Topic: UFC 268

UFC 268: Usman vs. Covington 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,747
  • Post Score: 47

07.26.2021 | 5:24 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 268
  • Saturday 11.06.2021 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Madison Square Garden
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $9,903,557
  • Attendance: 20,715
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 700,000 | TV Ratings:
  • MMA Bouts: 14
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Kamaru Usman   defeats   Colby Covington   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Rose Namajunas   defeats   Weili Zhang   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Marlon Vera   defeats   Frankie Edgar   via KO/TKO, Front Kick   3:50 Round 3 of 3, 13:50 Total Bout Page
Shane Burgos   defeats   Billy Quarantillo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Justin Gaethje   defeats   Michael Chandler   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alex Pereira   defeats   Andreas Michailidis   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee   0:18 Round 2 of 3, 5:18 Total Bout Page
Bobby Green   defeats   Al Iaquinta   via KO/TKO, Jab-cross to Ground Strikes   2:25 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Chris Curtis   defeats   Phil Hawes   via KO/TKO, Counter Left   4:27 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Nassourdine Imavov   defeats   Edmen Shahbazyan   via KO/TKO, Elbows From Crucifix   4:42 Round 2 of 3, 9:42 Total Bout Page
Ian Machado Garry   defeats   Jordan Williams   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   4:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Chris Barnett   defeats   Gian Villante   via KO/TKO, Wheel Kick to Ground Strikes   2:23 Round 2 of 3, 7:23 Total Bout Page
Dustin Jacoby   defeats   John Allan   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Melsik Baghdasaryan   defeats   Bruno Souza   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ode Osbourne   defeats   CJ Vergara   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 19

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,478  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.05.2021 | 8:12 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 1 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 3137th

Low blow to mention Usman's dad.  I still want Colby to win but that was unnecessary.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

FireFist45
FireFist45
  • Predictions:  5,847  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,137
  • Post Score: 163

11.05.2021 | 8:26 AM ET

The Presser was funny... I laughed

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 3169th

Colby's schtick is hilarious !!   Like Dana White said - these guys get to jump in the octagon and settle their differences from things said.   I can tell smiling Usman did not like a lot of the stuff Colby said.  It was really bothering him.  But his fake smile said it all... 

I think Usman is the better fighter.  But I am wanting to see what new wrinkles he has added to his game or will he do the same ole thing as before. 
DdogMMA
DdogMMA
  • Predictions:  1,589  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  162
  • Post Score: 141

11.05.2021 | 8:28 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 690 Points   |   Tied for 800th

Usman vs. Covington II
Kamaru Usman, TKO, R4
Usman will knock Covington out in one of the later rounds. Covington has no power besides his jab and even though the first fight was closer than people make it seem, I just don't see Covington being able to take over in this fight and he will just be surviving by rounds 4 and 5.

Namajunas vs. Zhang II
Weili Zhang, DEC
Both are elite obviously but I just feel like Zhang is the overall better fighter. Rose gets taken down very easily. There's a path to victory for both women here but I'm taking Weili.

Edgar vs. Vera
Marlon Vera, DEC
I was gonna pick Edgar because I think he can just wrestle Vera for 3 rounds but I just cant back a 40 year old bantamweight. Vera isn't elite but he's a very good fighter that always keeps coming forward. Vera likes to take it slow in the first round though so I wouldn't be shocked if Edgar wins the first and then Vera takes 2 and 3.

Burgos vs. Quarantillo
Shane Burgos, DEC
Burgos is a way better fighter than Quarantillo but there are a few question marks coming into this one. How durable will Burgos be after taking so much damage in his young career? Burgos needs to stop the takedowns and if he does, he's going to **** Billy up.

Gaethje vs. Chandler
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R1
There's levels to this and I don't think Chandler is on the same level as Gaethje. That may sound like a hot take but I just look at Chandler as a quitter. If he can't get that early knockout, he falls apart. Gaethje is more durable and wants it more.

Michailidis vs. Pereira
Alex Pereira, TKO, R1
The UFC matches up an elite kickboxer against a guy that likes to stand and bang. Michailidis got knocked out by Modestas Bukauskas. That's all we need to know.

Iaquinta vs. Green
Bobby Green, DEC
Iaquinta needs to call it quits. He had a great run but losing to Cerrone at that point is a horrible look. Bobby Green is a very good fighter but he makes dumb decisions in the octagon sometimes. He's taking all these losses when he should've won a few of them in my opinion. Green should roll here.

Hawes vs. Curtis
Phil Hawes, DEC
Curtis is pretty good and he should've been in the UFC a long time ago. With that being said, he's a slow starter and he may let Hawes win the first two rounds. I don't think Hawes knocks him out because Curtis is very durable but this is a tough test for Chris. I'm not that high on Hawes, especially at this -350 tag but he should get the job done and his cardio looked a little better in his last fight.

Shahbazyan vs. Imavov
Nassourdine Imavov, DEC
Both guys are very good prospects. Imavov looked like a bust when he first came into the UFC but he's improving in every fight. We all know Edmen sucks on the ground and his cardio is trash, even though he has fought elite guys already. I think Imavov will outwork him and win a decision, but I also wouldn't be shocked if Edmen knocks him out early.

Williams vs. Garry
Ian Garry, TKO, R1
Garry is an A+ prospect and Williams got choked out by Mickey ******* Gall. I'm taking Garry to finish Williams however he wants.

Villante vs. Barnett
Chris Barnett, TKO, R2
We have the peoples main event! Villante is retiring after this match and we all know how retirement matches go. Barnett is going to hurt Villante bad and finish him. Barnett is actually kinda decent, maybe not UFC caliber but he's not completely terrible.

Baghdasaryan vs. Souza
Melsik Baghdasaryan, TKO, R1
I was wondering why Melsik was a pretty big betting favorite because we still don't know much about him but then I looked at tape on Souza. Bruno is a decent fighter with a karate style but he keeps his hands super low and never goes for takedowns. I feel like Melsik is going to brutally knock this guy out.

Vergara vs. Osbourne
Ode Osbourne, SUB, R1
Vergara is horrible off his back and even though Osbourne doesn't like going for takedowns or submissions, it's an easy path to victory for him. I think Osbourne subs Vergara. Vergara looked good on the contender series but I'm not really high on him overall.

FireFist45
FireFist45
  • Predictions:  5,847  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,137
  • Post Score: 163

11.05.2021 | 8:30 AM ET

Triple-chin Morgan got called out

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 3169th

Colby calling out John Morgan -the reporter- to do 10 push-ups was funny.

I laughed hard on that one.  

Kkkomboo
Kkkomboo
  • Predictions:  723  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  597
  • Post Score: 126

11.05.2021 | 8:48 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 670 Points   |   Tied for 1025th

Usman vs. Covington II
Kamaru Usman, TKO, R3
Colby already lose mental war

Namajunas vs. Zhang II
Rose Namajunas, SUB, R2
Rose the best. Triple clown can't help Chinese woman

"It's never too late to develop your critical thinking capacities"

ModestMan
ModestMan
  • Predictions:  543  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,870
  • Post Score: 116

11.05.2021 | 8:49 AM ET

Training Camps

Predictions: 6 of 6 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 4013th

How do you guys determine what training camp a fighter is actually in??? Most of the time there's 3 different sources giving 3 different training camps/associations for a fighter, why is it all over the place & which is most trustworthy/up to date?

"WMMA = 50/50 no matter the odds"

Kkkomboo
Kkkomboo
  • Predictions:  723  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  597
  • Post Score: 126

11.05.2021 | 9:04 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 670 Points   |   Tied for 1025th

Gaethje vs. Chandler
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R2
MMA Gods tell me, that Mike will get injury and will not go on third round

"It's never too late to develop your critical thinking capacities"

KyleH
KyleH
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  71.1%
  • Forum Posts:  6,529
  • Post Score: 196

11.05.2021 | 9:36 AM ET

Predictions: 13 of 14 Winners, 1 Perfect, 720 Points   |   487th Place

Everyone on the main card made weight

"There's 3 things in life that excite me. A woman, of course. Dinosaurs, and the violence of the Octagon" - GSP

SeMiAt
SeMiAt
  • Predictions:  1,985  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  15
  • Post Score: 13

11.05.2021 | 9:36 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 520 Points   |   Tied for 3030th

Usman vs. Covington II
Colby Covington, TKO, R3
I can't verbally stand Usman, it's on par with Woodley levels of cringe, at least Colby is an act. That said, Usman is entering GOAT territory. 14 fight win streak and closing in on the record. He hinted at retirement which scares me. **** picking here and taking Colby for the upset. Let Chaos ensue!

Namajunas vs. Zhang II
Rose Namajunas, DEC
Does Zhang have the tools to win? Yes. Does Rose have the tools to win? Yes. I think Zhang has a grappling edge, while rose has the striking advantage. We are going to see a 5 round war here. Rose 48-47.

Edgar vs. Vera
Marlon Vera, TKO, R2
Hard to pick against Frankie, but he is 40 now. I think Marlon is good enough to avoid most takedowns and win the striking battle.

Burgos vs. Quarantillo
Billy Quarantillo, TKO, R3
Pretty even matchup. Burgos has been knocked down his last 2 fights. I expect Quarantillo to do the same thing and finish him late in the fight.

Gaethje vs. Chandler
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R1
Both guys can crack, but Gaethje has the better chin. Everyone wins here. Expect violence. Doubt this makes it out of round 1.

Michailidis vs. Pereira
Alex Pereira, TKO, R1
Should be a nasty Pereira knockout. UFC will angle for an Adesanya rematch narrative. Pereira will likely get strikers all the way to a title shot. If Pereira wins, expect him to be matched against Uriah Hall, Darren Till, or Sean Strickland.

Iaquinta vs. Green
Al Iaquinta, DEC
Not sure what to expect out of raging Al here. Is he showing up to compete or for a paycheck? Green seems to consistently get ****** on scorecards. Going with Al here.

Hawes vs. Curtis
Phil Hawes, TKO, R1
Hopefully Hawes get into the top 15 after this one. He has beaten 2 in a row where his opponents were rewarded with higher ranked fighters in Daukus and Imavov. Curtis is a welterweight. I expect a violent Hawes KO.

Shahbazyan vs. Imavov
Edmen Shahbazyan, TKO, R1
Tough pick. Shahbazyan looks so damn good in his recent losses during round 1. Once his gas tank empties its over for him. Round 1 finish or Imavov pours it on in rounds 2 and 3.

Williams vs. Garry
Ian Garry, TKO, R1
This looks like a highlight squash match. Expect a Garry finish.

Villante vs. Barnett
Chris Barnett, TKO, R1
Punching bag vs. a bag of milk. Villante is horrible at this point in his career. Barnett easy KO.

Jacoby vs. Allan
Dustin Jacoby, TKO, R1
Jacoby has looked pretty damn good as of late. Unless Allen puts him out, I don't see a way for Jacoby to lose this.

Baghdasaryan vs. Souza
Melsik Baghdasaryan, TKO, R2
Both game fighters. Tough pick here. Souza has had a few recent split decisions. Hard to pick him here.

Vergara vs. Osbourne
C.J. Vergara, TKO, R2
Vergara KO rd. 2. Osbourne got rocked by Kape 2 months ago. I can't imagine he is fully recovered after 3 months.

Fremen
Fremen
  • Predictions:  1,368  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3,579
  • Post Score: 218

11.05.2021 | 9:44 AM ET

Predictions: 13 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 825 Points   |   Tied for 42nd with 1 other

I do not understand how can you like either of these main event guys

"****."

shaqalicious023
shaqalicious023
  • Predictions:  494  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  120
  • Post Score: 82

11.05.2021 | 9:46 AM ET

For my Balkan people

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 1759th

Speedo424
Speedo424
  • Predictions:  683  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  143
  • Post Score: 266

11.05.2021 | 9:49 AM ET

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 680 Points   |   Tied for 890th

Am I missing something? 

Why is Chris Barnett from Spain? ...
ModestMan
ModestMan
  • Predictions:  543  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,870
  • Post Score: 116

11.05.2021 | 9:56 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 6 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 4013th

UFC using a digital weigh scale! Hopefully that's protocol going forward. Awesome to see that transition

* Edited at 11.05.2021, 9:56 AM ET *

"WMMA = 50/50 no matter the odds"

stuthehistoryguy
stuthehistoryguy
  • Predictions:  10,369  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  737
  • Post Score: 316

11.05.2021 | 10:18 AM ET

"I do not understand how can you like either of these main event guys"

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 2833rd

Usman wrestled at my parents' alma mater. Kearney, NE - gots to represent.

"I'm not on your side. I'm not on his side. I'm on the side or being right. - Richard Harrison Sr"

Sabbath
Sabbath
  • Predictions:  1,861  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,437
  • Post Score: 239

11.05.2021 | 10:27 AM ET

adrndc11

Predictions: 2 of 6 Winners, 1 Perfect, 125 Points   |   Tied for 4502nd

I respect Colby a lot, because he’s willing to sacrifice no other fighter, especially nobody else at that press conference will sacrifice: Respect from his piers. All that truly matters to him is the belt and proving everyone wrong. Regardless how you feel about him, that an admirable and dangerous character trait to have. Plus, you gotta respect a fighter who competes at his natural weight, especially a wrestler. 
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 2 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 6 hours, and 52 minutes from now.
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,811  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  31,915
  • Post Score: 87

11.05.2021 | 10:38 AM ET

@modestman

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 1 Perfect, 570 Points   |   Tied for 2402nd

Usually just check the fighters IG or watch interviews they do before the fight. If they make a big camp change chances are they, or a reporter will make it clear that their camp change was beneficial 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

KyleH
KyleH

11.05.2021 | 10:43 AM ET

Just switched to Zhang, it’s a 50/50 fight but I hope she survives the early rounds and grinds Rose down

"There's 3 things in life that excite me. A woman, of course. Dinosaurs, and the violence of the Octagon" - GSP

KyleH
KyleH

11.05.2021 | 10:50 AM ET

Bruno Souza missed weight

KyleH
KyleH

11.05.2021 | 11:00 AM ET

CJ Vergara also missed weight

Dankmemes112
Dankmemes112
  • Predictions:  1,079  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  245
  • Post Score: 294

11.05.2021 | 11:33 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 650 Points   |   Tied for 1310th

Gaethje vs. Chandler
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R1
I think with Gaethje's counter striking and always improving footwork he can fight a very smart fight in this one. He's gonna make it hard for Chandler to land his big powerful strikes and to get the takedowns because Gaethje just has that leg kick threat and times his strikes well. And when he times his strikes he can put almost anyone to sleep, especially against Chandler when Chandler may have his hands low and doesn't have the most amazing chin himself. Chandler can definitely win he's got the power to hurt literally anyone in the division and put them to sleep, but I do think Gaethje will show higher IQ and fight at the pace he wants too

Page 19

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Why Arman Tsarukyan finds Charles Oliveira 'more dangerous' than UFC champ Islam Makhachev
  • MMA Mania : Jama Vs. Jiri - ‘Make It Happen!’
  • MMA Junkie : Gegard Mousasi frustrated by 'radio silence' from PFL, feeling pressured to 'take a pay cut'
  • MMA Mania : Battle of the BMFs? ‘I Would Love To Bust Gaethje’s Face Up’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I just need to land the correct shot and he’s gone’: Riakporhe confident he’ll beat Billam-Smith again
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ian Machado Garry calls for UFC 303 co-main event vs. ‘p****’ Colby Covington, says ‘I’ll retire him for good’
  • MMA Junkie : Jessica Andrade: Title shot after UFC 300 win is the 'natural course of things'
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Haney vs Garcia preview and Ryan’s chances at the upset
  • Jits Magazine : Subversiv 10 Full Results And Review
  • Jits Magazine : Andorra And Brazil Bring Stellar AJP Tournaments To Their Territories
  • MMAFighting.com : New video shows Max Holloway’s instant backstage reaction after legendary Justin Gaethje knockout
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Magomed By KO? Pereira ‘Doesn’t Have A Chin’
  • MMA Mania : Bellator Paris Fight Card, Rumors For Nurmagomedov vs. Shabliy
  • MMA Mania : New Title? McGregor Vs. Chandler ‘Should Be For A Belt’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 300 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Junkie : Deiveson Figueiredo: 'I deserve to fight for the championship next' after UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Should Max Holloway go back to 145 or stay at 155 after BMF title win?
  • MMA Mania : Math! Harrison Proves ‘PFL Champions Can Beat Anyone’
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Calls For Interim Title Fight with Julianna Pena at UFC 303: ‘I Will Make Myself Available’
  • MMA Junkie : Judges Gonna Judge: Did Arman Tsarukyan deserve UFC 300 nod vs. Charles Oliveira?