cage. Hopefully Muniz can submit him early so we can continue to enjoy our evening. Anders should have a massive advantage on the feet and has pretty good takedown defence. God, this might be a ******* snoozer. MUNIZ by DEC // secondary - MUNIZ by SUB

Blanchfield vs. Maverick
Miranda Maverick, DEC
Miranda Maverick - Again (FFS), this is a reeeaaally close one. Blanchfield has excellent high kicks - often switching to southpaw to set up some Wonderboy **** - and she has a VICIOUS ground game. BUT Miranda has excellent submission defence and is wicked-good at scrambling. If Miranda can go first and keep her fight she should get the dub. Fascinating fight though! MAVERICK by DEC // secondary - BLANCHFIELD by DEC

Perez vs. Schnell
Alex Perez, TKO, R1
Alex Perez - Again, this ain’t so easy. Schnell is really ******* good! Excellent movement, always throws in bunches, decent ground game (even from bottom in guard). Perez however starts super quickly and applies a ton of pressure! Schnell embraces fire fights, with this guy I think that’s a bad idea. I want Schnell to win but I don’t think he’ll make it 10 minutes. PEREZ by TKO // secondary - SCHNELL by DEC

Hall vs. Minner
Ryan Hall, DEC
Ryan Hall - This is potentially another massive shout. Hall’s last opponent was a terrible matchup for this. Minner absolutely isn’t. Minner’s main threat is his jui jitsu… Nah mate… Ryan Hall is terrifying on the ground. Minner would have to really hurt Hall to get any leg up on him on the mat. Good luck getting near Hall though! He’s got great kicks and manages distance really well on the feet. I think Minner won’t get much offence in ‘til the last round and I’m not sure he’ll do enough to even win it. HALL by DEC // secondary - HALL by SUB

Costa vs. Kelley
Randy Costa, TKO, R1
Randy Costa - If this fight was only one round I’d be a lot more confident in this pick. There are a few factors at play here: Kelley isn’t a fast starter and backs up to the fence when under pressure. This is EXACTLY how Costa gets his finishes. The main problem is if Kelley can survive the first round. Costa depletes his gas tank early and stops applying the same kind of pressure. Kelley can potentially even finish Costa after about 7 minutes. Tricky one! I am leaning Costa for an early finish though! COSTA by TKO // secondary - KELLEY by SUB

Cachoeira vs. Robertson
Gillian Robertson, SUB, R2
Gillian Robertson - Cachoeira’s lack of response on the ground and Robertson’s ability to grind for 15 minutes straight is where the stark difference is between these two. The only issue I have with Robertson is how she attempts takedowns without really setting them up. Cachoeira can absolutely catch Robertson with something nasty if she changes levels blindly. Robertson has a decent finish record in the UFC and hasn’t been finished either. I’m leaning towards a submission in the 2nd or 3rd round. ROBERTSON by SUB // secondary - CACHOEIRA by TKO

"Seeking that perfect prediction for bants and bragging rights (and hopefully a little extra cash)."

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

12.09.2021 | 3:30 PM ET

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 785 Points   |   Tied for 55th

Ryan Hall   vs.   Darrick Minner 

You know, I'm tempted to pick Minner here because Ryan Hall is an unbelievably overrated, one-dimensional fighter who is also 36 years old. But I can't do that for two reasons. Firstly, Minner is primarily a wrestler and he's definitely going to play into Hall's one and only strength, and will very likely get subbed. Secondly, it appears he was named by the doctor who delivered him, who was deaf, and his name is spelled in the way said doctor pronounced it.

Hall, sub R1.
DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,536
  • Post Score: 262

12.09.2021 | 5:36 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 680 Points   |   Tied for 417th

One thing that big about this matchup is Dustin defensive wrestling, It ok, But nothing special, He only fought one fighter who could exploit it in his recent lightweight run, And that fighter being Khabib, Charles ain't Khabib, But he doesn't have to be to exploit Dustin Possible grappling deficiencies, I think this may be a unpopular take but I think T-Ferg, Kevin Lee might and Michael Chandler 100% has better grappling than Dustin 

Dustin takedown defence is only 61%, I'm almost certain Charles takedown Dustin a few time, The thing for Dustin is to not give Charles too many opputunys, Dustin most likely won't get submetted on the first attempt, But give Charles 10 attempts, And on at least one of those attempts, He tap, snap or nap

* Edited at 12.09.2021, 5:43 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

Page 32

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’