Topic: UFC 268

UFC 268: Usman vs. Covington 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,824
  • Post Score: 47

07.26.2021 | 5:24 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 268
  • Saturday 11.06.2021 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Madison Square Garden
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $9,903,557
  • Attendance: 20,715
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 700,000 | TV Ratings:
  • MMA Bouts: 14
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Kamaru Usman   defeats   Colby Covington   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Rose Namajunas   defeats   Weili Zhang   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Marlon Vera   defeats   Frankie Edgar   via KO/TKO, Front Kick   3:50 Round 3 of 3, 13:50 Total Bout Page
Shane Burgos   defeats   Billy Quarantillo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Justin Gaethje   defeats   Michael Chandler   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alex Pereira   defeats   Andreas Michailidis   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee   0:18 Round 2 of 3, 5:18 Total Bout Page
Bobby Green   defeats   Al Iaquinta   via KO/TKO, Jab-cross to Ground Strikes   2:25 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Chris Curtis   defeats   Phil Hawes   via KO/TKO, Counter Left   4:27 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Nassourdine Imavov   defeats   Edmen Shahbazyan   via KO/TKO, Elbows From Crucifix   4:42 Round 2 of 3, 9:42 Total Bout Page
Ian Machado Garry   defeats   Jordan Williams   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   4:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Chris Barnett   defeats   Gian Villante   via KO/TKO, Wheel Kick to Ground Strikes   2:23 Round 2 of 3, 7:23 Total Bout Page
Dustin Jacoby   defeats   John Allan   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Melsik Baghdasaryan   defeats   Bruno Souza   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ode Osbourne   defeats   CJ Vergara   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 21

Andy35000
Andy35000
  • Predictions:  51  |  76.5%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: 228

11.05.2021 | 8:09 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 0 Perfect, 630 Points   |   1537th Place

Jacoby vs. Allan
Dustin Jacoby, TKO, R1
A quick Knockout for Jacoby for me as those two are clearly not on the same level lastly one is on an impressive series at the UFC, three wins and a draw, when the other has just fought and lost once after a drug suspension. In addition to that Jacoby's got a three inch reach advantage that should matter giving the quality of his striking.

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 8:35 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Villante vs. Barnett
Gian Villante, DEC
What an ugly matchup! Villante is definitely not a heavyweight and his newly grown paunch will surely not make me change my mind, but giving the fact that he is fighting a guy that, in my opinion, should not even fight in the UFC, I think he should win this one. Ok Barnett seems to be a nice guy and he's got a good record, but let's be serious for a moment, for the last two years he mostly fought for minor promotions and sometimes at +265 lbs, a category that looks more like a freak show than a real MMA category. So I think Villante will take a decision win.

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 8:49 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Williams vs. Garry
Ian Garry, TKO, R2
Looks just like there's some hype to build around that young lad Ian Garry. However he seems to be a promising and well-rounded prospect training out of Sanford MMA so I'm pickin' him a 100% for this one. Now, to me, the way he will deal with pressure will determine how he will win this fight, and since I'm an eternal optimist, I think he will finish the job in the second by K.O.

Card
Card
  • Predictions:  3,852  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,128
  • Post Score: 176

11.05.2021 | 8:53 PM ET

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 765 Points   |   Tied for 196th

Melsik Baghdasaryan (145.4) vs. Bruno Souza (148.4)
Ode Osbourne (125.2) vs. CJ Vergara (127.4)

** Souza misses featherweight by 2.4 pounds
*** Vergara misses flyweight by 1.4 pounds

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 9:04 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Shahbazyan vs. Imavov
Nassourdine Imavov, DEC
Not an easy one but I'm pickin' my fellow countryman for this one Nassourdine Imavov. Lastly, Golden Boy's luster has tarnished and he's no longer a top prospect in this division when in the meantime Imavov has shown good things even when he lost to Hawes. Moreover, Imavov's got Fernand Lopez in his corner, and he is a real strategist and he surely got a gameplan for this chess game between two similar fighters. So it will be a UD for Imavov for me even though I think both fighters will try to get the finish.

Soulofpilgrim
Soulofpilgrim
  • Predictions:  2,442  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  58
  • Post Score: 159

11.05.2021 | 9:05 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 1 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 3693rd

Usman vs. Covington II
Kamaru Usman, TKO, R4
And may the best man win

Namajunas vs. Zhang II
Rose Namajunas, TKO, R1
Rose you are in my heart. Good luck!

Gaethje vs. Chandler
Michael Chandler, DEC
If it was possible to choose both fighters, I would do so. Justin Gaethje and Michael Chandler - these guys are incredibly good!

"Go Hard or Go Home"

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 9:24 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Hawes vs. Curtis
Phil Hawes, DEC
Ugly wrestling UD for Hawes is what I think. After a flashy win for his UFC debut, I think Hawes has been quite disappointing since then and I think he'll become one of those fighters who win fights but in a boring way, just wrestling and nothing more.

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 9:36 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Iaquinta vs. Green
Bobby Green, DEC
Iaquinta is fighting at home but his last UFC fight was a loss in 2019 and lastly, even if he's lost, Green has proved he was no joke going the distance with both Moises and Fiziev, so I'm pickin' a 29-28 UD for Green and I think this could be FOTN

* Edited at 11.05.2021, 9:37 PM ET *

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 9:58 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Michailidis vs. Pereira
Alex Pereira, TKO, R1
And here comes the Unicorn!!! The man that has knocked Izzy out in a kickboxing match, here comes "Poatan" a.k.a. Alex Pereira, a towering middleweight that will enjoy a five inch reach advantage to make good use of his world class kickboxing. Just hope the Glorious Unicorn will not turn out to be a mere mule, but once again I'm an optimist and I think that with a highlight reel knockout, the Mighty Unicorn will flood us with light and will give birth to the dream of an epic title fight against Israel Adesanya!

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 10:20 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Gaethje vs. Chandler
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R1
There's gonna be thunder!!! I love both fighters but I'm pickin' Gaethje on that one and of course I think this one is not going the distance.

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 10:29 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Burgos vs. Quarantillo
Shane Burgos, TKO, R3
I love what Burgos brings inside the octagon, he is an absolute warrior and I think Quarantillo will not be able to match such intensity and pace. I think Burgos will overwhelm Quarantillo with punches to the face and body and get a referee stoppage late in the fight.

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 10:50 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Namajunas vs. Zhang II
Rose Namajunas, SUB, R3
Of course Thug Rose but I think she will pull a bunny out of her hat, submitting Zhang Weili whose strategy will surely be based, at least for a part, on wrestling since she's been training with Cejudo for the last few months. And even though Thug Rose is not a great wrestler, she's got long limbs, and I think she could use it to take the advantage on the ground and even finish with an armbar or a triangle.

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 11:21 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Usman vs. Covington II
Kamaru Usman, TKO, R2
Come on Kamaru, let's shut that moron's mouth once and for all! Time to take the trash out and show him what a real champion is. Colby is unbearable both inside and outside the cage as we all know how dumb and despicable he is outside the cage which is a consequence of how boring a fighter he is, so boring he had create that grotesque persona. This same guy who called Brazilians "filthy animals" and whose head coach is Brazilian. That's enough, the UFC doesn't need guys like this especially in a division full of talented fighters.

Andy35000
Andy35000

11.05.2021 | 11:27 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Edgar vs. Vera
Marlon Vera, DEC
Gotta pick Chito on that one, 'cause the guy is durable and I think he will chop Edgar's legs and strike from the distance cruising to a 30-27 UD. With all due respect to Frankie Edgar's career, I think he just can no longer fight at this level of competition.

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,943
  • Post Score: 247

11.06.2021 | 12:25 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 645 Points   |   Tied for 1385th

Michailidis vs. Pereira
Alex Pereira, TKO, R1
This mans existence is giving me a heart attack. I wouldn't mind seeing the rematch though.

Hawes vs. Curtis
Phil Hawes, DEC
I'm happy for Curtis getting for into the UFC but he looked like **** in his last fight and Hawes is on the up so I think he's going to lose.

Williams vs. Garry
Ian Garry, TKO, R1
Get ready for the UFC to not shut up about this guy for the next ten years. Jokes aside it's always satisfying to see a guy you followed in the regional scene make it into the big leagues.

"🌽⚽️"

FistyMcKickerChoke
FistyMcKickerChoke
  • Predictions:  29,457  |  80.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,545
  • Post Score: 237

11.06.2021 | 12:27 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 815 Points   |   Tied for 62nd

Usman vs. Covington II
Kamaru Usman, TKO, R2
Usman has improved more, I think, since the last fight.

Namajunas vs. Zhang II
Rose Namajunas, DEC
Elevation all day

Edgar vs. Vera
Marlon Vera, DEC
This is not enough of a step down for Edgar after that brutal KO

Burgos vs. Quarantillo
Shane Burgos, TKO, R3
This is going to be a WAR, Burgos' reach will be the difference maker

Gaethje vs. Chandler
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R3
ELEVATION ALL DAY

Michailidis vs. Pereira
Alex Pereira, TKO, R1
Fatality

Hawes vs. Curtis
Chris Curtis, DEC
Elevation all day, baby!

Villante vs. Barnett
Chris Barnett, TKO, R2
First rolling thunder kick KO in UFC heavyweight history?

"Throughout my career I've learned that "If you win you're the ****, if you lose it's bad." - Bruno "Blindadao" Silva"

Amettxpc
Amettxpc
  • Predictions:  12,761  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,177
  • Post Score: 192

11.06.2021 | 12:57 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 3963rd

Vergara vs. Osbourne
C.J. Vergara, TKO, R1
I don't think 125 pounds is the ideal category for Osbourne: his best performance was at 145 pounds where he scored his only UFC victory knocking Rivera out in less than 1 minute. Osbourne has done most of his career at bantamweight and the truth has good characteristics for the category (average height for weight, very good reach for the category and a healthy weight cut). I believe that again he is exposed to the same situation of making a big weight cut and facing a fighter who fails to make the weight and will have an advantage in the rebound effect. CJ Vergara is coming off of destroying Bruno Korea (one of the best flyweights outside of the UFC) and clearly has a KO power that is a threat with hooks and body strikes. Osbourne is coming off a KO loss which was the first of his career less than 3 months ago, I think it is unknown how much Osbourne recovered from this event and also the fact of facing a fighter who failed at the weigh-in by almost 2 and a half pounds will make the start of the fight against a Powerful Striker more difficult

"Moicano Wants Money!"

Amettxpc
Amettxpc
  • Predictions:  12,761  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,177
  • Post Score: 192

11.06.2021 | 1:35 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 3963rd

Shahbazyan vs. Imavov
Edmen Shahbazyan, DEC
At first he considered that Shahbazyan's grappling is not bad, quite the contrary against Stewart and Marshman showed a good offense from the ground against the former using a style similar to Sambo and against Wales he achieved a victory by submission. The reasons for their knockdown defense against Brunson and Hermansson is that primarily these 2 are among the best wrestlers in the division and that having less gas tank makes it more difficult to defend the explosiveness of throws or shoots (also the boy trained all his life with people like Gokor Chivichyan, Ronda Rousey, Karo Parisyan and Manvel Gamburyan. So his grappling isn't exactly null by logic). I think the most outstanding thing of all is the fact that Shahbazyan left Glendale Fighting Club (Tarverdyan Cult) and moved there to AKA, this shows that the boy is willing to make the best decisions for his future and the turn of plot from suspension for carrying the Artsakh Flag to ending up in a Gym where most of his teammates are Russian Muslims (he was even seen training a lot with Islam Makhachev on the way to tomorrow's fight). I mention this because I do not question the fact that Shahbazyan is proud of his Armenian heritage, but because putting aside political issues and training with colleagues who potentially have a contrary point of view in the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflicts is a a sign of enormous maturity that few would have in its place. Fight analysis: a potentially exciting fight as Imamov has a good Muay Thai base with powerful elbows from the clinch, prefers to stay striking and has very good cardio. The change Shahbazyan comes from Karate, he tends to shoot with great power at the beginning of the fight but from the second round he goes from more to less. I think the perfect strategy for Shahbazyan would be to do something similar to what Cutelaba did against Clark: First Round is the studio round, be selective with your punches thrown (not throw so many punches that they stay in the air or on guard) and Try to score with your power from the start but without burning your cardio. Already in the second round you can let go much stronger with pressure and using wrestling. Imamov is a fairly durable fighter but I think that if Shahbazyan and his corner have a smart strategy, he could clearly take the first 2 rounds and end his losing streak. Cardio issues are something very serious in fights and the fighters who tend to have these problems tend to suffer them more than once (if not their entire career) but it is not something without fix, last week Zubaira Tukhugov (AKA member) showed the best cardio of his career by being smart with his punches, managing his energy and being consistent during the fight.

"Moicano Wants Money!"

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,103  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  10,536
  • Post Score: 109

11.06.2021 | 3:52 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 640 Points   |   Tied for 1448th

Usman vs. Covington II
Kamaru Usman, DEC
Once again heart is telling me Covington, but head is telling me Usman; the EPO or HGH is too strong in this man. P4P king remains P4P king as of now and maybe until he goes.

Namajunas vs. Zhang II
Rose Namajunas, SUB, R3
Expecting Zhang to try and wrestle Rose but with the advance ground game and strength of Rose expecting her to catch Weili late round 2 or 3.

Edgar vs. Vera
Marlon Vera, TKO, R2
40 y/o Edgar and a surging Vera. Think Vera will knock flush in round 2.

Burgos vs. Quarantillo
Shane Burgos, DEC
Burgos scaring me with how fast the turnaround is usually like 7+ months after a nasty KO like that, should be a gritty, grimy dog fight!

Gaethje vs. Chandler
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R1
Heart is telling me Chandler, mind is telling me Gaethje. Just going with who I think has the better durability but I love how simple Chandler keeps it with crazy power.

Michailidis vs. Pereira
Alex Pereira, TKO, R2
Want to do Michailidis but just can't pull the trigger, expecting Pereira to maybe have trouble in round 1 then go balls to the wall to land a nice shot or two to get Andreas out of there.

Iaquinta vs. Green
Bobby Green, DEC
Green beat Moises and had a great rally against Fiviez. Horrible matchup for Iaquinta coming back unless but Green does kill his body to get down to 155.

Hawes vs. Curtis
Phil Hawes, TKO, R2
Who packs a harder punch Cooper or Hawes we will find out.

Shahbazyan vs. Imavov
Edmen Shahbazyan, DEC
Expecting Shahbazyan to dominate early and evade the late rally by Imavov.

Williams vs. Garry
Ian Garry, DEC
This is definitely gonna be a good matchup and test for Garry, if he messes around or takes it lightly could give Williams a knockout dude KO Gregory Rodrigues so do NOT underestimate Williams.

Villante vs. Barnett
Gian Villante, TKO, R2
Complete apple pie ****ter, expecting somebody to gas out and get finished have 0 clue who it will be.

Jacoby vs. Allan
Dustin Jacoby, DEC
Complete mismatch going DEC due to Allan not being finished before expecting him to have toughness to last to a DEC can definitely see a late 3rd round KO also.

Baghdasaryan vs. Souza
Melsik Baghdasaryan, TKO, R1
Melsik by slaughter nothing to say here.

Vergara vs. Osbourne
C.J. Vergara, TKO, R2
Vergara missing weight scares me a lil but Osbourne skills/chin scare me a lot more. Expecting a fire first round and Vergara to end it early in the 2nd. Vergara put a killer in Korea on his back foot and made him doubt himself when he felt CJ's power, have high hopes for this kid.

* Edited at 11.06.2021, 4:07 AM ET *

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,536
  • Post Score: 262

11.06.2021 | 4:36 AM ET

@crimsonchin

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 1 Perfect, 545 Points   |   Tied for 2730th

I wouldn't be shocked if Usman on PED. Usman is such an athlete a part of me doubt if it natural, He never got caught, But passing drug test is easy, He powerful with unlimeted cardio, Also I don't know how he make 170. I don't want to make accustation as it could just be a speciman, As he never got caught with anything

I also think the reason why Usman  beat Colby the first time and why he beats him the second time, Usman is just stronger and has better cardio, That shouldn't of happen as Colby is a cardio machine, And that the reason why Colby doesn't hit hard, I think Colby could be more techical, But Usman being a way better athelte change everything.

* Edited at 11.06.2021, 5:07 AM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

Page 21

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Charlo invokes right to Madrimov title fight
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Renato Canuto vs Damon Morgan
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by 'Not Logan Paul' Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia misses weight, will still fight Devin Haney
  • UFC.com : Steve Erceg Hopes To Open Some Eyes
  • UFC.com : Julian Erosa's Monumental March
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 ticket prices: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler could break promotion's gate record
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’
  • MMAFighting.com : Brendan Loughnane details ‘intense’ training sessions with Conor McGregor ahead of PFL return
  • MMA Mania : UFC Trumps Boxing, Named MVP Of Combat Sports
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Weighs in on Herb Dean Controversy at UFC 300, Would ‘Love’ His Next Fight to Be Against Sean Strickland
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302's Sean Strickland on Paulo Costa: 'I'm going to make that dirty Brazilian bleed'
  • Bad Left Hook : Morrell moves to 175, Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo
  • Bad Left Hook : David Morrell Jr moves to 175, Edgar Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo Alvarez
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul responds to Ronda Rousey criticism: ‘I don’t think she’s a hater’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I see it being an early night’: Haney doesn’t expect Garcia to last the distance
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal proud to see fans bring Miami heat on Nate Diaz: 'He definitely felt it'
  • Middle Easy : Frustrated Ketlen Vieira Believes She is More ‘Deserving’ of a UFC Title Fight Than Kayla Harrison
  • MMA Mania : Chandler Reveals Plans For McGregor’s ‘Hurt Leg’
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter eats head kick after failing to exploit grounded fighter rule