Tapology Forums

Next for Edson Barboza (#9)?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

rkn5
rkn5
  • Predictions:  2,049  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  569
  • Post Score: 35

05.19.2021 | 10:49 AM ET

Barboza showed out versus a tough Shane Burgos (#13). Both guys are known as excellent strikers and Barboza showed his level at 35 years old, knocking Burgos out. 

It was a big emotional boost for Barboza to get the victory Saturday night. Physically he looks perfect, and his mental is high. 

So, WHO WILL BE NEXT, for the always exciting Edson Barboza?

1. Giga Chikadze (#10) - This is THE fight to make. Two amazing kick-boxers. Wow. #9 vs #10. Similar styles...dynamic...perfect matchup. Do you agree?

2. Calvin Kattar (#5) - A lot of people think this is the fight to make, but I don't. Of course, if they make it, I won't be disappointed. But, stylistically, the Giga fight makes more sense. Nevertheless, this fight would be an excellent striking affair too...and very evenly matched. Do you want this fight? And do you think we will get this fight? When will Kattar and Barboza plan to return to the octagon: Kattar coming from a beat down from Holloway in January, Barboza coming from a war with Burgos last week. 

3. Yair Rodriguez (#3) - Ninja fight. Yair is looking to come back and should be booked soon. Why not accept a fight with a veritable legend who is ranked Top 10? Barboza loves a challenge, and would embrace the opportunity to fight #3, and such a great striker and martial artist in Yair. #3 vs #9. Young vs old. Will we see Yair vs Edson next?

4. Max Holloway (#1) - If Max is not focused on the championship, and if he does not want to wait for Volkanovski/Ortega, and is looking to stay active, he may accept a fight with Barboza. Everyone respects Barboza for his skill and tenure. Max is a fan of the sport and may accept the fight simply to have Barboza on his resume. This matchup is unlikely though because Max is positioned at #1, and is at the door of a title shot. 

Responses

CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,389  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,968
  • Post Score: 172

05.19.2021 | 6:17 PM ET

I think he should get anyone in the #4-7 range. also if him and Ige keep winning they might have to run it back for #1 contender spot. they had a close fight and they seem to be heading in the same trajectory at nearly the same time.

"🏴 No Quarter Given 🏴"

rkn5
rkn5

05.19.2021 | 7:51 PM ET

Any fight with Barboza is awesome. I hope it’s Giga....only Kattar, from my list, meets your #4-7 criteria 
LiLSlaW
LiLSlaW
  • Predictions:  831  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  28
  • Post Score: 143

05.19.2021 | 8:02 PM ET

Definitely Yair for me, he's been too inactive and doesn't deserve a top 5 and Edson deserves that fight after finishing someone like Burgos

"Keep your stick on the ice and don't let your meat loaf"

rkn5
rkn5

05.19.2021 | 8:07 PM ET

Check and Slaw, let me know how you see my lightweight tier categories in another one of the posts I made today. 

Besides that I would rather have Giga vs Barboza or Giga vs Yair more than Barboza vs Yair...but hey all 3 are amazing strikers and any of these matchups will be exciting. I think Giga has his fight done, but it hasn’t been announced. And I think it’s Yair since he told mma junkie that he’s ready to return.
CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,389  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,968
  • Post Score: 172

05.19.2021 | 9:50 PM ET

I'd honestly like to see Barboza vs Stephens just to see Stephens get slept by spinning ****

"🏴 No Quarter Given 🏴"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

05.19.2021 | 11:01 PM ET

Edson Barboza vs. The Korean Zombie.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

rkn5
rkn5

05.20.2021 | 12:27 AM ET

Mike, 

When do they do Barboza vs TKZ? If TKZ wins against Ige?If TKZ loses? Or it doesn't matter the result?
MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,326  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

05.20.2021 | 3:27 AM ET

I'd like to say it doesn't matter because that fight would be madness, but a TKZ win sets up the fight pretty nicely. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Gabriel Benitez: Still flying the flag
  • UFC.com : Rhythm Is Gonna Get You: Why Timing Is Everything For Matheus Nicolau
  • MMA Junkie : Tatsuro Taira fills UFC 302 opening, fights Joshua Van
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Preview
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Malott books UFC return after upset loss to Neil Magny
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BTL live now
  • MMAFighting.com : Donald Cerrone reveals nasty injury preparing to ride Dana White’s Twisted Steel
  • MMA Mania : Once More, With Kicking
  • Bad Left Hook : Adrien Broner vs Blair Cobbs official for June 7, WBC title fight on undercard
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping says he's down for Luke Rockhold trilogy fight – with a condition
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith Pitches For Alex Pereira Fight, Says He ‘Would Really Step In The Fire’ With ‘Poatan’
  • Middle Easy : Khabib Nurmagomedov Threatened to ‘Rip Up’ UFC Contract to Get His Friend a Fight
  • MMA Mania : What’s The Holdup?
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Bisping would ‘100 percent’ have trilogy fight with Luke Rockhold in Karate Combat
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55's Bogdan Guskov still down for Anthony Smith fight despite 'friendly sparring'
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo Discusses UFC 301 Return And Boxing Match With Floyd Mayweather, Backs Conor McGregor To Finish Michael Chandler
  • Middle Easy : Leon Edwards’ Coach is ’99 Percent’ Certain the Belal Muhammad Fight Will Happen at UFC 304
  • UFC.com : Ryan Spann: Consistency Builds Confidence
  • MMA Junkie : Dan Hooker claps back at Renato Moicano: 'You're the easiest money I've ever seen in my life, you chinless scumbag'
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney releases first statement since Ryan Garcia loss, Oscar De La Hoya responds