Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Costa vs. Vettori

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,994
  • Post Score: 47

07.20.2021 | 10:49 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 10.23.2021 at 01:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN+
  • Name: UFC Fight Night: Costa vs. Vettori
  • Also Known As: UFC Vegas 41
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UFC APEX
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Brendan Fitzgerald, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Joe Martinez
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Michael Bisping
  • MMA Bouts: 14
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Marvin Vettori   defeats   Paulo Costa   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Grant Dawson   vs.   Ricky Glenn   Ends in a Draw, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jessica-Rose Clark   defeats   Joselyne Edwards   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alex Caceres   defeats   Seung Woo Choi   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:31 Round 2 of 3, 8:31 Total Bout Page
Francisco Trinaldo   defeats   Dwight Grant   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nicolae Negumereanu   defeats   Ike Villanueva   via KO/TKO, Right Hook to Ground Strikes   1:18 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Gregory Rodrigues   defeats   Jun Yong Park   via KO/TKO, Punches (standing TKO)   3:13 Round 2 of 3, 8:13 Total Bout Page
Mason Jones   defeats   David Onama   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tabatha Ricci   defeats   Maria Oliveira   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jamie Pickett   defeats   Laureano Staropoli   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jai Herbert   defeats   Khama Worthy   via KO/TKO, Hooks to Ground Strikes   2:47 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jeff Molina   defeats   Daniel Lacerda   via KO/TKO, Counter Right to Ground Strikes   0:46 Round 2 of 3, 5:46 Total Bout Page
Randa Markos   defeats   Livinha Souza   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jonathan Martinez   defeats   Zviad Lazishvili   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 12

Amettxpc
Amettxpc
  • Predictions:  12,799  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,187
  • Post Score: 192

10.22.2021 | 4:23 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 457th

Clark vs. Edwards
Joselyne Edwards, DEC
A historic week for the MMA of my country that opened with the victory in DWCS and obtaining the contract for Piera Rodriguez (who lived and trained for many years in Panama, in addition to doing most of his career at UCC), the return of the events of UCC (which had not been held to a large extent in Panama since January 31, 2020) and could close in a great way with Joselyne Edwards' second victory in the UFC. The matchup is 50-50: both have good striking and both are among the fighters with the least walk around weight in the women's bantamweight, but I consider that the constant injuries that Rose-Clark has had in her knees and because I consider that the TDD Margin Joselyne's is a bit misleading: Joselyne has a good BJJ level and is comfortable working from her back, the problem is that although she can seek submission, the long control time is a disadvantage compared to judges in rounds with even standing ( as in the Edwards vs. Karol Rosa fight), Joselyne Edwards is mainly a striker because of her boxing experience and I think that for this fight even though her main coaches on her team are from BJJ, it is time she did everything for keep the fight standing (or come back quickly if Rose-Clark gets a takedown) that she relies on her hands and is planted in a match where it is mostly kickboxing exchanges, in her first 2 fights she looked very good in the standing exchanges. She already has the attitude to look for difficult and experienced rivals like Rose-Clark and Karol Rosa, now she must show the attitude of trusting in the qualities where she has always excelled (standing and with the power of her hands).

"Moicano Wants Money!"

TWJake
TWJake
  • Predictions:  6,091  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  2,492
  • Post Score: 338

10.22.2021 | 4:25 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 1493rd

@Baldric she gives me brazillian meadow soprano vibes

8/10

"I know many a troops that I visit when I went to Iraq in 2005... 2-uh excuse me in 19-or.. 05' 06' 07' 08' 09' 2010 2011. I went from the Korwaiten border! All the way up to the Turkish border!" -Tito Ortiz

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,944
  • Post Score: 247

10.22.2021 | 4:33 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 1377th

Costa vs. Vettori
Marvin Vettori, SUB, R4
Paulo Costa is a hot mess rn can't even bother to make weight. I see Vettori taking over in the later rounds via a finish.

"🌽⚽️"

Fremen
Fremen
  • Predictions:  1,368  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3,579
  • Post Score: 218

10.22.2021 | 4:50 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 2503rd

dem Brazillian genes

* Edited at 10.22.2021, 4:50 PM ET *

"****."

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

10.22.2021 | 4:56 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1726th

@Jake that's a better picture. I'll bump her up to a 7.5.

She looks like she borrowed Paiva's hirsute forearms for the shoot in the photograph duck posted. 

* Edited at 10.22.2021, 4:56 PM ET *

Dankmemes112
Dankmemes112
  • Predictions:  1,079  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  245
  • Post Score: 294

10.22.2021 | 4:56 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 915th

Caceres vs. Choi
Seung Woo Choi, DEC
This is an absolute banger. Both guys are kinda similar in a way, they're both lanky guys who like to stick on the outside, but Choi is a lot more dangerous with his striking. Caceres has the much better footwork but he leaves his hands low and relies on the footwork to move out the way of strikes. I don't think this will work very well against someone like Choi who's just a nightmare to get inside off and a nightmare to deal with on the outside as well. Choi's timing is so good, he might struggle to find it early because of Alex's tricky style but he'll get it eventually and I think he can fight on the front foot and get the win in this one

Casual008
Casual008
  • Predictions:  4,535  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,865
  • Post Score: 259

10.22.2021 | 5:10 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1572nd

Seung Woo Choi looks like a massive Lightweight, how in the world does he make 145? Costa could learn a lot

"They're sorcerers they don't get knocked out"

Hadrian Caesar
Hadrian Caesar
  • Predictions:  904  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,114
  • Post Score: 338

10.22.2021 | 5:15 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 14 Winners, 1 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 2635th

You reckon Costa gets cut if he loses this one? 

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once." - Julius Caesar.

Erison
Erison
  • Predictions:  1,678  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  4,896
  • Post Score: 227

10.22.2021 | 5:18 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 1622nd

After Costa no call no show dropped out of like three fights after they were announced and now this… can’t imagine Dana is loving this guy. 
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,115  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

10.22.2021 | 5:25 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 1057th

Costa does not look out of shape. i think he was to big for is weight class (like everybody said since he nearly kill Johny Hendrick) and is body finally stop responding to stupid huge weight cut.

"Never go down without a fight"

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,115  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  10,536
  • Post Score: 109

10.22.2021 | 6:46 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 655 Points   |   Tied for 164th

God would I risk it all to be stuck in a cage with Ricci...

Oliveira has ****** TD D but her striking is really decent, this whole fight comes down to Ricci's takedowns imo.

* Edited at 10.22.2021, 6:47 PM ET *

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

ThaFilthiestCasual
ThaFilthiestCasual
  • Predictions:  488  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 178

10.22.2021 | 7:09 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 1622nd

Clark vs. Edwards
Jessica-Rose Clark, DEC
If jessy doesn’t wrestle she will definitely lose, 60% confidence she will win

Negumereanu vs. Villanueva
Ike Villanueva, DEC
Coin toss

Park vs. Rodrigues
Gregory Rodrigues, DEC
Coin Toss

Souza vs. Markos
Livinha Souza, DEC
Coin toss

Martinez vs. Lazishvili
Jonathan Martinez, DEC
Zvsid could just as easily bulldoze him

GunnStarr
GunnStarr

10.22.2021 | 8:13 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 1965th

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,141
  • Post Score: 333

10.22.2021 | 9:27 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 380 Points   |   Tied for 2424th

She might be a 7.5 but dat ass is a good 9.

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

Waynestew
Waynestew
  • Predictions:  5,318  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 150

10.22.2021 | 10:25 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 2609th

Martinez vs. Lazishvili
Zviad Lazishvili, SUB, R1
Uni

"The will must be stronger than the skill. "

RichOsama
RichOsama
  • Predictions:  1,793  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,190
  • Post Score: 47

10.22.2021 | 10:30 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 672nd

Costa vs. Vettori
Marvin Vettori, SUB, R4
Lock

Dawson vs. Glenn
Grant Dawson, DEC
Lock

Caceres vs. Choi
Seung Woo Choi, TKO, R3
Lock

Grant vs. Trinaldo
Francisco Trinaldo, SUB, R2
I just can't see Dwight winning.

Ike Villanueva, TKO, R1
Ike's UFC career is on the line. Feel like hell start this quick and land a massive uppercut.

Park vs. Rodrigues
Gregory Rodrigues, TKO, R2
Robocop to be robocop and withstand the takedowns in the first and put pressure in the second.

Jones vs. Onama
Mason Jones, SUB, R2
Onama is one of the best prospects. Hate when the UFC does this.

Ricci vs. Oliveira
Tabatha Ricci, SUB, R1
Ricci will waste no time getting this down and securing a sub.

Staropoli vs. Pickett
Jamie Pickett, TKO, R1
Pickett at +185 and has a huge reach, striking and power advantage. He'll pressure hard in the first and get it done.

Worthy vs. Herbert
Jai Herbert, TKO, R1
KO with a right hook

Molina vs. da Silva
Jeff Molina, TKO, R1
TKO due to unanswered shots against the cage

Souza vs. Markos
Livinha Souza, DEC
Snooze fest

Martinez vs. Lazishvili
Jonathan Martinez, TKO, R3
Striker vs a grappler..got martinez weathering the storm and laying it on late Rd 2 and getting a Rd 3 TKO.

Andy35000
Andy35000
  • Predictions:  51  |  76.5%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: 228

10.22.2021 | 10:50 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 605 Points   |   Tied for 361st

Dawson vs. Glenn
Grant Dawson, SUB, R3
I pick Dawson on that one, a well-rounded fighter with an impressive 8 fight winning streak with a gorgeous knock out last time. I think he will try to smother Glenn with a frantic pace to submit him.

Clark vs. Edwards
Jessica-Rose Clark, TKO, R3
I loved her last fight so I'll pick Jessy Jess on that one, I think her experience and striking can make the difference.

Caceres vs. Choi
Seung Woo Choi, DEC
Tricky one 'cause on the one hand we got Caceres, in his now recurring role of gatekeeper, on a four fight winning streak that shows which shows he's gained real maturity lastly and is fighting more intelligently and on the other hand we have Choi that is progressively finding his marks and that will try to confirm he can be considered as a real prospect. I think it will be difficult to knock Caceres out and I think Choi is not an expert on the ground so I'll pick a decision win for Choi though I'm really not sure.

Grant vs. Trinaldo
Francisco Trinaldo, DEC
Even if Trinaldo is no longer in his prime, I think those two don't fight in the same league. Grant is an average fighter when Trinaldo is a seasoned veteran. I think Trinaldo will get the W by unanimous decision.

Nick Negumereanu, TKO, R2
To me Villanueva does not have the level for the UFC and I think it will be a one-sided fight

Andy35000
Andy35000
  • Predictions:  51  |  76.5%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: 228

10.22.2021 | 10:59 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 605 Points   |   Tied for 361st

Costa vs. Vettori
Marvin Vettori, TKO, R3
That's ridiculous! What a shame for a "professionnal" fighter to do that. I'm totally lost about that fight and I just hope Vettori will teach Costa a lesson of respect.

Saikou
Saikou
  • Predictions:  2,777  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,939
  • Post Score: 143

10.23.2021 | 12:13 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 2376th

Park vs. Rodrigues
Jun Yong Park, DEC
50/50 Either Park controls the pace and gets Rodrigues the same he did Tafon in the later rounds or Robocop gets a finish in the first/second

Jones vs. Onama
Mason Jones, TKO, R2
Onama is great striker, so I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he wins but the fact that its on short notice and the fact that Jones has trained for Alan in two separate camps, a guy with a decently similar style to Onama, makes me pick Jones

Ricci vs. Oliveira
Tabatha Ricci, SUB, R2
Eh both have faced really bad competition so I really don't know how to pick this.

Staropoli vs. Pickett
Jamie Pickett, DEC
55/45 Pickett is so much bigger and longer. I can see the length causing problems for Staropoli as he tries to close the distance to pepper Pickett from the inside. Pickett could even do to Staropoli what Roman did which is use his size and clinch up with Staropoli from time to time.

Worthy vs. Herbert
Jai Herbert, TKO, R1
Whoever lands the first significant strike to the chin, wins imo lol

Molina vs. da Silva
Jeff Molina, TKO, R3
Da Silva is a GREAT prospect imo. He's got great striking, both with kicks and punches. If Molina gets it to the ground, he'll still have to becareful, Da Silva will attempt a bunch of submissions from his back. The down side with that obviously is that he won't too much emergency to get up and Molina being the great grappler he is himself, if he manages to show enough defensive submission capabilities, pass the guard and get into a slightly dominant position (Side control or even half guard), then he'll most likely be able to keep it there or even get a SUB win of his own. On the feet, Molina's pace constant pressure will cause problems to Da Silva, especially once the fight goes past the first round, imo. So as long Molina keeps it safe and survives the first round, then I believe his pace and pressure will eventually get to Da Silva and get him the win either by a late finish or by a 29-27 sort of a decision.

Martinez vs. Lazishvili
Jonathan Martinez, DEC
I can see both men winning tbh. If Lazishvili decides to put a full grappling style gameplan while keeping it on the feet as little as possible, then he'll most likely get the win. Ofc every fight starts on the feet so he'll naturally be forced to strike with Martinez for a bit of time and given Martinez's knee KO wins in the past, I don't think shooting naked takedowns (especially when he's expecting you to grapple) is the smartest thing to do on Martinez. Lazishvili has to keep it in boxing range whilst pressuring Martinez, get it to the cage/the clinch and then start your wrestling attacks. Now, the reason I have Martinez is the fact that Lazishvili usually keeps it on the feet for a bit too long and against Martinez I just don't like that. I believe that there will be times where Lazishvili DOES get it to the ground but it'll be after spending about 2 min and a half on the feet with Martinez and getting outpointed throught the entire time. So imo Martinez wins a close decision, something like a 29-28 but I could absolutely be wrong here though.

"Jreynolds future champ"

Saikou
Saikou
  • Predictions:  2,777  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,939
  • Post Score: 143

10.23.2021 | 12:14 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 2376th

Caceres vs. Choi
Seung Woo Choi, TKO, R3
Something I picked up on the Zalal fight, is that Choi did not deal with his jab. Now, I don't know if it was exclusively Zalal's jab or if Choi just has an overall hard time with them but if it's the latter then oh boy that's not good for someone like Caceres who throws quite alot of volume. However, with all that volume also comes a massive size disadvantage, Choi isn't much longer than Alex but man is he going to be bigger. Caceres is a guy who's fought at Batamweight before, Choi looks like a lightweight in there half the time, he's for sure on the bigger side of the featherweight pool. Also, Choi doesn't necessarily have to strike, he can also mix in takedowns, like we saw him do in the Zalal fight. Caceres showed great wrestling defense against Croom but let's be honest here, Croom isn't really the best fighter in the UFC right now and he doesn't come close to having the size advantage that Choi does. Choi will also be able to pick Caceres apart with his straight punches and kicks given the aforementionned reach advantage he has on Alex. So with all that said, I will side the with the massive favorite here, Seung Woo Choi.

"Jreynolds future champ"

Page 12

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case