Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Dern vs. Rodriguez

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,961
  • Post Score: 47

06.25.2021 | 11:03 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 10.09.2021 at 02:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN+
  • Name: UFC Fight Night: Dern vs. Rodriguez
  • Also Known As: UFC Vegas 39
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UFC APEX
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Paul Felder
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Paul Felder
  • MMA Bouts: 9
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Marina Rodriguez   defeats   Mackenzie Dern   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Randy Brown   defeats   Jared Gooden   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Matheus Nicolau   defeats   Tim Elliott   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mariya Agapova   defeats   Sabina Mazo   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   0:53 Round 3 of 3, 10:53 Total Bout Page
Chris Gutierrez   defeats   Felipe Colares   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alexandr Romanov   defeats   Jared Vanderaa   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:43 Round 2 of 3, 9:43 Total Bout Page
Damon Jackson   defeats   Charles Rosa   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Lupita Godinez   defeats   Silvana Gómez Juárez   via Submission, Armbar   4:14 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Steve Garcia   defeats   Charlie Ontiveros   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   1:51 Round 2 of 3, 6:51 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 2

JohnVolcan
JohnVolcan
  • Predictions:  5,334  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  624
  • Post Score: 235

09.09.2021 | 11:13 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 9 Winners, 5 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 420th

Rodriguez vs. Dern
Mackenzie Dern, SUB, R3
I don't want to be rude to these women, as they are talented fighters, but that is a TERRIBLE main event on top of a MISERABLE card. The second best fight on the card might be Tim Elliott vs Nicolau, or the Romanov fight. It badly needs something really, really fun as a co-main. How about Paul Craig (vs Gustafsson if he's ok, or really whoever in the rankings) ?

Romanov vs. Vanderaa
Alexander Romanov, TKO, R2
Romanov might have some toughness issues... He dominated the beggening of his last fight, but as soon as he started to lose the fight, he looked lost and panicked. He's lucky Espino gave him a knee in the balls, so he could take the win. I don't want to be too hard on the guy, but he needs a good showing here.

Hawes vs. Winn
Phil Hawes, TKO, R2
If Hawes gets tired, Winn has a chance. But his cardio isn't great either, so...

"Check my ART here if you want : https://www.instagram.com/john.volcan/"

2021.09.10 11:20 PM ET

bout announced

Randy Brown vs. Jared Gooden at 170 lbs (77.1 kg)
2021.09.19 10:03 AM ET

event start time updated

From Saturday, October 9 at 6:00pm ET to Saturday, October 9 at 1:00pm ET
Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,136
  • Post Score: 333

09.24.2021 | 10:21 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 9 Winners, 4 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 656th

Phil Hawes vs Deron Winn. Megatron vs Minitron 😎

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,542
  • Post Score: 262

09.27.2021 | 4:37 AM ET

@johnvolcan

Predictions: 7 of 9 Winners, 4 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 521st

I strongly disagree about this being a bad main event. This might be one of the better fight. Marina Rodriguez is one bad ass ***** on the feet, And is pretty bad on the ground. If Dern get the takedown. Marina would get submitted. If she doesn't get taken down. She bludgeon her. Both girl wrestling aren't the best. Mackenzie takedown accuracy is 10%. And either way it should be a fun time. And I can see it being a very momentum changing main fight

But Honestly this is a rough matchup for Marina, And a nice matchup for Dern. Dern is tough and I think eventually she get the takedown and submits her. But I will say. Makensee did get her rank by beating  Nina Nunes , who just gave birth recently. And Marina went throgh the rough road of rough matchup mostly. I could be wrong. But I have to pick Mackensee

And John Volcon. Your not wrong about the rest of the card. But your not right. It not a terrible card. It actully quite decent when you look at it

* Edited at 09.27.2021, 4:46 AM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

09.27.2021 | 5:04 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 9 Winners, 2 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 625th

That is a very unflattering photograph of Dern. That is what Kieth Moon would look like if he went to a costume party dressed as Mackenzie Dern.

Do better UFC.

* Edited at 09.27.2021, 5:05 AM ET *

2021.09.27 7:43 PM ET

bout status update

Trizano vs. Skelly Changed from Confirmed to Cancelled
DivineUlt
DivineUlt
  • Predictions:  920  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  152
  • Post Score: 106

09.28.2021 | 1:25 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 9 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1485th

Godinez = 🔒 

"I’m not impressed by your performance"

Fremen
Fremen
  • Predictions:  1,368  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3,579
  • Post Score: 218

10.03.2021 | 4:04 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 9 Winners, 4 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 1430th

2 disappointing cards upcoming

"****."

flamingobambi
flamingobambi

10.03.2021 | 5:07 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 9 Winners, 4 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 198th

Rodriguez vs. Dern
Marina Rodriguez, TKO, R4
Dern's going to struggle to get the takedown. Five rounds favors Marina as the much better striker. I like her distance control enough to win this fight.

Lois Waterford
Lois Waterford
  • Predictions:  370  |  58.1%
  • Forum Posts:  11
  • Post Score: 227

10.03.2021 | 12:55 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 9 Winners, 3 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 972nd

Rodriguez vs. Dern
Marina Rodriguez, DEC
The only path to victory on this fight for Dern is a submission, which could very much happen cause she's an incredible jiu jitsu practitioner. However, Mackenzie's wrestling isn't that great and if she stands with Rodriguez, she's gonna have some problems.... the way I see it, Marina will use her size advantage to keep her distance and piece up Dern for 5 rounds with her amazing striking.

Brown vs. Gooden
Randy Brown, TKO, R2
I just feel that Brown is better than Gooden in every area this fight might go, and if he picks up the pace and uses his experience to his advantage, he might be able to eventually stop Jared in order to get the win.

Elliott vs. Nicolau
Tim Elliott, DEC
I wasn't exactly surprised with Nicolau's "victory" in his last fight against Kape... Elliot is a really durable guy and he's only lost to elite competition, if he stays busy and avoids Matheus's submission attempts, he should be able to win this fight on points.

Agapova vs. Mazo
Sabina Mazo, DEC
This fight is a bit weird but it could actually be a banger and has potential to be FOTN. IMO Agapova will be way faster than Mazo, however she does tend to gas after the 1st round, so I see Sabina winning this fight by decision if she can avoid the initial storm of Mariya.

Hawes vs. Winn
Phil Hawes, TKO, R3
I could be very wrong but this actually seems like a mismatch to me. Winn hasn't exaclty looked impressive in his UFC appeareances and he's now facing Hawes who's a beast inside the octagon and will have a huge size advantage. I'm expecting a very dominant performance from Phil with a late finish as Deron will probably be gased out in the 3rd round...

Gutierrez vs. Colares
Chris Gutierrez, DEC
An interesting fight between 2 guys who've had a nice run in the UFC so far. Should be a close one but I'll side with Gutierrez as I believe he'll be the better prepared fighter and I'm hoping to see a solid performance from him.

Staropoli vs. Pickett
Jamie Pickett, DEC
Both of these fighters are going through a bad fase of their careers... I'm predicting that they'll both be agressive and hungry to get a win but I'll have to slightly favor Pickett and his massive reach advantage over Staropoli...

Romanov vs. Vanderaa
Alexander Romanov, SUB, R2
This is a very exciting fight between 2 huge guys who are incredible beasts inside the octagon, I will have to favor Romanova cause his submission game is excellent and Vanderaa has shown some problems with his ground skills in the past.

Rosa vs. Jackson
Damon Jackson, DEC
I believe this will be a close fight but Damon Jackson has fought overall better competition than Charles Rosa and if he can play smart, then I think he can confortably pull a win on Saturday night.

Godinez vs. Hughes
Lupita Godinez, DEC
These girls have fought each other twice as amateurs resulting a draw and a Godinez win. I do see some talent in Lupita and she'll probably show more potential with a full camp. On the other hand, Sam hasn't looked good at all in the UFC so I'm going to side with the Mexican fighter to get the win.

Ontiveros vs. Garcia
Steve Garcia, TKO, R1
These are 2 savage guys that are always chasing the finish, but in this one I do think that Garcia will get the win as he's a more consistent fighter than Ontiveros.

THE CHALLENGER
THE CHALLENGER
  • Predictions:  44  |  72.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 371

10.03.2021 | 12:55 PM ET

THE FOLLOWING HAVE BEEN CHALLENGED

Predictions: 6 of 8 Winners, 2 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 2086th

"I'm back. I will find you. I will challenge you. I will beat you. You can't run. You can't hide. You can't avoid THE CHALLENGER"

Rigno
Rigno
  • Predictions:  5,037  |  70.4%
  • Forum Posts:  388
  • Post Score: 215

10.03.2021 | 12:56 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 9 Winners, 4 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 834th

yooo that's me!!!

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,943
  • Post Score: 247

10.03.2021 | 2:03 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 9 Winners, 3 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 2626th

Lets gooooooo!! I've been on fire with these UFC cards recently so you have a tough bout ahead.

"🌽⚽️"

Rigno
Rigno

10.03.2021 | 2:06 PM ET

he challenged me AND cheeseball? this man is in for a beating 

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"

Rigno
Rigno

10.03.2021 | 2:07 PM ET

oh **** why did it put it as a giant image lmao

Cheeseball
Cheeseball

10.03.2021 | 2:12 PM ET

Just checked the card out. There's a ton of 50/50 matchups in here.

"🌽⚽️"

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,115  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

10.03.2021 | 2:21 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 9 Winners, 4 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 245th

not sure if its close match or its only becuase theres a lot of unknow guy on the card. 

"Never go down without a fight"

Cheeseball
Cheeseball

10.03.2021 | 2:36 PM ET

Ah yes you know your in the UFC thread when your getting random downvotes.

"🌽⚽️"

phillip53
phillip53
  • Predictions:  45,779  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,398
  • Post Score: 305

10.03.2021 | 2:41 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 9 Winners, 4 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 1745th

anyone got a line on whats up with the ontiveros/garcia fight? ontiveros is listed as a middle weight and hes fighting at lightweight? something seems wrong with this picture.

"you dont need religion to have morals. if you can't tell right from wrong you lack empathy and humanity, not religion."

TheMess63
TheMess63
  • Predictions:  7,699  |  73.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,252
  • Post Score: 137

10.03.2021 | 4:39 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 9 Winners, 0 Perfect, 315 Points   |   Tied for 2475th

"Records are for djs"

jrscolwell
jrscolwell
  • Predictions:  46,389  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  774
  • Post Score: 149

10.03.2021 | 5:00 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 9 Winners, 3 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 1165th

^Ontiveros was fighting at WW, took a short-notice fight at MW against Holland for his UFC debut but was way undersized, and now is making the drop from 170 to 155 as his "normal" weight class
Sirlay23
Sirlay23
  • Predictions:  922  |  50.5%
  • Forum Posts:  23
  • Post Score: 139

10.03.2021 | 5:06 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 8 Winners, 0 Perfect, 280 Points   |   Tied for 2683rd

Ive got Marina by KO in that main event.Everybody talks about derns "improving striking" but make no mistake she will be wins behind marina. Also Marina only recent loss is too carla Esparza via a skin tight split decision. Carla was able to get takedowns but Dern is no where near Carla's wrestling level. I would say Serbs wrestling is close to Michelle waterson which for the most part was a fighter marina able to avoid the ground with but only one round. I really dont see how dern pulls this one off.

My personal odds

-300 rodrigues
+215 dern

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?